11/5 | Long Island University | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: 11/5 | Long Island University | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago 1-0. Nice to get one in the books. This game went kind of the way most first games of the season tend to go. Shit gets real on Saturday!
Exactly. I don’t expect us to win, but I do fully expect to give UMD HELL!
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago To early to say, but with Toppin’s debut, maybe our depth is not as bad which the transfers out
Silver lining, we may be able to survive the storm.
This
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Fatts, Cyril, Jeff and Tyrese all as advertised. Great games for Fatts and Cyril, very solid for Jeff and Tyrese. Good from Dana. Very happy with Toppin. Everyone else will have chances to get on the good list. Concerns for me are Harris's continued issues with fouls and inability to identify their shooters and chase them off the line...too many open threes for my taste and what I've become used to around here.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Maryland ahead of Holy Cross 80-62 with 7 mins left.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4,258 attendance
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Langevine needs to finish. Should be shooting close to 60% not 40%.
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Good news was while overall shooting not high, 3-point shooting percentage was ABOVE 20% lol.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Langevine needs to finish. Should be shooting close to 60% not 40%.
First game of the year big boy, you happy with his 15 boards or no?
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Decent first game but what I really liked was Toppin. The potential is there. I want to see more of him. Maryland is going to be tough but I think we will fight and hang in there.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Toppin's going to be a stud, just like his brother.

And boy do we need him, since Harris looks like a flame out, and no Walker for 8 more games.

Other than Harris, an OK first game. Yeah the 3 pt. D wasn't good....but LIU shot 44 of them because they couldn't get inside.

Between RIC and LIU, that's NINETY 3 pt. attempts. We won't see that again.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Langevine needs to finish. Should be shooting close to 60% not 40%.
People have always been crazy when it comes to Langevine. Complaining about his hands, about a couple turnovers, or missed free throws. The guys is an absolute beast. I could care less about the hands or the turnovers. He's not perfect, I guess, but he is awesome.
5 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
People have always been crazy when it comes to Langevine. Complaining about his hands, about a couple turnovers, or missed free throws. The guys is an absolute beast. I could care less about the hands or the turnovers. He's not perfect, I guess, but he is awesome.
I’ll take 5 Cyrils on the floor, he’ll out work everyone
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Does anyone know why DJ Johnson didn’t play?
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Love the numbers but they are relative to his opportunities. 7 for 17? 10 for 17, he scores 22, and we meet or better expectations.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone know why DJ Johnson didn’t play?
He’s not ready. This is a different level of ball than what he’s used too. If he isn’t doing what Coach wants to see in practice, he won’t see the floor.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

It’s funny reading the “in game” posts. Seems like we’re down by 40 when we’re up by 15. Like the end of the world until the buzzer sounds.
Not a perfect game, but it’s game one. Everyone played like it’s game one. This is going to be a team that grinds it out. We’re not going to blow anyone out this year so buckle up for some battles. Go Rhody.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

What’s funny is, I don’t think Cyril had a great game, but his top line stats say otherwise.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Gotta say I was impressed with Toppin. Nice debut. Thought the team got lackadaisical at time, otherwise this should have been a blow out. Plus LIU can hit the 3's.
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Good win
Last edited by RhodyRams916 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

LIU shot 44 threes.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago LIU shot 44 threes.
How many did they make? Can't find a box score.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Langevine should AVERAGE 16 pts/10 reb this year, with some games where he dominates. And he’s one of our best defensive players. He’s not going to magically develop soft hands, just deal with it folks. He’s a stud and we’re lucky to have him. I expect a big senior year from him.

Bring on Maryland!
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago LIU shot 44 threes.
How many did they make? Can't find a box score.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Attendance about 2500?
300 section about 35% full. 200 section about 75%. 100 section about the same.
huh? did you mean "300 section about 3.5% full?"
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago Langevine should AVERAGE 16 pts/10 reb this year, with some games where he dominates. And he’s one of our best defensive players. He’s not going to magically develop soft hands, just deal with it folks. He’s a stud and we’re lucky to have him. I expect a big senior year from him.

Bring on Maryland!
Mark my words, Jalen Smith is very talented, but Cyril will give him quite the matchup
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone know why DJ Johnson didn’t play?
He’s not ready. This is a different level of ball than what he’s used too. If he isn’t doing what Coach wants to see in practice, he won’t see the floor.
But Dadika sees action. What gives?
1 x
mattyb311
Jim Eitner

Unread post by mattyb311 »

If Toppin continues on this trajectory, how long till he replaces Harris as a starter....
1 x
Stay Positive and Love Your Life
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

mattyb311 wrote: 4 years ago If Toppin continues on this trajectory, how long till he replaces Harris as a starter....
........for me, tomorrow works, but harsh on Harris I am.......we will see.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I bet Toppin sees 20 minutes vs Maryland.
1 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Coming into this season, I felt Iike the two biggest factors in our potential run at a tourney bid were: 1) Harris being healthy and becoming an impact player, and 2) Fatts having a bounce back season. I feel much more confident in Fatts than I do Harris. I know he was highly-touted, but maybe he’s just not that good. I hate accepting that, but I can only go by what my eyes are telling me.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

mattyb311 wrote: 4 years ago If Toppin continues on this trajectory, how long till he replaces Harris as a starter....
two weeks? Look for our "Toppin Time!" sign, next game.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I care. He’s a 4th year senior starter who still puts the ball on the floor before going up with it. I saw Toppin master that move as a true freshman.

Langevine is missing easy layups and he apparently refuses to dunk the ball 80% of the time - which would be fine if he could make more than 40% of his layups.

The kid for sure ain’t Jarelle Reischel or Jon Clark - but he’s a far cry from Hassan or awesome.

He’s serviceable with tremendous upside that looks like we will not see consistently, which is extremely disappointing in my opinion.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He’s going to average 15/11 probably, make first team all-conference and decent chance to be all-defensive team. What a bum.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago Coming into this season, I felt Iike the two biggest factors in our potential run at a tourney bid were: 1) Harris being healthy and becoming an impact player, and 2) Fatts having a bounce back season. I feel much more confident in Fatts than I do Harris. I know he was highly-touted, but maybe he’s just not that good. I hate accepting that, but I can only go by what my eyes are telling me.
.........for me, post of the nite so far, regarding Harris, the eyes keep on telling the same, year one plus one game, what really do we have here?......you all tell me.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Feel better about the team after seeing the game tonight. Toppin looked really good and needs to play; probably at the four. Long made a couple nice plays in the first half as well. Not giving up on Harris yet. I like that Fatts and Dowtin played within themselves; didn't force anything, and still scored. Tyrese was solid too. Good start for sure.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

I care. He’s a 4th year senior starter who still puts the ball on the floor before going up with it. I saw Toppin master that move as a true freshman.

Langevine is missing easy layups and he apparently refuses to dunk the ball 80% of the time - which would be fine if he could make more than 40% of his layups.

The kid for sure ain’t Jarelle Reischel or Jon Clark - but he’s a far cry from Hassan or awesome.

He’s serviceable with tremendous upside that looks like we will not see consistently, which is extremely disappointing in my opinion.
That’s not a serious take is it. You have to be fucking kidding me

I guess a double/double machine isn’t “awesome”
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago Coming into this season, I felt Iike the two biggest factors in our potential run at a tourney bid were: 1) Harris being healthy and becoming an impact player, and 2) Fatts having a bounce back season. I feel much more confident in Fatts than I do Harris. I know he was highly-touted, but maybe he’s just not that good. I hate accepting that, but I can only go by what my eyes are telling me.
.........for me, post of the nite so far, regarding Harris, the eyes keep on telling the same, year one plus one game, what really do we have here?......you all tell me.....
someone having a tough time staying on the floor?
I can't ever recall a stretch where he seemed 'in the flow' on the court.

Toppin Time...he be hoppin' and poppin'!
4 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Serviceable lol. Hassan was one of my all-time favorite Rams, but Cyril averaged more points and rebounds as a junior than Hassan did as a senior. Hassan’s shot-blocking prowess sets him apart from Cyril and most other comparable players, but to say Cyril pales in comparison is just short-sighted. Any team in the A-10 would kill for a player like him. I didn’t realize we should be pining for the days of Jamaal Wise. Yeesh.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

He’s serviceable with tremendous upside that looks like I’m we will not see consistently, which is extremely disappointing in my opinion.
Yikes. He shot 56.7% from the field last year, which is good for 4th in the a10. He was 1st in the A10 in total rebounding and 9th in player efficiency ranking. Serviceable?
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago

He’s serviceable with tremendous upside that looks like I’m we will not see consistently, which is extremely disappointing in my opinion.
Yikes. He shot 56.7% from the field last year, which is good for 4th in the a10. He was 1st in the A10 in total rebounding and 9th in player efficiency ranking. Serviceable?
Eh maybe I’m just salty because I bet Rhody twice tonight and lost. Still frustrating to watch him turn the ball over and bobble passes but you guys are probably right. I’ll get over it in the morning. Carry on.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s cool man. I’m salty also, because my Rhody moneyline/Celts -6.5 didn’t hit because Cleveland just decided not to foul at the end of the game. Boooooo.
0 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Core 4 all had good games, but still a bit rusty. I just can’t figure out what one thing Harris can work on to get over the hump. He just looks lost out there...and his frustration from fouling can be blamed most times on bouncing to a location where he should defend verses an athletic move to get there. His super ball leg action makes him late to the play most times and prone to fouling.

I love Toppin. Great ups, hands, D, and most of all - great overall court sense, vision, and timing. Not sure who was the best URI freshman ever, but my money is on this kid to make a run at it.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago It’s cool man. I’m salty also, because my Rhody moneyline/Celts -6.5 didn’t hit because Cleveland just decided not to foul at the end of the game. Boooooo.
Yup. That too. Banner night.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

my observations from tonight:

not going to get down on cyril. i've noticed the first couple games each year he has a hard time finishing at the basket, but he seems to find his mark after a week or two. nice to see his 10 foot jumper go down. don't recall ever seeing him take a jumper before. of course he did follow it up with an air ball later in the game.

not ready to anoint Toppin just yet, but wow! he does have some serious ups and he seems to play with confidence. on the post game they were saying he can stick the 3. if true, he is going to be fun to watch.

team was a little lax at times passing the ball. going to need to button that up before UMD.

Fatts and Dowtin were solid.

Harris is still Harris. he does seem to pick up so tough fouls, but i believe they are legit. kid just can't get out of his own way.

allowed far to many wide open 3s. i guess that's the price you pay when you take chances on defense.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

For me..one of the most encouraging moments of the game (and hopefully the season)...in the first half, there was a stretch where Cox subbed Toppin for Harris (or CL, I don't remember), and then through the next several subs, including Harris for CL or vice versa a couple times, Toppin stayed on through all of them. Great news. (He looks like he might be able to use a few more LBs, but the staff folks know what he needs better than I do).

Even though this wasn't a blowout, it still never felt like an "every possession counts" game. If it isn't that way on Saturday, that'll probably be bad..
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Fatts, Cyril, Jeff and Tyrese all as advertised. Great games for Fatts and Cyril, very solid for Jeff and Tyrese. Good from Dana. Very happy with Toppin. Everyone else will have chances to get on the good list. Concerns for me are Harris's continued issues with fouls and inability to identify their shooters and chase them off the line...too many open threes for my taste and what I've become used to around here.
Great games for Jeff and Cyril? They shot 12 for 31. Not worried about them at all, though that is about as bad as either of them can play IMO. Half of Cyril's rebounds were off his own missed layups. Jeff missed a bunch of mid range shots he normally makes. Toppin is active, has great instincts, and is going to get PT. Great floor game by Fatts, if he can be more selective with shots and impact the game in other ways (steals, assists) he will be havoc for other teams. Tyrese was Tyrese, steady and box score stuffer.

Tough to judge much against that passive zone they played. I doubt we have spent large amounts of time working against a passive 2-3 zone look, and it showed. Ball didn't move enough, got sticky, and then we settled for way too many deep shots we didn't have to take. Good to get 1 out of the way, and I think those Toppin boys can play!!! On to College Park.
1 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Full coverage from Tuesday.

2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Harris had more fouls than points and rebounds combined...

Absolutely inexcusable. He has a year under his belt, He’s not injured, Playing against an inferior opponent. Should not happen.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago

Serviceable lol. Hassan was one of my all-time favorite Rams, but Cyril averaged more points and rebounds as a junior than Hassan did as a senior. Hassan’s shot-blocking prowess sets him apart from Cyril and most other comparable players, but to say Cyril pales in comparison is just short-sighted. Any team in the A-10 would kill for a player like him. I didn’t realize we should be pining for the days of Jamaal Wise. Yeesh.

Absolutely cannot compare Cyril’s stats from last year to Hassan’s senior year. Hassan was on a stacked team, a ranked team, an A10 and NCAA tournament winning team, where Cyril was on a .500 team. Put Hassan on last years team and his numbers skyrocket to probably 18/20 points and 10/12 rebounds.
1 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Fatts, Cyril, Jeff and Tyrese all as advertised. Great games for Fatts and Cyril, very solid for Jeff and Tyrese. Good from Dana. Very happy with Toppin. Everyone else will have chances to get on the good list. Concerns for me are Harris's continued issues with fouls and inability to identify their shooters and chase them off the line...too many open threes for my taste and what I've become used to around here.
Great games for Jeff and Cyril? They shot 12 for 31. Not worried about them at all, though that is about as bad as either of them can play IMO.
Yeah man, I don’t agree with that at all. First of all, they were 13-29 from the floor which is not all-world but it’s better than 12-31. Not sure where that came from. But either way, the shooting percentages will level out. More interested in Cyril’s activity and controlling the paint on both ends with 16/15, and Fatts leading the team in scoring and getting 7 assists without a turnover. Mature shot selection and floor game. I thought they were great, granted it’s never going to be perfect. Your mileage may vary, I guess.
2 x