‘20 Recruiting Class

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

‘20 Recruiting Class

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The two goals for the ‘20 recruiting class where #1 a PG and #2 a big man

PG - Ishmael Leggett to commit tonight
SG - Elijah Wood committed
C/Big - one open scholarship to be used on a big

The big man could be a mid-year transfer (currently have an open scholarship), a JUCO or a HS/Prep.
I think Cox waits on a commitment to any HS/Prep until after the first semester to see if any transfer becomes available.
It would be helpful to get an experienced/mature body big to contribute next year.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: ‘20 Recruiting Class

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I think we end up with a ‘20 big. Staff is always working. Don’t assume the silence is a sign of the staff sitting on their hands.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I think we end up with a ‘20 big. Staff is always working. Don’t assume the silence is a sign of the staff sitting on their hands.
Any idea which '20 bigs we're still involved with?
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I think we end up with a ‘20 big. Staff is always working. Don’t assume the silence is a sign of the staff sitting on their hands.
I don't doubt the URI staff is working hard, but do believe they are struggling to find a quality '20 big to replace Cyril. The depth chart for PF/C's is definitely weaker this year. For example, Elijah Taylor (Imhotep) just signed with Notre Dame, Nick Farrar NC State, Taj Thwheat - West Virginia, Zed Key probably on his way to Ohio State. These are all guys we were in on at one point, and think in other years we would have been competing for them. I'm not sure we have even landed in the final 6 or 8 for any of these guys - that should tell you something. These guys are good, but not great.

Maybe DC knows something, but I think things have been quiet on the big front, because Cox doesn't want to settle for a guy like Andre Screen and is willing to see the market for bigs to develop in the winter/spring. We don't have the luxury of a project with Cyril leaving, so agree with 83 that we might be taking a wait and see approach for a JUCO or mid year transfer.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago
I don't doubt the URI staff is working hard, but do believe they are struggling to find a quality '20 big to replace Cyril. The depth chart for PF/C's is definitely weaker this year. For example, Elijah Taylor (Imhotep) just signed with Notre Dame, Nick Farrar NC State, Taj Thwheat - West Virginia, Zed Key probably on his way to Ohio State. These are all guys we were in on at one point, and think in other years we would have been competing for them. I'm not sure we have even landed in the final 6 or 8 for any of these guys - that should tell you something. These guys are good, but not great.

Maybe DC knows something, but I think things have been quiet on the big front, because Cox doesn't want to settle for a guy like Andre Screen and is willing to see the market for bigs to develop in the winter/spring. We don't have the luxury of a project with Cyril leaving, so agree with 83 that we might be taking a wait and see approach for a JUCO or mid year transfer.
Your absolutely right, no settling!
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

This is already a home run class - exactly what we needed to continue momentum of the program. Disagree with those that are freaking about Cyril leaving. Fully acknowledging that he is our best post player, we have more than capable options next year on the roster already. Need a guy who will be ready by year 2 like Cyril was.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Word tonight was it's down to the big at Worcester and someone that TJ was out tracking in the Midwest
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Are we still on Josh Gray? He looked like a good fit.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox expects the two bigs they are focused on to have OVs in October.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Can we guess at who the two names are? Curious if they are freshmen semi-ready or low ranked projects. I would guess the ladder at this stage.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

CT Rhody wrote: 4 years ago Can we guess at who the two names are? Curious if they are freshmen semi-ready or low ranked projects. I would guess the ladder at this stage.
According to Iggy, Ogundele is one.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I know we need height but I’m not sure that recruiting an actual ladder is the way to go.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

CT Rhody wrote: 4 years ago Can we guess at who the two names are? Curious if they are freshmen semi-ready or low ranked projects. I would guess the ladder at this stage.
If they are from the Midwest - Matt Nicholson and Mo Njie come to mind - but these are complete guesses
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago
If they are from the Midwest - Matt Nicholson and Mo Njie come to mind - but these are complete guesses
It’s Josh Ogundele.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There are definitely two they are pursuing heavily to get one.
Ogundele is one. The other TJ was visiting yesterday/last night.
Cox was smiling when talking about where they are for this class.
He said they will get one of the bigs and left me with the impression it would be in the November signing period.
They are visiting in Oct with one visit during Homecoming weekend - football game at 1:00 and MBB Exhibition game at 7:00.
Verbal commitment on Sunday 😀
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody seems to have more than two bigs they are targeting. You can add Paul Smith from DeMatha to the list.
Also Thursday TJ was in Philly meeting with a recruit. Not sure who it was but could’ve been Valdir Manuel at Harcum (JUCO).
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Any more intel or details on the bigs?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
According to Iggy, Ogundele is one.
I think he is The One.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."