Moving On. The New Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Moving On. The New Rotation

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am moving on. There is nothing that can be done about the Walker and Sheppard situations.

I see the regular rotation (players getting at least 10 minutes/game) as an 7 man rotation.
Jeff
Fatts
Tyrese
Cyril
Jermaine

Backups/subs
Dana - SF & PF
Mekhi - PF
Tyrese - SG

Jeff, Fatts and Tyrese all play 33+ minutes.

The first off the bench is Dana. He can come in at PF with Cyril or Jermaine at C.
Dana can come in at SF with Tyrese moving to SG and Jeff or Fatts at PG.
I think Mekhi will get 10 minutes/game at PF.
Hammond could get 5 minutes/game at SG looking for solid D and no mistakes. This could increase in January.
DJ could get 5 minutes/game at SF. Especially if Dana is logging a lot of minutes at PF.
I don’t think Toppin gets minutes unless DJ or Long struggle.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Moving On. The New Rotation

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Last year’s minutes
Jeff 36.6
Fatts 34.1
Cyril 32.5
Tyrese 27.0
Jermaine 17.2
Dana 15.8

Lost
Thompson 26.1
Preston 8.0
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Last year’s minutes
Jeff 36.6
Fatts 34.1
Cyril 32.5
Tyrese 27.0
Jermaine 17.2
Dana 15.8

Lost
Thompson 26.1
Preston 8.0
Omar 7.8
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I am moving on. There is nothing that can be done about the Walker and Sheppard situations.

I see the regular rotation (players getting at least 10 minutes/game) as an 7 man rotation.
Jeff
Fatts
Tyrese
Cyril
Jermaine

Backups/subs
Dana - SF & PF
Mekhi - PF
Tyrese - SG

Jeff, Fatts and Tyrese all play 33+ minutes.

The first off the bench is Dana. He can come in at PF with Cyril or Jermaine at C.
Dana can come in at SF with Tyrese moving to SG and Jeff or Fatts at PG.
I think Mekhi will get 10 minutes/game at PF.
Hammond could get 5 minutes/game at SG looking for solid D and no mistakes. This could increase in January.
DJ could get 5 minutes/game at SF. Especially if Dana is logging a lot of minutes at PF.
I don’t think Toppin gets minutes unless DJ or Long struggle.
Sounds about right. Jeff may have to shoot more if Fatts struggles. I’m hoping for a breakout year from Tyrese and the expected jump from Dana.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Surprised people don't think DJ could contribute more? It would be great if he could spend 10-15 mins on the wing, allowing Tyrese to spend more time at guard and reducing pressure for Jeff and Fatts. I also don't see Mekhi as a power forward, seems more like more of a wing at 6'7 and current weight. If those two can contribute at wing/3 position, let Jeff, Fatts and Tyrese managing the guard spots with 5 or 10 minutes from Hammond I think we would be in good shape. The big question mark is if Harris can stay out of foul trouble and play 25+ mins a game to make sure dana and cyril don't get killed with excess playing time at the 4 and 5.

Anyway, not as much room for error but it's definitely doable to have a decent 8 man rotation
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago Surprised people don't think DJ could contribute more? It would be great if he could spend 10-15 mins on the wing, allowing Tyrese to spend more time at guard and reducing pressure for Jeff and Fatts. I also don't see Mekhi as a power forward, seems more like more of a wing at 6'7 and current weight. If those two can contribute at wing/3 position, let Jeff, Fatts and Tyrese managing the guard spots with 5 or 10 minutes from Hammond I think we would be in good shape. The big question mark is if Harris can stay out of foul trouble and play 25+ mins a game to make sure dana and cyril don't get killed with excess playing time at the 4 and 5.

Anyway, not as much room for error but it's definitely doable to have a decent 8 man rotation
You need to do the math. It seems you are saying Tyrese only plays SG (that would mean he doesn’t start).
There are 80 minutes of playing time. Giving Hammond your 5 minutes that leaves 75 minutes for three of your top players so they average 25 minutes each and all three aren’t on the floor together. That will not happen.

Jeff and Fatts need approximately 7-8 minutes each of rest (total of 14-16 minutes). Tyrese covers approximately 10-12 minutes and Hamonds cover 4-6 minutes.

Suggested/guess at minutes per player
Jeff 34 minutes
Fatts 32 minutes
Tyrese 32 minutes
Cyril 32 minutes
Jermaine 25 minutes
Dana 25 minutes
Mekhi 10 minutes
Hammond 5 minutes
DJ 5 minutes

Total 200 minutes
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

All of these projected minutes are best case scenario, not considering an injury or foul trouble. Our depth may look 'doable', but if either of those occur, that goes out the window.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago All of these projected minutes are best case scenario, not considering an injury or foul trouble. Our depth may look 'doable', but if either of those occur, that goes out the window.
Obviously they don’t consider injury. They are averages over 30+ games so they do factor in foul trouble. The projections for Jeff, Fatts, Cyril & Tyrese are in line with last year’s mins/game. Jermaine had a lot of foul trouble last year. He needs to improve on that significantly. You can’t be a starter on a team without depth at your position and only avg 17 mins/game.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

With the long lineups we can play (especially while Tyrese at guard), I wonder if Coach will employ more zone defense than last year, to take advantage of that length?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago Surprised people don't think DJ could contribute more? It would be great if he could spend 10-15 mins on the wing, allowing Tyrese to spend more time at guard and reducing pressure for Jeff and Fatts. I also don't see Mekhi as a power forward, seems more like more of a wing at 6'7 and current weight. If those two can contribute at wing/3 position, let Jeff, Fatts and Tyrese managing the guard spots with 5 or 10 minutes from Hammond I think we would be in good shape. The big question mark is if Harris can stay out of foul trouble and play 25+ mins a game to make sure dana and cyril don't get killed with excess playing time at the 4 and 5.

You need to do the math. It seems you are saying Tyrese only plays SG (that would mean he doesn’t start).
There are 80 minutes of playing time. Giving Hammond your 5 minutes that leaves 75 minutes for three of your top players so they average 25 minutes each and all three aren’t on the floor together. That will not happen.

Jeff and Fatts need approximately 7-8 minutes each of rest (total of 14-16 minutes). Tyrese covers approximately 10-12 minutes and Hamonds cover 4-6 minutes.

Jeff 34 minutes
Fatts 32 minutes
Tyrese 32 minutes
Cyril 32 minutes
Jermaine 25 minutes
Dana 25 minutes
Mekhi 10 minutes
Hammond 5 minutes
DJ 5 minutes

Total 200 minutes
Biggest weakness is shooting
Cox brings in Sheppard And Johnson who shoot 45% on 3P’s and Sheppard is out and we are predicting only 5 minutes for Johnson?
Zero minutes for Toppin???
I think 25 is too high for Tate. He looked in the exhibition game similar to last season.

Toppin and Johnson are two guys I’m excited about based on what I have seen and heard. I’m hoping we see Johnson demonstrate his 3P shooting skills. Both Toppin and Johnson run the floor fast and gracefully. Both have long arms, block shots, pass well and have good upside potential. For this team to meet and/or exceed expectations I think one or both of these players need to get opportunities to contribute. We need improved scoring potential over last year.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

With Walker out, and the need for outside shooting, I think we'll see them get more minutes. And that's a good thing.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox on his radio show about Toppin - great upside potential; need to get some size on him.

Cox said he played the BC scrimmage to win. From the score sheet;
Long 9:50
Toppin 2:32
DJ 1:49

Harris and Walker were in foul trouble. Long played the 4.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I see Cox leaning on his returning players heavily early in the season. If Dana struggles to score in his minutes at SF, I can see DJ taking some of those minutes.

Cox is saying solid D is required to get playing time. He mentioned Hammond saying he will contribute defensively this year.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

Jeff 34 minutes
Fatts 32 minutes
Tyrese 32 minutes
Cyril 32 minutes
Jermaine 25 minutes
Dana 25 minutes
Mekhi 10 minutes
Hammond 5 minutes
DJ 5 minutes

Total 200 minutes
No I think Tyrese will start at the wing, but what I was saying is when long and/or DJ can play the wing he could shift to guard giving Fatts and Dowtin a break. The split will be different each night, but to optimize the rotation Tyrese will have to play both positions, and while playing guard we are going to need a reliable wing, which is why I brought up DJ.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I am highly concerned about are lack of front court depth. Harris was a foul machine last year and in the first 2 games that hasn’t changed. He got in foul trouble against BC and RIC. Injury/foul trouble against a good team and we are in trouble. I would push for Toppin after Tate to get minutes. He’s athletic and can really jump. He needs some muscle/weight immediately. I am also concerned about outside shooting again.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I always like to see the frosh come in and contribute when they get the opportunity but most coaches tend to lean on the veterans so the frosh will just need to wait for their chance
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Tom98 wrote: 4 years ago I am highly concerned about are lack of front court depth. Harris was a foul machine last year and in the first 2 games that hasn’t changed. He got in foul trouble against BC and RIC. Injury/foul trouble against a good team and we are in trouble. I would push for Toppin after Tate to get minutes. He’s athletic and can really jump. He needs some muscle/weight immediately. I am also concerned about outside shooting again.
I disagree - we made the tournament playing 4 guards and Hassan. We we will make the tournament this year playing with a lot of wings and the best starting back court in the league.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......yep, moving on......lowering overall expectations so any disappointment will not be as great......did not alter the record in predictions......looking forward to season; the freshmen PT and growth, focus on Toppin development, PC at home, Coach Cox in year two, last season of having Cyril and Jeff on our floor, and going to campus for games......hoops are back.....Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I’ve stated this in several threads over the past few months and will state it again .., Harris is the key this year. Rhody needs much more from him than last year. He needs to avoid the cheap early fouls that put him on the bench for the half after four or five minutes. Hopefully he’s under control on that hedge play. He had a lot of bumping fouls with that play last year.
Despite Fatts forays into wild three point shooting at times, I feel we have a reasonable expectation of what to expect from the other four starters. Harris is the wild card.
I don’t think we should expect much from the newcomers early on. We need to see if they know the offensive sets and defensive rotations at game speed. Freshmen usually have trouble with one or both early on. Because of this, I think the losses of Walker and Sheppard will hurt in the non conference. Having Walker back for the conference season will certainly help, and I expect at least one of the newcomers to contribute by then.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......bingo on the Harris comments, I was disappointed with his last year overall play, except for FT shooting......if he does not raise at least a level up.....a swing and miss on him is in view......I know only soph year.......but show me way more this year......no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

With the 2 open spots on the roster, will Cox be walking around campus to get a couple walk ons?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodysk wrote: 4 years ago With the 2 open spots on the roster, will Cox be walking around campus to get a couple walk ons?
Three open spots. Walker and Sheppard can practice. They do have two walk-ons.
Maybe one of the WRs from the football team can play :D
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......were there open “try outs” that staff can circle back to? :-) ;)
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago
Tom98 wrote: 4 years ago I am highly concerned about are lack of front court depth. Harris was a foul machine last year and in the first 2 games that hasn’t changed. He got in foul trouble against BC and RIC. Injury/foul trouble against a good team and we are in trouble. I would push for Toppin after Tate to get minutes. He’s athletic and can really jump. He needs some muscle/weight immediately. I am also concerned about outside shooting again.
I disagree - we made the tournament playing 4 guards and Hassan. We we will make the tournament this year playing with a lot of wings and the best starting back court in the league.
Technically we made it with 4 guards and Andre Berry. When Hassan made it we also started KI. The 4 guard team that made it had several three point shooters which is a major area of concern.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Another technicality, 3 of those 4 guards we made it with were 4 star/Top 100 talents. Just sayin.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I think we’re going to see more of the frosh and/or DJ in the front court early on. There is no way we see Cyril or Harris playing 30-35 min early in the season. Whether it’s rest or fouls, we’re going to see either Long, Toppin or DJ spell at the 4. Tate could take some of those minutes as well, but we’ll need some front court depth.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I think we’re going to see more of the frosh and/or DJ in the front court early on. There is no way we see Cyril or Harris playing 30-35 min early in the season. Whether it’s rest or fouls, we’re going to see either Long, Toppin or DJ spell at the 4. Tate could take some of those minutes as well, but we’ll need some front court depth.
Tate played the 4 last year when Harris got in foul trouble. Cyril averaged 32.0 mins/game in last year’s OOC games.
I agree that Long will play the 4 as well. We could see more of Toppin and DJ against the weaker (and smaller) OOC teams.
0 x