GM 8 Football vs Elon 1pm Saturday Oct 26 Family Day FloFootball.com

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
ramster
Frank Keaney

GM 8 Football vs Elon 1pm Saturday Oct 26 Family Day FloFootball.com

Unread post by ramster »

Great day for URI Football as URI celebrates Family Day
Tailgating!!!!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: GM 8 Football vs Elon 1pm Saturday Oct 26 Family Day FloFootball.com

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Does anyone have a ticket? I just saw the game was sold out. Oops!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seats are sold out but you can still buy Standing Room Only Tickets but those are likely to sell out too.

All the more reason to have kept Family Day and Homecoming as two separate events as opposed to combining them into one.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Seats are sold out but you can still buy Standing Room Only Tickets but those are likely to sell out too.

All the more reason to have kept Family Day and Homecoming as two separate events as opposed to combining them into one.
Exactly. I don’t have kids so I’m like there’s zero draw for me to go to things that have face painting and petting zoos. If that’s what they have at Rhodyville
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Notes about the game from Elon’s Site:

https://elonphoenix.com/news/2019/10/23 ... urday.aspx
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

If the team is calling it Homecoming than so am
I. See you at the game!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So how are we going to find a way to lose today?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Seemingly every game we have to overcome two opponents - the other team and our coaching strategies. What the hell was that at end of half? We are 1-6. Go for points.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I think we've fumbled like 6 times.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Opponents’ coaches make adjustments at half and crush Rhody in the 3rd quarter. Elon scores 24 points in the quarter.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

The staff is beyond horrible.

Makes no sense how they can be so bad.

At this point the teams spirit is broken.

If we can only get 2 wins this year we will NEVER EVER win with Fleming.

Jajuan Lawson is the ONLY reason we won 6 games last year.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I hope the foliage was nice at least...
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Not too many 1-7 QBs keep their jobs, especially with the talent we have at WR. Sometimes you need to make a change just for the sake of change and inspiring your guys. So the question is- who gets an opportunity? Would playing Perrantes after the first 4 games break a possible red shirt season? How does Grant throw the ball, would he be able to get it to our play makers down field? What about the transfer from UTSA?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

perrantes should have been given a shot already...why not sprinkle him in to change things up, like basically 3-4 other teams have done this year to us. That requires creativity and imagination which our staff seems to lack. Feel bad for the players, they shouldn't be 1-7.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago perrantes should have been given a shot already...why not sprinkle him in to change things up, like basically 3-4 other teams have done this year to us. That requires creativity and imagination which our staff seems to lack. Feel bad for the players, they shouldn't be 1-7.
They shouldn't? Didn't realize the staff drew up the 5 turnovers. Probably shouldn't have drawn up those 4 turnovers last game too.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Never thought Priore was that good.

He can throw, but hes not a playmaker at all.

Darius Perrantes has probably been better this entire time.

If they were neck and neck in the summer, then he probably is better now.

He also is more athletic and could extend plays with his legs. That makes a huge difference.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

You see it all over college football. Back ups coming in and changing the course of the year.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Peter I agree. With Lawson, the legs were a threat, so defenses needed to stay honest. He could also make most plays with his arm, to at least put his WRs to be in a position to make a play.
I was very surprised we didn't bring in a transfer to take the reigns. With the WR core we have, a talented QB would have a field day. The problem with Vito is we become very 1 dimensional, but he lacks the arm strength to get the ball down field, basically making us zero dimensional. As a result, we've asked a lot of our defense, and they just aren't as talented as last year.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What the hell
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 4 years ago Peter I agree. With Lawson, the legs were a threat, so defenses needed to stay honest. He could also make most plays with his arm, to at least put his WRs to be in a position to make a play.
I was very surprised we didn't bring in a transfer to take the reigns. With the WR core we have, a talented QB would have a field day. The problem with Vito is we become very 1 dimensional, but he lacks the arm strength to get the ball down field, basically making us zero dimensional. As a result, we've asked a lot of our defense, and they just aren't as talented as last year.

Apparently they tried to get one.

Dont know how they didnt.

To me that was the key.

We could have gotten a very talented guy to come here with the weapons we have.
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Seemingly every game we have to overcome two opponents - the other team and our coaching strategies. What the hell was that at end of half? We are 1-6. Go for points.
The play calling/clock management every time we're in/near opponent territory in the last possession of the first half is atrocious.

How many times, in general, do we call a play on 3rd down that has ZERO chance of getting a first down? It's maddening.

Way too much talent on this team to be 1-7. Inexcusable.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago perrantes should have been given a shot already...why not sprinkle him in to change things up, like basically 3-4 other teams have done this year to us. That requires creativity and imagination which our staff seems to lack. Feel bad for the players, they shouldn't be 1-7.
They shouldn't? Didn't realize the staff drew up the 5 turnovers. Probably shouldn't have drawn up those 4 turnovers last game too.
You don’t think coaching and turnovers are linked? Execution isn’t tied to preparation and discipline? When the play call is to stare down a receiver on a slant and the LB and whole stadium can see it coming none of that goes back to coaching. Not saying the players aren’t responsible too but you can’t believe we are a well coached team ?
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Fleming picked Harris instead of Lawson and wasted the 2017 season now he has stuck with Priore way too long to save the 2019 season. I’m glad that they did well enough last season to get the stadium improvements pushed through for this season. The improvements and the renewed support for the program will help a new coaching staff, because it’s time to move on from this coaching staff. That said, if the administration really wants football at URI to succeed they need to step up and pay for a good coach to come here. The last good coach Rizzi stayed one season due to the lack of support and the call of the NFL. Please Dooley and Thor pay for a legit head coach from a weaker conference, but most likely a stronger progra lm to take over. Half assing the so-called administration support of the football program hasn’t worked!
3 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I would have definitely looked the D1 transfer route at the QB position (and I would try and do that every year to be honest). For example- I look at 3 rosters UCF( where Harris came from), New Mexico (where Lawson came from) and Pitt (Narduzzi connection). New Mexico has used three different starting QBs, but both UCF and Pitt have grad transfer seniors that are back ups. Pitt has Jeff George Jr who originally transferred to Pitt from Illinois. UCF has Brandon Wimbush who originally came from Notre Dame. Neither player would have been able to transfer to a 1A school, but could have dropped down right away and played for us. And with the weapons they have this year, they could have had a year that could potentially have earned them a spot an NFL camp. Just very random examples, but something I would have pursued.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What does anyone expect for $150k a year from a coach? Hell, our basketball assistants make more than our head football coach.
1 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago What does anyone expect for $150k a year from a coach?
More than what is likely to be a 4th seasons out of 6 with 2 wins or fewer. Period.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI brings a knife to a gunfight when it comes to competing with the better teams in the CAA.

I watched most of that abomination today....nice day for a game anyway.

Vito was terrible. 1st half the D was very good, but the turnovers kept coming.

The administration really needs to make a decision concerning this program. Things aren't going to get better as it stands now.

It's called consistency. Even if they get lucky with a QB for a year, it's lipstick on a pig.

URI at it's own level needs to go the UConn route, and put most of it's eggs in the BB basket. That's where the money can be made.

People who go to football games don't really give a fuck who we are playing...but I think they DO want to see better football from their school.

Elon? Stony Brook? Albany? Seriously? The only 2 schools we play now that we've always played are UNH and Maine.

Does anybody care if we play them? We can't compete with the better CAA teams money wise and we never will.

Time to pull an ECR and CUT BAIT.

I don't mean drop the sport, just drop down where with our limited funds we can compete. It's still football, and people will still come to the games.

So we lose some money with no buy games with FBS teams....what's the difference in the long run? Play schools who are closer to home, and save money that way.

It all makes too much sense to happen, unfortunately.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obviously my suggestion about dropping down isn't news. It almost happened years ago.

It should have happened. Getting turf and lights also is no big deal. Most high school programs have them.

That scoreboard is older than I am, I think. This entire program screams small time. Some D2 and even D3 programs have better facilities.
2 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

The problem here is that Thorr does not know what he is doing when it comes to college football. Fleming is an inept coach and has demonstrated that each year. Thorr resigned him after going 13-43! He does not know how to evaluate football coaches. But frankly not enough people care.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Seemingly every game we have to overcome two opponents - the other team and our coaching strategies. What the hell was that at end of half? We are 1-6. Go for points.
That was a confusing time just before the half. Nobody seemed to know what to do, there was no direction and URI finally called time out with 2 seconds left on the clock.

Priore launched a Hail Mary to the end zone but was incomplete - a good try though.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They waited until 2 seconds were left, so that if something bad happened Elon wouldn't have a chance to score before halftime.

That's called playing and coaching scared.

Based on their track record, who could blame them?

Not that it mattered much after halftime.

I've said this ad nauseum.....we get what we [don't] pay for with this coaching staff. Fleming isn't the lowest paid coach in the CAA, but the staff is paid peanuts.....sort of like the BB assistant staff....but way less than that.

Even if Thorr could get rid of Fleming, how does anybody expect to find a home run hire based on what we pay?

Even Dooley knows we can't win at football. Of course, he would never admit that, but he should.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice New Field
Largest crowd of the season.....even bigger than opening night with new lights and new turf!!
Even with largest crowd, thousands did not enter the stadium but preferred to tailgate in an absolutely beautiful day!! Probably 12k total.

But can we get a scoreboard that works for the biggest crowd event of the school year?

No “down”, no “to go”, no “ball on” for the entire game
Did anybody check it out prior to game time? Is there a maintenance department on hand?
And without the scoreboard working properly the public announcers did not try to help fill in the lack of scoreboard info either

5AA60E75-0205-4580-90C9-9033B5F58C2F.jpeg
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like I said ramster….small time all the way.

Too bad really...people want to come but.....talked to a couple of guys that were there for the 1st time....they were asking the same questions.

The product on the field is unwatchable. Talented receivers yes....but zero timing between them and the QB, who is lost for the most part and can't hit a bull in the ass with a fiddle.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rambone, you are showing frustration like many of us, but please don't overreact and suggest a drop down which is something we thought of before and thankfully abandoned. Why would you want to be in a league with Bryant and Robert Morris, Merrimack, etc.??? When Bryant built their football stadium, I remember how ProJo raved about it, their program with pointed barbs at URI. But where is Bryant now. Their games draw flies whereas URI have had two crowds close to 9000 fans which is impressive given the current terrible team and a 20 year heritage of little success. A new stadium would help punctuate a transformation, but the "loser" image is the more difficult obstacle in achieving transformation. It's all about attracting recruiting and how do you do that if you are continually threatened with "drop down" comments.

To ramster, we need a new scoreboard and Thorr knows that. The down marker control which was working properly prior to game, suddenly fizzled and maintenance was not able to fix it quickly. So our bad luck on the field was replicated elsewhere. I agree the public announcer was not smart enough to adapt to the situation as he should have provided the down info on every play thereafter.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obadiah, appreciate the concern, but what does it really matter who we play?

People will come out on a nice fall afternoon to watch us lose to anybody!

URI does not have the money for a new stadium. The turf and lights came from donations. Anything going forward will continue to come from donations.

The CAA is a bridge too far for URI. Other schools such as Albany and Stony Brook are pouring millions into their programs. Because they can, they aren't state schools.

The southern schools in the conference have facilities that dwarf ours. We belong football wise with the schools you mentioned.

It takes mucho dollars to compete in football. And there is basically no revenue to come from it, compared to basketball.

URI seems to be happy to just field a team. Win? That's asking WAY too much.

If URI stays in the CAA, expect the beatings to continue, no matter the coach. They have been good for what, 2-3 years out of the last 35?

What makes anybody think that will change?
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I thought Albany and Stony Brook were indeed state schools within the New York system. They are but they invest more in their higher education in that state.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago They waited until 2 seconds were left, so that if something bad happened Elon wouldn't have a chance to score before halftime.

That's called playing and coaching scared.

Based on their track record, who could blame them?

Thought that was silly...they had more than enough time (plus a timeout) to try to run a play and get closer for a FG. It was like they were running the clock down to make sure they didn't score... mission accomplished.
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bangordail ... ve-offers/

Maine's HC was the lowest paid coach in the CAA last year. If you don't recall how Maine did last season, check out the article:

National Runner Up
10-4 overall
7-1 against ranked opponents
Best an FBS opponent

Maybe this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but let's not pretend that it's impossible to win at a state school with a low salary pool for the coaches. And, yes, he left at the end of the season for a higher paying job (Minnesota). I'm not suggesting that we can retain a young up-and-coming coach if he has success here, but we can certainly start by trying to hire one. Did we interview Liam Coen when we hired Fleming? Was Ryan Day ever considered when he was a low level assistant at BC or Temple? I don't know the answer to those questions, but you can see where I'm going with this. Even if they pull a Darren Rizzi and leave 1 year later, would we really be worse off than before we hired them?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If Maine and UNH can be competitive then so can we.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago If Maine and UNH can be competitive then so can we.
Absolutely, so that is why URI needs to stay in the CAA! However, home grown coaching talent or some shot in the dark head coach isn't likely for URI therefore as I previously said Rhody needs to pony up the mone and steal away a legit head coach. By the way when did URI start being looked upon as some poor destitute State school that is barely surviving.
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Obadiah, appreciate the concern, but what does it really matter who we play?

URI does not have the money for a new stadium. The turf and lights came from donations. Anything going forward will continue to come from donations.

The CAA is a bridge too far for URI. Other schools such as Albany and Stony Brook are pouring millions into their programs. Because they can, they aren't state schools.

The southern schools in the conference have facilities that dwarf ours. We belong football wise with the schools you mentioned.

It takes mucho dollars to compete in football. And there is basically no revenue to come from it, compared to basketball.

If URI stays in the CAA, expect the beatings to continue, no matter the coach. They have been good for what, 2-3 years out of the last 35?

They don't have the money because that State doesn't support them.... wake up that State hasn't supported them in years yet they have reinvented the campus with multiple new State of the art buildings and renovations to others. Upper college road was a cesspool of falling down fraternity houses at one point and look at it now. This isn't some wasting away institution of higher learning it's doing quite well. If they are serious about having a competive football team they can find a way to a higher salary for the coaching staff and the backing to build a legit stadium. They owe it to the students the alumni and most important the student athletes who put in the time effort and blood but t don't have the backing they need.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Stony Brook and Albany are state schools.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well then they support their football team way more than RI does.

Listen, no one wants URI to have a good football team more than I do.

I just don't see the support either in place now or in the future.

Did they or did they not extend Fleming?

Because if they did, nothing will change for a few more years.

If not, he has to go and Thorr has to hit a home run with the new hire, to at least get us better.

Sounds simple. Wish it was anyway.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

Fleming was extended and thus this shit show is not his fault. He presented his qualifications - 13 wins and 43 losses over 5 years. Thor was dutifully impressed and now we all must suffer.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago If Maine and UNH can be competitive then so can we.
Absolutely, so that is why URI needs to stay in the CAA! However, home grown coaching talent or some shot in the dark head coach isn't likely for URI therefore as I previously said Rhody needs to pony up the mone and steal away a legit head coach. By the way when did URI start being looked upon as some poor destitute State school that is barely surviving.
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Obadiah, appreciate the concern, but what does it really matter who we play?

They don't have the money because that State doesn't support them.... wake up that State hasn't supported them in years yet they have reinvented the campus with multiple new State of the art buildings and renovations to others. Upper college road was a cesspool of falling down fraternity houses at one point and look at it now. This isn't some wasting away institution of higher learning it's doing quite well. If they are serious about having a competive football team they can find a way to a higher salary for the coaching staff and the backing to build a legit stadium. They owe it to the students the alumni and most important the student athletes who put in the time effort and blood but t don't have the backing they need.
Spot on....Didn't the state just take over the Providence public schools and put no one in charge? If anyone thinks the state is looking out for this school, I got a bridge to sell you. People gripe about student loans. You know why student loans are a huge problem? Because states don't fund their Universities to make it affordable for in-state students. It's not rocket surgery.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

13-43 will likely be 15-53 by this season's end.

And for that he gets 3 more years. We had a decent year last year that could have been better except for the QB injury...so that convinced Thorr to do this.

Back in the shit again this year....and next year?

Only here. It's beyond obvious that hardly anybody cares....URI sure doesn't.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hire Butch Jones lol
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

A lot of good points about the future of the program, so I won’t repeat them
Some of my observations about the game and this season have already been noted. I too was wondering why a move wasn’t made to Perrantes when the game started to get away from Rhody. I could only surmise that after watching him in practice during the season, they don’t think he’s ready yet. That would be an interesting take, though, after hearing he was neck and neck with Vito to be the starter in game one.
Vito had a rough game yesterday. His big problem from last year of locking in early on his target reared it’s ugly head agsin. I could see two of the interceptions coming as he released the ball. That said, I thought Elon’s secondary was exceptional. The windows were tight all game. Also, the O line had big trouble with number 98.
I’ll repeat an observation I made after the Stonybrook game. Rhody needs to upgrade its talent on both lines. Opposing defensive lines are much more athletic and Rhody’s D line very rarely gets pressure, which forces the backs to have to cover longer, which is obviously a problem. I’ve never played organized football and certainly have never coached it, but I feel every Rhody defensive scheme has to include a safety to handle the deep middle. Number 80 could have had an even bigger day if Elon focused on the deep middle more.
I realize upgrading talent is difficult when recruits see you win 2 or 3 games each year, plus what others here have already mentioned about lack of resources and funds and the strength of the CAA.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Jim-right on.
Others said same after game.
Nobody covered URI's receivers like ELON did. Still winnable game. I don't see the talent gap.
Vito did not have good game,but not all his fault.When Rams went up 13-10 in 3rd-I said URI can win this game.
Guy next to me agreed. We started laughing when slow 2nd string Elon QB walked in from 50. That's that.
There is obviously a hangover effect,too late for "next game" .IMO
They really miss DJ Stewart. Too many Juco's on Rhody for a # of reasons.
0 x