11/9 | #7 Maryland | 9:00PM (FS1)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/9 | #7 Maryland | 9:00PM (FS1)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Depth killed us.

Thank christ walker gets to play for the second semester.

Hate bringing this up, but we are probably a Sheppard and Walker away from taking them to the brink.

Guys got tired. Stopped moving the ball around.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago How many years left on Cox's contract?
You are the definition of a female.
 ! Message from: ATPTourFan
Are you serious with this garbage?
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Missing a lot of open shots. Relatively easy shots at that. Not Cox fault. Gotta got those if we’re going to win games this year.
I wish him the best but he
Shows
Me
Nothing

Hope
I
Am
Wrong
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Lack of depth killed us
Lack of depth definitely hurts but we need more out of our upperclassmen in a game like this.

Dowtin, Fatts and Langevine:
8-32
10 turnovers
Last edited by josephski 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

So now we're judging Cox based on a loss where the players can't buy a bucket, against the #7 ranked team, where the effort they brought tonight was great? Get the F out of here!
6 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
You are the definition of a female.

And here comes the personal attacks

Classy !
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Dumb fucking comment, but that’s your m.o.
5 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Ugh!!! ECR is it time to cut bait??
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Until we get shooters, this is what we’ll be: a very athletic team that is way below average shooting. This equals (for the most part) winning vs average teams and losing vs above average teams
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Someone tell cox that you can’t carry timeouts to the next game

Should have called them
Around the 10
Min mark
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Mongo wrote: 4 years ago Ugh!!! ECR is it time to cut bait??
Wasn’t expecting a win but was expecting HEART
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I don’t feel very good about URI coaching tonight. Very simple game and URI never tried something different or played with any urgency after the first 4 minutes.

Same thing most of last year with URI never sprinting on offense or trying to score on the break. They are lethargic. They broke out of it after 3 months last year.

Why would Hammond be put in the game? URI hasn’t played in a week and won’t play for a week. Dowtin could have played the whole first half.

URI isn’t as bad a team shooting as they were tonight. They just take all bad shots.

Maryland sucks.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Is Hammond our three point guy!?!?!?

Might need to take the reins off Devale if he was a 44 percent three point shooter.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Thank goodness it’s over
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I'll never understand why we take as many 3s as we do. VCU is generally terrible from the 3 but they attack, attack, attack. I feel like we should be doing the same. I'm no coach but doing the same thing over and over again and failing is the very definition of insanity.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago I don’t feel very good about URI coaching tonight. Very simple game and URI never tried something different or played with any urgency after the first 4 minutes.

Same thing most of last year with URI never sprinting on offense or trying to score on the break. They are lethargic. They broke out of it after 3 months last year.

Why would Hammond be put in the game? URI hasn’t played in a week and won’t play for a week. Dowtin could have played the whole first half.

URI isn’t as bad a team shooting as they were tonight. They just take all bad shots.

Maryland sucks.

Coaching looked good at first.

Then there seemed to be nothing after that.

Just kinda got down and gave up.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Right -
No urgency and no
Heart
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

and ECR, I'm not sure I can take another year of your spamming the board every time they take a shot and miss. Could you limit that please?
9 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Probably missed about 15-20 open good looks. Hopefully we cut down on the missed going forward. Depth hurt us today.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Nighty night

That was disgusting
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago and ECR, I'm not sure I can take another year of your spamming the board every time they take a shot and miss. Could you limit that please?
Ummm... I’ll think
About it
0 x
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago I'll never understand why we take as many 3s as we do. VCU is generally terrible from the 3 but they attack, attack, attack. I feel like we should be doing the same. I'm no coach but doing the same thing over and over again and failing is the very definition of insanity.
That’s on Cox
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I prefer to look on the bright side. If this were a 12-minute game we would kick ass. :D
Last edited by PeteRI 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago and ECR, I'm not sure I can take another year of your spamming the board every time they take a shot and miss. Could you limit that please?
Strong agree, as well as the judgments that the kids play with "no heart" every time we lose.
8 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Last year: poor shooting team; no depth.
This year: poor shooting team; no depth
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Schooled by a legit national championship contender.

A game we had near zero chance to win so I’m not firing the coach after this one. Not losing any sleep over it either. Maryland defense was elite.

Harris looked pretty solid the only positive take for me.

Long season, Go Rhody.
13 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If the mods don’t ban ECR, ban my account.
1 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Bottom line is there is a reason Maryland is ranked #7 in the country. I'm as disappointed as everyone else here, but anyone who watched how this team shot last season should not be surprised by what they saw tonight.

I am still not 100% sold on Cox, and I think he does need to get a signature win under his belt early this season, but this was never going to be the game where that happened.
1 x
URIGradDad
Michael Andersen

Unread post by URIGradDad »

There are many positives to take away from tonight. The first 10 minutes or so were spectacular. May I remind you on the road against the #7 team in the country? MD's depth, length, and strength was just too much.

URI will be relevant in the A10, no doubt.
5 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I know the 1-3-1 zone affected us but we stopped playing as a team after the 15 min mark in the first half. Then we gave up.
I just wish we had a guy that could shoot. Don’t feel confident when any of our shots go up.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Schooled by a legit national championship contender.

A game we had near zero chance to win so I’m not firing the coach after this one. Not losing any sleep over it either. Maryland defense was elite.

Long season, Go Rhody.
Exactly. This board is fucking stupid.
8 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

URIGradDad wrote: 4 years ago There are many positives to take away from tonight. The first 10 minutes or so were spectacular. May I remind you on the road against the #7 team in the country? MD's depth, length, and strength was just too much.

.......care to expand on the many positives?.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
URIGradDad wrote: 4 years ago There are many positives to take away from tonight. The first 10 minutes or so were spectacular. May I remind you on the road against the #7 team in the country? MD's depth, length, and strength was just too much.

One of the positives was the kid you gave up on and shitted on
4 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Can’t give MD defense credit for the dozen or so open looks or the dozen bunnies we missed. That’s on us.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The loss of Sheppard is huge...we have 2 guards. That is coaching malpractice.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

These guys played hard for sure but we don’t schedule Maryland to lose. Yea we didn’t have a shot going in but we matched them play for play in the first half and as a program that wants to get back on top, we all should expect better. This is the only game I expected to not have a good shot at winning this season. From here on out, they NEED to win or it’s no March for us.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
GO RAMS
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Bottom line, this hurts because the team took 9 more shots than MD, won some hustle plays including 20(!) offensive boards and played very competitively. Just the whole "making shots" thing didn't work out: URI 30%, MD 45% shooting.

It may be the amount of effort given elsewhere that led to the poor shooting (due to exhaustion), at least I hope so or we're back to last year's conundrum.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Schooled by a legit national championship contender.

Long season, Go Rhody.
If Maryland doesn't get much better throughout the season there is no way they're finishing #7 or higher. Definitely a very good team and better than us but other than their size they did not look like a team who'd be competing for a national championship.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hey yall... we are also looking WAAAAAAAAAY better at the start of this year as opposed to last year.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago These guys played hard for sure but we don’t schedule Maryland to lose. Yea we didn’t have a shot going in but we matched them play for play in the first half and as a program that wants to get back on top, we all should expect better. This is the only game I expected to not have a good shot at winning this season. From here on out, they NEED to win or it’s no March for us.
You mean they don’t schedule us to lose....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I thought we played great for the first 15 or so minutes

Maryland made adjustments and pretty much schooled us after that as they are a legit top 10 team

I don’t have any problems with Cox he let the players play and they were just more talented than us

I did think we played pretty crappy in the 2h too many missed shots especially layups

Bottom line is we should definitely compete for the A10 title when we get into conference we will be battle tested
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Once Maryland stopped turning the ball over, things started to change. If Maryland has a forum, I’m sure it was filled with negative posts from frustrated fans in the first 12 minutes. The 1 3 1 changed things, too.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Lack of depth killed us
We have a lack of depth
1 x
URIGradDad
Michael Andersen

Unread post by URIGradDad »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago

Sure, URI coming out very aggressively and being the better team for the first 10 minutes or so including doubling up MD 24-12 on the road against the #7 team, Cox and the staff had them ready to go early, Harris played well, Langevine with 17 rebounds against some monster guys (did you take a look at Jalen Smith who he was matched up with a lot?), and Martin had some bright spots but got saddled with foul trouble.

Once again, the #7 team in country on the road in a hostile environment is a difficult proposition.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

your stars have to shine in games like this. they didn't. this game was there for the taking. JD and Fatts had poor shooting nights. if they have average shooting nights, we still lose, but at least make it look respectable. if they have very good shooting nights we may win.

MD is a better team, no doubt, but if i'm going to put a positive spin on this, it's not like our stars played well and we got blown out anyway. that was the one team on our schedule that we had "no chance" against and as it turned out, if our stars gave us a better game, we would have had a chance. i think that bodes well going forward. i don't believe there is a game left on our schedule we can't win.
4 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

As fans we saw the flaws this team had last year. I believe Coaching staff did also but it hasn’t been addressed (even if he tried). Same team this year with different guys coming off the bench. Last year our excuse was that we had to depend on FR too much. Guess what? Looks like the same this year. Hammond is Silverio (can hit occasional 3 but lost on D); DJ is Preston (athletic JC who is not ready to contribute); Long is Thompson (steady guy who you can’t expect much O from)

The Shepard situation sucks but that falls solely on the coaching staff. They had to have known that was a possibility and with another scholarship available, needed to make sure we had a G ready to contribute.
4 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

My only issue with this game was that it showed regression back to the first half of last season where the team looked great and then seemingly deserted the game plans they had and started taking bad shots. Maybe that was MD defense but it was the same thing they did last season so I’m not so sure
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Rhody22 wrote: 4 years ago As fans we saw the flaws this team had last year. I believe Coaching staff did also but it hasn’t been addressed (even if he tried). Same team this year with different guys coming off the bench. Last year our excuse was that we had to depend on FR too much. Guess what? Looks like the same this year. Hammond is Silverio (can hit occasional 3 but lost on D); DJ is Preston (athletic JC who is not ready to contribute); Long is Thompson (steady guy who you can’t expect much O from)

The Shepard situation sucks but that falls solely on the coaching staff. They had to have known that was a possibility and with another scholarship available, needed to make sure we had a G ready to contribute.
Those are the worst comparisons haha

Hammond is not Silverio

DJ is not Preston

Long is not Thompson

Horrible horrible take
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodysk wrote: 4 years ago Toppin is no joke! He can fly. Almost another put back dunk.
He is fun to watch! Will be great to see him develop more this season.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Just left the game. Are we seriously bringing up firing Cox already? Give me a freaking break.

It was frustrating, but we lost to a national contender on their home court. CALM DOWN.

I’m very happy Jermaine Harris woke up after some posters wanted him gone one game into his 2nd year....We needed a huge game from our vets and we didn’t get it. It’s that simple for me.

Friday will tell me a lot more about this team. Go Rhody!!
8 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING