ATP is Home from the Hospital - Dec 5 Update

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: ATP is in the hospital

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Stay positive, stay strong and you'll be walking into the Ryan Center soon.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Best wishes to you ATP get better soon
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

All my best to you, Matt!
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Best wishes ATP we are all pulling for you!
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Wishing you the best ATP. You are in great hands at Spaulding. We are all cheering for you as hard as we cheer for the Rams! And you know how much that is #GoRhody and #GoATP
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Pulling for you ATP, get well soon.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Stay strong brother, we need you, you're our captain!
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Can't wait for your return to the RC!
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

A best friend of mine suffered a spinal stroke several years back and was effectively paralyzed from the neck down. He spent 4 months at Spaulding, and with the help of the excellent team there, he regained nearly full range of motion. If you didn’t know what happened to him, you would never know anything was different.

I’m sure you will be just as successful, Matt. Best wishes from friartown.
7 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago A best friend of mine suffered a spinal stroke several years back and was effectively paralyzed from the neck down. He spent 4 months at Spaulding, and with the help of the excellent team there, he regained nearly full range of motion. If you didn’t know what happened to him, you would never know anything was different.

I’m sure you will be just as successful, Matt. Best wishes from friartown.
That is wonderful to hear about your friend! It's amazing what the human body is capable of. We are very lucky to be in such close proximity to some of the best medical care in the world.
2 x
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

Keep working hard in rehab Matt. The process may be long and arduous but you'll get this and be as good as new before you know it. Soon you'll have the Rhody season to act as a distraction. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts each day!
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Wishing you the best. My wife was mostly in and sometimes out of hospitals for a good 6 months with a digestive tract issue, had a tube for what seemed like a year but she basically fully recovered within a calendar year or so. Sometimes you (or your family for that matter from my experience) will think "why me", but keep as positive as possible and track improvements going forward rather than comparing yourself to the past. Although with Spaulding on your side even without full function you may feel stronger than before the issues. That's the only way I could be forced to a gym at this point! ;)
2 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Hey everyone. First time I’ve ever posted but I’ve been reading the site for years. Thought this was the right time because I have some experience with what ATP is going through. In 2004 I was in an accident at work which resulted in a spinal cord injury. It was my T4, T5 verts. They were completely destroyed and has to be rebuilt by my spinal surgeon. My spinal cord was damaged but thankfully not severed. So, I have what is called incomplete paraplegia. I was completely paralyzed from the chest down for about 2 weeks. My surgeon gave me a 1% chance of getting anything back. He was shocked when after a couple weeks the swelling went down and I could wiggle my toe. Once I did that it was off to PT. Slowly more and more came back. Long story short I spent 70 days in Albany Medical Center and 2 years after doing PT. I can walk and drive unassisted. Own my own business that requires somewhat physical work and also work a second job. Anyway, with all of the advancements they have made in the treatment of SCI’s they will have ATP up and about in no time. Just do what the therapists tell you and don’t give up. The harder you work the better the results. Good luck ATP
13 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RIrugger01 wrote: 4 years ago Hey everyone. First time I’ve ever posted but I’ve been reading the site for years. Thought this was the right time because I have some experience with what ATP is going through. In 2004 I was in an accident at work which resulted in a spinal cord injury. It was my T4, T5 verts. They were completely destroyed and has to be rebuilt by my spinal surgeon. My spinal cord was damaged but thankfully not severed. So, I have what is called incomplete paraplegia. I was completely paralyzed from the chest down for about 2 weeks. My surgeon gave me a 1% chance of getting anything back. He was shocked when after a couple weeks the swelling went down and I could wiggle my toe. Once I did that it was off to PT. Slowly more and more came back. Long story short I spent 70 days in Albany Medical Center and 2 years after doing PT. I can walk and drive unassisted. Own my own business that requires somewhat physical work and also work a second job. Anyway, with all of the advancements they have made in the treatment of SCI’s they will have ATP up and about in no time. Just do what the therapists tell you and don’t give up. The harder you work the better the results. Good luck ATP
Thanks for sharing that. Glad you are doing well.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

People say sports are meaningless. This type of stuff is what sports are all about. It brings people together both as fans and competitors into a community of support. At the end of the day, the results of the games are mostly inconsequential but the relationships built (even those over a silly message board) are anything but. In the wake of a difficult situation for one of your own, this thread is truly an uplifting display of support from all corners.
6 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RIrugger01 wrote: 4 years ago Hey everyone. First time I’ve ever posted but I’ve been reading the site for years. Thought this was the right time because I have some experience with what ATP is going through. In 2004 I was in an accident at work which resulted in a spinal cord injury. It was my T4, T5 verts. They were completely destroyed and has to be rebuilt by my spinal surgeon. My spinal cord was damaged but thankfully not severed. So, I have what is called incomplete paraplegia. I was completely paralyzed from the chest down for about 2 weeks. My surgeon gave me a 1% chance of getting anything back. He was shocked when after a couple weeks the swelling went down and I could wiggle my toe. Once I did that it was off to PT. Slowly more and more came back. Long story short I spent 70 days in Albany Medical Center and 2 years after doing PT. I can walk and drive unassisted. Own my own business that requires somewhat physical work and also work a second job. Anyway, with all of the advancements they have made in the treatment of SCI’s they will have ATP up and about in no time. Just do what the therapists tell you and don’t give up. The harder you work the better the results. Good luck ATP
Best First post ever thank you
11 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

I frequently visit this board, but rarely post anything (especially in the off season). I just wanted to send my best wishes to ATP and let him know I am pulling for him. I really enjoy the content he provides to the board and his support and knowledge of URI athletics. KeaneyBlue is a great little community. Get well soon ATP!
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Good to hear from you ATP !

stay strong and keep battling

We are all pulling for you !
2 x
URI_CellBio14
Abdul Fox

Unread post by URI_CellBio14 »

I'm in a similar boat to others above in that I hardly post (my basketball knowledge is much less than the veterans here so I prefer to keep my mouth shut and stay out of trouble ;) ) but still find so much enjoyment on the board.

I really wish you well in your recovery and thank you for helping this board work so well. URI athletics has a deep place in my heart and I have so many fond memories both of URI athletics and reading this board.

Medical science is amazing as highlighted by several posts above and the human body does amazing things. I work as an EMT so I've seen the human body do incredible things. Spaulding is an amazing place with a great staff.

I actually live a few streets away from Spaulding in Charlestown, MA, so if you ever need anything, please let me know. Side note: I FINALLY found a clam shack near Boston that serves fried seafood at RI levels, so if you need some clam cakes, I'd be glad to sneak some in.

Again thanks for being an All-Star human being and stay strong!
12 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

ATP, just saw your first post. Sounds like you have a great attitude and are on your way on a very hard but hopefully successful journey.

Like i said in my first post in this thread i went through something like you. Mine also involved multiple surgeries ian a sensitive area and I came out of it paralyzed. Not as extensive as you. But like said i could not feel my foot, or most of the lower leg at all, I could only move that area below the knee very slightly. even had numbness in my fingers originally.

Like the new poster who as recovered from massive nerve injury said. Our understanding and advancement in nerve injuries has progressed lightyears from when we were told that nerve cells did not regenerate and these injuries were 100% permeant.

just a few last things from my experience were important and i wanted to say.

1. Don't get discouraged, the healing for me was so slow to the point it's hard to really notice progress until you realize a few months later you can now feel your foot. Like is aid in my other post. Just survive day by day!

2. A big one for me was to get home, or at least out of the hospital. I think having to do more of my own things forced me to improve even more so then the physical therapy. until one day i felt like my leg was now moving far enough that i could walk so i just tried it. From there i had even more improvement with my leg straightening out in a way my dos never thought possible.

3. This ties into everything I've said. Try to be as active in those areas along the borders of paralysis as possible. I feel like this may be the key

If you have bad nerve pain most docs are unaware of that are amazing for serious nerve pain. Personally mine was so bad even with all the opioids, Neurontin e ct.. i found myself reading medical journals on pain management and some new studies had amazing results.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hello KeaneyBlue family. After three months away from my family in the hospital I am back home.

Without the use of my legs I require a lot of help for just the basics. I’m now in a wheelchair during my long road to what I hope is a full recovery.

Yesterday I made the decision that I would not attempt to go to the URI-PC game. Getting out of the house is still a major challenge this soon after returning home from the hospital.

My family has set up a go fund me to help offset medical expenses, home modifications, and reduced income. Please consider helping my family for what is going to be a very difficult year. Thank you for all the well wishes and support!

Go Fund Me - Help Matt Get Back on His Feet
19 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ATP is Home from the Hospital - Dec 5 Update

Unread post by Blue Man »

We got you buddy - you've given all of us a place to commiserate, celebrate, and grieve many, many years of the shared pain and joy that comes with being a Rhody fan.

Glad to see you're on the road to recovery and another step closer to being back!
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

Shared on my personal page. You’ll be there with us in spirit. Hope we can get a win for you!
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Glad you are home ATP wishing you well
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Great to hear you are home!
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Matt,

We haven’t met but I look forward to it. So glad that you are home with your family and that you are able to enjoy the game from home! I’ll cheer a little extra harder and a little extra louder, and that will be from you!

Thanks for all you put into KB!

From one of the dreaded “female” interlopers on the board!! :lol:
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Excellent to hear you are home ATP! Here's hoping for a full recovery!!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just in time to watch the PC - URI game on ESPN and in time for the Holidays. Welcome Home. You have been missed.
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Wonderful news . I hope you will have a full recovery soon.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

WELCOME HOME !

can’t wait until you get a chance to get back to the Ryan center !

keep battling and fighting
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Glad you are home Matt. Looking forward to celebrating your full recovery in the future. Glad you don’t have to watch any Rhody games on your cell phone anymore. Rhody fans support you. Rhody! Rhody! Rhody!
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hoping for a full recovery for you....maybe see you at future radio shows!
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Echoing what others have said. We're a family here. I'm incredibly happy to see you're progressing this much. My wife and I will chip in as well - we need ATP back to 100%. Get well soon from Bee311 and myself.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I just saw this and clicked the link, and wow the fundraiser has already reached it's goal in a day! Great news!
2 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

Matt, glad to hear that you are home, I hope that you make a full recovery.

I live with my girlfriend who is a paraplegic in a manual wheelchair, she was in a car accident many years ago when she was in high school.

If you need any advice, recommendations, etc., please let me know.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago I just saw this and clicked the link, and wow the fundraiser has already reached it's goal in a day! Great news!
Wow! When I donated yesterday, I think it was only a few hundred (if memory servers) - to raise that much so quickly is a credit to the donors and to Matt and his family!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

So happy to hear you are home Matt! We miss you in the 205 and look forward to seeing you again soon.
4 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Just saw this post. Wish you all the best. Donating now.
3 x
Common sense is not common.
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

bumping this to the top. This board is the best in the A10 (imho) and can compete across the country. both from ATP and from our members.
4 x
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

Best of luck, happy to contribute to another URI supporter.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KBers, with $1,100 more in contributions the funds raised will hit $20,000. Let’s show what being a part of the Rhody family is all about.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

late to the game, but just donated.

Go Matt!

Go Rhody!
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Best of luck Matt!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago KBers, with $1,100 more in contributions the funds raised will hit $20,000. Let’s show what being a part of the Rhody family is all about.
Great job making the $20,000 last night. Time to keep pushing with contributions.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/aep49m-help- ... n-his-feet
5 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Merry Christmas KB kin!!

Donate today and keep them coming. Think of all the time we spend being entertained and becoming informed on this forum, thank Matt for this blessing.
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'