Discuss your ‘19-20 Hoops Predictions HERE!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Discuss your ‘19-20 Hoops Predictions HERE!

Unread post by DC_Rams »

....I’m dying to hear some of your thought processes going into the prediction contest. I didn’t want to clutter that thread with this. I’ve seen a 26-4 prediction and a 17-13 prediction....let’s talk about yours...and how you came to that prediction.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Discuss your ‘19-20 Hoops Predictions HERE!

Unread post by steviep123 »

I picked 22-8 (8-4 and 14-4). I figured they'd lose at WVA, at MD, and vs. LSU and win at least most if not all of the rest, but picked a fourth loss to hedge my bet a little. Providence is going to be tough even though the game is at home. I'm 50/50 on that one and figured that could be a loss. For the A10, I think I got a little homerist. I had them splitting with Davidson/Dayton/VCU at 3-3, losing at SBU and winning the rest. Probably a bit over board as they could easily lose at GM or at Fordham (I know Fordham sucks, but that team gives us fits).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I picked 22-8 (8-4 and 14-4). I figured they'd lose at WVA, at MD, and vs. LSU and win at least most if not all of the rest, but picked a fourth loss to hedge my bet a little. Providence is going to be tough even though the game is at home. I'm 50/50 on that one and figured that could be a loss. For the A10, I think I got a little homerist. I had them splitting with Davidson/Dayton/VCU at 3-3, losing at SBU and winning the rest. Probably a bit over board as they could easily lose at GM or at Fordham (I know Fordham sucks, but that team gives us fits).
I respect 22-8. I went 20-10. I think we lose 4-5 OOC games and Davidson twice. They always give us fits. Then I believe VCU and Dayton will get us once and we will have one or two wtf losses in conference play.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I picked 22-8 (8-4 and 14-4). I figured they'd lose at WVA, at MD, and vs. LSU and win at least most if not all of the rest, but picked a fourth loss to hedge my bet a little. Providence is going to be tough even though the game is at home. I'm 50/50 on that one and figured that could be a loss. For the A10, I think I got a little homerist. I had them splitting with Davidson/Dayton/VCU at 3-3, losing at SBU and winning the rest. Probably a bit over board as they could easily lose at GM or at Fordham (I know Fordham sucks, but that team gives us fits).
I respect 22-8. I went 20-10. I think we lose 4-5 OOC games and Davidson twice. They always give us fits. Then I believe VCU and Dayton will get us once and we will have one or two wtf losses in conference play.
Definitely reasonable. Yeah, Davidson, 2 years ago killed us. We lost to them 2 out of 3 when we really should have swept them! We definitely blew the 2nd regular season game and kind of blew the A10 championship that year, so that's a fair point about them.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Nothing really scientific here, just based on hunches.

I suspect there will be at least three starters avg double figures, I went with Russell as the leader with 18.2, then I think you are looking at Dowton and Martin following him at like 15, 14 or vice versa.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Long with like 10.6 off the bench.

The other intangibles are Langevine, Harris, Walker, Sheppard... the last two depending on eligibility.

Perhaps Hammond coming on by mid season.

I just think there will be more scoring overall, so I think you will see that team avg creep towards 80ppg.

Defensively, that trio of Toppin, Johnson, and Long is crazy athleticism that can drive the opponent nuts. That will be fun to watch.

10 man rotation, depending on eligibility.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Mine was just plain ol’ wishful thinking. I looked at the most optimistic prediction posted and added a win. I do note there was someone even more optimistic than me.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

I lowered my prediction to 18-12 based on the Sheppard development. Without a proven 3rd guard we are gonna run Jeff and Fatts ragged again!

I also believe a huge rise in Rese's game will be offset by a much much tougher schedule.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I went 19-11 cuz I don’t want to put too much pressure on the team I really think we will go 21-9 or 20-10
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I always go the optimist route, and would have been much more bullish if we had Walker and Sheppard. Really concerned about our depth without them, even with expected improvement from Martin and Tate.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I figured we’ll go 1-1 on the waivers.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Maybe should be a prediction thread for that?

2 players, total of 4 semesters (2 each)
My play is...one guy can't play all year and the other can play 2nd semester.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm still trying to decide if I cast a vote. I didn't last year. I think there is upside, but the 20% 3pt FG in the exhibition means we still have no outside shooting. I'll sit on it awhile.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........honestly, I forgot why I picked the W’s and L’s going down the sked, it t looked good at that moment......and it appears my Debbie Downer on attendance might hold......
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I know nothing like almost everyone else so took a shot in the dark. No data to support anything. Just chucked it up and prayed, kind of like our 3s last year...
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

We could go 1-29, but as long as we beat the mental hospital, I'd be happy.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago We could go 1-29, but as long as we beat the mental hospital, I'd be happy.
Come on Red, I get the sentiment, but you mean to tell me in 2016-17 if we had beaten PC but had bowed out early in the A10 and missed the A10 tourney you'd be happier than losing to PC and nearly upsetting Oregon in the 2nd round? By mid December I had long forgotten that close loss and moved on to other opponents, and in March, that loss to PC was a blip on the radar. I know you hate PC, but I'd rather go 29-1 and lose to PC but make the show than the other way around.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not having Walker [possibly] until late December and no Sheppard at all [likely imo] means that I had to decrease our win total by 2 in the prediction thread.

One less OOC win, and one less conference win. 19-11 versus 21-9.

I along with others here tend to be a tad optimistic anyway when it comes to predicting total wins lol.

I was going to wait until the last minute to post a prediction....but it's looking less and less likely the NCAA will get off their duff and rule in time for either player.
1 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Was going to go 21-9 but with at least a possibility of not having Shepard I was then thinking 19-11..... but why can't the replacement bench combo 2-3's of Toppin (scoring)/Hammond (ball handling)/Long (defense) combine and help get us to 20 wins....... 20-10 it is (at worst).
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Not having Walker [possibly] until late December and no Sheppard at all [likely imo] means that I had to decrease our win total by 2 in the prediction thread.

One less OOC win, and one less conference win. 19-11 versus 21-9.

I along with others here tend to be a tad optimistic anyway when it comes to predicting total wins lol.

I was going to wait until the last minute to post a prediction....but it's looking less and less likely the NCAA will get off their duff and rule in time for either player.
I sort of have the same thinking, and still holding off till early next week for my predictions. I was thinking 21-9, now 19-11 if both aren't cleared

I do think Sheppard is out for this year, if by some divine miracle Walker is granted his waiver, I might go to 20-10 for the season
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm still holding off on my prediction as long as possible until we learn about Walker and Sheppard.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago We could go 1-29, but as long as we beat the mental hospital, I'd be happy.
Come on Red, I get the sentiment, but you mean to tell me in 2016-17 if we had beaten PC but had bowed out early in the A10 and missed the A10 tourney you'd be happier than losing to PC and nearly upsetting Oregon in the 2nd round? By mid December I had long forgotten that close loss and moved on to other opponents, and in March, that loss to PC was a blip on the radar. I know you hate PC, but I'd rather go 29-1 and lose to PC but make the show than the other way around.
The only way we're ever going to be recognized as the state's university is by beating the mental hospital like a drum, year after year. Maybe I was a little hyperbolic (but not much).
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
The only way we're ever going to be recognized as the state's university is by beating the mental hospital like a drum, year after year. Maybe I was a little hyperbolic (but not much).
Well that part I agree with, but win or lose, I'm over that game by the time the next opponent is up. The other thing that would help is the poor attitude some RIers have towards the school. For reasons passing understanding it has a much lower reputation than deserved as an academic institution inside the state. Outside the state I mention I went to URI and I hear, "good school!" - inside, people look at me like I have 5 heads.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Maybe should be a prediction thread for that?

2 players, total of 4 semesters (2 each)
My play is...one guy can't play all year and the other can play 2nd semester.
Where is the wager window for this stuff when you need it?
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I'm thinking this season will be quite exciting. We have two absolute stud seniors and a supporting cast that learned some valuable lessons last year. In addition, this roster has more long and athletic wings than any team in recent memory. We may lack a bit in outside shooting but most likely our players worked really hard on it and will have improved. Luckily, they moved the three point line back a bit which should hurt our opponents shooting percentages. This team should be able to defend and turn defense into transition buckets. If all goes to plan, march madness, sweet sixteen, and for once the coach stays!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster predicting 15-15 whoa....

If that happens there will be much unhappiness in Rhodyville…….

I do predict our 3 pt. shooting percentage will end up about 32%....4% higher than last season.

Not great, but enough to get us to the dance as long as the injury bug doesn't get us.

Won't be as easy without Sheppard, but have to hope someone [or two[ steps up.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I predicted 19-11, 11-7 and like every year I usually add a loss or 2 to what I actually think to compensate for 3 main factors:

1. The loss to a team we have no business losing to game(s)
2. The injury that sidelines a key player for a stretch of games (making the Sheppard and Walker loses hurt for depth)
3. Not seeing any of the new players and how they might be able to impact the season, mostly in conference play.

I can actually see us going anywhere from winning 25 games to winning 15 games, anything outside of those borders would surprise me. I really think the playing time and experience that Tate, Tyrese & Jermaine got last year will go along way towards their contributions, still think that Harris is the player who can most have an impact on our win total. You pretty much know what your gonna get from Jeff, Fatts, Cyril, Tate, Tyrese, if Harris plays like a 4* recruit we become that much better once Walker becomes eligible in December. The college game is now about who can shoot the 3 and that is certainly not our strength which is the major concern. I also think Cox will take a few steps forward this year seeing how he held the team together throughout last year and had them playing their best basketball when it matter the most. Excited to see what this season brings, hoping we are not overlooking a LIU team that is experienced and picked to be at the top of the NEC this year. Lets Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I went with 17-13 and 11-7. The potential is there to be much better, but I think the OOC schedule is going to be very tough while we start out short handed.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

The lack of back court depth is a killer. We can get by without Walker for nine games, but we need somebody other than Fatts and Dowtin to give them five to eight minutes a night in the back court, including handling the ball. I do not see that person on the roster, and either foul trouble, injury and lack of back court depth is what led to my prediction of 18-12 and 11-7. Maybe Hammond will surprise and get some run. I like Martin, but do not see him as an effective 2 guard, I think he best fits at the 3.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Missed the deadline. Thought it was later, so I'll put mine here just so I can look it up later in the season.

1. 23-7
2. 14-4
3. 69.13
4. Dowtin, 15.81
5. 5,972
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Please make an exception for Iggy valuable contributor
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hey Iggy is as optimistic as me! Makes me feel like an expert!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago The lack of back court depth is a killer. We can get by without Walker for nine games, but we need somebody other than Fatts and Dowtin to give them five to eight minutes a night in the back court, including handling the ball. I do not see that person on the roster, and either foul trouble, injury and lack of back court depth is what led to my prediction of 18-12 and 11-7. Maybe Hammond will surprise and get some run. I like Martin, but do not see him as an effective 2 guard, I think he best fits at the 3.
Agree with all of this I went with 18-12 also
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I'm late to the prediction contest but wanted to get my predictions on record:

18-12
11-7
Russell 14.3
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I predicted a 18-12/12-6 record. We will be sluggish starting out without Walker eligibility but finish strong in the A10. Still better with a strong finish than the Baron error where we'd go 13-1 non-conference and 9-7 in conference to miss the tourney! (Hello 2009-10 season.)

I have us losing all the "BCS" games: Maryland, Alabama, West Virginia, LSU. One or more of those go our way and the complexion of the season looks a lot different.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think we can get one of them....Alabama most likely.

That's the difference between my prediction of 19-11 and yours. 7-5 OOC.

PC blasted Sacred Heart 106-60. I think that game is a tossup for us.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I think we beat Alabama on 11/ 15 and maybe lose only to Maryland WVU and LSU to go 9-3 in OOC. Would be nice to see Harris
give us more .
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we go 9-3 OOC we're going dancing.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Winning one out of LSU, Maryland and WVU would be HUGE.

Also need to go 2-1 against Alabama, PC, WKU.
0 x
Go Rhody
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Winning one out of LSU, Maryland and WVU would be HUGE.

Also need to go 2-1 against Alabama, PC, WKU.
0-3 in the first three you mentioned but should go 3-0 on the others
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

by rambone 78 » 1 month ago

If we go 9-3 OOC we're going dancing

A long way to go and the A10 looks like it could be a mine field this year! But I hope your right
Rambo!!
0 x