2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Re: 2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Justns11 »

i'm also a season ticket holder that drives over 120 miles each way, from Southern NH. I work in northern MA though, so the weeknight games are only about 90 miles for me.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Justns11 wrote: 4 years ago i'm also a season ticket holder that drives over 120 miles each way, from Southern NH. I work in northern MA though, so the weeknight games are only about 90 miles for me.

I appreciate that level of dedication.

In the eyes of most RI drivers, that amount of milage is unthinkable to drive in one day.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Justns11 wrote: 4 years ago i'm also a season ticket holder that drives over 120 miles each way, from Southern NH. I work in northern MA though, so the weeknight games are only about 90 miles for me.

I appreciate that level of dedication.

In the eyes of most RI drivers, that amount of milage is unthinkable to drive in one day.
Yep/ From Kingston, the world extends to the Tower in one direction and Stop n Shop in Richmond at the other.
Outside of that = road trip/major planning (take the day off from work type prep).
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......off topic for sure, but recently traveled up 146 north to get to the Mass Pike, and then pass Worcester, raise your hand if you are make that trip, even once to see the WooSox.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......off topic for sure, but recently traveled up 146 north to get to the Mass Pike, and then pass Worcester, raise your hand if you are make that trip, even once to see the WooSox.....
I know Worcester well as I went to school in the city and lived or worked in the county for a decade. I am however first and foremost a Pawtucket native. I will never attend a game there.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Tough OOC schedule showing up already. Good PR
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

College Sports Madness is once again doing its top 144 team countdown. Thus far these known URI opponents have made the list:

#51 Dayton - Conference Rank: #3 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17798
#58 Providence College - Conference Rank: #7 Big East - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17782
#64 Western Kentucky - Conference Rank: #1 Conference USA - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17768
#101 St Bonaventure Bonnies - Conference Rank: #5 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17652
#143 Saint Louis Billikens - Conference Rank: #6 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17581

URI's Ranking:
#79 Rhode Island - Conference Rank: #4 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17721
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO Rhody and Bonnies should be ranked higher. There is no way there are 6 teams in the Big East better than PC this year, so they should be higher too. Dayton seems about right but I think they will play into being a Top 40 team this year, CSM has them more highly regarded than other media which is a mistake based on what they bring back.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The more I look at our schedule the more I realize how tougha gauntlet that will be. Our SOS should be pretty damn solid. We have to finish that OOC slate at least .500.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago The more I look at our schedule the more I realize how tougha gauntlet that will be. Our SOS should be pretty damn solid. We have to finish that OOC slate at least .500.
Yup, it’s very brutal.
1 x
Go Rhody
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago The more I look at our schedule the more I realize how tougha gauntlet that will be. Our SOS should be pretty damn solid. We have to finish that OOC slate at least .500.
Do you want to get to the next level or not? If you do, then this is the type of schedule that you need to put together. Rhody's schedule maker did a good job.
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
Do you want to get to the next level or not? If you do, then this is the type of schedule that you need to put together. Rhody's schedule maker did a good job.
John Cheney had his faults but I always admired his play anyone anytime attitude.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Oh, don’t get me wrong I love it! My blood pressure doesn’t, but mentally, I’m all in!
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Great schedule this year. Home Non Conference games with Alabama, PC and Western Kentucky to go along with VCU, Dayton and Davidson. Also great road/neutral games with LSU, Maryland, WVU, Davidson, VCU and Davidson. Also some other decent games in the mix. I’m not sure we want or can duplicate this next year. Lucky we aren’t at Harvard this year-they are a borderline top 25 team
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
John Cheney had his faults but I always admired his play anyone anytime attitude.
I agree -- to a point. He went overboard with that philosophy his last two or three years and it hurt more than helped his program.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Great schedule this year. Home Non Conference games with Alabama, PC and Western Kentucky to go along with VCU, Dayton and Davidson. Also great road/neutral games with LSU, Maryland, WVU, Davidson, VCU and Davidson. Also some other decent games in the mix. I’m not sure we want or can duplicate this next year. Lucky we aren’t at Harvard this year-they are a borderline top 25 team

Psht, too bad we aren't at Harvard this year!

If we could beat them last year we can beat them this year.

Dowtin beat him by himself last year. With the help of the one three Fatts made.

But I get what you're saying! I'm just talkin tough.

There are pretty much no cupcakes on the schedule.

Even LIU Brooklyn will be tough. They bring everybody back from a winning team, two years removed from an NCAA bid.

Manhattan has a lot of upperclassmen.

Nicholls State has 10 upperclassmen.

MTSU will probably be better and that is on the road.

Brown was good last year, they gave us a hell of a game last time we were there.

Doesn't look like anybody will be a walk in the park.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Finishing .500 would most likely mean Rhody loses to every Q1 and Q2 team on their OOC schedule.
Losing to Maryland, Alabama, LSU, W Virginia, PC & W. Kentucky.
Beating LIU, Nicholls St, North Texas, Manhattan, Middle Tenn & Brown. Not exactly impressive wins.

That would be a horrible result and most likely eliminate an at large bid even before the A10 season starts.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Finishing .500 would most likely mean Rhody loses to every Q1 and Q2 team on their OOC schedule.
Beating LIU, Nicholls St, North Texas, Manhattan, Middle Tenn & Brown. Not exactly impressive wins.

That would be a horrible result and most likely eliminate an at large bid even before the A10 season starts.
Agreed, but if they lose all those games they don’t deserve to get an automatic bid anyway
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......a bit early to even start the “we win this/that game, against this/that team, from this/that conference.....”......our path is quite clear, get the automatic A-10 Tourney winner......no?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

Agreed, but if they lose all those games they don’t deserve to get an automatic bid anyway
.500 OOC is just way too low in my opinion.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Yea if they go .500 OOC this board will get ugly. Probably will at least a couple times during the season anyways :lol: but 6 OOC wins would not be good.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......a bit early to even start the “we win this/that game, against this/that team, from this/that conference.....”......our path is quite clear, get the automatic A-10 Tourney winner......no?
Well we definitely want to avoid having to win the A-10 tournament to get in.

We all want and maybe believe we should be able to have a team good enough for an at large bid. If we dont accomplish that then we better win the A-10 tournament or else I think most of us fans and all the coaches and players, will be very disappointed.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I agree with 83. IMO good wins outweigh bad losses, have to go 4-2 in those 6 games listed from our OOC. 3-3 at worse, but we will have to win 2 of the 3 from Bama, PC and WKU all at home. If not we will have to way over perform in the A10 and play ourselves in, tall task given the strength of the league this year.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I said on the last page that I thought 9-3/12-6 would get us a bid. Obviously if we can win 13 games in conference, that would be great, but 9 wins OOC should be the target. 6-6 OOC would be felt here as a disaster, so might as well calibrate expectations now.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I said on the last page that I thought 9-3/12-6 would get us a bid. Obviously if we can win 13 games in conference, that would be great, but 9 wins OOC should be the target. 6-6 OOC would be felt here as a disaster, so might as well calibrate expectations now.
That sounds about right on 21-9 being about the max for an automatic bid. Some years that wouldn’t be enough in the A-10, but the strong non conference schedule, 4-5 teams with NCAA tourney aspirations and playing the top teams twice gives us more room as long as we can go 3-3 in those games
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I said on the last page that I thought 9-3/12-6 would get us a bid. Obviously if we can win 13 games in conference, that would be great, but 9 wins OOC should be the target. 6-6 OOC would be felt here as a disaster, so might as well calibrate expectations now.
That sounds about right on 21-9 being about the max for an automatic bid. Some years that wouldn’t be enough in the A-10, but the strong non conference schedule, 4-5 teams with NCAA tourney aspirations and playing the top teams twice gives us more room as long as we can go 3-3 in those games
Obadiah’s prestigious contest is right around the corner - sounds like you guys are all ready for it. I’ve can’t possibly do worse with my predictions than I did last season
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would not feel safe being 21-9 heading into A10 tournament that’s bubble city with work to do at conference tournament
Remember the A10 tends to get screwed by the committee
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 4 years ago I would not feel safe being 21-9 heading into A10 tournament that’s bubble city with work to do at conference tournament
Remember the A10 tends to get screwed by the committee
I wouldn’t normally feel safe either, but the non conference schedule and the top teams in the A-10 are much better than last year. Also the bubble has been pretty soft the past few years since they added 4 teams. It would be very close at 21-9
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If we are 21-9 going into the A10 tournament, the computers will love us. Our schedule is very tough.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I'd definitely take my chances with 21-9 today
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

College Sports Madness is once again doing its top 144 team countdown. Thus far these known URI opponents have made the list:

#46 West Virginia - Conference Rank: #6 Big 12 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17806
#51 Dayton - Conference Rank: #3 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17798
#58 Providence College - Conference Rank: #7 Big East - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17782
#64 Western Kentucky - Conference Rank: #1 Conference USA - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17768
#101 St Bonaventure Bonnies - Conference Rank: #5 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17652
#143 Saint Louis Billikens - Conference Rank: #6 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17581

URI's Ranking:
#79 Rhode Island - Conference Rank: #4 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17721
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Using these rankings we will play 13 games against Top 75.
6 of those at home
6 away
1 neutral

Best Rhody schedule in as long as I can remember.
If we reach our ceiling I have to imagine we will break the attendance records. Prediction contest should be extra fun this year.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Using these rankings we will play 13 games against Top 75.
6 of those at home
6 away
1 neutral

Best Rhody schedule in as long as I can remember.
If we reach our ceiling I have to imagine we will break the attendance records. Prediction contest should be extra fun this year.

I believe based on who is still likely to be listed, it will be 12 games versus CSM Top 75:

Home 6
Alabama, PC, WKU, Dayton, Dav, & VCU

Away 5
Maryland, WVU, Dayton, Dav, & VCU

Neutral 1
LSU
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Dam Saturday math. You are right RF
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

College Sports Madness is once again doing its top 144 team countdown. Thus far as of 09/25/19 these known URI opponents have made the list:

#42 Davidson - Conference Rank: #2 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17820
#46 West Virginia - Conference Rank: #6 Big 12 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17806

URI's Ranking:
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

WVU is ranked oftly high after losing so many players from a bad team.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Huggins reloaded - three JUCOs and a Top 50 Fr added.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

3 x
Rhody2003
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rhody2003 »

Long time reader of the board since the projo days and here is my first take. Not sure if anyone saw the announcement of our scrimmage vs BC at Harvard October 27th....
Attachments
50C97C90-5C7C-4222-994D-9D16F977C6AC.png
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I think it reads BC plays URI on the 20th and Harvard on the 27th.
0 x
Rhody2003
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rhody2003 »

Makes sense. Not sure which fan base is worse, BC or UMass.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody2003 wrote: 4 years ago Long time reader of the board since the projo days and here is my first take. Not sure if anyone saw the announcement of our scrimmage vs BC at Harvard October 27th....
3 A10 vs ACC Scrimmages
URI - Boston College
VCU - Virginia
Richmond - Virginia Tech
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody2003 wrote: 4 years ago Makes sense. Not sure which fan base is worse, BC or UMass.
BC basketball has a fan base?
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody2003 wrote: 4 years ago Makes sense. Not sure which fan base is worse, BC or UMass.
BC basketball has a fan base?
Here are attendance numbers for BC, UMASS and URI last season

BC: 18 games, 94,377: 5,243 per game
UMASS: 17 games, 47,468: 2,792 per game
URI: 14 games, 81,153: 5,797 per game

FC89FEB2-2A18-45FE-87AC-A46AB7662A1F.png
22DA7622-D180-45EF-8F48-C80C36751363.png
4D8B10C8-7A0C-4AF8-8B65-12FC262F284E.png
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There has not been much change regarding the top draws for D1 attendance in New England over the last few years. The top six in order of highest average have been PC, UConn, URI, BC, UMass-Amherst, and Vermont.

NEW ENGLAND MEN'S BASKETBALL D1 HOME ATTENDANCE BY AVERAGE 2018-19
TEAM | GAMES | TOTAL | AVERAGE | LY AVERAGE | DIFF
PROVIDENCE | 18 | 171,761 | 9,542 | 9,547 | 0.0%
UCONN | 18 | 155,734 | 8,652 | 7,829 | 10.5%
URI | 14 | 81,153 | 5,797 | 6,216 | -6.7%
BOSTON COLLEGE | 18 | 94,377 | 5,243 | 5,160 | 1.6%
UMASS-AMHERST | 17 | 47,468 | 2,792 | 2,994 | -6.7%
VERMONT | 18 | 48,480 | 2,693 | 2,929 | -8.0%
YALE | 14 | 22,359 | 1,597 | 1,306 | 22.3%
HARVARD | 11 | 17,055 | 1,550 | 1,511 | 2.6%
HOLY CROSS | 14 | 19,050 | 1,361 | 1,641 | -17.1%
FAIRFIELD | 12 | 16,280 | 1,357 | 1,347 | 0.7%
QUINNIPIAC | 14 | 17,150 | 1,225 | 1,587 | -22.8%
BROWN | 16 | 19,589 | 1,224 | 882 | 38.8%
UMASS-LOWELL | 13 | 15,640 | 1,203 | 1,119 | 7.5%
NORTHEASTERN | 13 | 14,526 | 1,117 | 1,142 | -2.2%
MAINE | 12 | 12,109 | 1,009 | 1,028 | -1.8%
CCSU | 12 | 12,057 | 1,005 | 1,428 | -29.6%
HARTFORD | 14 | 11,894 | 850 | 1,408 | -39.7%
DARTMOUTH | 14 | 11,581 | 827 | 868 | -4.7%
BRYANT | 14 | 10,530 | 752 | 634 | 18.6%
BU | 15 | 11,025 | 735 | 694 | 5.9%
SACRED HEART | 13 | 8,422 | 648 | 442 | 46.6%
UNH | 14 | 5,362 | 383 | 481 | -20.4%
TOTAL | 318 | 823,602 | 2,590 | 2,589 | 0.0%
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Alabama was already without top JUCO James Rojas for the season due to injury. Gary was a four star, top 100 recruit. Tough luck for Nate.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x