Walker Availability

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Re: Walker Availability

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

The eligibility of Walker should be complete by now. I don’t remember anyone mentioning his issue with eligibility before this current post. It sounds like he should be one of the easier ones to decide upon...so hurry up NCAA. We need more frontline help than guard help. His participation right from game one is Much more needed than the guard help Shepard will provide if he is deemed eligible.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago You have to love a process where one of the least trusted institutions in the country is making decisions with no transparency and no accountability. If there is one thing in life that gives me comfort, it’s an organization with billions of dollars in revenue deciding the futures of its unpaid laborers in a black box.
The rules are pretty black and white - If you transfer your must sit for one full year before playing again. While I think we all want consistency, I don’t think the NCAA owes it to anyone to provide color on a ruling that is an exception. Frankly, teams should be preparing teams/fans for the worst and working through these exceptions privately to tame expectations. However, I do agree that I’m not sure why the pace on these is so slow. I’m guessing it has more to do with back and forth, information collection, etc., but it’s still tedious.

Personally I’m in favor of less of these waivers, not more. If it were me, player is only granted waiver if coach leaves or is fired. If a kid gets thrown out of school, or voluntarily leaves a school, or wants to play closer to home, should be a high threshold to play immediately.
That’s the thing, though. They call it an exception, but it isn’t actually an exception. It has become the norm, and they did that. The NCAA created the expectation that waivers will be granted in certain types of situations, and teams and coaches have been operating based on that expectation. To me, it is about consistency. If we were starting from scratch, I’d probably agree with you that waivers should be rare, but they aren’t. It’s not fair or just to arbitrarily grant or not grant waivers with no apparent discernible criteria and without offering anything approaching accountability for those decisions.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago You have to love a process where one of the least trusted institutions in the country is making decisions with no transparency and no accountability. If there is one thing in life that gives me comfort, it’s an organization with billions of dollars in revenue deciding the futures of its unpaid laborers in a black box.
The rules are pretty black and white - If you transfer your must sit for one full year before playing again. While I think we all want consistency, I don’t think the NCAA owes it to anyone to provide color on a ruling that is an exception. Frankly, teams should be preparing teams/fans for the worst and working through these exceptions privately to tame expectations. However, I do agree that I’m not sure why the pace on these is so slow. I’m guessing it has more to do with back and forth, information collection, etc., but it’s still tedious.

Personally I’m in favor of less of these waivers, not more. If it were me, player is only granted waiver if coach leaves or is fired. If a kid gets thrown out of school, or voluntarily leaves a school, or wants to play closer to home, should be a high threshold to play immediately.
That’s the thing, though. They call it an exception, but it isn’t actually an exception. It has become the norm, and they did that. The NCAA created the expectation that waivers will be granted in certain types of situations, and teams and coaches have been operating based on that expectation. To me, it is about consistency. If we were starting from scratch, I’d probably agree with you that waivers should be rare, but they aren’t. It’s not fair or just to arbitrarily grant or not grant waivers with no apparent discernible criteria and without offering anything approaching accountability for those decisions.
So the waiver process is totally subjective now....grreeeeat......
Sounds like we should plan should have planned on not having those guys.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Had no idea either of them even needed a damn waiver before the other day.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Seems to be a far cry from the Billy Baron determination. Baron had already officially played games for two different college teams and decided on his own to leave URI in mid June. He got fast tracked in the waiver route and he was quickly approved well in advance of the first Canisius game just five months later. Contrast that to Walker who never once played in an official college game, got removed from the team by the school, and a full year later still doesn't know his status.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

6 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Seems to be a far cry from the Billy Baron determination. Baron had already played for two different college teams and decided on his own to leave URI in mid June. He got fast tracked in the waiver route and he was quickly approved well in advance of the first Canisius game just five months later. Contrast that to Walker who never once played in an official college game, got removed from the team by the school, and a full year later still doesn't know his status.

it is a joke

what a bunch of CLOWNS
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Seems to be a far cry from the Billy Baron determination. Baron had already played for two different college teams and decided on his own to leave URI in mid June. He got fast tracked in the waiver route and he was quickly approved well in advance of the first Canisius game just five months later. Contrast that to Walker who never once played in an official college game, got removed from the team by the school, and a full year later still doesn't know his status.

it is a joke

what a bunch of CLOWNS

I agree. It seems that the NCAA is not consistent in its process and only moves fast when it chooses to. This is blatantly unfair to those that are stuck in limbo for a long time awaiting awaiting a decision.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The best URI comparison is Kuran Iverson. As a Soph in 2014-15 season he played in first 8 games for Memphis (avg 12 min/game) then left the team/school. He transferred to URI and was ruled eligible for the start of the season in 2015-16.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

bureacracy at its worse
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I remember in a Baron year there were 3 players who hadn't been cleared for a couple of games and had to sit in the stands. I believe Delroy was one.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

All I'm saying is that the NCAA is following the process. I suspect that there is no issue with Walker's eligibility come second semester. GT gave Walker a scholarship last year that it couldn't re-use after he left the team. It is the member institutions that established the process and the NCAA's job to implement this process. Confidentiality considerations prevent transparency. Reporters and I may not like the process but it is what it is until member institutions change it.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It would be against NCAA rules to prevent Walker from not being eligible second semester. Stating “I SUSPECT that there is no issue with Walker's eligibility come second semester” demonstrates you have no idea what you are talking about on this subject. Patrick Ewing, the Georgetown HC, released Walker of his scholarship last October. Ewing is NOT contesting Walker’s eligibility to start this season. Ace postEd above the story of the St Johns recruit where the Cleveland State AD did contest the waiver.

Georgetown could have used the scholarship on a transfer for the second semester last year. But that has nothing to do with a transfer eligibility decision.
You should stop trying to apply your logic when you really don’t know much about the subject.
4 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

1 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

83 do you know if it is a committee, or individual decision?................I would like to know how they prioritize the cases............by date received, or some other criteria?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CTRamfan wrote: 4 years ago 83 do you know if it is a committee, or individual decision?................I would like to know how they prioritize the cases............by date received, or some other criteria?
My understanding is that it is a group. No one knows how they prioritize. That is one of the frustrations. It appears the easier approvals get done first - family medical situation & request to be closer to home seems to be st the top of the list.

I think the key factor for Walker is does the group deciding place weight on why he was dismissed and was it significant enough to penalize him = decline his waiver request.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

its a joke

they have had all summer to figure this out
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

They have had almost an entire year to figure it out. It's not like he was a summer transfer. With all the money the NCAA makes they can put some people in position to make these decisions quicker.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I find it frustrating that the previous school has the ability to have any kind of negative influence. Plus, schools will almost always look bad, at least to me, when they hinder a guy moving on. Get out of your feelings and let them go. In the past, the St. John’s program held up a player’s availability and now they’re having the same done to them.

The Micah Potter situation is potentially an interesting contrast to Walker’s. Potter only played in an exhibition game before deciding to transfer, but he stayed enrolled at school at Ohio State for the Fall semester before enrolling at Wisconsin for the Spring semester. He didn’t receive a waiver, but they’re appealing. Walker didn’t play in any official games, either, but he didn’t leave voluntarily. Could being pushed out, regardless of his actions that led to that, help him in the end?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago They have had almost an entire year to figure it out. It's not like he was a summer transfer. With all the money the NCAA makes they can put some people in position to make these decisions quicker.
HEAR HEAR
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I guess we know what they have been doing...now letting players get paid for their name and likeness.

Yes, this is too long for this decision and it can have a lasting impact on a season for a school. Hurt a bubble team from a non p5 leagues chances at some quality non con q1&2 wins.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I take this as a good sign that they are still ruling favorably on waiver requests.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is rediculous with the season 1 week away
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

How about making this John Carroll's first big assignment. Stay on it every day.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The NCAA only has 2 people working on waiver requests?

Great.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can Carroll do anything about it or are his hands tied ???
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There is NO reason why Walker shouldn't be eligible for the entire season....as for Sheppard not that optimistic.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago There is NO reason why Walker shouldn't be eligible for the entire season....as for Sheppard not that optimistic.

Because Sheppards grades are not up to par?

Still aren't?

Or his grades at the JUCO level weren't good enough to transfer over?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago There is NO reason why Walker shouldn't be eligible for the entire season....as for Sheppard not that optimistic.

Still aren't?

Both
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Still aren't?

Both
Damn....

Trot out the tutors!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago It would be against NCAA rules to prevent Walker from not being eligible second semester. Stating “I SUSPECT that there is no issue with Walker's eligibility come second semester” demonstrates you have no idea what you are talking about on this subject. Patrick Ewing, the Georgetown HC, released Walker of his scholarship last October. Ewing is NOT contesting Walker’s eligibility to start this season. Ace postEd above the story of the St Johns recruit where the Cleveland State AD did contest the waiver.

Georgetown could have used the scholarship on a transfer for the second semester last year. But that has nothing to do with a transfer eligibility decision.
You should stop trying to apply your logic when you really don’t know much about the subject.
'83: I believe that you are wrong about GTown being able to re-use Walker's scholarship second semester last year. Once a scholarship is awarded to a player, it cannot be used that year on another athlete. Also, the "I SUSPECT" was used because I did not think that that there were other issues such as academic ineligibility with Walker.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The system is broke fix it !!!
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Still aren't?

Both
Damn....

Trot out the tutors!

CUT TUTOR BAIT !
1 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago It would be against NCAA rules to prevent Walker from not being eligible second semester. Stating “I SUSPECT that there is no issue with Walker's eligibility come second semester” demonstrates you have no idea what you are talking about on this subject. Patrick Ewing, the Georgetown HC, released Walker of his scholarship last October. Ewing is NOT contesting Walker’s eligibility to start this season. Ace postEd above the story of the St Johns recruit where the Cleveland State AD did contest the waiver.

'83: I believe that you are wrong about GTown being able to re-use Walker's scholarship second semester last year. Once a scholarship is awarded to a player, it cannot be used that year on another athlete. Also, the "I SUSPECT" was used because I did not think that that there were other issues such as academic ineligibility with Walker.
I thought Mading or Walker used the scholarship vacated by Aris 2nd semester last season?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

For head-count sports such as basketball, I believe the only way money can be re-allocated is if the athlete graduates mid-season. I'm not sure about equivalency sports. In head-count sports all scholarships are full scholarships.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

87% approval rate so far. Shocking that there is still 58 requests still waiting for a response (almost 50% of total requests).
I have no hope that the NCAA can decide on 58 applications in four business days.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

And we have 2 of the 58 dammit
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Another approved:

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Clemson said the NCAA has granted a waiver to Texas Tech basketball transfer Khavon Moore, making the 6-foot-8 sophomore immediately eligible to play with the Tigers.

Moore, from Macon, Georgia, played in only one game for the Red Raiders due to injury. He enrolled at Clemson this past May and has practiced with the team, including playing in the Tigers' run to the gold medal at the World University Games this summer.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Maybe if we just start saying they were approved then the inept NCAA will think they approved them and they can start the season.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Maybe if we just start saying they were approved then the inept NCAA will think they approved them and they can start the season.
Ah, the old "show up after your fired and maybe you'll still get paid" philosophy. I like it.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago Another approved:

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Clemson said the NCAA has granted a waiver to Texas Tech basketball transfer Khavon Moore, making the 6-foot-8 sophomore immediately eligible to play with the Tigers.

Moore, from Macon, Georgia, played in only one game for the Red Raiders due to injury. He enrolled at Clemson this past May and has practiced with the team, including playing in the Tigers' run to the gold medal at the World University Games this summer.

But for the injury as opposed to being asked to leave, his situation seems similar to Walker’s.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago And we have 2 of the 58 dammit
We really don’t have 2 of the 58. Sheppard isn’t waiting on a transfer request waiver. He is waiting on a ruling as to his academic eligibility. That comes from the NCAA Clearinghouse. My guess is that URI appealed the initial Clearinghouse ruling that Sheppard is academically ineligible.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago And we have 2 of the 58 dammit
We really don’t have 2 of the 58. Sheppard isn’t waiting on a transfer request waiver. He is waiting on a ruling as to his academic eligibility. That comes from the NCAA Clearinghouse. My guess is that URI appealed the initial Clearinghouse ruling that Sheppard is academically ineligible.
If ineligible would it be for the whole year? Is there a possibility of just the first semester?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Shouldn’t the NCAA, by their own internal ruling, have these transfer waivers reviews completed prior to the season?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Get ready for bad news. Walker posted on his IG Story - “You win some you lose some. It’s life deal with it. Build from it, get better.”
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

BRUTAL
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i dont understand this one at all - he gets dismissed w/o playing a game and he loses the entire semester ?

what a FARCE the ncaa is

CLOWN SHOW
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If he's not eligible until 2nd semester, will he still have 3 full years here?

That would make an odd situation his senior year....could only play until December?

Maybe someone could clarify this.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

No, I assume he would have 2.5 years of eligibility left - 1/2 of this season and 2 more full seasons.
1 x