GM 4 Football vs Stony Brook 7pm Saturday Sept 28

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Re: GM 4 Football vs Stony Brook 7pm Saturday Sept 28

Unread post by DanInAZ »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Well. At least the missed PAT didn’t factor.
For URI to tie with a FG it played a factor.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That last play would have been cool if it was the first play instead of a sack.

I don’t know whether to throw up over the ways we are losing these games or optimistic because obviously we are not far away. But I’ve never experienced three losses like these in a season rooting for other football teams, never mind right in a row like this. This team should and very easily could be 3-0 in the conference. Gross.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Their defense sucks.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

There really aren't any words for it.

I dont think I've seen a team with as much talent in its respective level, lose their first four football games like that.

That is just depressing.

Feel bad for guys like Aaron Parker.

I mean he does not deserve to be on a winless team like this. He is a top tier FBS talent that has to go through our Rhody losing bullshit.

At least after this year maybe he can go win with someone in the NFL.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is insulting now. Everything that was gained last season has been lost. ONLY Uri can lose like this. How many f*cking times can they lose in a heart breaking fashion.
0 x
GO RAMS
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Nothing learned.
Defense,run game,kicking game do nothing.
Literally.

Thank god for Vito.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s just a waste of 2 of the most dynamic offensive players we have had in a while in Parker and Dorsey. You can literally throw it up and Parker wins the jump ball 9 times out of 10. So disappointing the kid won’t go out a winner he’s a generational talent for us.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... aight-time

"Very Winnable games"

How do we struggle so badly in the first half and just suddenly turn it on in the second.

I get the defense struggling.

No team in the FCS should be able to shut them out in the first half.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago It’s just a waste of 2 of the most dynamic offensive players we have had in a while in Parker and Dorsey. You can literally throw it up and Parker wins the jump ball 9 times out of 10. So disappointing the kid won’t go out a winner he’s a generational talent for us.

Yes!!!

Even if he is double covered we have two more STUDS in Coulter and Dorsey that are probably open.

Then Frimpong is out there making plays, so theres at least 3 guys after the incredible unstoppable Parker out there who can play.

How can we possibly struggle?

Only ran 10 times with Bryant. 3.8 yards a carry. Not great but not horrible.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

It takes our offense so long to develop. We came back in these games but we fall short 3 straight times.

The offense feels so predictable. The only time something happens is a jump ball or we hit on a slant that goes for more.

The offense is so predictable.
The defense continues to give up huge plays.

Lack of a run game. Lack of a run defense.

It will be hard for URI to reach 4 wins this season.

Some on here last week called for the AD’s job. A few for the HC’s job. I like both guys. I’m a huge Thorr fan. But to have this much talent and finish with 2-3 wins is unacceptable.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

The missed extra point was a nail in the coffin.
Not the final nail,but one more hard to explain obstacle to overcome for a team that does not need any.
To start off the 2nd half ,kicked the ball out of bounds to give it to SB on 35.
So many mistakes ,it makes special teams a wash or less effective.
Dorsey scores 6,miss a point after or FG and now dilutes the practical total.
It’s called the “Rhody shuffle “. A complicated rap dance.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodyfan3 wrote: 4 years ago It takes our offense so long to develop. We came back in these games but we fall short 3 straight times.

The offense feels so predictable. The only time something happens is a jump ball or we hit on a slant that goes for more.

The offense is so predictable.
The defense continues to give up huge plays.

Lack of a run game. Lack of a run defense.

It will be hard for URI to reach 4 wins this season.

Some on here last week called for the AD’s job. A few for the HC’s job. I like both guys. I’m a huge Thorr fan. But to have this much talent and finish with 2-3 wins is unacceptable.

If it takes plays too long to develop then we need to speed things up more.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rhodyfan3 wrote: 4 years ago Some on here last week called for the AD’s job. A few for the HC’s job. I like both guys. I’m a huge Thorr fan. But to have this much talent and finish with 2-3 wins is unacceptable.
There is no way that Thorr gets fired because the football team lost three conference games in a row in the final seconds. What are we even talking about? This isn’t Alabama, and even if it were they wouldn’t fire the athletic director over that, either. That’s like firing a CEO because a shift worker crashed a delivery van.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

No, but someone should be held accountable.

And that someone is Fleming.

It's his choker of a defense that's responsible, and that makes him responsible.

To give him a 3 year extension for this? Another 2-3 win season?

Only at URI.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DanInAZ wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Well. At least the missed PAT didn’t factor.
For URI to tie with a FG it played a factor.
Kevin Macnamara’s article describes the possible impact of the missed extra point. Would a prevent defense have made a difference as URI would have tried to prevent the big play? More speed in the game to cover deep? Not rushing 4 big lineman?

Carrick missed the extra point after Parker’s touchdown and that clouded URI’s defensive options as Stony Brook took over with a minute on the clock. Instead of nursing a four-point lead and asking the defense to prevent a touchdown, Rhody now needed to hold off a field goal for a tie.
Fields, a shifty dual-option quarterback who hurt the Rams with his arm (199 yards passing) and legs (85 yards), converted a third-down play to keep his team alive. He threw an incomplete pass on another third down and faced fourth-and-6 from the 50-yard line.
Fleming said he decided to rush four defenders and prevent any passes over the top on the play, but as Fields dropped back to pass, his option was clear. He pulled the ball down and tore up the middle for the first down but then shifted to his left and tore up the sideline. The Seawolves quarterback kept motoring all the way into the end zone with just 11 seconds left on the clock.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... aight-time
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

On the plus side

What a game!! What a game! What a game!
  • Over 6000 fans
  • I did not think we would beat Stony Brook as they are always very tough but we almost did
  • Amazing 4th Q as we outscored Stony Brook 20-17
  • Ahmere Dorsey 99 yard return when the game looked over!!
  • the 92 yard, 11 play drive late in 4th was awesome with Coulter getting the TD Pass
  • Coulter right after his TD catch recovers the on side kick - had to be out of breath but makes he huge play!!
  • Aaron Parker with the big TD reception following a big pass/run play by Dorsey
  • Branyan Javier-Castillo with another superb game

It was a shame to lose but the guys gave it everything they had

I’m looking forward to Brown next Saturday!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This team can't stop anybody with the game on the line.

If there are any Jets fans out there, they would know.

Finding a new way to lose every time...reminds me of the Baron years and the early Hurley years here.

Any time the game is close at the end, they will lose.

Let's see, they SHOULD beat Brown and Merrimack by a lot.

Elon, Albany, Maine, and William and Mary will likely be close games. All losses most likely.

VaTech and James Madison, no chance.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Stony Brook was a much bigger team than us. They really controlled most of the game, look at the stats.
We never gave up. I hate to say refs were not calling a good game, but the 3rd down play before Stony Brook 50 yard TD run to win it
our lineman was held, you could see him being pulled by the jersey, I was in the East Stands at that time and people said 'If you don't call holding on that play, you will never call it'. I don't like to see refs make a big call that could decide the game, like they did in the Delaware game, without the hold there could have been a sack.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

KMac is right,make that PAT,put one guy on the goal line,another in between defense and goal line.
A lot more freedom. What it created was a lot of tension for a defense that plays like it could already bite a nail in half.
And man does that tightness show.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's always something....no holding call, missed pat, and on and on.....loser's lament.

Years ago in the NY Post, there used to be a regular column by Steve Serby called Mr. Loser....written in painful detail all of the different ways he would lose.....fits this team perfectly.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3 wrote: 4 years ago Some on here last week called for the AD’s job. A few for the HC’s job. I like both guys. I’m a huge Thorr fan. But to have this much talent and finish with 2-3 wins is unacceptable.
There is no way that Thorr gets fired because the football team lost three conference games in a row in the final seconds. What are we even talking about? This isn’t Alabama, and even if it were they wouldn’t fire the athletic director over that, either. That’s like firing a CEO because a shift worker crashed a delivery van.
I also agree there is no way Thorr goes anywhere. He’s done great things. I thought it was pretty outrageous for people to say that last week. I’m not the most articulate guy on here, so I can understand how that came off wrong.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Has Steve Serby ever seen Rhody play?
There were highlights on espn sports center of the last 3 TDS .
Missed the shanked PAT.
There was about as much pressure on that kick as one would find on a Saturday afternoon at Scarborough beach.
you could cut it with a knife right after that.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody continues to find new ways to lose games. I heard several people yell fire Fleming on the way out last night. He may not be the best coach, but do you blame him for the late missed PAT or the QB 50 yard TD scramble on fourth down with 11 seconds left? Someone needs to make a play there to at least hold them to a field goal. I know Rhody has years of losing on its resume so it wouldn’t easy, but the staff has to recruit better players on D, especially on the D line.

As for the offense, I thought Bryant ran hard last night: almost always forward movement after contact. This might be nitpicking, but I thought the center snap was an issue for most of the night. It came back floating a lot. The guy sitting behind me agreed. That can disrupt the timing of the offense. Vito had to wait that extra second to secure the ball instead of being able to see the rush and check the coverage sooner. Those of you who were there, I’m interested to see if you noticed this.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Sidd-correct,there might be one bad snap a game,not multiple.
This has been going on since 2010.
To rambones and Kmacs points,the lack of running game is a reason contributing to the twilight zone endings as it limits incredibly the play calling options. It’s just a waste of time trying to this point. Kenny (out for season?) was having good game,but TEs overall contribute zilch. Thinking was offense would have countless options going into season. Reality is it is very limited.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

B Forster, I agree that there was just one really bad snap where Vito had to just fall on the ball, but many didn’t come back with enough zip. I’ll stop with that topic now.

The team did show some resiliency, mainly due to Dorsey’s kickoff return. That brought all kinds of life to the sidelines and the stands. It’s amazing how at times the offense becomes just throw it up to Parker and let him make a play and most of the time he does. I shudder to think what the offense will be like next year without Dorsey and Parker.

That was a guy punch last night, but to me, nothing will approach last year’s Maine game. There were several horrendous coaching decisions (no on side or squib kick late?) and horrible penalties ( two 12 men on the field penalties on the last Maine drive that led to the game winning field goal).

It probably wouldn’t have mattered, but the last play was curious to me. Why didn’t they incorporate a lateral or two? I know it’s a very low probability of success, but you have to try. Coulter wasn’t going to weave through the entire defense and score on his own.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Sidd,agreed,the last play was odd.
Last night and today been getting the rehash from loyal fans.
How about this-3rd,4th and long are religiously given up by the D. Cannot assume they would have stopped the 1st down.
Who’s to say if the QB does not score on that long run,just gets the first down,that SB does not get a chip shot FG to put it into OT?
I wouldn’t have bet against it. That’s where the missed XP comes back into play.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Just watched the last play.

When he took off you wouldve never thought he wouldve made it in.

Ughhh.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago B Forster, I agree that there was just one really bad snap where Vito had to just fall on the ball, but many didn’t come back with enough zip. I’ll stop with that topic now.

The team did show some resiliency, mainly due to Dorsey’s kickoff return. That brought all kinds of life to the sidelines and the stands. It’s amazing how at times the offense becomes just throw it up to Parker and let him make a play and most of the time he does. I shudder to think what the offense will be like next year without Dorsey and Parker.

That was a guy punch last night, but to me, nothing will approach last year’s Maine game. There were several horrendous coaching decisions (no on side or squib kick late?) and horrible penalties ( two 12 men on the field penalties on the last Maine drive that led to the game winning field goal).

It probably wouldn’t have mattered, but the last play was curious to me. Why didn’t they incorporate a lateral or two? I know it’s a very low probability of success, but you have to try. Coulter wasn’t going to weave through the entire defense and score on his own.
Same thing last year with Lawson. Frequent soft and often inaccurate snaps back to Lawson. I saw similar behavior yesterday. I don’t see this with other teams - pro, college or high school.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Sidd,agreed,the last play was odd.
Last night and today been getting the rehash from loyal fans.
How about this-3rd,4th and long are religiously given up by the D. Cannot assume they would have stopped the 1st down.
Who’s to say if the QB does not score on that long run,just gets the first down,that SB does not get a chip shot FG to put it into OT?
I wouldn’t have bet against it. That’s where the missed XP comes back into play.
Nope.
  • It was 4th and 6 from the 50. Stony Brook had no timeouts left.
  • Ball was on the 50 years line
  • Stony Brook scored with only 11 seconds to go
  • Stony Brook would have needed to get to the URI 30 yard to be able to kick a 47 yard FG
  • Believe time would have run out
  • It took a miracle by the QB and he delivered
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Ramster,there were 3 plays run after the TD ??
Rhody has been giving up 3rd,4th and impossible devoutly.
Rams were lucky they weren’t down 14-0 at half.
The other teams score regularly on their very first possession. Tough way to start.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like has been said here over and over....there are multiple reasons why teams lose games.....you just can't point to one thing and say that's why we lost.....it's a combination of things with this team and staff.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I have to be positive, otherwise, I would go crazy, but the two-night games were a huge success. We could have had two wins, but other than that it was a great opening to the new lights.
1 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

“We had three tough conference losses,” said Fleming. “All winnable football games. We gotta find a way to get it done.”

He has said this more times than is acceptable. Time to see if someone else can get it done!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

#24 Stony Brook lost 45-38 to #2 James Madison on OT today in New York.
0 x