2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by ramster »

bigpops65 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
bigpops65 wrote: 4 years ago Not sure if this has been brought up, but I heard the Providence game will be Friday "night" Dec 6 at 5pm. Seems quite insane if that is indeed true. Thoughts?
Yes it’s true
If you go back to page 7 you can read the discussion on this Friday night game
Kevin MAC said fans would be lubed up and a lot of discussion followed. It was about 3-4 weeks ago
I remember that talk; I meant to emphasize the 5PM start time, if true. Seems extremely early for a Friday, no?

Well, after all the discussion that was generated about the 5pm start time for the URI PC game initiated by Bigpops65, we learn that the game is at 7pm on ESPN2
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It's amazing how we see right through the cash grab.
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago URI is capped at 30 games. You get 27 games + MTE. They only have 3 tournament games because they couldn’t find a date that worked for both URI and Siena.

How the hell are we limited financially when a year ago we were offering DH $2+ Million a year in comp? WTF is that? So we now can't spend $100k for a buy game since we are getting $500k/yr in NCAAT credits?

Edit.... It's $1 million/yr. We one a game in both tournaments.
The terms of the contract offer mentioned here -- which was made after the 2017-18 season -- would have been implemented after the 2019-20 season.

So, essentially, Dan Hurley would have been forced to wait a full season for any raises or enhancements. They were not immediate. URI did not have the full cash amount on hand. That came on the back of the previous extension where there were also no enhancements offered.

Thorr Bjorn was creative enough to make the pre-UConn offer and willing to spend the next year attempting to raise funds to fulfill the contract. He took a big swing. Had he been able to make a similar offer after the first NCAA appearance, this might have ended differently.

Also, remember this -- a large portion of contracts at URI are paid through gate receipts. When those gate receipts fall short, the money has to come from somewhere. That was why the athletic department partnered with the URI Foundation. It was basically a loan guarantee to protect against short attendance. They were spending on what amounted to a credit card. If they had missed the NCAAs in 2016-17 or 2017-18 -- well, let's not think about that.

As far as how the NCAA credits and buyout are being spent currently -- I'm not sure. And I do plan to ask Thorr about it once the Red Sox season is done and I can turn my full attention back to the beat. But I might suggest that other programs who have made the NCAAs multiple times and would like to do so again have successfully mined other resource streams -- increased attendance, higher ticket prices, more incoming cash from donors, additional development and marketing staff, etc.

Hurley's best and worst quality was one in the same -- he wasn't afraid to be an agitator. He acted like he was bigger than URI and bigger than the job. He leveraged the school every chance he got through his agent, his name, other offers, etc. But it worked quite nicely for all parties. I'm not sure who the lightning rod will be here going forward, but that seems to be what's required.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago
The terms of the contract offer mentioned here -- which was made after the 2017-18 season -- would have been implemented after the 2019-20 season.

So, essentially, Dan Hurley would have been forced to wait a full season for any raises or enhancements. They were not immediate. URI did not have the full cash amount on hand. That came on the back of the previous extension where there were also no enhancements offered.

Thorr Bjorn was creative enough to make the pre-UConn offer and willing to spend the next year attempting to raise funds to fulfill the contract. He took a big swing. Had he been able to make a similar offer after the first NCAA appearance, this might have ended differently.

Also, remember this -- a large portion of contracts at URI are paid through gate receipts. When those gate receipts fall short, the money has to come from somewhere. That was why the athletic department partnered with the URI Foundation. It was basically a loan guarantee to protect against short attendance. They were spending on what amounted to a credit card. If they had missed the NCAAs in 2016-17 or 2017-18 -- well, let's not think about that.

As far as how the NCAA credits and buyout are being spent currently -- I'm not sure. And I do plan to ask Thorr about it once the Red Sox season is done and I can turn my full attention back to the beat. But I might suggest that other programs who have made the NCAAs multiple times and would like to do so again have successfully mined other resource streams -- increased attendance, higher ticket prices, more incoming cash from donors, additional development and marketing staff, etc.

Hurley's best and worst quality was one in the same -- he wasn't afraid to be an agitator. He acted like he was bigger than URI and bigger than the job. He leveraged the school every chance he got through his agent, his name, other offers, etc. But it worked quite nicely for all parties. I'm not sure who the lightning rod will be here going forward, but that seems to be what's required.
Bill, thanks for the insight. The borrowing on future revenue/credit card description could explain why there isn’t the available money we are expecting. It would depend how much short URI was on Dan’s $1.1 million compensation or overall MBB budget his last year. If they were short $400,000 then Cox’s compensation of $700,000 doesn’t free up any money. They did receive $1.25-1.5 from UConn/Dan.

The NCAA Tournament credits earned URI approximately $4.9 million paid over 7 years. Year 1 - $410,000, Years 2-6 $820,000, Year 7 - $410,000. Thorr has publicly said the NCAA money would be allocated to all sports (my understanding was the allocation would be the sport’s % of the overall budget).

It would be great to get an update on the practice facility also. Thorr mentioned at the Cox coaching announcement presser that the plan for the practice facility was still the same. The date that had been publicly mentioned was an opening in the Fall of 2020. That seems highly unlikely now.

Looking forward to the end of the Sox season so we have you back on the Rhody MBB beat.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I would love for the program to spend more and will be really disappointed if they don’t when Cox starts bringing the team to the tournament. That increased money was for Hurley who created the buzz and support for the program that Thor could sell. Now it’s the job of coach cox to create the buzz, which I expect him to do more with results on the court than with his talking about results on the court like Hurley did. Let’s be honest, overall DH record here as a coach was not super awesome but he made you feel like it was and that we were on the brink of greatness. That is what DH did best.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yeah the results weren’t great...we only went a full calendar year without losing an a10 game, won back to back league titles and won 2 games in the NCAA tourney. Beyond that they weren’t anything special.
8 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From Kevin Mac Projo story when Hurley departed.....

His teams won more games (91) over the last four seasons than in any other four-year stretch in program history. He's the only coach in URI history to win the Atlantic 10 regular-season crown and an A-10 tournament title. He's the only URI coach to win games in more than one NCAA Tournament.
In short, he's leaving URI in great shape.

And Hurley took over with the program at a very low point from Baron with morale issues, low attendance, academic issues, discipline issues, just about you name it.
No NCAA Tournament since Harrick in spite of a beautiful new Ryan Center. Hurley delivered on expectations and then some imho.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.provid ... ate=ampart
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I would love for the program to spend more and will be really disappointed if they don’t when Cox starts bringing the team to the tournament. That increased money was for Hurley who created the buzz and support for the program that Thor could sell. Now it’s the job of coach cox to create the buzz, which I expect him to do more with results on the court than with his talking about results on the court like Hurley did. Let’s be honest, overall DH record here as a coach was not super awesome but he made you feel like it was and that we were on the brink of greatness. That is what DH did best.
His record was 113-82, and 105-61 if you take out that first season which was obviously a disaster that had little to do with Hurley as a coach. Sounds pretty good to me. Oh yeah and those back to back tournament appearances were kind of fun to. The buzz was here, it was substantial, and it's already on the verge of being completely wasted if we don't make the tournament this year.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah it wasn't a seamless turn around.

All the fouling and inconsistent offensive play held us back at times.

Other than that. We got a lot of talent, became a family built an identity around one of the best defenses in the country, got high major talent, won two NCAA tournament games.

If Hurley were still here, there would be no doubt we would continue to go to the tournament.

I think the bottom line is this. We know we have enough talent to dance. Or at least we are very sure.

If Cox is a good head coach. We will dance.

If we dont dance would it not be fair to describe him as an average head coach at this point in time?

We already know he is a great recruiter, but this year or maybe next year will tell us if he has the chops to be a good head coach.

I am REALLY DANN EXCITED.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

And imagine if Hass hadn't been playing injured and scored a couple points against Oregon. People forget (or fail to mention maybe) that we were a few seconds and a couple points shy of beating a final four Oregon team with 3 NBA players. I believe DC will keep this wave going, I dont think Hurley would have made more than a 2 game difference early last year, team was too young and inexperienced. But what the heck do I know.
4 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

So are we getting another game? Tired of the BS with these tourney games falling thru. Happens almost every time.

Hurley did a great job anyone thinking otherwise well I just don’t know what to say
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I would love for the program to spend more and will be really disappointed if they don’t when Cox starts bringing the team to the tournament. That increased money was for Hurley who created the buzz and support for the program that Thor could sell. Now it’s the job of coach cox to create the buzz, which I expect him to do more with results on the court than with his talking about results on the court like Hurley did. Let’s be honest, overall DH record here as a coach was not super awesome but he made you feel like it was and that we were on the brink of greatness. That is what DH did best.
His record was 113-82, and 105-61 if you take out that first season which was obviously a disaster that had little to do with Hurley as a coach. Sounds pretty good to me. Oh yeah and those back to back tournament appearances were kind of fun to. The buzz was here, it was substantial, and it's already on the verge of being completely wasted if we don't make the tournament this year.
But, since they will make the tourney this year...not a worry.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Ok - didn’t meant to start a fight about Hurley. He was really good here. I just think it looked even better in comparison to the prior 15 years. His results here would be the low bar for VCU and Dayton but he pumped it up to be a lot more than it was which was great for the program and if he stayed I think he would have been able to build up even more.

Cox needs to get the team back to there and then bring it further. I’m excited to see him do that.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I actually don’t think this is so bad of a take, except that giving this take without context is a little unfair. In a vacuum, two tournament appearances in a six year stint as coach should probably be the very low end of our expectations. But part of the context is that the program hadn’t been to the tournament in 20 years, which you could say only makes what Hurley did here look good by comparison - except that the other part of the context is that beyond the tourney drought the program was a complete dumpster fire on all levels and by all metrics when he took it over. I think we were as high as like 12th in the country at one point during his final year, and it wasn’t built on quicksand: the program Cox inherited was positioned to be competitive on a go-forward basis. That is a Herculean effort, and the more you know and understand the program, the more you know exactly how impressive it all was. I expect better than two bids in six years from Cox, not because I expect him to be better than Hurley but because his job is not nearly as hard as Dan’s was.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago So are we getting another game? Tired of the BS with these tourney games falling thru. Happens almost every time.

Hurley did a great job anyone thinking otherwise well I just don’t know what to say
Hopefully if they get another game, it is not a non D1 opponent (such as they did with Pace in Nov-2014). If they do, it will be just an excuse to have a similar number of home games to past seasons to justify the per game price of upcoming season tickets. I really hope that URI doesn't soak its loyal season ticket holders for a meaningless game. Better to just admit failure by playing a schedule short of the maximum number of games and reducing the package price.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago So are we getting another game? Tired of the BS with these tourney games falling thru. Happens almost every time.

Hopefully if they get another game, it is not a non D1 opponent (such as they did with Pace in Nov-2014). If they do, it will be just an excuse to have a similar number of home games to past seasons to justify the per game price of upcoming season tickets. I really hope that URI doesn't soak its loyal season ticket holders for a meaningless game. Better to just admit failure by playing a schedule short of the maximum number of games and reducing the package price.
They don't seem to really consider the per game price- they charge what they charge then schedule- not the most consumer friendly system.Pay a price you may get more than expected, or less.....
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

They're not going to reduce the price when most people have already paid.
1 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Not sure if this was posted but I just saw that the Maryland game is at 9 PM on FS1.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Prices for URI games (regardless if they add a game) are very reasonable. Look at season ticket prices for other teams.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Go to Fordham's website and select Tickets/Men's Basketball tickets/Ticket Pricing. Classic.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Go to Fordham's website and select Tickets/Men's Basketball tickets/Ticket Pricing. Classic.
Built in discount for smelling chlorine.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Go to Fordham's website and select Tickets/Men's Basketball tickets/Ticket Pricing. Classic.
Let's not pile on Fordham...the bus trip was great and the gym was cool, too.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Let's not pile on Fordham...the bus trip was great and the gym was cool, too.
I was just trying to see there tix prices. But I got a pdf error.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I agree a non-D1 game is not a game at all. I would however be fine with a low-level D1 game. Their schedule is already tough enough that an ego booster game that actually counts would be fine by me. Should give a chance for some of the kids that are not part of the regular rotation some playing time too.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago

I agree a non-D1 game is not a game at all. I would however be fine with a low-level D1 game. Their schedule is already tough enough that an ego booster game that actually counts would be fine by me. Should give a chance for some of the kids that are not part of the regular rotation some playing time too.
I think you will see the added game has a Siena level opponent.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

When do individual tickets go on sale?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

When does our schedule come out?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago When does our schedule come out?
When they finally complete it.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

College Sports Madness is once again doing its top 144 team countdown. Thus far these known URI opponents have made the list:

#58 Providence College - Conference Rank: #7 Big East - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17782
#64 Western Kentucky - Conference Rank: #1 Conference USA - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17768
#101 St Bonaventure Bonnies - Conference Rank: #5 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17652
#143 Saint Louis Billikens - Conference Rank: #6 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17581

URI's Ranking:
#79 Rhode Island - Conference Rank: #4 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17721
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Looks like Rhody will host Manhattan on November 27th.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Looks like Rhody will host Manhattan on November 27th.

Good addition to the schedule. Rhody now with 7 games in November.

Oct 26 Saturday RIC 7pm HOME

Nov 5 Tuesday LIU 7pm HOME
Nov 9 Saturday Maryland TBA AWAY
Nov 15 Friday Alabama TBA HOME
Nov 19 Tuesday Nichols State 7pm HOME - Jamaica Classic
Nov 22 Friday North Texas TBA Montego Bay - Jamaica Classic
Nov 24 Sunday LSU TBA Montego Bay - Jamaica Classic
Nov 27 Wednesday Manhattan TBA HOME

Dec 1 Sunday West Virginia TBA AWAY
Dec 6 Friday Providence TBA HOME
Dec 21 Saturday Western Kentucky TBA HOME
Dec 29 Sunday Middle Tennessee TBA AWAY

Jan 2 Thursday Brown TBA AWAY
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Agreed I like this. May interest the large NY/NJ student population too.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Good game- may be lowest attendance of the season though-night before thanksgiving
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Good game- may be lowest attendance of the season though-night before thanksgiving
Disagree. With kids off from schools, the family 4 packs will be flying off the shelf.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Good game- may be lowest attendance of the season though-night before thanksgiving
Disagree. With kids off from schools, the family 4 packs will be flying off the shelf.
That may be wishful thinking- people are pretty set in their Thanksgiving routines and they don’t include going to URI the night before. It’s the worst travel day of the year and there will be 0 students on campus.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
That may be wishful thinking- people are pretty set in their Thanksgiving routines and they don’t include going to URI the night before. It’s the worst travel day of the year and there will be 0 students on campus.
guess we will see. I like the game and the day/time works well. Also, if we somehow pull off a win against Maryland then we have some action. Heck, depends on how we do in Jamaica too. Sure if we lose all games prior to that one, the turnout will be abysmal. But if we get early season enthusiasm, people will show.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If I recall Manhattan was a regular opponent back in the ‘70s.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If I recall Manhattan was a regular opponent back in the ‘70s.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago If I recall Manhattan was a regular opponent back in the ‘70s.
Plus we have played Manhattan in preseason “secret scrimmages” during recent years
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice addition a game we should win and what’s their RPI been the last few years ???
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think 21-9 (9-3/12-6) with a semifinal trip or better in the A10 tournament against that schedule should be pretty close to a bid.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Darn...we will be traveling that evening. Would have loved to see that game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Manhattan finished last season with a 320 NET Ranking
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Any current student / young alumni most likely will not be attending that game. Thanksgiving Eve is the biggest night out of the year, slim chance they go watch us play a no name opponent.
0 x
Go Rhody
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago If I recall Manhattan was a regular opponent back in the ‘70s.

I remember driving there for a game back when Gonzo was still their coach.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I’m absolutely excited about this schedule, and I have zero complaints about any of the OOC opponents we lined up. It’s a perfect variety.

But as someone who drives from 100 miles away for games, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was disappointed that there are only three Saturday and two Sunday home games on the entire slate. (I’m not counting the RIC exhibition, though I’ll probably go.)

The only other season we played this few weekend games over the last decade, we also had two weekend games at Mohegan Sun.

Here’s the breakdown of weekend home games over the last 10 years, not counting exhibitions:

2019-20: 5 weekend home games (3 Saturday, 2 Sunday)
2018-19: 7 weekend home games (5 Saturday, 2 Sunday) + 1 Sunday game at Mohegan Sun
2017-18: 6 weekend home games (5 Saturday, 1 Sunday)
2016-17: 5 weekend home games (3 Saturday, 2 Sunday) + 1 Saturday / 1 Sunday game at Mohegan Sun
2015-16: 8 weekend home games (7 Saturday, 1 Sunday)
2014-15: 8 weekend home games (6 Saturday, 2 Sunday)
2013-14: 8 weekend home games (6 Saturday, 2 Sunday)
2012-13: 7 weekend home games (6 Saturday, 1 Sunday)
2011-12: 8 weekend home games (5 Saturday, 3 Sunday)
2010-11: 8 weekend home games (6 Saturday, 2 Sunday)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 4 years ago I’m absolutely excited about this schedule, and I have zero complaints about any of the OOC opponents we lined up. It’s a perfect variety.

But as someone who drives from 100 miles away for games, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was disappointed that there are only three Saturday and two Sunday home games on the entire slate. (I’m not counting the RIC exhibition, though I’ll probably go.)

The only other season we played this few weekend games over the last decade, we also had two weekend games at Mohegan Sun.

Here’s the breakdown of weekend home games over the last 10 years, not counting exhibitions:

2018-19: 7 weekend home games (5 Saturday, 2 Sunday) + 1 Sunday game at Mohegan Sun
2016-17: 5 weekend home games (3 Saturday, 2 Sunday) + 1 Saturday / 1 Sunday game at Mohegan Sun
Dude...hats off to you on the 100 mile drive! Season tix? See you there on the 19th?
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 4 years ago I’m absolutely excited about this schedule, and I have zero complaints about any of the OOC opponents we lined up. It’s a perfect variety.

Dude...hats off to you on the 100 mile drive! Season tix? See you there on the 19th?
Season tickets, yes, all the way from Fairfield County CT ... but I usually don't bother making the drive for any of the extracurricular stuff. I hit all the Fri/Sat/Sun games (even though 7:00 Fri games are a pain) and maybe one or two good A-10 weeknight games a year.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Any current student / young alumni most likely will not be attending that game. Thanksgiving Eve is the biggest night out of the year, slim chance they go watch us play a no name opponent.
Amateur night. I would rather be at a basketball game.
1 x