Walker Availability

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Walker Availability

Unread post by RF1 »

What is the rationale for being denied? Walker never played a game for another NCAA team.

The NCAA is extremely arbitrary in its decisions. It should have to explain itself but it never does.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I imagine the rationale is that the standard transfer policy is that you have to sit out 2 full semesters before playing for a new team. SInce his issue happened in October, and i am not sure when he was officially enrolled at URI, but have to assume they consider his 2 full semesters of sitting to be last Spring and this Fall. That has always been their rule, the only issue now is that they grant so many exceptions that it seems crazy when they don't.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Is this a fact? Or are we making assumptions based on a kid who's personal life we don't know's instagram story?
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

That is funny - the NCAA should have to explain itself. Not happening.

For the vanilla response you can look at RJs post. The NCAA rule is for the transfer to complete two full semesters. Walker enrolled in January. Walker/URI applied for an exception to the NCAA transfer rule. The NCAA can simply say no, the rule applies.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Is this a fact? Or are we making assumptions based on a kid who's personal life we don't know's instagram story?
Oh of course not, total speculation based on a 20 year old's Insta story! Though I did think the same thing as 83 did when I saw it. Could be unrelated.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Is this a fact? Or are we making assumptions based on a kid who's personal life we don't know's instagram story?
Oh of course not, total speculation based on a 20 year old's Insta story! Though I did think the same thing as 83 did when I saw it. Could be unrelated.
It’s more than that.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Looking like 2nd semester.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

If we were in the Cartel, ya think the decision might have been a little different?
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Damn when I said October depth can disappear this is not what I had in mind.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Long looks ready. Toppin looks ready. Next man up. Let's go!
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If you attend 1 day of classes you are considered enrolled for the semester. Also, URI could res-shirt Walker for the entire year and still have 3 full years of eligibility remaining.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago If you attend 1 day of classes you are considered enrolled for the semester. Also, URI could res-shirt Walker for the entire year and still have 3 full years of eligibility remaining.
I don’t believe they can redshirt Walker and he would have 3 full years left. You have 5 years to play 4 years. This is his 3rd year of school.
Very few exceptions of players requesting a 6th year (Holt for PC). All that I recall are associated with medical redshirts. Walker would be voluntary. It doesn’t matter because there is no way URI would ever want to redshirt him the second semester. He will be eligible for 19-20 regular season games, the A10 Tournament and any post season tournament.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

When would a second semester eligibility begin? Does the semester have to officially begin or would he be able to play upon completion of the 1st semester. I ask because there looks like exams end dec 21 and spring semester starts Jan 22- a bunch of games are in between.
0 x
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
From what I've been told, Georgetown has been anything but supportive in Walker's waiver
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhodyMadness072 wrote: 4 years ago
From what I've been told, Georgetown has been anything but supportive in Walker's waiver

Screw them.

LET GO OF THE PAST GTOWN
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Really dont see why they would decline to give the waiver to Antwan.

Okay things didnt work out at Georgetown.

Things seem to be working out great for him at Rhody. Gets along with everyone, seems happy. We love him, hes good for our team. If it is good for him and good for our Rams then it's good for college basketball. You want the best teams possible right? Well give him the waiver.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Georgetown competes with URI for recruits in the DMV. Ishmael Leggett was the latest.
They also compete with URI for an NCAA at large bid.
Why does a competitor have influence over your roster? The NCAA should make the decision themselves or just eliminate all waivers.
It seems a lot of waiver approvals this year are players moving to a program that doesn’t really compete with the school they left.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Of decisions announced by Goodman today none were denials. Unofficial count 57 approved and 8 denied. 3-0 approved today.
Still leaves 55 requested where a decision hasn’t been announced. Not sure there is a compelling reason for a school to announce quickly if a player was denied.

0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If they are only announcing about 3 a day it could take another month at this rate anyway and then the waiver approved or denied would almost be a moot point.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

RIFan wrote: 4 years ago If they are only announcing about 3 a day it could take 2 months at this rate anyway and then the waiver approved or denied would be a moot point.
At this rate Sheppard and Walker will probably have graduated before an announcement is made by the NCAA on their eligibility.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Maybe if we just start saying they were approved then the inept NCAA will think they approved them and they can start the season.
Ah, the old "show up after your fired and maybe you'll still get paid" philosophy. I like it.
Yes, like Milton!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago If we were in the Cartel PC, ya think the decision might have been a little different?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Jeez and people thought state workers were lazy. Tick Tock!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago If we were in the Cartel PC, ya think the decision might have been a little different?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Flying Fryuh wouldn’t want such an inconvenience.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Just announced. No walker until Western Kentucky game (after finals). No Sheppard at all.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Crap
1 x
GO RAMS
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

terrible news...

next man up. Will need more than expected out of the three freshmen and DJ.

If there's good news to pull from this (there really isn't) it's that our freshmen should be more game-ready come conference play than we initially expected.
1 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

I am hoping the team, coaches, staff are motivated by this. Nothing like a chip on the shoulder to provide additional motivation.
2 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Georgetown has now screwed URI twice recently with the Ernst and Walker cases. I hope karma catches up with them.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Walker was bad luck and unforeseeable, but the Sheppard thing is on Cox. The team badly needed another guard who could play right away and he brought in a player with transcript issues. Let's hope this isn't the difference between making and not making the tournament.
I can't imagine there's much out there but the staff should be beating the bushes to see if they can find a guard, maybe a 5th-year transfer.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0-2 on the waiver front. If URI were a power-5 program, you can bet that would not have been the case.
2 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago
Patrick Ewing publicly announced that Walker was dismissed from the program in October 2018.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago 0-2 on the waiver front. If URI were a power-5 program, you can bet that would not have been the case.
Too easy to blame others. URI is to blame for Sheppard. His academics must be terrible in that he can't even straighten out by second semester.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago 0-2 on the waiver front. If URI were a power-5 program, you can bet that would not have been the case.
Too easy to blame others. URI is to blame for Sheppard. His academics must be terrible in that he can't even straighten out by second semester.
It may be easy to blame others. Sheppard is certainly on Cox. But if Walker was going from URI to Georgetown it is not denied. I admit I haven't followed but show me all the Power 5 guys that got denied.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Per a Georgetown fan blog dated 10/11/2018:

Georgetown sophomore forward Antwan Walker was dismissed from the program today, per a release from the school below:

Georgetown Men’s Basketball Announcement

Georgetown University men’s basketball coach Patrick Ewing announced today that sophomore forward Antwan Walker (Washington, D.C./Hargrave Military Academy) has been dismissed from the program.

https://www.casualhoya.com/2018/10/11/1 ... om-program
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Per a Georgetown fan blog dated 10/11/2018:

Georgetown sophomore forward Antwan Walker was dismissed from the program today, per a release from the school below:

Georgetown Men’s Basketball Announcement

Georgetown University men’s basketball coach Patrick Ewing announced today that sophomore forward Antwan Walker (Washington, D.C./Hargrave Military Academy) has been dismissed from the program.

https://www.casualhoya.com/2018/10/11/1 ... om-program
But not fully run-off?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That's not a run off. Yes Gtown could have done the mensch-y thing and said it was, but this isn't a case where the little guy is getting screwed by the NCAA. They are holding up guys at plenty of P5 schools too. I
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well this season is off to a fun start!
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago That's not a run off. Yes Gtown could have done the mensch-y thing and said it was, but this isn't a case where the little guy is getting screwed by the NCAA. They are holding up guys at plenty of P5 schools too. I
Right, a dismissal is much more clear cut than a run-off. To continue his college basketball career, he had no choice but to transfer which is usually why players get waivers. But, Goodman's tweet says Walker didn't get the waiver because Georgetown didn't fully admit to a run-off, so Georgetown's position must have been the dismissal didn't mean the end to his Georgetown playing career.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Still, Georgetown should maybe take responsibility for themselves rather than playing victim to a 19 year old kid who didnt like the fit.

Obviously they offered him something that he didnt get so it's their fault that he was either dismissed or run off.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Can some explain the difference between “dismissing a player from the program” and a “run-off”.

URI is appealing the Walker decision based on Ewing’s comments on Oct 11, 2018.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Still, Georgetown should maybe take responsibility for themselves rather than playing victim to a 19 year old kid who didnt like the fit.

Obviously they offered him something that he didnt get so it's their fault that he was either dismissed or run off.
Your fit comment is off. Walker got into a fight with another Georgetown student (non basketball athlete). It was Walker’s second offense in his 1+ years at Georgetown.
Last edited by Rhody83 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Still, Georgetown should maybe take responsibility for themselves rather than playing victim to a 19 year old kid who didnt like the fit.

Your fit comment is off. Walker git into a fight with another Georgetown student (non basketball athlete). It was Walker’s second offense in his 1+ years at Georgetown.
Still not a good fit if they put him in an environment where he gets in fights....

If that is the case then he did not run off. He was dismissed.

Now hes in a better environment where he makes dance videos with his friends instead of getting in fights.

F**k Georgetown
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Your fit comment is off. Walker git into a fight with another Georgetown student (non basketball athlete). It was Walker’s second offense in his 1+ years at Georgetown.
I don't imagine the result of the appeal will be determined any time soon.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Can some explain the difference between “dismissing a player from the program” and a “run-off”.

URI is appealing the Walker decision based on Ewing’s comments on Oct 11, 2018.
I don't know the technical answer (if there is one) but run-offs are performance related and dismissals are conduct related. The thing about run-offs is they are completely off the record so to get a waiver after being run-off, the former coach has to fully admit to the run-off. It makes no sense why the NCAA considers what the former coach has to say for a waiver after a dismissal. He wasn't suspended, he was dismissed so he had to transfer.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

Still not a good fit if they put him in an environment where he gets in fights....

If that is the case then he did not run off. He was dismissed.

Now hes in a better environment where he makes dance videos with his friends instead of getting in fights.

F**k Georgetown
None of this makes a lick of sense. We really want someone that needs a certain environment to not get into fights?
1 x