D.J. Johnson

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: D.J. Johnson

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Duh. Don't you think the coach / mother situation gave Umass an edge in the recruiting battles.
I don’t see why you need to start off your comment with “Duh”.

It’s insulting, demeaning.

To your point, yes, it gives UMASS an edge in the recruiting battles. UMASS now has 5 players from Woodstock Academy and the Head Coach from Woodstock is on the UMASS staff. To the Bergeron is dating the mother of Tre Mitchell who was a ESPN Top 100 recruit and some predict will be Freshman of the Year in the A10.

Some predict if the UMASS HC does not do well this year that Bergeron could take the HC Spot.

What is wrong with any of this? Nothing is illegal. No Reports of any money changing hands. Bergeron is an Assistant Coach how coaches Tre Mitchell at Woodstock Academy and dated Mitchell’s mom, still does. Good for them.

What am I missing?

David Cox went to St John’s College HS, as did Jeff Dowtin. We got a commitment from Ishmael Leggett this year who plays at St Johns College HS. Did the fact that Cox and Dowtin are from the area and went to the same HS as Leggett help with the recruiting of Leggett? It’s networking, it’s building relationships. Happens throughout sports at High School, Prep Schools, College and Professional Sports too.

Duh - sorry couldn’t resist.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Duh. Don't you think the coach / mother situation gave Umass an edge in the recruiting battles.

To your point, yes, it gives UMASS an edge in the recruiting battles. UMASS now has 5 players from Woodstock Academy and the Head Coach from Woodstock is on the UMASS staff. To the Bergeron is dating the mother of Tre Mitchell who was a ESPN Top 100 recruit and some predict will be Freshman of the Year in the A10.

Some predict if the UMASS HC does not do well this year that Bergeron could take the HC Spot.

What is wrong with any of this? Nothing is illegal. No Reports of any money changing hands. Bergeron is an Assistant Coach how coaches Tre Mitchell at Woodstock Academy and dated Mitchell’s mom, still does. Good for them.

What am I missing?

David Cox went to St John’s College HS, as did Jeff Dowtin. We got a commitment from Ishmael Leggett this year who plays at St Johns College HS. Did the fact that Cox and Dowtin are from the area and went to the same HS as Leggett help with the recruiting of Leggett? It’s networking, it’s building relationships. Happens throughout sports at High School, Prep Schools, College and Professional Sports too.

To try to elaborate on my own thoughts about this a bit - There is something about all of this that makes me cringe. Basically, that an adult is using his or her connection with a teenager to help him at his next job. URI has definitely been on the positive end of this at times - Jimmy Baron was a pretty big help his years at the school - but I'm positive there are plenty of situations where Player X follows a coach to his college job out of obligation or a sense of loyalty, and it's actually an awful fit. (The worst case scenario of this sort of thing is what Lavar Ball has done to his non-Lonzo sons.)
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Well we gave a scholarship to Aris. That was a huge whiff.

Guess this is another one.
Aris: The Greek God of Bad Shots.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bring back Aris to start at center next year!!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago

What am I missing?

To try to elaborate on my own thoughts about this a bit - There is something about all of this that makes me cringe. Basically, that an adult is using his or her connection with a teenager to help him at his next job. URI has definitely been on the positive end of this at times - Jimmy Baron was a pretty big help his years at the school - but I'm positive there are plenty of situations where Player X follows a coach to his college job out of obligation or a sense of loyalty, and it's actually an awful fit. (The worst case scenario of this sort of thing is what Lavar Ball has done to his non-Lonzo sons.)
All true but it happens often. Oklahoma State just landed a recruit above their pay grade by hiring his brother. Who knows if Ty got the gig at URI bc it would influence/attract Terrell. PC hired Driscoll hoping he would bring some kids loyal to him. Nothing illegal about it, its all blood money. But its a dog eat dog business and with assistant position roles open, and a competent candidate in the market looking for a gig and dangling a 4* big you have to entertain it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago

What am I missing?

All true but it happens often. Oklahoma State just landed a recruit above their pay grade by hiring his brother. Who knows if Ty got the gig at URI bc it would influence/attract Terrell. PC hired Driscoll hoping he would bring some kids loyal to him. Nothing illegal about it, its all blood money. But its a dog eat dog business and with assistant position roles open, and a competent candidate in the market looking for a gig and dangling a 4* big you have to entertain it.
URI hires Ty Boswell - Rhody Fans say this is great. We can help get a pipeline going to Expressions Elite.
UMASS hires Tony Bergeron - Rhody fans say this makes me cringe. Big difference is Bergeron got 5 players and counting to commit to UMASS including an ESPN Top 100 in Mitchell plus 2 players from Rhode Island’s own Bishop Hendricken.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Walker's eligibility, and Hammonds continued development will give Cox a few more options.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

URI hires Ty Boswell - Rhody Fans day this is great. We can help get a pipeline going to Expressions Elite.
UMASS hires Tony Bergeron - Rhody fans say this makes me cringe. Big difference is Bergeron got 5 players and counting to commit to UMASS including an ESPN Top 100 in Mitchell plus 2 players from Rhode Island’s own Bishop Hendricken.
Exactly. Ty Boswell was a quid pro quo of Ukranian proportions. T
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago

URI hires Ty Boswell - Rhody Fans day this is great. We can help get a pipeline going to Expressions Elite.
Exactly. Ty Boswell was a quid pro quo of Ukranian proportions. T
Jerry DeGregorio hired by Jim Harrick as an Assistant Coach
#1 Ranked HS Player in the Nation arrives at URI
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago URI hires Ty Boswell - Rhody Fans say this is great. We can help get a pipeline going to Expressions Elite.
I don’t disagree with this, but when Ty was hired for the 16-17 season, it was for the DBO position, which actually kept them from getting Expressions guys for some time because of the rules about that. There are no such restrictions with assistants.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just rewatched his JUCO videos, theres no way this kid can't produce off the bench. Even if its minimal.
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

URI hires Ty Boswell - Rhody Fans say this is great. We can help get a pipeline going to Expressions Elite.
To be fair to others, -I- said I don't really like it, and that includes when it benefits Rhody, whether we're talking Boswell or the Barons. I realize I'm in the minority, but I think it would be better if the NCAA prohibited that, as opposed to basically allowing assistants and assistant coaches to be hired because they can bring specific players to your programs.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

To be fair to others, -I- said I don't really like it, and that includes when it benefits Rhody, whether we're talking Boswell or the Barons. I realize I'm in the minority, but I think it would be better if the NCAA prohibited that, as opposed to basically allowing assistants and assistant coaches to be hired because they can bring specific players to your programs.
I believe there was a waiting period on Boswell because he came from an AAU program. Bergeron came from a prep school.
If you don’t think Bergeron leveraged Mitchell to get the job you are kidding yourself. Bergeron is dating Mitchell’s mother.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Jtop_is_the_future
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Jtop_is_the_future »

I cant be the only one seeing DJ hit step back 3s from NBA range in warm ups and half time. I want to see what this kid can do in a game with his decent size.
1 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Playing in back to back days will we see him for a couple mins Friday?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Jtop_is_the_future wrote: 4 years ago I cant be the only one seeing DJ hit step back 3s from NBA range in warm ups and half time. I want to see what this kid can do in a game with his decent size.
Using a famous quote “I would think we have to the trust the coaches on this one”compared to warmups. If they thought he could make a substantial impact he would get time. There are a lot of good shooters in the junior college level that could never keep up with kids at this level. He obviously isn’t close.
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PLEASE don't make any judgments on a kids ability to play in games based on what they do in warmups. There is literally zero correlation.
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

DJ a sophomore or jr? Does he have the ability to red shirt if they don’t see a slot for him this year?
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

wgracie99 wrote: 4 years ago Playing in back to back days will we see him for a couple mins Friday?

If he were a guard maybe.
0 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

wgracie99 wrote: 4 years ago Playing in back to back days will we see him for a couple mins Friday?
Not playing back to back...games are Friday and Sunday
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I can still shoot threes in "warmups" and believe me, I cannot play at any level--

If he could contribute, he would be getting some time now. For sure something would have to dramatically change for him to get any time when Walker is eligible.

My only question is- who was responsible for recruiting him and that leaves a big question to the competency of that person.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe whoever recruited him watched him shoot in warmups?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I once saw Jimmy Christian hit 30 in a row back in 88 and he could never see the floor with Silk and Tommy G in front of him
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This is a total guess.
Cox has mentioned on several occasions that DJ has only played 3 years of basketball.
Maybe they are considering redshirting him as he develops D1 level skills.
Maybe they only use him if they have an injury.
Assuming he would play the SF he has Martin, Tate, Toppin & Long that can all see playing time at the SF before him.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Maybe whoever recruited him watched him shoot in warmups?

Exactly!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We’re 3-1 with the one loss being to Top 10 team in the country on the road.

He doesn’t need to be playing right now.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hammond didn’t get in either although he was ready when Fatts went to the locker room for his knee injury. URI played only 8. Hammond and Johnson did not. Walker eligible Western Kentucky game in one month.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago I once saw Jimmy Christian hit 30 in a row back in 88 and he could never see the floor with Silk and Tommy G in front of him
He got most of his minutes in the blow outs for sure. I'd love to see the minutes played by Garrick and Owens in 1987 and 1988 seasons. They played a ton and those teams ran and pressed quite a bit. I'm not as concerned as many on this board are about Jeff and Fatts minutes as long as they can remain healthy. It would be nice to have Sheppard too but it just didn't work out that way.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Redshirt year for skill development would be good, but u think it is more strength and conditioning program he needs. Just my uneducated guess
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody Guy wrote: 4 years ago Redshirt year for skill development would be good, but u think it is more strength and conditioning program he needs. Just my uneducated guess
Defense
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

DJ

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Decision made not to redshirt DJ. Could see his first action tomorrow night.
1 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Re: DJ

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Timing of this decision is very odd. The game before Walker comes back? If he could help why wait this long??? On the surface doesn't seem to make much sense
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Source? Reasoning?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Maybe someone left?
0 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Unleash the secret weapon on your archenemy

:)
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Just when I almost forgot....

44 percent three point shooter....
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I agree that the timing is weird.

Also, I guess I missed the announcement that he was being “held out” as a tactical move to preserve eligibility versus he was not playing because he isn’t ready to contribute and so they figured they might as well save the year and not play him in garbage time?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes seems wierd

If he played 1 or 2 games up until now could be still have red shirted ??
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Yes seems wierd

If he played 1 or 2 games up until now could be still have red shirted ??
No
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cool must be they wanted to take their time and make a decision

Time to unleash the Human Tarantula
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The tarantula that wasn’t ready?
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

If accurate, something tells me there’s more to this story.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Lets hope hes been kicking ass in Mackal pick up ball.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I haven't seen any of the players in mackal this year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Could this have anything to do with Toppin's knee or ankle (not sure which one it was)?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I tend to think it's more to do with DJ becoming more ready to play.

We sure could use his shooting in a key spot, if needed.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Could this have anything to do with Toppin's knee or ankle (not sure which one it was)?
No, he’s fine.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I think if you play no more than 20% of your team's games you are eligible for a red shirt year.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago I think if you play no more than 20% of your team's games you are eligible for a red shirt year.
Not entirely true. The 20% part is correct, but you also can't play after a certain point in the year. For example, if you only play 2 games, but those 2 games are the last 2 of the season, then that's a full year of eligibility was used. If they are the first two games, then you can red shirt. I don't really know the full details. Or maybe it's that if you play after 20% of games have been played you are out of luck?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I agree that the timing is weird.

Also, I guess I missed the announcement that he was being “held out” as a tactical move to preserve eligibility versus he was not playing because he isn’t ready to contribute and so they figured they might as well save the year and not play him in garbage time?
Even the walkons have played in games. You didn’t find it peculiar that he hadn’t played one minute yet?
1 x