'20 UK PF - Josh Ogundele (Iowa ---> Middle Tennessee)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '20 UK PF - Josh Ogundele (Offer)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This is not based on hearing from any source.
He really liked everything about his visit. He felt he fit in with the players. Likes the coaching staff a lot.
He wants to visit Iowa and Cincy. Cincy has not offered a visit yet. I think Rhody will beat out Iowa.
My guess is Rhody has held up on other bigs to show Josh he is their priority. Iowa hasn’t done that. He is visiting Iowa this weekend the same time as another C that is ranked #57 overall. Iowa also had four recruits for OVs in Sept and went 0-4 (all committing to other schools). Iowa is a complete rebuild with a new coach.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Fran McCaffery has been coaching Iowa since 2010...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If it's not from a source is it from the kid? How do you know how he felt if not from him, or someone close to him?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago Fran McCaffery has been coaching Iowa since 2010...
Sorry, mix up there. New coach at Cincy.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago If it's not from a source is it from the kid? How do you know how he felt if not from him, or someone close to him?
My original post was my prediction for a late Oct/early Nov verbal commitment and a NLOI signing in Nov.
I interpreted the question from wpbrown regarding my post on commitment - is this a hunch or are you hearing this from a source?
I am not hearing the commitment prediction (my post) from any source.
The other information regarding his visit to RI is not a hunch.
The comments on Iowa regarding visits are public facts.
The comment that I think Rhody Will beat out Iowa is my opinion.
I hope that clears it up.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago If it's not from a source is it from the kid? How do you know how he felt if not from him, or someone close to him?
My original post was my prediction for a late Oct/early Nov verbal commitment and a NLOI signing in Nov.
I interpreted the question from wpbrown regarding my post on commitment - is this a hunch or are you hearing this from a source?
I am not hearing the commitment prediction (my post) from any source.
The other information regarding his visit to RI is not a hunch.
The comments on Iowa regarding visits are public facts.
The comment that I think Rhody Will beat out Iowa is my opinion.
I hope that clears it up.
Ok got it 83, that makes sense. Hope your prediction turns out right, we need a big!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If you want to follow any of Ogundele’s Iowa visit go to @thehoopersvoice on IG. They will be putting out video of his visit as it happens. Should start on Friday morning. Similar to what hoopsfix did on his visit to URI.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s on his OV at Iowa.

Taste of big time concerns me.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No doubt. But to stay in upper tier of A10 we have to beat out mid to lower tier P5s once in a while for a kid.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

3 C’s on campus. I would be turned off.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago No doubt. But to stay in upper tier of A10 we have to beat out mid to lower tier P5s once in a while for a kid.
Iowa is a quality Big 12 school that finds their way into the tournament more often than not.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago No doubt. But to stay in upper tier of A10 we have to beat out mid to lower tier P5s once in a while for a kid.
Iowa is a quality Big 12 school that finds their way into the tournament more often than not.
They had a great stretch from 2013 through 2016 repping the Big Ten. A tough 2017 and 2018, though.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s a huge football game Saturday Night at Iowa
ABC TV 7:30pm
Iowa Ranked 17th (4-1) vs Penn State Ranked 20th (5-0)

PSU is favored by 3.5 points

These recruits will be experiencing big time tailgating and pre/post game partying.

Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City will be something else tomorrow.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No doubt, but would still say they are solidly mid tier when it comes to Big 10 behind Michigan, Mich State, Indiana, Ohio State and Maryland...no?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
No doubt, but would still say they are solidly mid tier when it comes to Big 10 behind Michigan, Mich State, Indiana, Ohio State and Maryland...no?
I always mix up the Big 10 and 12.

To your point, the spend like the Top tier...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Lot of Rhody fans in his IG story...Says decision coming soon....
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Lot of Rhody fans in his IG story...Says decision coming soon....
Where did you see that he was making a decision soon? Didnt see that on his IG. But did see Ish commenting on the pic in rhody uni.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Lot of Rhody fans in his IG story...Says decision coming soon....
Where did you see that he was making a decision soon? Didnt see that on his IG. But did see Ish commenting on the pic in rhody uni.
One of his comments to an Iowa fan was 'decision coming soon'.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

"
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not much coverage of the visit. No individual attention in the video clips. It’s like they are selling “we are big, come be a part of big”. Nothing tailored to Josh. They have so many recruits visiting at once it would be hard to tailor the visit to one recruit. URI’s approach on his visit was very personalized - from the SI Cover to the video paralleling his plays with NBA plays. It seems URI’s approach is “come to URI where we can work with you to make you the best player you can be”.

To top it off Iowa lost the football game he was at tonight against Penn State.

Hopefully he compares these two visit and realizes URI is the right fit for him.
My gut is he knew during this Iowa visit that URI was the choice.

#decisioncomingsoon
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t think Iowa losing made a difference. That atmosphere was amazing.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I don’t think Iowa losing made a difference. That atmosphere was amazing.
agreed, Kinnick was loud

I kept flipping between this game and Fla-LSU.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

He just posted a video on IG. He looks like he is having a blast!
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From article:
Worcester Academy (Mass.) 2020 power forward Josh Ogundele was one of the three basketball recruits on campus for an official visit.

This was Ogundele's first experience in Iowa City, and he loved it.

“It was good," Ogundele told HawkeyeInsider.com "I got to see who I played with if I eventually committed there. I hung out with Xavier Foster and he’s a good guy. I got to see the team, how it’d be if I went there, watched a few practices, see the arena, and see the football game. It’s a nice community.”

During the visit, Ogundele spoke with all of the coaches, went over to Fran McCaffery's house, and talked with the staff about how they see him fitting into their system.

The staff has dreams of seeing Ogundele and Foster running the frontcourt together.

“If Xavier and I were to commit there, we could ultimately play the four or five because we are very versatile," Ogundele said of Iowa's message to he and Foster. "He said that their offense is free-flowing so they don’t really have a spot, they can be able to shoot, dribble, pass so I could be comfortable and not like a robot in their system.”

Ogundele thinks he and Foster would be a very talented duo, and compliment eachother well.

“Both good bodies," said Ogundele. "He’s about 7-foot and 6-foot-11. We both spoke about if we were to go there it’d be a good duo and our team would be really good.”

Ogundele bonded well with the team, and said that the conversations were not forced at all and it was all natural. He really liked that.

Ogundele was really impressed with what Iowa brings as a whole, and feels better about the program following his visit.

He felt the atmosphere of the program during the football game at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday night.

“It’s a nice community," he said. "It was very together. I love how the fans are together and everybody supports the Hawkeyes because there is no professional team. The football and basketball team are the professional teams. I like the bond that the team has especially like how they play together. In practice, everyone holds each other accountable, and not in a negative way.”

Ogundele's main three schools right now are Cincinnati, Iowa, and Rhode Island. He's taken official visits to Rhode Island and Iowa, and could potentially see Cincinnati later this week but is still in the works of planning an official visit.

Rutgers and Virginia Tech are also showing interest, and Ogundele said he wants to visit those schools if they end up offering.

Ogundele said he has a few schools wanting him to commit, so it seems that he'll make a decision within the next month or so maybe less.

Where does Iowa stand? Pretty high on the list.

“Iowa is one of my top choices," he said. "I haven’t narrowed it down to my top choices but Iowa is definitely very up there.”
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Getting this feeling josh wants to play the 4 not the 5 and Iowa’s pitch is come here and play the 4 along side of a 7 footer. If you go to Rhody it will be all 5 all the time. It will waste your “versatility“ if you go there!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Still hoping for other offers. Seems to me he wants to play above A10 level. If he doesn't get other offers, he's got Iowa.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Not much coverage of the visit. No individual attention in the video clips. It’s like they are selling “we are big, come be a part of big”. Nothing tailored to Josh. They have so many recruits visiting at once it would be hard to tailor the visit to one recruit. URI’s approach on his visit was very personalized - from the SI Cover to the video paralleling his plays with NBA plays. It seems URI’s approach is “come to URI where we can work with you to make you the best player you can be”.

To top it off Iowa lost the football game he was at tonight against Penn State.

Hopefully he compares these two visit and realizes URI is the right fit for him.
My gut is he knew during this Iowa visit that URI was the choice.

#decisioncomingsoon
I don’t think Iowa losing that game makes much difference. It’s the pregame excitement all over town, on campus, the tailgating - it’s amazing for games like this. Don’t see to this extent anywhere in New England.
That’s why ACC, SEC, Big 10 etc schools brings the recruits in for weekends like this.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Not looking good....we will see.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Xavier Foster is predicted to go to Iowa State where his serious girlfriend is a student.

You guys lose faith quickly. It’s between Rhody and Iowa. I still like Rhody’s chances.

Edit: The 247 writer for that article is Sean Bock - he is a student at University of Iowa.
He covers Univ of Iowa basketball and football for 247.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iowa has a 6’11” Jr (Garza) who average 13 points and 5 rebounds last year as a Soph (honorable mention All Big 10). They also have a 6’11” Redshirt Soph PF (Nunge) he redshirted last year non-injury because he had the leading scorer ahead of him. Started 14 games at PF as a Fr and average 6 points. Scored double figures in 7 of his starts. Tell me how Foster and Ogundele see the floor together as Fr and Soph.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Maybe a certain coach or 2 should relay the info that baring injury josh will be riding the pine until his junior year
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago Maybe a certain coach or 2 should relay the info that baring injury josh will be riding the pine until his junior year
It depends on the player. Hell he could come here and sit on the pine for 3 years like Tertsea and Layssard. Never know.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

They are selling him on PT in a P5. I’d bite, just hoping my gut is wrong.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago They are selling him on PT in a P5. I’d bite, just hoping my gut is wrong.
If they get Foster, they may ask him to redshirt per Sean Bock (247 writer).
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

His FT % is not friendly to the RC.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Of all the things I’d care about for a big guy recruit, FT shooting is probably somewhere around #748. You guys are obsessed with FT shooting.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I don’t think Iowa losing made a difference. That atmosphere was amazing.
agreed, Kinnick was loud

I kept flipping between this game and Fla-LSU.
You couldn’t have paid me enough to watch that game. It was 10-6 until about 6:00 left in the 4th Q. Set football back about 60 years. Also, the best rivalry in college sports was on (ND-USC), so that had my undivided attention.

Anyways, at the end of the day this shouldn’t come down to anything about the football team or the football game, good bad or indifferent, win or lose. It’s a basketball decision.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Of all the things I’d care about for a big guy recruit, FT shooting is probably somewhere around #748. You guys are obsessed with FT shooting.n
By “you guys” you mean theblueram :shock:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

There are others. Not everyone obviously.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago They are selling him on PT in a P5. I’d bite, just hoping my gut is wrong.
Well yeah, of course... I'm assuming they aren't going to tell kids come to our school we want you ride the bench for four years. Unless I missed something they pitched what the future could be. Nothing about playing immediately.

We can offer him to be the man from day one. Unless Ogundele doesn't do his homework, he has to know how much competition he has if he commits to Iowa.

At the end of the day we want players that buy into our program. If he feels like he should be playing at high major then I wish him luck.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I actually somehow expected him to be more upbeat about Iowa visit. One danger in their recruiting strategy: Foster picks Iowa St and the whole we'll play together thing falls apart.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fyi, Foster is announcing his decision on Nov 11th.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago I actually somehow expected him to be more upbeat about Iowa visit. One danger in their recruiting strategy: Foster picks Iowa St and the whole we'll play together thing falls apart.
If Foster picks somewhere else, then they really press the gas on Josh.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

So you start with Garza (for one yr) and Nunge (for two years) ahead of Ogundele. Then you have Tryton Thompson (6’11” Top 75/4 star ‘21) who was also visiting this weekend and mentioned Iowa as his top school potentially competing with Ogundele for playing time for 3 years. Even if you don’t add Foster (7’0” Top 75/4 star ‘20) Ogundele is at risk for playing time. Add Foster and now you have four big men ahead of him over his four years. It just doesn’t make sense.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago So you start with Garza (for one yr) and Nunge (for two years) ahead of Ogundele. Then you have Tryton Thompson (6’11” Top 75/4 star ‘21) who was also visiting this weekend and mentioned Iowa as his top school potentially competing with Ogundele for playing time for 3 years. Even if you don’t add Foster (7’0” Top 75/4 star ‘20) Ogundele is at risk for playing time. Add Foster and now you have four big men ahead of him over his four years. It just doesn’t make sense.
Neither did McCleod going to FSU, but we see how that went.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

All of the 247 guys have Foster picking Iowa.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

What is the backup plan if Ogundele goes to Iowa or somewhere else? I know the staff has been big on keeping things low on the social media, but we really need a center or big.
0 x