'20 DC SG - Ishmael Leggett (Rhode Island Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Re: '20 DC SG - Ishmael Leggett (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Sounds like a great pick up. Athletic shooting guard, hard nose defender. Just what the doctor ordered.
I saw that he is an "efficient" scorer , but most other comments are about him finishing at the rim,
elite penetration, scoring through contact. Not much about his outside shot ,unless I missed it.
Any info on his shooting percentages? total and 3 point shot?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He shot 57% from the field last season
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago Sounds like a great pick up. Athletic shooting guard, hard nose defender. Just what the doctor ordered.
I saw that he is an "efficient" scorer , but most other comments are about him finishing at the rim,
elite penetration, scoring through contact. Not much about his outside shot ,unless I missed it.
Any info on his shooting percentages? total and 3 point shot?
In 18 games including Pool Play and Peach Jam EYBL AAU:
FT: 85-112 for 75.9%
3FG: 9-25 for 36%
FG: 96-199 for 48.2%

https://www.d1circuit.com/roster_player ... son=599727
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Based on his videos, scouting reports and muscular build he clearly looks like more of a slashing/attack the paint kind of guard, vs a perimeter scorer. I think the low number of 3 pt shots vs his other shots (12.5% of total attempts based on EYBL stats) seems to also indicate that.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Got a friend that’s been following DMV hoops for 30+ years. Here’s his take on the Leggett commit:

“It’s a nice pull. He’ll contribute immediately and he plays against the best talent so he’ll be fully prepared. He also goes to Cox’s HS so look out for that pipeline. He missed on Casey Morsell (UVA) last year who will be in the NBA but he’s well on his way w Leggett.”

I think a lot of this is known but interesting to consider potential pipeline angle.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Based on his videos, scouting reports and muscular build he clearly looks like more of a slashing/attack the paint kind of guard, vs a perimeter scorer. I think the low number of 3 pt shots vs his other shots (12.5% of total attempts based on EYBL stats) seems to also indicate that.
He is a PG. He is a SG.
As a comparison Jeff shot 62 threes his Soph yr in 34 games.

Leggett’s AAU team has six D1 20s including two highly ranked scorers.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yes seem a like a true combo guard. Love his build and his high shooting % and ability to finish with either hand seems to indicate he got a lot of buckets inside the 3 pt line. Built like a bull. Scouts also point to his high bball IQ which translates excellent for a lead guard/PG.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Came out of retirement just for a moment to say that this is the greatest recruiting stretch in living memory. Quite the feather in the cap of Coach Cox.

I was going to say recruiting class but then I realized all of the stickies at the top of the page represent commitments from two years. But that's what I am referring two, that list at the top of the page is probably the most impressive I have ever seen by a URI coach, and that is saying something. These are exciting times indeed.

edit. Sorry, I meant Coach Cox, truly impressive job
3 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Based on his videos, scouting reports and muscular build he clearly looks like more of a slashing/attack the paint kind of guard, vs a perimeter scorer. I think the low number of 3 pt shots vs his other shots (12.5% of total attempts based on EYBL stats) seems to also indicate that.
BAR, I agree with your assessment. The one thing about recruits for the DMV is that there are a ton of videos of actual games (edited to show scoring plays). Still it gives you a much better idea how a player plays than just watching highlight videos. One of the videos was St. Johns vs. Mcnamara with Mekhi Long which was interesting to watch, Watched several different videos of his games the last couple of days.

Not really a true point guard for sure, and undersized as a two, especially for the way he plays. He gets most of his points at the rim at the high school level. Not sure how that will translate at the college level, which is why he think he had very limited power five interest. When he shoots a 3, he is basically wide open as people play off of him, or he gets it in transition. Scouting report for him says to play off of him and do not let him get into the paint. He still does in a pretty effective manner. An interesting throwback player in many ways, one that you do not see a lot of anymore. Curious to see how it plays out at the college level.

I am kind of old school in preferring a pure point guard to run the team. Neither leggett or Wood is that right now. So as a tandem, I kind of question the fit together. They both are combo guards and neither one is a very good outside shooter. If one was a pure point, or a pure shooter, I would see the fit.

Looking forward to see how he does this year as the two best players from last years team are gone. One is off to Virginia as previously mentioned, Casey Morsell. The other, Darius Maddox is transferring to Oak Hill and has verbally committed to Virginia Tech.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Came out of retirement just for a moment to say that this is the greatest recruiting stretch in living memory. Quite the feather in the cap of Coach Cox.

I was going to say recruiting class but then I realized all of the stickies at the top of the page represent commitments from two years. But that's what I am referring two, that list at the top of the page is probably the most impressive I have ever seen by a URI coach, and that is saying something. These are exciting times indeed.

edit. Sorry, I meant Coach Cox, truly impressive job
First post , coming out of retirement?????????
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Last edited by theblueram 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Is RhodyFan3000 a friar guy?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago Is RhodyFan3000 a friar guy?
No idea how that statement could be made since that was RhodyFan3000’s first post ever. He just joined KB yesterday.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

You guys are the best
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
No idea how that statement could be made since that was RhodyFan3000’s first post ever. He just joined KB yesterday.
It's pretty common - people forget the username or password for their old account, and then, just make a new one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
It's pretty common - people forget the username or password for their old account, and then, just make a new one.
Yes

But what is confusing to me is that he is being thought of as a possible Friar guy. His initial post as having returned does not seem “Friarlike” to me. That was my point.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Coming out of retirement....Bressler?
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I just wanted to voice an opinion that I think Coach Cox is doing a great job, way beyond my expectations for him. Some people claim to be great recruiters, David Cox really is a great recruiter. Just wow. This signing is the exclamation point. I think this kid and the other kid, Wood, are going to compliment each other very nicely.

Anyway, I flubbed the compliment by saying "feather in a cap to Coach Hurley" instead. I was thinking David Cox, pictured him in my head, and typed Dan's name instead, probably because he was the challenge question to get on the site and it was still fresh in my mind. My brain is admittedly "rusty" and I'm not sharp like I once was. It's a little embarrassing, to be honest.

I think Cox is doing a fantastic job. I've been reading the updates here right along, but I think I'll keep my comments sparing. I seem to offend people I have no intention of offending these days, not just here but all over (I'm not blaming blueram).
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Yes

But what is confusing to me is that he is being thought of as a possible Friar guy. His initial post as having returned does not seem “Friarlike” to me. That was my point.
Me either. That’s why I asked the question. Somebody else said it and now looks like it was deleted.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Yes

Me either. That’s why I asked the question. Somebody else said it and now looks like it was deleted.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sticky???
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Coming out of retirement....Bressler?
Could it be?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Great interview by Chris.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I already like this kid.
1 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

so happy this didn't drag on with all the P5 schools starting to circle. he also says all the right things - feeling really fortunate we landed him.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago so happy this didn't drag on with all the P5 schools starting to circle. he also says all the right things - feeling really fortunate we landed him.
Georgetown visited him the week before his announcement.
Cox didn’t want any surprises so he flew down and spent 3 hours with Ish the day before his announcement.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Interesting he mentioned the beach as an attraction. I always thought that was overrated as a recruiting tool. Glad it was a factor this time. Have I ever said I love DiSano’s interviews? ;-)
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

1. Va Tech
2. URI
3, Seton Hall
4. URI.

Great job by the staff!
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago Interesting he mentioned the beach as an attraction. I always thought that was overrated as a recruiting tool. Glad it was a factor this time. Have I ever said I love DiSano’s interviews? ;-)
Three places they go to dinner - Matunuck Oyster Bar, Coast Guard House & Newport overlooking the harbor/boats (not sure of restaurant name).
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Chop House too
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great article it’s easy to root for a kid like Ish
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago 1. Va Tech
2. URI
3, Seton Hall
4. URI.

Great job by the staff!
What does this mean, Iggy? Did you mean to list URI at 2. And at 4.?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

2. URI
3, Seton Hall
4. URI.

Great job by the staff!
I presume the landing spots of the top 4 SGs.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
2. URI
3, Seton Hall
4. URI.

Great job by the staff!
I presume the landing spots of the top 4 SGs.
oh,ok 74, I get it. Thank you.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago
BAR, I agree with your assessment. The one thing about recruits for the DMV is that there are a ton of videos of actual games (edited to show scoring plays). Still it gives you a much better idea how a player plays than just watching highlight videos. One of the videos was St. Johns vs. Mcnamara with Mekhi Long which was interesting to watch, Watched several different videos of his games the last couple of days.

Not really a true point guard for sure, and undersized as a two, especially for the way he plays. He gets most of his points at the rim at the high school level. Not sure how that will translate at the college level, which is why he think he had very limited power five interest. When he shoots a 3, he is basically wide open as people play off of him, or he gets it in transition. Scouting report for him says to play off of him and do not let him get into the paint. He still does in a pretty effective manner. An interesting throwback player in many ways, one that you do not see a lot of anymore. Curious to see how it plays out at the college level.

I am kind of old school in preferring a pure point guard to run the team. Neither leggett or Wood is that right now. So as a tandem, I kind of question the fit together. They both are combo guards and neither one is a very good outside shooter. If one was a pure point, or a pure shooter, I would see the fit.

Looking forward to see how he does this year as the two best players from last years team are gone. One is off to Virginia as previously mentioned, Casey Morsell. The other, Darius Maddox is transferring to Oak Hill and has verbally committed to Virginia Tech.
I differ with you 4diffs :D

I have seen Leggett play live against excellent competition 5 times.
Leggett can shoot and has a nice release. His 3FG % of 36% exceeded Timberlake and Maddox at 28.4% and 23.3% respectively.

In 18 games including Pool Play and Peach Jam Nike EYBL AAU for Leggett:

Timberlake
FT: 89-124 for 71.8%
3FG: 21-74 for 28.4%
FG: 110-237 for 46.4%

Maddox
FT: 62-77 for 80.5%
3FG: 10-43 for 23.3%
FG: 110-238 for 46.2%

76% FT shooting is good for Leggett. He has the potential to become an 80+ FT Shooter which is very good
On Team Durant he did not take so many 3’s because #35 ESPN Earl Timberlake and #93 ESPN Darius Maddox took so many.
Timberlake took a lot of bad looking 3’s and appears more of a scorer than shooter to me.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramster, how many Assist did he have in AAU?
The games I watched of Team Durant Leggett was the starting PG. He started ahead of Ace Baldwin (VCU commit). Leggett was the 3rd or 4th scoring option. I see him as a PG at URI. Dowtin was a CG/SG in high school also. He transitioned to PG his Fr year very easily. I think Leggett’s high BB IQ and complete game will help him transition to a college PG.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Leggett had 45 assists in 18 games for 2.5 apg average
He seemed to play off the point in games I watched.

Anthony Cowan was the PG for St Johns when Dowtin played.
When Dowtin played at first at PG his Freshman year there were some very negative opinions of him playing PG. But Jeff showed an ever improving capability to handle the PG position. Jeff Even showed to be one of the top PGs nationally with a Top 3 A/TO ratio his Freshman and Sophomore years. Wonder how much, if any, time Jeff plays PG this year.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Great points all around. Let’s go!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Leggett had 45 assists in 18 games for 2.5 apg average
He seemed to play off the point in games I watched.

Anthony Cowan was the PG for St Johns when Dowtin played.
When Dowtin played at first at PG his Freshman year there were some very negative opinions of him playing PG. But Jeff showed an ever improving capability to handle the PG position. Jeff Even showed to be one of the top PGs nationally with a Top 3 A/TO ratio his Freshman and Sophomore years. Wonder how much, if any, time Jeff plays PG this year.
Will be fun for Jeff to get to play against Cowan this year.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This HS Video has now gone viral. I know it’s football but it’s getting St Johns a slew of publicity.
Antwain Littleton is from the same St Johns College HS as Leggett, Dowtin and Cox

285 pound running back is only a Junior!

https://sports.yahoo.com/285-pound-d-c- ... 53954.html
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago

I differ with you 4diffs :D

I have seen Leggett play live against excellent competition 5 times.
Leggett can shoot and has a nice release. His 3FG % of 36% exceeded Timberlake and Maddox at 28.4% and 23.3% respectively.

In 18 games including Pool Play and Peach Jam Nike EYBL AAU for Leggett:

Timberlake
FT: 89-124 for 71.8%
3FG: 21-74 for 28.4%
FG: 110-237 for 46.4%

Maddox
FT: 62-77 for 80.5%
3FG: 10-43 for 23.3%
FG: 110-238 for 46.2%

76% FT shooting is good for Leggett. He has the potential to become an 80+ FT Shooter which is very good
On Team Durant he did not take so many 3’s because #35 ESPN Earl Timberlake and #93 ESPN Darius Maddox took so many.
Timberlake took a lot of bad looking 3’s and appears more of a scorer than shooter to me.
It is OK to have different opinions, and I will give you credit for bringing some reasons as to why you disagree. Many others post their opinions as facts, with nothing to back them up.

This is not a hill I want to die on, and I do not want to come across as criticizing a recruit, that in many ways, I like. My point was that in combination with Wood, I am not sure that I am a big fan of the pairing if we are thinking these guys are our future point guards. There skills do not seem to complement each other well. And I am concerned about our lack of shooting, which neither one of these signings really addresses. You may disagree, but no teams are running sets to get either one of these guys three point shots.

Don't take my word for it on his game, read his own words. They are almost identical with what I said on how he scores the ball. He shot 25 3 point shots in 18 games. And he shot those in transition, or wide open when the defense was playing off of him. Since he shot less than 1.5 a game, and they were often uncontested, I do not think the percentage tells you much. In today's basketball, any guard who is a good shooter is taking more than 1.5 three's a game. It is something that he needs to work on is all.

I like the player. If he can transition to the point, and become a consistent three point shooter, then he will be a very good player. He needs to grow into that role, he is not there yet.

And the other thing, maybe neither one of these guys ends up playing the point, certainly not immediately. In 2020-2021, you still have Russell and Shepard to run the point. Gives them a year to transition, and depending on how that goes, maybe they bring in a true point guard for 2021-2022. But we need to shoot the ball better than we did last year. It seems once again, to my eyes, we are emphasizing athleticism over skill.

I root for the team unconditionally. I want all of the recruits to work out. I hope both of these guys have great careers at URI. Nothing would please me more.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Leggett will be a star here, if not right away he will be his last 2 years.

Like someone said, I think he will be as good if not better than Jeff after a couple of years.

Remember Jeff wasn't a pure PG when he came here. Leggett will go the same route and be successful at it.

Wood, if he pans out will be a 2.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Great AAU program Ish is coming from. Some alumni

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ish started and was a key player on a deep team.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Thanks for all the info and Chris's profile/interview. He comes across as a smart, capable and mature young man. And I LOVE his observations about Coach Cox being such a strong role model. Certainly bodes well for the future of our program!
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

God I wish this kid was a '19 now, with the news of Sheppard
2 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Re: '20 DC SG - Ishmael Leggett (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by bkoeppen »

0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Re: '20 DC SG - Ishmael Leggett (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Well spoken for an 18 year old kid.
0 x