Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Asst. Coach Posting?

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Austin would be a great hire for video coordinator
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Austin would be a great hire for video coordinator
They need one, and this would make infinitely more sense, especially if he’d like to be closer to home.
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

So if this is true.... after a long search, the hire is the son of the previous assistant coach who may be kept on staff in some capacity. Something tells me there must be quite a story as to how/why it went down this way.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Ugh we're totally going to screw this hire up aren't we...
I’m withholding judgement until we know who is being hired.
Don't you think that's a little bit too reasonable of a take...for a message board? :lol:
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Told Austin Carroll has been in Kingston for awhile.
He has due to his dad’s illness.

Austin was a heck of a shooter.

Coaches don’t higher assistants that make the fan base cozy...they hire the assistant that make them feel cozy. Austin is young, relatable, played D1 basketball and most importantly is HUNGRY to get out there and get after it. He has Arizona on his resume to boot.

Is he the hire I am hoping for? Absolutely not.

Was/Is he’s Cox’s first choice? Highly doubtful.

Is Cox comfortable with him and his ability? I’m almost certain.

Is the deal even done? We all will see soon.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hope whoever gets hired can pull in 4* recruits. That's all.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Hope whoever gets hired can pull in 4* recruits. That's all.
Cox and Sutton can.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Hope whoever gets hired can pull in 4* recruits. That's all.
Cox and Sutton can.
Great. Waiting.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Cox and Sutton can.
Great. Waiting.
Do. Or Don’t...the team will survive.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Cox and Sutton can.
Great. Waiting.
Do. Or Don’t...the team will survive.
The team will always survive. This school isn't going anywhere.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

The father who was not even close to an average assistant had an unfortunate medical situation and held all the cards. Remember this is RI
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago The father who was not even close to an average assistant had an unfortunate medical situation and held all the cards. Remember this is RI
I mean, what an absolutely wild statement. What practices have you been at? What time meetings have you sat in on? What interactions off the floor have you been privy too? Nothing like calling a former NBA Head coach, A-10 Head Coach(Duquesne, and long time Big East and NBA assistant coach below average. Hot take alert!
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Yes he was very successful at every level okay. If you really follow or know the least about prep ball you should understand how the real world works. Again no knock against Austin just reality
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bos8 wrote: 4 years ago
giovanni wrote: 4 years ago The father who was not even close to an average assistant had an unfortunate medical situation and held all the cards. Remember this is RI
I mean, what an absolutely wild statement. What practices have you been at? What time meetings have you sat in on? What interactions off the floor have you been privy too? Nothing like calling a former NBA Head coach, A-10 Head Coach(Duquesne, and long time Big East and NBA assistant coach below average. Hot take alert!
That’s the scary thing about the Internet Bos. Folks perpetuate personal opinions as fact. If Cox brings him back it’s safe to say he’s done a lot more than the casual fan knows.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That’s the scary thing about the Internet Bos. Folks perpetuate personal opinions as fact. If Cox brings him back it’s safe to say he’s done a lot more than the casual fan knows.
Hope the record is as good when he's back, as when he was gone.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Fair enough should never insinuated he was not qualified. He certainly is and a nice man. However recycled coaches that continue to get jobs, which is constant, doesn't make them great. It is a network. Scary thing about internet, you are correct. There are many people that purport themselves to be insiders because they have a casual chat with an assistant aau coach on the sidelines.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Let’s not pretend that in this recent job search John Carroll or Austin Carroll where in Cox’s top two candidates. I am pretty sure they weren’t in his top four.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Let’s not pretend that in this recent job search John Carroll or Austin Carroll where in Cox’s top two candidates. I am pretty sure they weren’t in his top four.
No one is pretending. But you also don’t really know.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Let’s not pretend that in this recent job search John Carroll or Austin Carroll where in Cox’s top two candidates. I am pretty sure they weren’t in his top four.
No one is pretending. But you also don’t really know.
Gonna be interesting if the son of a former assistant is hired who no one knows.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't understand what the holdup is on some kind of announcement, no matter who it is.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

What a fiasco this whole search has been. I’m out on a head coach in his 2nd year having two young assistants in their 20’s.

Let’s pump the brakes on Sutton reeling in four star recruits. His only recruit lasted one minute of one game. Oof.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

STC wrote: 4 years ago What a fiasco this whole search has been. I’m out on a head coach in his 2nd year having two young assistants in their 20’s.

Let’s pump the brakes on Sutton reeling in four star recruits. His only recruit lasted one minute of one game. Oof.
I was going to ask who Sutton has recruited. The Greek kid is the only one I can think of.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Being fair to Sutton he has been here one year and Boswell was full time on recruiting. Sutton was focused on player development, scout and in game coaching. His experience is player development.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Being fair to Sutton he has been here one year and Boswell was full time on recruiting. Sutton was focused on player development, scout and in game coaching. His experience is player development.
Sutton reeled in some kids while at other destinations. Only a matter of time.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Also, Cox and Thorr are accountable for the assistant coach hirings. Thorr controls the size of the assistant coach salary pool and resolving the legal situation with Carroll.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Being fair to Sutton he has been here one year and Boswell was full time on recruiting. Sutton was focused on player development, scout and in game coaching. His experience is player development.
That great and all, but who the hell is recruiting for us? Where are the ties? Where are the high recruits coming from?
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Told Austin Carroll has been in Kingston for awhile.

Coaches don’t higher assistants that make the fan base cozy...they hire the assistant that make them feel cozy. Austin is young, relatable, played D1 basketball and most importantly is HUNGRY to get out there and get after it. He has Arizona on his resume to boot.

The DC_Rams spin has begun! Sounds like Austin Carroll is our new assistant!
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

That great and all, but who the hell is recruiting for us? Where are the ties? Where are the high recruits coming from?
Sutton, TJ & Cox.
I would rather have Cox hire a recruiter from the DMV than Austin Carroll. Hire an established high school coach from the best league in the country, hire a top prep coach or a top AAU guy.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

The DC_Rams spin has begun! Sounds like Austin Carroll is our new assistant!
Spin?

My tune has always been the same.

I don’t want the Carroll’s here based off the same disjointed/uninformed perception the rest of you have.

But what other choice to I have but to support it? Bitchin’ and moanin’ about it on this message board will not help me sleep any better.

NCAA or bust right?!

Let’s f’n GO!
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Do we have a video coordinator job open also or just an Assistant coach ???
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I like the keaney blue kool-aid and I get what DC is saying, but c'mon man! really? What a debacle.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 4 years ago Do we have a video coordinator job open also or just an Assistant coach ???
Both
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Worrying about a video coordinator is the equivalent of the proverbial deck chairs on the Titanic. There are more important staff decisions about which to be concerned. This is what most members of this board including myself often fail to remember when the topic of assistant coaches comes to light; which here is every 7 minutes. Head coaches and managers are inherently paranoid. They want assistants and the fan base to be loyal to them before all others. Unless the potential candidate played for them, the last person they want is someone who identifies with the fan base. Therefore, as much as we would like to see Kenny Green, Tyson Wheeler, Silk Owens and Bob Walsh, it's not happening. If the season were to have a few bumps in the road as it often does, there is always the fear that the fans express their displeasure with the HC and the paranoia begins. Years ago I suggested to a member of the coaching staff to bring in a Jeff Kent or Michael Anderson (both were living in North Kingston)to work with Jon Clark, Chris Holm and Marcel Momplaisir and was told nicely to mind my own business. So be patient and understand that the person that this coach and every coach that is in a similar position chooses will check all of their boxes and not ours.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I cannot put any energy into worry about some assistant coach.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I cannot put any energy into worry about some assistant coach.
When we start losing recruiting battles, you will.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 4 years ago Worrying about a video coordinator is the equivalent of the proverbial deck chairs on the Titanic. There are more important staff decisions about which to be concerned. This is what most members of this board including myself often fail to remember when the topic of assistant coaches comes to light; which here is every 7 minutes. Head coaches and managers are inherently paranoid. They want assistants and the fan base to be loyal to them before all others. Unless the potential candidate played for them, the last person they want is someone who identifies with the fan base. Therefore, as much as we would like to see Kenny Green, Tyson Wheeler, Silk Owens and Bob Walsh, it's not happening. If the season were to have a few bumps in the road as it often does, there is always the fear that the fans express their displeasure with the HC and the paranoia begins. Years ago I suggested to a member of the coaching staff to bring in a Jeff Kent or Michael Anderson (both were living in North Kingston)to work with Jon Clark, Chris Holm and Marcel Momplaisir and was told nicely to mind my own business. So be patient and understand that the person that this coach and every coach that is in a similar position chooses will check all of their boxes and not ours.
BIN-F’N-GO
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I cannot put any energy into worry about some assistant coach.
Most relationships developed between recruits and head coaches are preferably organic. When a kid commits due to a tie with the assistant coach, there is always an inherent concern the kid will leave when/if things don’t work out, equating to more unwanted stress. When you have to waste time re-recruiting the current roster, it takes away from that pool of energy better spent on new recruits. There is a method to every head coaches madness, and rightfully so. Fan bases are so naive and selfish at times we cant see past (myself included) our own noses.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Most relationships developed between recruits and head coaches are preferably organic. When a kid commits due to a tie with the assistant coach, there is always an inherent concern the kid will leave when/if things don’t work out, equating to more unwanted stress. When you have to waste time re-recruiting the current roster, it takes away from that pool of energy better spent on new recruits. There is a method to every head coaches madness, and rightfully so. Fan bases are so naive and selfish at times we cant see past (myself included) our own noses.
This makes no sense at all. I'm still trying to comprehend what you are saying.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

But it's the assistants are doing all the leg work and building the initial relationship. We know Cox can recruit, but he has plenty of other stuff to do now. Having one assistant who doesn't really recruit and two first year coaches (if that's the case) is a concern.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Start with Cat in the Hat.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

But it's the assistants are doing all the leg work and building the initial relationship. We know Cox can recruit, but he has plenty of other stuff to do now. Having one assistant who doesn't really recruit and two first year coaches (if that's the case) is a concern.
Not all HC’s operate alike.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Gotta love the good Dr.....
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Start with Cat in the Hat.
He knows a lot about that ;-). Watching cat in the hat at this very moment. Lol
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

KINGSTON, R.I. - Rhode Island men's basketball head coach David Cox announced the hiring of Austin Carroll as an assistant coach for the Rams on Tuesday.

Carroll comes to the Rams after spending the last five seasons on the Arizona staff. During the 2018-19 season, he was promoted to assistant coach after serving as the assistant director of operations for the previous two years, and spent two years as a graduate assistant with the program.

"Austin Carroll is a bright basketball mind who I have known for many years," said Cox, who was an assistant coach at Rutgers when Carroll played there. "While he is in the early stages of his career, Austin understands the game inside and out, and he has the ability to relate to players. He brings a lot to the table, and I am excited to add him to our staff."

At Arizona, Carroll oversaw video scouting efforts and was responsible for the organization, breakdown, scouting and presentation of game film. He also handled player edits for individual players' use, created recruiting videos and film for coaches' evaluation. The Massachusetts native also helped oversee the program's progress in the classroom.

During his first five seasons with the Wildcats, Arizona was 135-41 with four NCAA Championship appearances and three Pac-12 tournament titles. Arizona reached the Elite 8 in 2015 and the Sweet 16 in 2017.

Carroll also has international experience, working with Arizona head coach Sean Miller as the video coordinator for Team USA's U-19 team that won the gold medal in the 2015 FIBA World Championships in Greece. Carroll is the son of former Rhode Island assistant coach John Carroll.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I sincerely hope we found ourselves a great up and coming young coach in Carroll, but it's hard to not be a little concerned about the lack of experience on the staff right now. Especially in recruiting.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Assessment of Cox' hiring from a coach at a different program: "Two guys who've never been on the floor or on the road."
Hope they prove everyone wrong but quite the gamble.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It’s a tough look. I wouldn’t be opposed to hiring Austin Carroll if we hadn’t just hired TJ, but to me it seems like they’re a little duplicative of each other and not enough experience between them.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The best you can say is that he has experience in a Top 10 type program. Neither he nor TJ have deep recruiting roots anywhere. Let’s hope they develop them soon.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!