GM 2 Football vs Delaware 7pm Saturday Sept 7

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Brian Forster
ARD

Re: GM 2 Football vs Delaware 7pm Saturday Sept 7

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Tough,tough loss in front of huge crowd.
Rhody really had it under control at half.
Different story in 2nd half.
Delaware made adjustments and Rhody was trying to play catch up.
Need to see stats to comment more. Bad taste instead of what should have been a big win.
1 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

That was pretty awesome seeing Meade Stadium so packed. Roughly 8,500 there and it felt like it.

Quick thoughts:

That was a good game, unfortunately it didn't go Rhodys way. Delaware looked like a much more confident team in the 2nd half once they scored on that bomb 66 yard TD pass.

We needed to capitalize on those early turnovers and we really didn't. Kehoe gifts you 3 first half interceptions you need more than just field goals.

Our run game could not really get going. Delawares D-line stopped anything we had between the tackles for the most part.

I thought Vito looked okay. Some good downfield throws to Parker and Coulter especially early and in the 4th quarter. However, his inability to throw in a window consistently hopefully will improve. He's very good at the 50/50 balls and anything quick around 10 yards-in.

Parker is a stud as we know. 200+ receiving. Him and Coulter looked very good over those smaller Delaware DBs. Amere Dorsey also came up huge in the 2nd half. He has become a vital part of the offense and I love it.

Our run defense will also hopefully work on some things during the bye week. 200 yards on the ground for Delaware. They were consistently getting solid yards on the ground.

Kehoe is a good QB. He completely forgot about his 3 INTs and settled in during the 2nd half.

They have some things to fix and work on during the bye week obviously. I think they'll come out strong against UNH on Sept. 21st and get their first win.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Didn't get to watch it.

Really kinda lame they couldn't come away with this.

The Vito, not being able to throw in a tight window thing I'm sure hurt us.

The only reason we aren't able to score more than 22 points in regulation is because of him.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Didn't get to watch it.

The only reason we aren't able to score more than 22 points in regulation is because of him.
Dunno...when first and goal turns into a FG multiple times, I don't think it's 'all' on the QB.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO few things happening in red zone that are limiting us:
-O line isn’t creating any push or windows for Bryant to run inside
-Our QB is not a threat with his feet so outside backers can pinch middle to plug gaps
-Don’t really use our TE which is usually a huge red zone weapon - look at what Delaware did inside the 10 with using TE/FB in pass routes
-The whole stadium knows you are going to try and hit Parker or Coulter on a slant

Our best red zone plays were getting Dorsey or Bryant the ball outside in space. We could have gone in up 21-0 at halftime and that’s a whole different ball game, we didn’t and then that missed FG to start 2nd half seemed to change momentum.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Some spot on analysis here from NYG and big apple here.
Vito is just as good as Kehoe.
Play calling in red zone is harder,but Delaware did not have a issue there.
The offense is just 3 players,Vito,Dorsey and Parker. The o line pass blocks great,could not run whatsoever.
Other skill players never see ball or are just bodies.
Delaware TE was so open in 2nd half,hard to believe.
Delaware had other QB alternate in 2nd half,he was twice as fast as everyone else out there.
UNH looks beatable up there for a change.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

A few observations from my vantage point:

The crowd: was more enthusiastic than any from the prior two years I’ve been attending games. Lots of Rhody chants and Defense chants late. The crowd was so big I was told that students that arrived late in the first quarter were turned away as they had reached capacity. Students were sitting in the aisles near me.

The game: I agree with much of what had been stated. However, I didn’t think Kehoe was all that great. Guys were wide open on most of his completions and I thought he was inaccurate when the window was tighter. He threw away three points with an ill advised throw into coverage in the end zone that was picked off. I thought the other QB (number 14: didn’t get the name) hurt them with his legs. His first down run on 3rd and 15 with about 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter was a killer and may have been the biggest play of the game. Very well could have been a Rhody win in regulation without it.

Parker has FBS level talent. A couple of times when they got stuck, the plan became throw it up to him and let him make a play. They need to get Dorsey the ball more, too. He’s so elusive and never seems to go down on first contact because the defense can’t get a clean shot on him.

Anyone who watched the game on tv: can you tell me who committed the defensive holding penalty on 3rd an 11 in it or double it while Kehoe was being sacked? We were all watching the sack. Speaking of a killer.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Sidd. Was watching the sack also.
The flag seemed to be way late. After QB was down.
Play should have been over or was no need for DB to make penalty.
Pass rush was all over Kehoe.
In the bigger picture,it was symptomatic of the way the entire 2nd half went.
Delaware went up tempo and Rhody was constantly trying to catch up.
It would have been 4th and 15? But who knows how next play would have gone. Delaware made plenty of plays with deck stacked against them.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Big apple is right,after missed FG ,the whole pendulum swung.
It was shocking to see.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Dunno...when first and goal turns into a FG multiple times, I don't think it's 'all' on the QB.
Hopefully my first post didn't make it sound like I was blaming anything on Vito. 25-in we did struggle to start. Not all on QB. Wish we capitalized on those gifts from Kehoe.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

Beautiful night and great crowd and setting. The talent to win is here, but the coaching is not. Thor hopefully knows that 10k or so fans are ready to attend but that 3-9 is not going to sustain them.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyfan3 wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Hopefully my first post didn't make it sound like I was blaming anything on Vito. 25-in we did struggle to start. Not all on QB. Wish we capitalized on those gifts from Kehoe.
There was a huge difference in the way they used their TE...and we did not. If you can't run the ball, and it didn't seem like we could much, but gotta work in the TE enough to mix it up...
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

B. Forster: that did seem like a late flag and a questionable defensive holding call, and I don’t consider myself a homer for any team. Kehoe was under siege and probably couldn’t see any of his receivers. Unless the receiver was taken to the ground, that flag should have stayed in the official’s pocket. That said, I almost never blame an official for a loss. I still go back to that 3rd and 15 scramble for a first down by the other Delaware QB late in the 4th quarter as a pivotal play. If you want to be a winning team, you just can’t let that happen. There were other plays to be made throughout the game. That personal foul penalty after a good gain on that last drive in regulation hurt, too. It almost eliminated the chance for a last minute game winning TD in regulation.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I hope it's not another year of halftime leads disappearing as the other team makes adjustments.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I went to the game. First since 83. Here's my take:
The field looks awesome.
The lights worked great.
The tailgating is really not tailgating.
No beer sales anywhere.
Our marching band is tiny.
The PA, if you can call it that, reminded me of someone on a bullhorn.
My seats were great.
People were into the game for sure.

The place seemed packed to me.

Problem I see is serious deficiencies in $$ spent on this program.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Branyan Javier-Castillo with another solid game including a sack and an interception
Glad to see Fleming move Ahmere Dorsey back to returning Punts and Kickoffs. He had a prolific season last year.
Never understood why he had Pires handling returns vs Ohio. Hopefully Dorsey remains the return guy. Dorsey needs the ball in his hands as much as possible.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Delaware plays at #1 Ranked North Dakota State next weekend
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Branyan Javier-Castillo with another solid game including a sack and an interception
Glad to see Fleming move Ahmere Dorsey back to returning Punts and Kickoffs. He had a prolific season last year.
Never understood why he had Pires handling returns vs Ohio. Hopefully Dorsey remains the return guy. Dorsey needs the ball in his hands as much as possible.
Because Fleming is kinda a fool?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Branyan Javier-Castillo with another solid game including a sack and an interception
Not knowing the rational, it might have been that Pires looked good in practices and also Fleming wanted Dorsey as a full time receiver so maybe he thought it was asking too much for Dorsey to Full time Receive plus run back Punts and Kickoffs

At any rate it was a good decision to move him back to returning punts and kickoffs imho.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

After witnessing the game in person, I feel it will be critical for the coaching staff to help out the offensive and defensive lines. Both units looked smaller than Delaware’s. On defense, the coaches will have to use stunts up front to get to the QB. On offense, they may have to put in misdirection or gadget plays when they get inside the 10. The Rhody lines were just smaller than Delaware’s, a trend that will continue with most of the remaining opponents.
If Perrantes is the dual threat that people stated in the spring, then maybe he should come in to take snaps when Rhody gets inside the 10: maybe inside the 20.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Defense shut out Delaware in 1st half.
They could not do anything.
The D really seems to tense up in 2nd halves??
Anybody else see that??
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Watching the game, it appeared that both Pires and Dorsey were back to return. Ohio, since their coach isn't a fool, chose to attempt to kick it in Pires direction as opposed to Dorsey.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago B. Forster: that did seem like a late flag and a questionable defensive holding call, and I don’t consider myself a homer for any team. Kehoe was under siege and probably couldn’t see any of his receivers. Unless the receiver was taken to the ground, that flag should have stayed in the official’s pocket. That said, I almost never blame an official for a loss. I still go back to that 3rd and 15 scramble for a first down by the other Delaware QB late in the 4th quarter as a pivotal play. If you want to be a winning team, you just can’t let that happen. There were other plays to be made throughout the game. That personal foul penalty after a good gain on that last drive in regulation hurt, too. It almost eliminated the chance for a last minute game winning TD in regulation.
I'd be curious to know what the CB did to earn the flag. The QB basically had no shot to get him the ball as he was under pressure as soon as he received it. It would be interesting to see because I felt that the game was over if that flag doesn't come out.
Another big call I felt like was the Personal Foul against Murphy in the 4th. As the anchor of the line, he has to do better. Was fortunate that it didn't cost us too much as Parker made a spectacular catch to put us back in front.
I agree that that scramble was huge. It was 3rd and long, and they were probably going to take 2 cracks at it with the ball close to the 50 and being down 5.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 4 years ago

Watching the game, it appeared that both Pires and Dorsey were back to return. Ohio, since their coach isn't a fool, chose to attempt to kick it in Pires direction as opposed to Dorsey.
On punts too?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

On punts too?
Did Ohio punt the ball? I can't recall. I'd have to check the box score.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They did not.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

WIsh I could have been there. Seemed like a great night and I love the upgrades to the team entrance and all, but a loss is a loss and this one hurt.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hey either way. We have top 25 talent. We were right there with the now 18th best team and pretty much had them beat most of the night. Winning is hard. Just gotta make winning plays at the end of the game.

Aaron Parker is second in the FCS in receiving yards.

Vito is 4th in the FCS in passing yards.

That also makes Aaron Parker second in all of college football in receiving yards.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The next upgrade needed besides a complete overhaul and expansion of the east stands (mucho dollars) is a new scoreboard with video capability. The current one is pathetic.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Delaware plays at #1 Ranked North Dakota State next weekend
My mistake.....
#1 ranked North Dakota State will be playing AT Delaware next Saturday. What a great coup for Delaware to get the top ranked FCS Program to come to their stadium in Newark.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

What does a top end scoreboard cost?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

On punts too?
Did Ohio punt the ball? I can't recall. I'd have to check the box score.
No they didn’t. My mistake.

Ohio kicked off 4 times and Pires returned all 4.
Against Delaware Dorsey returned all punts and kickoffs.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I would add as a future upgrade a new sound system. That was embarrassing on Saturday night. I was seated in the third row of the east stands and couldn’t hear most of the play summaries and other announcements. The people around me said the same thing. (Maybe those seated higher up could hear.). Then we had to contend with feedback at least a dozen times. It seemed like something you’d encounter at a third rate high school field. It shouldn’t cost that much for this type of upgrade.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago The next upgrade needed besides a complete overhaul and expansion of the east stands (mucho dollars) is a new scoreboard with video capability. The current one is pathetic.
Yeah, quaint as it is...the scoreboard sitch is rather sad-sackish. And, it seemed like it couldn't keep up with down and distance, then I realized...they're probably Morse coding it from the top of the stands to someone sitting inside the scoreboard, and well...wire time + translation and all....
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The new high definition video scoreboard installed at UNH a few years ago cost $1 million. Since the source of funds for its installation was controversial, the story and cost of project was well documented as googling shows. For what it's worth, UNH's old scoreboard was better than what we currently have at Meade. Also, the UNH hockey arena has a better scoreboard than Ryan Center has. But, I agree, on a priority basis, the sound system at Meade is bush league and should be corrected first.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Pitt just squeaked by Delaware this afternoon, 17-14.

I see James Madison is pummeling Elon.
0 x