GM 5 Football @ Brown 12:30pm Saturday Oct 5

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: GM 5 Football @ Brown 12:30pm Saturday Oct 5

Unread post by ramster »

Malik Wilder made a great tackle on EJ Perry on 3rd down at the 2 yard line coming from the complete other side of the field.
Brown scored on toll out in guess what - 4th down as Brown did not go for the FG to tie
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Aaron Parker TD

The big play was on 3rd down with Ahmere Dorsey short catch and run

31-28 URI with 5:50 to go. Great game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody Fans!!!!!!
Screaming HOT mad on the non called intentional grounding. Ref finally threw the flag late.
Good job Rhody Fandom.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great that The Brown scoreboard shows replays.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Okay now dont play conservative!

GO FOR THE KILL

THROW IT
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Clutch 3rd down catch by Coulter who is having a very nice game
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yay winning!

Made it more difficult than it shouldve been, but hope that gives them some more confidence going forward.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Did Brown really get 550 yards
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Yes, a lot on 4th down.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It’s a win. But weren’t they favored by 17? Wth is going on.
0 x
GO RAMS
Brian Forster
ARD

same routine-4 vs. 22
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago It’s a win. But weren’t they favored by 17? Wth is going on.

When we tried we moved the ball at will. Then we would just look like we didn't care. Stupid fouls. Dumb play calls.

Their QB willed Brown to a lot of that.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Then nothing's really changed. Expect more games like this....coaching is holding this team back.

And will continue to do so, until the coaching is changed.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What do you expect for $175k a year?????
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Rams were missing 3 D lineman today and Kenny.
No drop-off.
They have depth.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Rams were missing 3 D lineman today and Kenny.
No drop-off.
They have depth.
That's sarcasm, right? like, 'our second string held em to a half thousand yards, just like the starters do?
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

NYG-right on.
But remarkable in watching.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

so glad we won that game. My favorite part was Gina not even showing up to hand out the Governor’s Cup. She had Brown alum, Donny Carcieri do it for her. Wonder what fundraiser she had to be at today.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago NYG-right on.
But remarkable in watching.
I would MUCH MUCH rather be b*tching about lack of D than lack of offense.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

550 yards allowed...to BROWN......way to go defense!

Good thing we have Merrimack on the schedule.....a 2nd win is coming, I can just feel it......
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

NYG- I am with Rambone on this one.
It’s gotten a little scary.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So URI’s offense is fine.......but no mention that it might have been Browns defense that was a problem?

And URI’s defense was bad........but couldn’t it have been that Brown’s offense was good?

I thought Brown’s QB was outstanding. He threw good, accurate, east to catch balls throughout the game. He also threw an amazing, behind the back shuffle pass that I’ve never seen done before.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Yes. Perry is an FBS transfer,Vito was a walk -on. You know the difference.
Rams got lucky in that deal.

Rhody owned Harvard last 2 years-would you say that now?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Right. Brown’s QB was a FBS Transfer. He played great. Our defense was not so bad. We had 1 interception that we unfortunately fumbled trying to run with the ball.

First time URI has won at Brown since before the Great Recession - 2007

Won despite Priore and Parker not hooking up as they normally do

Great game by Coulter who had a 45 yard or so TD pass negated as saying he was juggling out of the back of the end zone. URI questioned the call but replay did not overturn.
Zoe Bryant had a 45 yard TD run brought back due to offensive line holding.
So two TDS we might have gotten

Not a bad day today!!!!!
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I thought Parker had a TD catch on the drive with the Coulter no catch ruling: I could be wrong on that one. Bryant definitely scored later on the drive where his 45 yard TD run was nullified.
Perry was good, but good lord, he had all day back there most of the time. I agree with others that point out that the middle of the field is consistently wide open. Any future opponents with a good TE will feast.
A win is a win, but Rhody was fortunate to win the game. Two missed Brown field goals (from 39 and 41) yards and Perry throw a pick into coverage in a goal to go situation, on first down.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

TE’s have had a field day against Rhody this year.
Rams miss a QB on D=DJ Stewart,Matt Hansen,Guy Carbone,Bernie Moran,etc..
Too may wide open people.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No pass rush will expose a lot of LB's and the secondary.

Need a LOT of help in the front 7.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

No pass rush and seemingly any receiver can run free over the middle. Not a good combo.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I did like the replays on the scoreboard. However, when I started to pull into the parking lot and saw $25 on the sign, I quickly pulled back out. Also disappointed that there was no student discount for my URI student daughter. She had to pay the $20.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

The replays were key! I know the surrounding neighborhood of Brown Stadium well enough I knew where my friends and I could park, glad it was free. I think $20 admission was a bit ridiculous for what is all general seating. The vibe at the game was so different. I only noticed a small handful of students here and there.

Also, anyone else there notice the halftime performance? Whoever was announcing it said they were going to play the “workers party song” (something like that) but it ended up being Miley Cyrus’s “Party in the USA”. Whole thing was bizarre. So glad we got that W.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I know the area well. Very simple to get free parking in the neighborhood. Only need to walk 3-5 short blocks depending on pregame time of arrival.
I paid $20 but I thought the student price was $10 ——or maybe that was a youth price I don’t recall.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago The replays were key! I know the surrounding neighborhood of Brown Stadium well enough I knew where my friends and I could park, glad it was free. I think $20 admission was a bit ridiculous for what is all general seating. The vibe at the game was so different. I only noticed a small handful of students here and there.

Also, anyone else there notice the halftime performance? Whoever was announcing it said they were going to play the “workers party song” (something like that) but it ended up being Miley Cyrus’s “Party in the USA”. Whole thing was bizarre. So glad we got that W.
Brown has a small band and only about 4 cheerleaders.
The halftime show is like a spoof on the opponent of course today being us. The announcer makes some funny lines about URI and this leads into the next song by the band.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago The replays were key! I know the surrounding neighborhood of Brown Stadium well enough I knew where my friends and I could park, glad it was free. I think $20 admission was a bit ridiculous for what is all general seating. The vibe at the game was so different. I only noticed a small handful of students here and there.

The halftime show is like a spoof on the opponent of course today being us. The announcer makes some funny lines about URI and this leads into the next song by the band.

I must have missed the lines that were actually funny. 🤷🏼‍♀️
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

While there are considerable comments about our lack of pressure on the QB, I should point out that EJ Perry looked great to me. He is cool in the pocket, very good finding the open man when on the run and under pressure.
Perry throws a soft, easy to catch ball and often hits his target with a perfect timing.

At One point URI had great pressure chasing Perry to the sideline about the Brown 35 yard line in front of our bench and our fans. Perry was in the grasp, almost down, and threw sidearm to nobody in front of our bench. No call. Rhody fans were screaming, going berserk. Very loud and very mad. URI coaches got into it too, including Fleming. Ref then threw a very late flag and intentional grounding was called. Great to get a call based on our great contingent of fans, on the road no less.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah, I was straining to hear and understand the lines. It’s a kind of Brown University humor. Not very funny, I agree.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah, I was straining to hear and understand the lines. It’s a kind of Brown University humor. Not very funny, I agree.
One almost sounded like it was related to URI fans getting cosmetic surgery or something like that? It was just odd. I feel like I remember back in the day they had a larger band and cheerleading squad? I know we aren’t Michigan by any means, but our atmosphere in Kingston is like a 180 from that at Brown today. Guess I hadn’t been there in so long I forgot. ;)
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Was told by a couple of people who were there that more Rhody fans than Brown fans?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Was told by a couple of people who were there that more Rhody fans than Brown fans?
No.
Here are pics of visitor side at halftime and before kickoff when I walked to the Brown side for something to eat and visit.

Rhody fans were loud at times, especially if we made an interception, big run or catch or controversial call like Perry’s intentional grounding late flag.

Brown fans arrived late from tailgating or just late but their side was fairly well populated and of course a much bigger seating area than visitors side.

Going by this board, not many of us were present.

Maybe others have a different opinion.

5,077 announced. My guess is URI 20%? 30% Maybe others think higher percentage? There were done URI fans sprinkled within the Brown side.

5508A94A-425A-4ABB-A309-66C342791430.jpeg
CF085801-6969-4B44-9DB3-845F0496171E.jpeg
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Ramster-Is the 5000 accurate?
Some said half that?
It looked empty on TV?
It looks like about 300 people on the Rams side?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’d say 5,000 was accurate
Pictures are before kick off so probably at least doubled URI side 10 minutes into game

Brown side filled up more 10 - 30 minutes after kick off

People love to tail gate, mingle, chat with old friends before game.

5,077 imho was accurate

And it was an absolutely beautiful day for college football.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Ramster, my father took me to games back in the day and I spent a good bit of time on the East Side in the 90s (friends lived there), so I’m fairly familiar with the area. I was going to park in the lot because I was late, but I wasn’t going to pay $25. I was a little further than 5 blocks away because I was late, but it was such a nice day, I didn’t care.
It was $10 for youth, with no student rate.

As for the crowd, my guess is that it was an ok crowd for Brown, not great. I was thinking they’d get more because the weather was so good, it was their intrastate rival and they would feel it’s a game they could win. Maybe the beat down Harvard gave them last week kept some people away. I couldn’t tell for Rhody. It’s hard to see the crowd on your side when you’re sitting near an end zone.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

By any measure the crowd size was poor. We are far from the days when this game regularly attracted 12-15,000.

While on the subject, Merrimack playing its first season in D-1 football drew an impressive 10,000 plus to its homecoming game against Bryant. Also impressive was their website which only hours after game's completion they had video highlights of game. When do ever see anything like that on the small print URI football website.

https://merrimackathletics.com/news/201 ... ryant.aspx
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago By any measure the crowd size was poor. We are far from the days when this game regularly attracted 12-15,000.

While on the subject, Merrimack playing its first season in D-1 football drew an impressive 10,000 plus to its homecoming game against Bryant. Also impressive was their website which only hours after game's completion they had video highlights of game. When do ever see anything like that on the small print URI football website.

https://merrimackathletics.com/news/201 ... ryant.aspx
Merrimack has 3 players from Hendricken, 1 from LaSalle and 1 from East Providence.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago Ramster, my father took me to games back in the day and I spent a good bit of time on the East Side in the 90s (friends lived there), so I’m fairly familiar with the area. I was going to park in the lot because I was late, but I wasn’t going to pay $25. I was a little further than 5 blocks away because I was late, but it was such a nice day, I didn’t care.
It was $10 for youth, with no student rate.

As for the crowd, my guess is that it was an ok crowd for Brown, not great. I was thinking they’d get more because the weather was so good, it was their intrastate rival and they would feel it’s a game they could win. Maybe the beat down Harvard gave them last week kept some people away. I couldn’t tell for Rhody. It’s hard to see the crowd on your side when you’re sitting near an end zone.
My thoughts exactly on the walk. It was such a beautiful day I would have walked a mile from parking if needed. No need to pay to park.

I liked the Brown Scoreboard and especially the replays. Nice to see the replays while the Refs were going back to look at possibly overturning the on-field call.

Surprised by the long lines for concessions / they needed many more people. The facilities look old, which they are, but not very impressed with the upkeep.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Early in the 1st quarter Vito Priore threw a deep pass down the left sideline that was way overthrown to Aaron Parker.

Or so it seemed.

I was on the Brown side of the field at the time with a great view of the play.

Amazingly, Parker sped by his coverage, dove, and almost made a miraculous catch. The Brown fans in the area were just like me, they couldn’t believe Parker even caught up with the ball, never mind coming very close to making the catch. It’s the special things like this that make going to the games live so worthwhile. It shows why a guy like Parker is drawing NFL interest.
1 x