GM 1 Football @ Ohio University 2pm Saturday Aug 31 ESPN+

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: GM 1 Football @ Ohio University 2pm Saturday Aug 31 ESPN+

Unread post by adam914 »

If Vito is our answer at QB this season then we aren't going to be very good I am afraid.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago I thought Vito was mediocre. Very nice TD throw to Coulter but as Bos said, too many throws behind receivers. Parker made him look better than he was.
I had concerns from last year related to Vito’s propensity to throw interceptions. Today Ohio U dropped 3 sure thing interceptions. Things could have been worse that what they were.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I didn't see the game, but they were within the spread against a FCS team, probably should take it.
Time will tell...
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Saw the first half, but couldn't watch the second because of a wedding. I'll watch the replay tonight.

My first half impressions were that we moved the ball pretty well. If we didn't see Perrantes at all it just shows he's not ready because Vito wasn't lighting it up IMO. Lots of missed throws, but an FBS defense can force that.

Nice to see Parker continue to do well against FBS talent.

Rushing defense looked weak to start, and it doesn't look like it got better. 278 on the ground for Ohio. We also have to force at least 1 punt. Ohio 8/11 on 3rd down.

We'll recap this and preview Delaware on this weeks episode of Rhode Talk. Hoping to get an interview in with a Delaware writer to give us some info on the squad.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Yes,it was Vito's fault he led Parker perfectly on the slant pass he dropped that looked like it would have gone for a TD.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

I think somebody commented on Probst's RS Sr. year -won 1 game.

If a lot of the posters on here are right,it is going to be a looong seasn.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

looong season-sorry.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I didn’t see the game, but in checking the stats and reading the game story, it seems like the big takeaway is that Ohio never punted (unless they did once near game end- I last checked the stats halfway through the fourth quarter). I’m assuming the Ohio offensive line was just bigger and quicker than the URI defensive line and just overpowered them. If that is not the case, this will be the biggest problem going forward. Those of you that watched the game, I await your analysis of this.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

They couldn't contain the QB; to me that's on the coaches.Toward the end of the game they gave up some big runs as exhaustion set in. Ginetti and Makszin were handled up front.
DBs continue to play 5-10 yards off receiver. Exception was Campbell who had an excellent game.
O line held a lot as Ohio was quicker
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Brian Forster
ARD

Jim Sidd-maybe.
Ohio QB was great at run,pass,option.
D might have got a little worn down at end of game.
But,they hit hard.
Whatever caused Rhody to lose game,can be fixed or improved upon.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Wow-Iggy was right in before me.
Spot on.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Here are a couple of gems related to Vito:
A. 170 lb. punter was like a deer in the headlights,not only the fumble to a TD,had problems with the placements also.
There are like 6 of them on the roster,time to give someone else a try.

B. center snaps just floated backed there,Vito was constantly arranging laces (causes delay also).
Both Scott and Valley (really good players) had issues with this also.
You may have one bad snap a game,no more than that.

These are old URI FB devils,I can say gave Ohio 10 points.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I also didn’t catch much of the game but was tracking the score and stats throughout. I guess it just feels a bit different watching it, but I don’t get the negativity. It’s great if an FCS school can catch an FBS school sleeping or happen to play one that is really down, but under normal circumstances this is the kind of score you’d expect from a competent and well-coached FBS team against an FCS team. That’s why they pay money to get these games.

I’m not saying people should walk away from yesterday’s game confident we are about to win 8 or 9 games, but I think it’s silly to say this team is heading to one win because they lost by 3 scores on the road to an FBS team. This game infused some cash into the program; that’s really the only valuable take away from it. I’ll feel like I know something about this team after next week.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm not negative at all. Ohio would probably win CAA. But one of the reasons for this game is to identify areas that need work and it did that.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The only fear for this team going forward is QB play and stupid coaching tactics.

Despite all of that, we were still in there competiting pretty well with a team that can win the MAC.

If Jajuan Lawson were in that game, we would've been in there until the end.

Really curious about Perrantes. If he was neck and neck with Vito all summer long then he's bound to have a lot of upside. Could get a lot better as the year goes on.

Gotta give some credit to Vito too!

He has definitely improved since last year. Dont think he would have played that well if he played ohio last year.

Also, Aaron Parker is a beast. All we have to do is throw it to that guy deep and I highly doubt... if the pass is reasonably accurate, that anyone is going to stop him in the FCS.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yes you can basically throw it up to Parker, and I’m sure we will bc he will win 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 matchups. But it would be good to get him the ball in space where he can be explosive too. He def saved or caught some potential INTs.

Defense was too passive against a potential NFL QB. I don’t recall much if any blitzing until the end when we ended up getting a sack. Would have liked to see more of that, really missed LB Mack up front, our front 4 pass rush was non existent. On pos side they didn’t get many chunk plays from anyone besides the QB until later in 2nd half when fatigue set in. That kid Wilder was all over the field in 2nd half. Agree our CBs were giving away too much space.

I think net net on both sides of ball we played it safe. That said, Parker grabs that slant on 1st possession and we safely execute that punt and there is no doubt the score is closer. Was by no means a whiff given Ohio is picked to win the MAC and that QB is likely the best we face all season.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Nobody is more optimistic about this team than I am.
But with the "must' too many men on the field penalty on 1st drive by D (which ended in a TD),you could have turned the game off right then.
I literally started laughing. Has Rhody ever won a game taking this penalty?
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I was listi
Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Nobody is more optimistic about this team than I am.
But with the "must' too many men on the field penalty on 1st drive by D (which ended in a TD),you could have turned the game off right then.
I literally started laughing. Has Rhody ever won a game taking this penalty?
I was listening to the game, so maybe it was more apparent on TV. It did seem like Ohio ran a hurry-up on that play. No excuse, but playing against a legit NFL QB prospect you could see him doing that when he noticed something amiss. Overall I’m not surprised by the outcome. 20 points with a missed TD catch by Parker (who I feel really made up for it by just out competing the Ohio defensive backfield the rest of the day) isn’t that bad of a showing offensively. I was impressed with Parker obviously, but also with Bryant and of course Dorsey needs the ball in his hands as much as possible. Play calling especially during that 2&3rd and goal was terrible they should of just pounded it in there! The overall talent is there, would of liked more out of the defense but they will hopefully get better. Vito was ok, not bad, like some seem to believe. I’m not sure starting a true freshman on the road against a solid program like Ohio would have been a better choice by Fleming. They got out of it with no major injuries, a nice pay check and a sense that they competed with a good team on the road.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'd just like to see what we have in a real game with Perrantes.

From clips I've seen, he can throw as well if not better than Vito. A bit more mobile.

Zoe Bryant could be a force this year.
Hes a strong runner.

Is Naim Jones hurt?
0 x