2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: 2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
The Big East broke up with 7 teams forming a new conference. It has been done. It can be done again.
The problem is there are so many factors that come into play that need to be thought out.

When the C7 left the Big East, they ended up forfeiting over $100 million between their exit fees, name purchase, and conference tournament. The 10 “power” schools would have to figure out if they wanted to pay the roughly $2 million in exit fees, plus anything additional to keep the A10 name and conference tournament locations.

Further, they have to have any idea of what their TV market will be. That revenue can help offset some of those losses, but it’s not super helpful to pay all that to go from making $400-$500K to making $1 million, at least short-term.

It’s popular in FCS, but I believe many conferences have stadium requirements and if those change, I believe they offer a certain time frame teams need to complete those changes, within reason. That, plus minimum required budget expenses, can possibly help politely nudge programs into other conferences, protecting existing assets. I’m not sure if that’s really been tested in basketball and the legality around it.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Looks like Maryland lost a bit of depth today. Tough news for them and Marial, he's had a tough time with injuries.

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Seems like we will know a lot about this team in the second game of the season.
Don’t agree, that’s our most difficult game by a significant margin. Our performance against a Top 10 team on their home court in first week of the season may not tell us much. We could be double digit dogs.
Completely agree. I think we could learn something good in that game, but if it goes the other way it would mean almost nothing. That’s a “house money” game.

I think we would all be satisfied with just competing with them the whole game.

If we are blown out, there shouldn't be any need to overreact.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago

Don’t agree, that’s our most difficult game by a significant margin. Our performance against a Top 10 team on their home court in first week of the season may not tell us much. We could be double digit dogs.
Completely agree. I think we could learn something good in that game, but if it goes the other way it would mean almost nothing. That’s a “house money” game.

I think we would all be satisfied with just competing with them the whole game.

If we are blown out, there shouldn't be any need to overreact.
Bookmark this post for future reference [aka save it for the first doombone post]
4 x
Common sense is not common.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I was just saying we get to see where this team stands against a top 10 team. If they play strong and stay with MD most of the game, that will give great promise. If they get blown out, then it's a wait and see till we play against WV, LSU and others. If they win, they will be the talk of the town.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I was just saying we get to see where this team stands against a top 10 team. If they play strong and stay with MD most of the game, that will give great promise. If they get blown out, then it's a wait and see till we play against WV, LSU and others. If they win, they will be the talk of the town.
Its a big game for URI with several intriguing storylines
  • Jeff Dowtin going up against Anthony Cowan as both Seniors played together at St John's College HS
  • Donta Scott now playing for Maryland - former teammate of Fatts Russell at Imhotep
  • Homecoming of sorts for several URI Players/Coaches
  • Potentially the highest ranked team that URI plays this season
  • Some animosity from the URI - Maryland matchup in Cancun
Maryland Coach: Mark Turgeon
2018-19 record: 23-11
Notable players gone: Bruno Fernando, Ivan Bender
Notable players returning: Anthony Cowan, Jalen Smith, Darryl Morsell, Aaron Wiggins, Serrel Smith, Eric Ayala, Ricky Lindo
Expected additions: Makhi Mitchel, Makhel Mitchell, Donta Scott, Chol Marial, Hakim Hart
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Jalen Smith will be tough to handle.

The Alabama game is the key OOC game to me: gotta protect the home court (although winning that game and losing at Maryland, at West Virginia and both games in Jamaica would not be good ... not expecting this to happen).
The Tide is somewhat of an unknown in the start of the Nate Oats era, but most think he’s a good coach, given what he did at Buffalo. I expect a tough test.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago Jalen Smith will be tough to handle.

The Alabama game is the key OOC game to me: gotta protect the home court (although winning that game and losing at Maryland, at West Virginia and both games in Jamaica would not be good ... not expecting this to happen).
The Tide is somewhat of an unknown in the start of the Nate Oats era, but most think he’s a good coach, given what he did at Buffalo. I expect a tough test.

I expect us to win that one.

They have a new coach. New system.

All that.

We should be able to take care of them on a raucous homecourt.

Would be a huge win going into jamaica.

We would have a lot of momentum and confidence.

Winning that will make it a lot easier for us the rest of the way.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

A win over a P5 school will look good. I’m hoping for a road win at West Virginia or a win in Jamaica against LSU to go with it. It would be a tall order to get both.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

On this week's Rothstein podcast, Turgeon was asked about the expectations this year and being a preseason top-10 team. He responded by saying he thinks they have top-10 talent and will be a top-10 team by the end of the year. Turgeon mentioned cohesion as he has 5 freshmen and 5 sophomores on the roster. I think he is trying to temper expectations early on since he doesn't quite know how everyone will mesh together. Maybe it's a good thing URI faces them so early in the year before they really come together. Even a close loss will improve URI's metrics as I'm assuming most models will have them losing by double-digits.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago On this week's Rothstein podcast, Turgeon was asked about the expectations this year and being a preseason top-10 team. He responded by saying he thinks they have top-10 talent and will be a top-10 team by the end of the year. Turgeon mentioned cohesion as he has 5 freshmen and 5 sophomores on the roster. I think he is trying to temper expectations early on since he doesn't quite know how everyone will mesh together. Maybe it's a good thing URI faces them so early in the year before they really come together. Even a close loss will improve URI's metrics as I'm assuming most models will have them losing by double-digits.
Here is a good article on this year’s team......with some key excerpts below. The comment on Cowan sounds familiar to his former back court running mate at St Johns College HS....

This year’s team returns seven of its eight leading scorers, with all but one being an upperclassman. Jalen Smith showed his ceiling in last year’s NCAA Tournament and will be the go-to option in the post. Aaron Wiggins showed glimpses last year and should be more confident to find his own shot in the offense. The same can be said for Eric Ayala, who showed poise atypical for a freshman. After being more of a defensive stopper the last two seasons, Darryl Morsell looks to be a growing into a two-way player who can shut down the team’s best defensive player and be a force around the rim.

Coming off the bench, Ricky Lindo and Serrel Smith Jr. are expected to make a big leap. Turgeon came into last year planning to redshirt both but was forced to play them to expand the rotation. That experience should pay dividends this year, as they are both proven commodities who should only get better. Incoming freshmen Makhi Mitchell and Donta Scott look like they can contribute right away, which gives the team a potential nine-man rotation from the start. Turgeon has finally built a roster with both future pros and program guys, which is the recipe for success in college basketball for every team not named Duke and Kentucky.

Then there’s the question of which Anthony Cowan shows up. When he’s on, Cowan is the straw that stirs the Terrapins’ drink. But for much of the second half of last season, Cowan struggled, looking uncomfortable splitting time between point guard and playing off-the-ball. Like Trimble in 2015-16, this team will go as far as Cowan takes it.

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-t ... rk-turgeon
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

St Bonaventure released their OOC schedule today. Bonnies will be hard pressed for an at large NCAA bid unless they come close to winning out in the non league portion as their schedule has a D-2 game and lacks high profile opponents.

Ohio
Vermont
@Siena
vs Rutgers (Toronto)
@Canisius
Mercer
vs San Diego (Boca Raton)
vs Florida Atlantic/Illinois-Chicago (Boca Raton)
Hofstra
Gannon (D-2)
Niagara
@Middle Tenn State
@Buffalo

https://gobonnies.sbu.edu/sports/m-bask ... 0829knea8l
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Davidson releases its OOC schedule:

vs Auburn (Annapolis)
@UNC-Charlotte
UNC-Wilmington
Nevada
vs Wake Forest (Charlotte)
vs Marquette (Orlando)
vs USC/Fairfield (Orlando)
vs TBA (Orlando)
@Northeastern
Coppin State
@Loyola-Chicago
@Vanderbilt

https://davidsonwildcats.com/news/2019/ ... 19-20.aspx
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I remember folks talking about it at the time....big big visit...huge. One of the biggest ever.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

I remember folks talking about it at the time....big big visit...huge. One of the biggest ever.
Bigly.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Davidson releases its OOC schedule:

vs Auburn (Annapolis)
@UNC-Charlotte
UNC-Wilmington
Nevada
vs Marquette (Orlando)
vs TBA (Orlando)
@Northeastern
Coppin State
@Loyola-Chicago
@Vanderbilt

That is one heck of a schedule. I bet that is the best non-p5 ooc schedule in the entire country. I am very jealous.

BYU's ooc schedule is pretty close to that in terms of the number of likely q1 and q2 games.

Davidson and BYU might be tied on this issue.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’m a little biased here but IMO our schedule is tougher than Davidsons...Maryland, LSU and PC are better than their 3 toughest foes. Throw in Alabama and Western Kentucky on top of that.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Overall it's close, the top half of our OOC schedule is better, but the bottom half is weaker.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

College Sports Madness is once again doing its top 144 team countdown. Thus far these known URI opponents have made the list:

#64 Western Kentucky - Conference Rank: #1 Conference USA - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17768
#101 St Bonaventure Bonnies - Conference Rank: #5 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17652
#143 Saint Louis Billikens - Conference Rank: #6 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17581

URI's Ranking:
#79 Rhode Island - Conference Rank: #4 Atlantic 10 - https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17721
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

VCU has released its OOC schedule today:

VCU MEN'S BASKETBALL
2019-20 NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV
Nov. 5 ST. FRANCIS (Pa.) TBA
Nov. 8 NORTH TEXAS TBA
Nov. 13 LSU 6 p.m. ESPN2
Nov. 17 ^JACKSONVILLE STATE TBA
Nov. 23 FLORIDA GULF COAST TBA
Nov. 25 ^ALABAMA STATE TBA
Nov. 29 &vs. Purdue 9:30 p.m. CBSSN
Nov. 30 &vs. Florida St./Tennessee 4/7 p.m. CBSSN*
Dec. 7 OLD DOMINION TBA
Dec. 15 MISSOURI STATE TBA
Dec. 18 at Charleston TBA
Dec. 21 at Wichita State TBA
Dec. 29 LOYOLA (Md.) 5 p.m. NBCSN

Home games in CAPS and played at the Stuart C. Siegel Center
All times Eastern Standard Time (EST) and subject to change
^ – Emerald Coast Classic campus game
& - Emerald Coast Classic (Niceville, Fla.)
* - Championship Game broadcast on CBS Sports Network

https://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/mbk ... 0903mhgc6n
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Very good schedule. 3 of the 4 predicted top teams in the league did their part to schedule tough (VCU, Davidson, URI). Dayton is the only one to not put together a schedule that matches their ambitions. In the next tier I would say the same for Bonnies and Duquesne, they scheduled below their potential A10 standings.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Western Kentucky looks to be really good.

Bassey is an NBA player.

They have multiple double digit scorers coming back plus a grand transfer who averaged 18.6 points a game.

They will be about as tough as anybody we play this year.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......great news to sked release......now that the Sox and the beach chairs have been put away.....time to think hoops.....Go Rhody......see some yous at the season ticket holder event 9/19.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I’m a little biased here but IMO our schedule is tougher than Davidsons...Maryland, LSU and PC are better than their 3 toughest foes. Throw in Alabama and Western Kentucky on top of that.
They have 10 likely q1 and q2 ooc games, you guys have 7, that is why I am giving them the edge.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Very good schedule. 3 of the 4 predicted top teams in the league did their part to schedule tough (VCU, Davidson, URI). Dayton is the only one to not put together a schedule that matches their ambitions. In the next tier I would say the same for Bonnies and Duquesne, they scheduled below their potential A10 standings.
I think our schedule is better, VCU only has 4 high level games, we have 5, but they have 6 possible q1 and q2 games, we only have 5.

VCU used to schedule tougher, but part of that is that they are probably having a tough time finding people that will play them, success scares people off to a degree. On the other hand though, them having been consistently good for the last 16 years you would think would lead to a better schedule. This schedule is a bit disappointing if I was a VCU fan.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A10 schedule to be released at 3:00 today.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s the news we want to hear baby !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Davidson releases its OOC schedule:

vs Auburn (Annapolis)
@UNC-Charlotte
UNC-Wilmington
Nevada
vs Marquette (Orlando)
vs TBA (Orlando)
@Northeastern
Coppin State
@Loyola-Chicago
@Vanderbilt

That is one heck of a schedule. I bet that is the best non-p5 ooc schedule in the entire country. I am very jealous.
BYU's ooc schedule is pretty close to that in terms of the number of likely q1 and q2 games.
Davidson and BYU might be tied on this issue.
Agree. Excellent OOC Schedule for Davidson.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago VCU has released its OOC schedule today:

VCU MEN'S BASKETBALL
2019-20 NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV
Nov. 8 NORTH TEXAS TBA
Nov. 13 LSU 6 p.m. ESPN2
Dec. 7 OLD DOMINION TBA

Home games in CAPS and played at the Stuart C. Siegel Center
All times Eastern Standard Time (EST) and subject to change
^ – Emerald Coast Classic campus game
& - Emerald Coast Classic (Niceville, Fla.)
* - Championship Game broadcast on CBS Sports Network

https://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/mbk ... 0903mhgc6n
DATE OPPONENT TIME TV
Nov. 8 NORTH TEXAS TBA
Nov. 13 LSU 6 p.m. ESPN2
Dec. 7 OLD DOMINION TBA

Great Schedule for VCU
Jacksonville State, Alabama State, Purdue and FSU/TENN are 4 games associated with the same Tournament in Niceville Fla.
Getting SEC Powerhouse LSU to come play at VCU's Home Court on Nov 13 is a real coup
Excellent Mid Major Opponents

Love the 31 Game Schedule - the max possible Regular Season Games.
I wish we had 31 games :cry:
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am wonder if all these tweets about national TV A10 games are a little misleading. Is ESPN+ considered “national TV”? The A10 didn’t land a new national TV deal - so what is it?

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I assumed they mean a combination of games on ESPN (TV), CBS Sports and NBC Sports. In this Fordham tweet they specifically mention ESPN+ separately.

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

EC8E44E8-E86A-4928-8553-FAD78E5D3007.png
Attachments
EC8E44E8-E86A-4928-8553-FAD78E5D3007.png
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I am wonder if all these tweets about national TV A10 games are a little misleading. Is ESPN+ considered “national TV”? The A10 didn’t land a new national TV deal - so what is it?

ESPN+ works great for me. Enjoyed watching URI vs Ohio University just this past Saturday.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

The schedule at the bottom clarifys that start time for Providence is Friday but at 7pm not 5pm. Like some speculated before.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So every conference game will be on either regular TV or ESPN+, which is essentially the same thing. The Stadium games may be tough for some people to find but I think they stream for free to IIRC.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PC on a Friday on ESPN2. That'll be an electric atmosphere at the Ryan!
1 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Comments from David Cox and an update on a potential 31st game, which would be played at the Ryan Center. Also a full listing of the dates, networks and (known) times of all A10 games.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... i-schedule
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think Bill has this wrong. If there isn’t another home game as part of the Jamaica Classic, the additional game to be finalized in the article would be their 30th game.

From the article:
The Rams are also attempting to add a 31st game to replace a cancelled home matchup with Siena as part of the Jamaica Classic. URI was originally guaranteed four games as part of the November tournament but will now play two on a neutral floor and one at the Ryan Center. The Rams have an agreement in principle with a potential opponent and were on the verge of finalizing a last home game as of late Wednesday.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How bad does VCU wanna beat the Keaney Blue Rams?? lol. THIS is a season to get a package/season tickets. Holy smokes.
1 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Why does it always seem URI is the team that gets screwed with these tournaments? Two years ago, URI was the only one of the four top seeds not to get two home games in the Preseason NIT. It was given the choice of a non D1 bible school from Indiana or no game at all. It went with no game. Is the Jamaica Classic guaranteeing two home games for N Texas and Utah State? What is going on with the other tournament teams NC A&T, UMBC, and Eastern Michigan that they somehow don't have to play two road games versus the top four?

If URI does not get a tournament home game, it would be TWO games short of the maximum allowed.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI is capped at 30 games. You get 27 games + MTE. They only have 3 tournament games because they couldn’t find a date that worked for both URI and Siena.

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago URI is capped at 30 games. You get 27 games + MTE. They only have 3 tournament games because they couldn’t find a date that worked for both URI and Siena.

I generally agree with Bill that just putting Central Connecticut or something on the schedule in order to max out the number of games is not desirable. However, the notable thing here is that we are “limited financially.” I’d like to hear from Bill whether that is an assumption on his part based on years of covering the team or if he’s talked to Cox, Thorr or someone else in a position to know and has had that told to him explicitly. It seems hard to believe that we could be in a situation where paying the going rate for a low major buy game would be prohibitive. As RF1 and others have been harping on, this program has had a big infusion of cash AND a seemingly substantial reduction of expenses over the last several years without any apparent new investments. If it is true that the schedule has not been filled (a thing I normally don’t actually care that much about) because we couldn’t afford to pay low major to come here, that is a major red flag for me about how this program is being managed - not because of the game itself but because of what that says about where we are at overall.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago URI is capped at 30 games. You get 27 games + MTE. They only have 3 tournament games because they couldn’t find a date that worked for both URI and Siena.

How the hell are we limited financially when a year ago we were offering DH $2+ Million a year in comp? WTF is that? So we now can't spend $100k for a buy game since we are getting $500k/yr in NCAAT credits?

Edit.... It's $1 million/yr. We one a game in both tournaments.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody can’t have a 31st game. The maximum games outside of the early season tournament is 27 and they are scheduling 27 games. They only have 3 games in the Jamaican Classic. If they had a 4th game in the tournament (Siena), they would have 31 games. I don’t think the Siena game would’ve cost URI money. I am not sure what Bill means with the “limited financially” comment because URI is adding their last possible OOC game.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Nothing burns me more than the "limited financial" capabilities of URI. Like our governor who wants free tuition to help alleviate student loans. If the state of ri just funded the school, which it is mandated to, the cost of in state tuition would be dramatically less. But reducing student tuition by 50% for all doesn't sound as good as "free tuition". URI is basically a public private University. We use the govt for low cost loans to fund projects. Other than that, the state does nothing for the school.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Rhody can’t have a 31st game. The maximum games outside of the early season tournament is 27 and they are scheduling 27 games. They only have 3 games in the Jamaican Classic. If they had a 4th game in the tournament (Siena), they would have 31 games. I don’t think the Siena game would’ve cost URI money. I am not sure what Bill means with the “limited financially” comment because URI is adding their last possible OOC game.

Some of these tourney's designate games versus a team that is not one of the "full" participants as being a MTE game (the only game this team plays). I believe that Seton Hall had such a home game two seasons ago in the preseason NIT. My hunch is that the host team has to pay something for this to happen. Seton Hall did two years ago and URI did not. That might be what Bill is referring to for this season.
0 x