GM 3 Football @ New Hampshire 6pm Saturday Sept 21

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Re: GM 3 Football @ New Hampshire 6pm Saturday Sept 21

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Dumb question here...….does Fleming call the plays? If not, who does?

There needs to be a change...is it his son?

Yeah the D isn't very good, but you still have to find a way to win the close ones...playing conservatively on offense with a poor defense won't work.
His son Will is the OC. As far as I know he’s calling the plays.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodyfan3 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Dumb question here...….does Fleming call the plays? If not, who does?

There needs to be a change...is it his son?

Yeah the D isn't very good, but you still have to find a way to win the close ones...playing conservatively on offense with a poor defense won't work.
His son Will is the OC. As far as I know he’s calling the plays.

To hell with this nepotism!
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Isn’t Fleming’s son the offensive play caller? Hmmm.

Add James Madison to the list of definite losses.

I didn’t see any of today’s game, but it sounds like more of the same for the rush defense. I was at the home opener game and posted as to how small the Rhody d line looked compared to the Delaware o line. Delaware barely scraped by Penn today, whose been a middling Ivy team lately, so that doesn’t say much about Delaware.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Thank God for Vito.
Same as past-offense revolves around him,Parker,Dorsey and to lesser extent Coulter.
Running the ball is just a waste of time.
D looks like it has lost confidence.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dorsey averages 15 yards a touch and only gets the ball 3 times in the game. Do the NY Giants and Rhody share play calling secrets? We go to the wildcat for a short span of the game and then never do it again. Get that kid the ball in space he is electric. Going to be a waste of a few tremendous guys at the skill positions who will all graduate this year. Too bad.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Fleming's son needs to grow a pair and get more aggressive in his play calling.

Have to try to offset the defensive shortcomings.

Does anybody know if Fleming was extended? Hopefully not, because with graduations we will likely be worse next season.

Thorr should give Fleming a minimum number of wins he has to get by the end of the season. Doesn't get them, then sayonara.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Fleming did get an extension.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

Commenters sound almost surprised that Fleming and son are not up to this job. And Thor extending a coach with a 5 year record of 13-43 is clearly overmatched as well.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

72 Rams

Total Offensive Plays

58 UNH

34:34 Rams
TIME OF POSSESSION
25:26 UNH

little scary,you guys are right-not enough production (scores) for these type of #s
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

13-43.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I know this will be a wildly unpopular opinion around here, but it is time to seriously start asking if Thorr Bjorn is the right man for the AD job. In my opinion, it's becoming more and more clear that it is time to move on...
1 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I know this will be a wildly unpopular opinion around here, but it is time to seriously start asking if Thorr Bjorn is the right man for the AD job. In my opinion, it's becoming more and more clear that it is time to move on...
Can you explain how that’s becoming more and more clear?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good riddance Jimmy Fleming
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I know this will be a wildly unpopular opinion around here, but it is time to seriously start asking if Thorr Bjorn is the right man for the AD job. In my opinion, it's becoming more and more clear that it is time to move on...
Giving an extension to a coach with a 13-43 record made it perfectly clear to me that Thor does not care about football. I doubt any coach in college football history was extended with a comparable record. I will go out on a limb and estimate that the record will be 13-48 going into the Brown game. Thing BIG, URI does!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

How long was the extension? Two years? One?

If this doesn't get turned around and fast, it's time to go.

However I doubt that either will happen.

Didn't Thorr tell Fleming to hire another OC a while back? Why did he relent? No good.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

I don't think Thorr pushed Fleming on a new OC.
They need to hire at least a Co-OC.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

I don't think Thor has pushed Fleming on anything. As far as having a legitimate FCS football program, they both need to go.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Uncle Ed wrote: 4 years ago I don't think Thor has pushed Fleming on anything. As far as having a legitimate FCS football program, they both need to go.
Do you mean Fleming and Son when you say both?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think he means Fleming and Thorr.

From what I've heard Thorr is a huge supporter of Fleming.

That can't continue if they keep losing. Team has too much talent that is being wasted by this staff. Yes I know they aren't THAT good, with a leaky defense and such, but they should be better than what they are.

Personally I really like Thorr, he's a great guy, but it's true good guys finish last...….might be time for some new blood.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just my opinion, but I don't think the football program has been handled very well for years now. It was a tough situation, but it seems like little progress has been made. As for hoops, I feel like we are in danger of losing any momentum we had going for us coming out of the Hurley era. His hands may have been tied a little, but I think more should have been done to invest more into the program after the success we had. Maybe my opinion will change if the practice facility gets off the ground soon and money starts getting invested in assistant pools and other program enhancements. I hope I'm wrong in the end, because I think Thorr is a great guy and really like him and want him to succeed.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Fleming did get an extension.
During summer camp there was talk that an extension was close, but at this time no announcement has been made by the school that Fleming has been extended beyond this season
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's good, because Fleming et al are coaching themselves out of jobs the way this season is going.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I mean Thor has done a lot of good. I'll need to see a lot more before I could say we should move on.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

How is Fleming able to recruit when this is last year of contract?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well if this is his last year of his contract, he's coaching for his job...and that's the way it should be.

Yeah it hurts recruiting, but it's best for the long run...there is a lot more talent here than there was when he started...at least he's done that.
1 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

There has been no announcement made by URI about Fleming being extended - that is correct. But I have been told that a 3 year extension has been enacted. I don't know if there is a State law that makes release of such "high cost contracts" available to the public. Anyway, it makes sense that Thorr would not publicize a new contract for a coach with a 13 - 43 record.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Rambone,my point exactly,hell of a job by Fleming recruiting with his contract being up. Truly incredible. Game day,eh-not so much.
I have heard same thing Ed did.
Maybe Rowdy is right,this is the end.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Uncle Ed wrote: 4 years ago There has been no announcement made by URI about Fleming being extended - that is correct. But I have been told that a 3 year extension has been enacted. I don't know if there is a State law that makes release of such "high cost contracts" available to the public. Anyway, it makes sense that Thorr would not publicize a new contract for a coach with a 13 - 43 record.
It doesn't make sense for either party not to release it if it has actually happened. It doesn't help Fleming in recruiting and it doesn't help the school for everyone to think we've got a lame duck coach. If he got extended then he'll be on the sideline next year, it's not like not releasing the info changes things, and honestly most everyone was pretty excited about the direction of the program going into the Delaware game. I don't think it's a done deal or the deal is contingent upon hitting certain benchmarks this year. There's simply no way the deal is done but no one wants to announce it.

Lord knows I haven't been the biggest Fleming fan, but the fact remains that since the glory years of 1984 and 1985 we've had four winning seasons and Fleming owns one of them. Two of the five coaches since Bob Griffin left here without getting a single winning season. Letting him go one season after producing one of the four winning seasons we've had in 23 seasons is a really, really tough sell to potential future coaches. "Yes, we still have by far the worst facilities in the conference. Yes, we'll only pay you middle of the pack compared to your peers in conference. Yes, we might axe you one year after producing one of our better seasons in over two decades. Hello? Hello???"
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Whats the football teams record with Thor at the helm?
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Whats the football teams record with Thor at the helm?
He took over August 8th, 2007. In that time football is 31-107. In the equivalent time before he took over the football team was 47-89. Obviously a lot of the 31-107 was baked in before he could do anything.
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Whats the football teams record with Thor at the helm?
He took over August 8th, 2007. In that time football is 31-107. In the equivalent time before he took over the football team was 47-89. Obviously a lot of the 31-107 was baked in before he could do anything.
Thorr made a program-changing hire months after arriving but Rizzi didn't stay long enough to establish residency in RI.
0 x