Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Asst. Coach Posting?

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Eek, this article didn't age well.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

It's a step up from getting just John Carroll back, no? It looks to me like we get a two for one and I can't imagine it cost us too much more.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago It's a step up from getting just John Carroll back, no? It looks to me like we get a two for one and I can't imagine it cost us too much more.
John Carroll isn’t recruiting and Austin has no experience on the road. It’s a step back IMHO.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago It's a step up from getting just John Carroll back, no? It looks to me like we get a two for one and I can't imagine it cost us too much more.
John Carroll isn’t recruiting and Austin has no experience on the road. It’s a step back IMHO.
I disagree. There's nothing I saw from John Carroll that excited me about his ability to recruit. Time will tell, but I prefer Austin + John to John only.

I think we could have done a lot better, but I considered John Carroll only as the worst case scenario and think Austin could surprise on the bench and on the road recruiting.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

When Cox put together his first staff, experience was the top criteria.
This year it's how they relate to players.
We'll see if that works better.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I know nothing about Austin, so what do I know. But what happened to the minimum of two years experience? What are his recruiting ties? What players has he developed? We now have three assistants and I don't know if any of them can recruit. We'll see. Hopefully Leggett's connection with Cox will land him, but then what?
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Assessment of Cox' hiring from a coach at a different program: "Two guys who've never been on the floor or on the road."
Hope they prove everyone wrong but quite the gamble.
Yep, this is my concern exactly. I'm pretty sure the best recruit ever brought in by our current assistant coaching staff is Aris Tsourgiannis.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago When Cox put together his first staff, experience was the top criteria.
This year it's how they relate to players.
We'll see if that works better.
We’ll have to see how the recruiting piece comes together, but I’m definitely not against relating to the players if they’ve identified that as a contributing factor to the team going in the tank for the better part of a month last season and teetering on the very very edge of a program-collapsing disaster.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Not every assistant needs to be a top-tier recruiter, either. We'll see how Austin does as a game scout and a guy who may have Cox's ear (although the Arizona-Buffalo game isn't exactly a ringing endorsement).
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

"Yay!" he said sarcastically.

I guess we'll see, but count me among those with reservations, also as one who, right or wrong, believes this whole process has/had bad optics, and this coming from a guy who is an off-season optimist. I know there are tons of details and nuances we, the average fans don't know of or consider, but still not so thrilled about how it all shook out this off-season. I hope I'm 100% wrong and just don't yet see the brilliance in it all. I hope, read your flag folks.
6 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Them retaining John speaks volumes to the respect Cox has for him. He obviously earned his keep. (Despite what we as fans think we know)

Austin has the inside track in regards to being on staff with Arizona. Big time program as we all know.

Hiring the new guys seems to have been about comfortability and relatability. Coaching circles can be cutthroat. Trust is hard to establish let alone maintain. Cox doesn't seem as though as if he intends on letting up on the recruiting trail. It's in his DNA.

I actually see both sides of the coin here.

The inexperience is scary.

However, I like the youth and grit behind these young guys. They want to make a name for themselves as much as we want them to.

We will see.

Cox still has his connections and now we have clean cut guys with no prior affiliations... Could be good... Could be bad, but I'm going to support our boys!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He still has two basketball minds on the bench in Sutton and John Carroll. Give it time people, we will be OK.
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Not liking the Inexperience coupled with no established recruiting contacts/ ties in the northeast... actually anywhere.
Second, this reeks of nepotism. Maybe the kid is good and maybe ... not.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I hope it works out obviously. This is not what Cox had in mind when he started this search. He end up here because URI wouldn’t increase the Assistant salary pool. Cox takes some blame because he misjudged what money it would take to get his preferred candidates. The job posting ststed two years D1 assistant coaching experience including 2 years of recruiting. The hire has neither.

URI, think Small because we do. Do you ever wonder what happened to all the money that was saved between Hurley’s last salary and Cox’s ($400,000 per year) or the NCAA money ($5+ million over 7 years) or the money received from Hurley’s buyout ($1.5 million)?
5 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago He still has two basketball minds on the bench in Sutton and John Carroll. Give it time people, we will be OK.
Idk, we had those basketball minds on the bench last season and we weren’t exactly scheming teams into oblivion. If anything, adding Austin’s basketball mind is the one place I see potential upside with this new staff. He played the game somewhat recently and has been at the side of one of the game’s truly good coaches out in Arizona. The one thing I thought we really needed to add to the staff was a younger basketball mind that will bring a fresh perspective - from that standpoint I actually like bringing Austin in. The concern is obviously the lack of recruiting experience, the lack of regional connections, and maybe being a little too fresh.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I hope it works out obviously. This is not what Cox had in mind when he started this search. He end up here because URI wouldn’t increase the Assistant salary pool. Cox takes some blame because he misjudged what money it would take to get his preferred candidates. The job posting ststed two years D1 assistant coaching experience including 2 years of recruiting. The hire has neither.

URI, think Small because we do. Do you ever wonder what happened to all the money that was saved between Hurley’s last salary and Cox’s ($400,000 per year) or the NCAA money ($5+ million over 7 years) or the money received from Hurley’s buyout ($1.5 million)?
Football turf and lights lol just kidding. Even though it is said that we had private donors for it haha. Just makes zero sense that the budget has increased due to all the above listed factors and have seen little to none improvements in program thus far. Most of which lies directly on the shoulders of Thor. Have we made a program improvement in last 3 years? Other then maybe a couple more charter flights lol.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I hope it works out obviously. This is not what Cox had in mind when he started this search. He end up here because URI wouldn’t increase the Assistant salary pool. Cox takes some blame because he misjudged what money it would take to get his preferred candidates. The job posting ststed two years D1 assistant coaching experience including 2 years of recruiting. The hire has neither.

He misjudged the money? He couldn't exactly go out and poll potential future candidates. He knows what it took to get him here and that's just about all you can base that off off. He got a two for one in the end. Will it work out? Let's all hope so. We want this page of the thread to age well. Lol
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago

Football turf and lights lol just kidding. Even though it is said that we had private donors for it haha. Just makes zero sense that the budget has increased due to all the above listed factors and have seen little to none improvements in program thus far. Most of which lies directly on the shoulders of Thor. Have we made a program improvement in last 3 years? Other then maybe a couple more charter flights lol.
The answer is no (nothing visible or promoted with a release by URI).
This is a part of the ProJo article about Dan’s new contract in 2017:
However, there are no specific program enhancements in the new deal. An increased number of charter flights, an increased salary pool for basketball staff and renovations to basketball offices and the locker room had been staples of previous contract extensions for Hurley. But URI appears to have reached its limit regarding its basketball budget. According to numbers previously released by the U.S. Department of Education, URI ($4.29 million) ranked 94th in spending among all Division I programs in 2015-16. Providence (38th, $7.9 million), Saint Louis (63rd, $6.41 million), VCU (82nd, $5.68 million), Dayton (89th, $5 million) and Richmond (90th, $4.84 million) were among the programs ahead of URI.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago

The answer is no (nothing visible or promoted with a release by URI).
This is a part of the ProJo article about Dan’s new contract in 2017:
However, there are no specific program enhancements in the new deal. An increased number of charter flights, an increased salary pool for basketball staff and renovations to basketball offices and the locker room had been staples of previous contract extensions for Hurley. But URI appears to have reached its limit regarding its basketball budget. According to numbers previously released by the U.S. Department of Education, URI ($4.29 million) ranked 94th in spending among all Division I programs in 2015-16. Providence (38th, $7.9 million), Saint Louis (63rd, $6.41 million), VCU (82nd, $5.68 million), Dayton (89th, $5 million) and Richmond (90th, $4.84 million) were among the programs ahead of URI.
So in reality the budget was used as an excuse to prevent previous program enhancements prior to our success. But once the budget increases occur (due to the success from the several tourney appearances and hurley's departure) they still dont make any sort of program enhancement. And remember the statements Thor made at the start of the cox era. We will allocate the funds in the budget in places that is viewed most important by our head coach. It would be safe to say cox viewed increasing the assistant salary pool this summer as a necessary program enhancement at the minimum. If we cant increase assistant salary pools to attract experienced assistants. How in the world are we ever going to get a dedicated practice facility that has been blown up the fans butts the last few years or any other major enhancement. Frustrating. But if we make the tourney this year I guess non of this will be thought about this time next year.
4 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Is it time for the games to begin yet? Hahah
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I always thought DC needed some version of himself, and while the younger Carroll may fit that mold in another 5-7 years (future HC, up and coming assistant, recruiting pipeline) he isn't there right now. He would have been a very good replacement for Ty, and what he lacks in recruiting relationships he makes up for in Xs and Os and player development. I would have bought that. But to replace John Carroll and Ty with TJ and Austin seems like a step down from a not very high perch to begin with. Time will tell, but just like with Elijah Wood, there is some justification for being concerned.
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Having grown up in RI I can't help but think this may be an example of quid pro quo. URI was in a tough situation with Coach Carroll's health. Could he possibly have been very accommodating regarding his employment status in exchange for his son Austin being hired? I have zero information that corroborates this but I have long seen the general way things in the state of RI get done. The cynic in me therefore always questions things like this.
4 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Posted on GoRhody. Cox has known him quite a while.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CTRamfan wrote: 4 years ago Posted on GoRhody. Cox has known him quite a while.
He coached him at Rutgers.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Do you ever wonder what happened to all the money that was saved between Hurley’s last salary and Cox’s ($400,000 per year) or the NCAA money ($5+ million over 7 years) or the money received from Hurley’s buyout ($1.5 million)?
This is a fantastic question. If we want to be a perennial top team in the A-10, we've got to spend/invest like one. The lack of investment made by the administration since Hurley's departure has been pretty disappointing. I get not investing when you don't have the money, but not investing when we do have the money is inexplicable. We broke ground on the Ryan Center after the Elite 8 run in '98. We should have broken ground on a top practice facility after the most recent two tourney runs and the additional revenue streams they represent (along with increased ticket sales). Perhaps Thor is waiting to see how the Cox era plays out before committing to further investments, but I think that's short-sighted. Doesn't matter who the coach is, having first class facilities would help anyone and also make the job more attractive to another potential head coach in the event they move on from Cox (way too early, just pointing out that any uncertainty about Cox's future should have no bearing on those kinds of long-term investment decisions).

I get that this thread is about assistant coaches, but it's not a good sign. Good luck to the kid, welcome to Rhody.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Saving up for the practice squad?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I always thought DC needed some version of himself, and while the younger Carroll may fit that mold in another 5-7 years (future HC, up and coming assistant, recruiting pipeline) he isn't there right now. He would have been a very good replacement for Ty, and what he lacks in recruiting relationships he makes up for in Xs and Os and player development. I would have bought that. But to replace John Carroll and Ty with TJ and Austin seems like a step down from a not very high perch to begin with. Time will tell, but just like with Elijah Wood, there is some justification for being concerned.
John Carroll is still on staff.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I get that but in his special role that I believe restricts his ability to recruit and interact with players. I am talking about the core 3 assistants of last year (Sutton, Carroll, ty) and now Sutton, TJ and Austin.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think at this stage in the process it’s not a bad hire. He is young and comes from a basketball family give him a chance
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramrod wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Do you ever wonder what happened to all the money that was saved between Hurley’s last salary and Cox’s ($400,000 per year) or the NCAA money ($5+ million over 7 years) or the money received from Hurley’s buyout ($1.5 million)?
This is a fantastic question. If we want to be a perennial top team in the A-10, we've got to spend/invest like one. The lack of investment made by the administration since Hurley's departure has been pretty disappointing. I get not investing when you don't have the money, but not investing when we do have the money is inexplicable. We broke ground on the Ryan Center after the Elite 8 run in '98. We should have broken ground on a top practice facility after the most recent two tourney runs and the additional revenue streams they represent (along with increased ticket sales). Perhaps Thor is waiting to see how the Cox era plays out before committing to further investments, but I think that's short-sighted. Doesn't matter who the coach is, having first class facilities would help anyone and also make the job more attractive to another potential head coach in the event they move on from Cox (way too early, just pointing out that any uncertainty about Cox's future should have no bearing on those kinds of long-term investment decisions).

I get that this thread is about assistant coaches, but it's not a good sign. Good luck to the kid, welcome to Rhody.
I have been asking this question for the last year.

URI has increased revenue from the following sources since the two NCAA seasons:

Increased ticket sales
Increased Sponsorship Revenue
NCAA Tournament Revenue Distribution from the 4 units it earned (paid out over 6 years)
Savings from a lower salary for head coach
Former head coach buyout (exceeds 1M)

The only publicly known increase in spending has been:
6% increase ($25K) in the assistant coaches salary pool

We have not as yet seen any other discernible further operations or capital investment in the program since the last NCAA appearance in 2018. One area it was not spent is for guaranteed buy home games as URI looks to have just one (LIU) this season.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I get that but in his special role that I believe restricts his ability to recruit and interact with players. I am talking about the core 3 assistants of last year (Sutton, Carroll, ty) and now Sutton, TJ and Austin.
Would like to learn more about the special assistant role.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Austin Carroll, son of......sure why not.......makes me think of......only in RI......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I get that but in his special role that I believe restricts his ability to recruit and interact with players. I am talking about the core 3 assistants of last year (Sutton, Carroll, ty) and now Sutton, TJ and Austin.
By NCAA rules you can only have the HC and three others on staff instruct the players during practice (including any one-on-one practice) and recruit. So John Carroll will not be doing any of that.

It hasn’t even been brought up that his current health condition could significantly limit the time he can work. He could also have the health issue like last year (or similar) and not be able to work at all. John Carroll’s impact on this team is a big question mark.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Thought you knew more about NCAA regs, but maybe not. He's an adviser. Can't recruit, can't coach and can't practice. Nice gig if you can get it.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Thought you knew more about NCAA regs, but maybe not. He's an adviser. Can't recruit, can't coach and can't practice. Nice gig if you can get it.
Austin and John get a family salary of $150,000.
0 x
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

Does Cox have any say in running the basketball program or is everything being determined from those above him?
-As mention earlier what has happened to all the extra revenue that was in place when Hurley left. Staff savings, NCAA money etc.
Who is deciding?
-Control of Staff. The handling and timing of Carroll situation.
-Timing of staff vacancies and hirings.
-Staff pay
-facility improvements.

Thorr should really be questioned about what he is doing to the Basketball program.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

raminwarwick wrote: 4 years ago Does Cox have any say in running the basketball program or is everything being determined from those above him?
-As mention earlier what has happened to all the extra revenue that was in place when Hurley left. Staff savings, NCAA money etc.
Who is deciding?
-Control of Staff. The handling and timing of Carroll situation.
-Timing of staff vacancies and hirings.
-Staff pay
-facility improvements.

Thorr should really be questioned about what he is doing to the Basketball program.
There was some payback to the URI Foundation, remember? Dan's last contract was funded partially by the foundation. So that gets taken first. But yes, this seems like we are going backwards.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A lot of questions, but I will give them a chance.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Nope, somewhat oblivious, but thanks. I had no idea.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......tell me it comes with an immediate vested state pension, and we gots a full Rhode Island.....I guess I am not to hot on the hiring......but let’s see the product on the floor.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am happy with the staff - people worried about recruiting should not be, Cox is the lead recruiter and will be for the foreseeable future. The trend in coaching is to go younger (look at the NFL). Don’t need older retreads.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I am happy with the staff - people worried about recruiting should not be, Cox is the lead recruiter and will be for the foreseeable future. The trend in coaching is to go younger (look at the NFL). Don’t need older retreads.
Cox has too many other things to do as a head coach. He even said so when he got the job. He doesn't have time to be a lead recruiter. He should be the closer, not the guy on the road doing any leg work.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I'm ok with the kids. You know they will work very hard to make a name for themselves.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There’s are recruiting link to Brewster Academy.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago There’s are recruiting link to Brewster Academy.
YAHT-ZEE!
3 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Quotes here from David Cox and Thorr Bjorn. More will be tweeted out Wednesday morning.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... hoop-staff
3 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago Quotes here from David Cox and Thorr Bjorn. More will be tweeted out Wednesday morning.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... hoop-staff
Good stuff here
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There you go. Rhody didn’t have enough money in the assistant salary pool to hire an experienced assistant (even after saving money by hiring TJ) so they used it to hire an inexperienced person and his father.

From the article
The Journal has learned Carroll is expected to be retained as a special assistant to Cox and will be paid through the $425,000 staff salary pool at his disposal.

Edit:
Salary pool $425,000
Sutton $179,000
Remainder $246,000
Avg for 3 remaining $82,000
Embarrassing
1 x