11/9 | #7 Maryland | 9:00PM (FS1)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/9 | #7 Maryland | 9:00PM (FS1)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago No. Billyboy was talking about San Francisco as the subject was the highest ranked team we have ever beaten - related to us playing Maryland tomorrow.
Billyboy remembered SanFrancisco back when they had Bill Cartwright, Winfred Boynes And James Hardy. San Francisco was loaded back then

Kansas was #1 Seed in the NCAA Tournament but was never ranked #1 in AP Polls that year.

I’m pretty sure Billyboy was talking National Ranking only.
Yeah, I was wrong about SF. I think they were ranked very high that year, maybe even #1, but when we beat them, they were ranked #19.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

There are obviously some issues. It says Purdue was ranked #3 in 1993, but they had an 18-10 record and were a #9 seed in the Tournament.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago For everyone disagreeing with my post about rankings, you'd better bring it up with whoever writes this...
https://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/index
Scroll down to "All-time vs. ranked opponents.
Billy’s link seems to just be going to the MBB page on gorhody. I tried to get a good link here, but if it doesn’t work there is a picture of the page attached. I have to say, I think URI is just wrong about Purdue’s rank in 1993. Good question to raise to the SID. (Apropos if nothing, I was at that game as a 1st grader.)

https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfront.net/6 ... d_Book.pdf
Attachments
CED5A07F-ECDE-4B55-9E46-7F66149F73BA.jpeg
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Purdue was not ranked #3 when Rhody beat them in 1993. Even the NCAA committee isn't that inept to put a 3rd ranked team in the 8/9 game... well, maybe... I think they were ranked #22.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
theblueram
Frank Keaney

yeah, I just thought Billyboy transposed Syracuse and Purdue seeds and was off on Kansas.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI was the 8-seed playing 9-seed Purdue
Purdue’s Glenn “Big Dog” Robinson was phenomenal scoring 36 points.
Robinson the 1st player selected in the NBA Draft and was popularly viewed as the best player in the nation

I was there in Winston Salem for the big URI win

Unfortunately what was an NCAA Tournament high turned into an NCAA Tournament low (if there is such a thing) when we got trampled by 1-seed North Carolina in front of a slew of UNC fans in Winston Salem.

Lots of Keaney Blue Attire in the stands and of course similar tune from the UNC band
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I was just going by what it said in the record book. Obviously, it's a mistake.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

When do the guys fly out?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago
University of Rhode Island vs University of Maryland
XFINITY Center, College Park, MD
Saturday, November 9, 2019
9:00PM

Media
TV: FS1
Online: FS1 Online
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App

Previews:
Maryland Fan Site on 247 Sports
Another Maryland Fan Site on 247 Sports
Yet Another Maryland Fan Site

This is the second time in 4 years URI is playing a top 10 Maryland team. The last time they played them it was in Cancun and they were ranked #2 in the country. This game will certainly be a test for Rams as this is by far the toughest game on the schedule. Going into the #7 team in the country’s home court and stealing out a win will need an almost perfect game from every player on the team. With that being said, to quote Kevin Garnett…ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!! Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
1-0, 0-0 in the Big Ten
Last season: 23-11, 13-7 in the Big Ten

Rankings:
RPI: 25 (Last Season)
KenPom: 17
NCAA NET: 25 (Last Season)

Leaders :
Points – Jalen Smith, 16.0 (Soph., F)
Rebounds – Jalen Smith, 11.0 (Soph., F)
Assists – Anthony Cowan Jr, 5.0 (Sr., G) (2.0 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 1-3
H: 0-0, A: 0-2, N: 1-1
Most Recent Matchup: 11/25/15 86-63 L in Cancun
Most Recent Win Streak: 3 – Maryland
Matchup Predictor: 22.4% Chance of URI Winning
Nice write up Spookydog!

Nice match up for Anthony Cowan vs Jeff Dowtin who played together at St Johns College HS. Cowan was PG while Jeff played SG.
Jeff played a phenomenal PG for URI his Freshman and Soph years. Will be interesting to see if David Cox matches Dowtin up against Cowan at some point Saturday

Fatts Russell played with Donta Scott at Imhotep

St Johns and Imhotep both became Top 10 ranked USA Today during these 4 players careers.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago When do the guys fly out?
On the way now, per their IG stories.
1 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Made the last minute decision to plan a road trip down Saturday morning. In trying to be realistic, I will mark this trip as worth it if I see Fatts have good shot selection, Jermaine provide solid minutes, Martin score 20 pts, and URI be within 10 points at the 10 minute mark second half. If none of those things happen and URI wins I will also accept that.

But tbh, I want to see URI respond well to a tough road matchup while early in the season, with Cox providing good coaching. Go Rhody.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What is our record vs top 10 teams during reg season since that win in 66 ???
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago What is our record vs top 10 teams during reg season since that win in 66 ???
As Dean Wormer said in Animal House Zero Point Zero!
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Having several players from the Maryland area may be advantageous due to their familiarity with the facility and the opposing players including also
Danta Scott a former teammate of Fatts' . Hoping that will reduce the likelihood of any intimidation factor.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Can someone help me?
I am going to the URI mens soccer playoff game then my dad and I would like to watch the Maryland game. Where is the closest place to campus where I could watch this game?
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Maryland preview. Also some podcast talk in the link below on LIU and the Terrapins.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... t-maryland
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Can someone help me?
I am going to the URI mens soccer playoff game then my dad and I would like to watch the Maryland game. Where is the closest place to campus where I could watch this game?
For places where you are likely to be able to see the game: I see Mews Tavern in Wakefield 15 minutes from the soccer fields and Twisted Pizza on South County Trail in Exeter 11 minutes from the soccer fields. Back 40 further north is also 15 minutes. It is a late game, so closer places that may broadcast games time to time won't really be open.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Anybody know of Ish will be at the game tomorrow night?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago Anybody know of Ish will be at the game tomorrow night?
He will be behind the bench.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We have a chance for our best Regular Season Win since AP Polls began.

0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let's see; I was at the 65-66 PC game and the Kansas game. BTW the Kansas game was like a home game for them as the game was in Oklahoma City with at least 90 per cent of the crowd rooting for them and their d-bag coach Roy Williams.
Flew down with the team yesterday and they are ready.
Going to be at tonight's game so you never know...........
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Big day for Rhody!

David Cox has gone into Maryland to pull out top level talent time and time again. He goes into Maryland to pull out the big W tonight!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Let's see; I was at the 65-66 PC game and the Kansas game. BTW the Kansas game was like a home game for them as the game was in Oklahoma City with at least 90 per cent of the crowd rooting for them and their d-bag coach Roy Williams.
Flew down with the team yesterday and they are ready.
Going to be at tonight's game so you never know...........
Keep posting Eli
Please let us know about potential recruits at the game and also past players
Wish I could be there
:D :D :D :D :D
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I know everybody’s talking about the big three heading into this game. However in order for us to stay competitive with Maryland who’s got size and can score in bunches, Harris and Martin need to have big games. Harris is going to need to neutralize Maryland’s size. Martin needs to put up 20+ in my opinion for us to take this game.
Go Rhody.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Interesting, it sounds like they’ll be starting 4 guards. Wonder if Tate could get the start over Harris.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote: 4 years ago
Interesting, it sounds like they’ll be starting 4 guards. Wonder if Tate could get the start over Harris.
Harris is coming home. What kind of message does that send to Harris, his family and friends and to others? He gets all excited and then benched? I don’t agree with not starting Harris at all which I know is going against many posters here, but never would I pull that surprise “going back home”.
In addition, Harris does a very good job with opening jump balls. Who would jump Center?
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Harris is coming home. What kind of message does that send to Harris, his family and friends and to others? He gets all excited and then benched? I don’t agree with not starting Harris at all which I know is going against many posters here, but never would I pull that surprise “going back home”.
In addition, Harris does a very good job with opening jump balls. Who would jump Center?
I couldn't really care less who wins the opening jump so stick Fatts there for the hell of it.

If Maryland starts 4 guards then Tate's probably a better option in my opinion. It's that simple. It's not benching Harris because he hasn't played well, it's benching him for matchup purposes. If Harris is not capable of understanding that, then we have bigger problems.

Also who cares who starts the game? Harris almost never played at the end of games last season so what type of message does that send? Players aren't dumb. They know what minutes they're getting and where they stand in the team. Dion Waiters, who went to the NBA after his sophomore season at Syracuse, never started a game for Cuse if I remember correctly.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I couldn't really care less who wins the opening jump so stick Fatts there for the hell of it.

If Maryland starts 4 guards then Tate's probably a better option in my opinion. It's that simple. It's not benching Harris because he hasn't played well, it's benching him for matchup purposes. If Harris is not capable of understanding that, then we have bigger problems.

Also who cares who starts the game? Harris almost never played at the end of games last season so what type of message does that send? Players aren't dumb. They know what minutes they're getting and where they stand in the team. Dion Waiters, who went to the NBA after his sophomore season at Syracuse, never started a game for Cuse if I remember correctly.
It sounds like you care who starts

If Maryland starts 4 guards then why should we? Means we have a height mismatch with Langevine and Harris inside to exploit. Just because a team goes with 4 guards doesn’t mean we have to. If Maryland played 5 guards should we?

Plus I’d start Toppin over Tate if I’m going that direction
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This game would put a HUGE amount in the bank come March. Let's GO RHODY!!!!!!!
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

It sounds like you care who starts
Are you thick? My initial post was "Wonder if Tate will get the start over Harris". I don't care if Harris starts or not. I'm not a D1 basketball coach and while it might make sense in my mind to start Tate and try Harris off the bench, I'm not going to be concerned if it doesn't happen.

I thought it was interesting given how much people have talked about Maryland's size advantage, they might start with a four guard lineup.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Just arrived at the hotel in the college park area. Couldnt be more excited for this game! Hopefully we can make this a close game and make the home fans sweet a little bit. If Maryland struggles from three uri could hang in this game. It would be amazing to get the performance fatts had at saint Joseph's last year in front of his home friends and family from jeff dowtin tonight! I know wishful thinking but jeff would be the man to do it.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Even if they do start 4 guards, Jalen Smith will require at least 2 big men to hold him under a 20 and 20 game. Kid is a borderline top 10 pick next year.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Will they have this game on the app ?

This 7pm game won’t be done In time
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

LETS GO RHODY !!!
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago Will they have this game on the app ?

This 7pm game won’t be done In time
It’ll be on FS2 if the game goes over.
618 on directv
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Great TY
1 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Good luck, everyone... including those of you playing the game. ;)
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Also will be streaming at: http://www.foxsports.com/watch/1131924
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

USWNT vs. Sweden is close - US up 3-2 on FS2 Not sure if international friendlies go to OT. Hope not.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Got here an hour early to watch the guys warm up. Dowtin, Fatts, and Tyrese look locked in.

I love what I saw from Toppin last game but I haven’t seen him come close to hitting one 3pt shot. Line drives.

Anything can happen! Go Rhody!!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Cox needs to prove himself. Get the win.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Let’s go !
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This Texas Purdue game needs to hurry up!
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We are tipping at 912 pm
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Not on FS2

9:12 tip
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Stream isn't started yet on foxsports.com or the app...but the game on FS1 says the URI/MD tip off is at 9:12pm. Hope we don't miss much.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pray for no OT
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Pls no OT

UGHHHH