2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Re: 2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Puck Frovidence wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Duquesne, which will not have Palumbo available to them this year due to a renovation, released yet another very weak schedule. This follows a long trend for the Pittsburgh school. The Dukes will not play a single true road game on an opponent's home court. They will however play seven games on neutral courts outside metro Pittsburgh. Their five home games will be split with one game at PPG Paints Arena (a block away from its campus) and four games at the Kerr Fitness Center (capacity 1,000) on the campus of DIII member LaRoche University.

DUQUESNE OOC SCHEDULE
Princeton
Lamar
Lipscomb
vs Indiana State
vs Air Force
vs Loyola Marymount
VMI
Columbia
vs Radford
vs UAB
vs Austin Peay
vs Marshall
Wow...this is...wow.
by the way, the game vs Radford is at a HS in Akron...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/auMOojEufR4/maxresdefault.jpg

Hope that image link works
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Duquesne, which will not have Palumbo available to them this year due to a renovation, released yet another very weak schedule. This follows a long trend for the Pittsburgh school. The Dukes will not play a single true road game on an opponent's home court. They will however play seven games on neutral courts outside metro Pittsburgh. Their five home games will be split with one game at PPG Paints Arena (a block away from its campus) and four games at the Kerr Fitness Center (capacity 1,000) on the campus of DIII member LaRoche University.

DUQUESNE OOC SCHEDULE
Princeton
Lamar
Lipscomb
vs Indiana State
vs Air Force
vs Loyola Marymount
VMI
Columbia
vs Radford
vs UAB
vs Austin Peay
vs Marshall
This is why this conference can’t have good things. This schedule should not be condoned by the A10.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

They aren't even playing Pitt!

Wow.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

At some point, the top 10 teams need to break away and form a new conference. Only way to survive.

Although looking at the league I would say 8 teams based on arenas. Add two more after
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago At some point, the top 10 teams need to break away and form a new conference. Only way to survive.

Although looking at the league I would say 8 teams based on arenas. Add two more after
It’s not a basketball ball only conference. There are too many sports involved for men and women.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago At some point, the top 10 teams need to break away and form a new conference. Only way to survive.

It’s not a basketball ball only conference. There are too many sports involved for men and women.
Never seen a conference drop one team, never mind the bottom 4. I’d say the higher percentage move would be for URI to leave the A10 for greener pastures than for the A10 to drop even one team. Maybe await some type of conference realignment. We also need to improve many of out other sports for both men and women. We are at the bottom or near the bottom in quite a few sports.

But the University is improving by wide margins. Preparing for the leap to another opportunity should always be the plan. We need a Practice Center to keep up with the Jones’
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the Gorhody site game schedule....

Oct 26 Saturday RIC 7pm HOME

Nov 5 Tuesday LIU 7pm HOME
Nov 9 Saturday Maryland TBA AWAY
Nov 15 Friday Alabama TBA HOME
Nov 19 Tuesday Nichols State 7pm HOME - Jamaica Classic
Nov 22 Friday North Texas TBA Montego Bay - Jamaica Classic
Nov 24 Sunday LSU TBA Montego Bay - Jamaica Classic

Dec 1 Sunday West Virginia TBA AWAY
Dec 6 Friday Providence TBA HOME
Dec 21 Saturday Western Kentucky TBA HOME
Dec 29 Sunday Middle Tennessee TBA AWAY

Jan 2 Thursday Brown TBA AWAY

Still to be added is a home game from the Jamaica Classic

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 0/schedule
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Never seen a conference drop one team, never mind the bottom 4. I’d say the higher percentage move would be for URI to leave the A10 for greener pastures than for the A10 to drop even one team. Maybe await some type of conference realignment. We also need to improve many of out other sports for both men and women. We are at the bottom or near the bottom in quite a few sports.

But the University is improving by wide margins. Preparing for the leap to another opportunity should always be the plan. We need a Practice Center to keep up with the Jones’
The Big East broke up with 7 teams forming a new conference. It has been done. It can be done again.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The A10 is a basketball only Conference. It has no Football.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

You sure about that?
0 x
Common sense is not common.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams12 wrote: 4 years ago

You sure about that?
Pretty sure the A10 has no Football.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Big East broke up with 7 teams forming a new conference. It has been done. It can be done again.
That was to divide FBS Football Driven Teams apart from Schools without FBS Football.

You can continue to talk about jettisoning Fordham, LaSalle, Duquesne, etc from the A10 as has been done here for the last 10 years but the odds of that happening are worse than the million to one in Dumb and Dumber. Better that URI seek to leave the A10 than to yearn for the day Bernadette McGlade and the A10 Conference AD’s tell The bottom 4 Universities to take a hike.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

You sure about that?
Other sports exist other than football and basketball
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You sure about that?
????
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That was to divide FBS Football Driven Teams apart from Schools without FBS Football.

You can continue to talk about jettisoning Fordham, LaSalle, Duquesne, etc from the A10 as has been done here for the last 10 years but the odds of that happening are worse than the million to one in Dumb and Dumber. Better that URI seek to leave the A10 than to yearn for the day Bernadette McGlade and the A10 Conference AD’s tell The bottom 4 Universities to take a hike.
I tend to agree with you about the odds of the good basketball schools separating from the bad ones, but the explanation that you give here doesn’t make sense to me. Yes, the BE split over business and culture differences between the football and basketball schools. I assume your point is that since the A10 doesn’t have FBS football programs that reason for a split doesn’t exist, but that seems like a distinction without a difference to me.

The good basketball schools in the A10 (i.e., the ones that are willing to invest in having a competitive program and have put competitive teams on the floor at least semi-regularly) would be better off breaking away from the schools in the conference that are dragging them down competitively and financially. At bottom, A10 teams have very similar business and cultural reasons to split with the basketball schools in their conference as the BE teams had to split with the football-centric schools in theirs.

Like I said, I agree with you on the odds. It’s never going to happen. But the reason it won’t happen isn’t because it doesn’t make sense for the real basketball schools in the conference. The reason it won’t happen is because the conference leadership severely lacks vision, boldness and guts.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

I tend to agree with you about the odds of the good basketball schools separating from the bad ones, but the explanation that you give here doesn’t make sense to me. Yes, the BE split over business and culture differences between the football and basketball schools. I assume your point is that since the A10 doesn’t have FBS football programs that reason for a split doesn’t exist, but that seems like a distinction without a difference to me.

The good basketball schools in the A10 (i.e., the ones that are willing to invest in having a competitive program and have put competitive teams on the floor at least semi-regularly) would be better off breaking away from the schools in the conference that are dragging them down competitively and financially. At bottom, A10 teams have very similar business and cultural reasons to split with the basketball schools in their conference as the BE teams had to split with the football-centric schools in theirs.

Like I said, I agree with you on the odds. It’s never going to happen. But the reason it won’t happen isn’t because it doesn’t make sense for the real basketball schools in the conference. The reason it won’t happen is because the conference leadership severely lacks vision, boldness and guts.
At some point, the schools should get together and force it, because the Conference really has no say.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Well, the schools pick the conference leadership. I don’t think the leadership at the individual member schools have any more vision than the people they’ve installed in the league office.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Well, the schools pick the conference leadership. I don’t think the leadership at the individual member schools have any more vision than the people they’ve installed in the league office.
Agree TP. But the landscape is changing drastically. I think it would be wise for the strong teams, dedicated to basketball, to form their own league. And soon. But maybe your right and the schools have no leadership to realize the dollars associated with a bid to the tourney. Maybe they are too busy spending that money, not realizing where it came from.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

????
I don’t understand what you’re confused about. Baseball, track and field, soccer, softball, etc
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

????
I don’t understand what you’re confused about. Baseball, track and field, soccer, softball, etc
Cross country, football, tennis, rowing,
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Idk - if you are Dayton or VCU and making the tourney 3/4 of the time do you care that Fordham sucks? You will never be a blue blood team, be careful what you wish for, you may wind up completely irrelevant.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Should any of those sports wag the dog as far as what happens with the only revenue sport that any of these schools play?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Idk - if you are Dayton or VCU and making the tourney 3/4 of the time do you care that Fordham sucks? You will never be a blue blood team, be careful what you wish for, you may wind up completely irrelevant.
Davidson as well. Along with Dayton and VCU the NCAA invites just seem to keep coming.

Once those bottom 4 teams, I assume Fordham, LaSalle, Duquesne and ??? (Not sure who your 4th team is) are gone as some wish then there will still be 4 bottom teams.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Idk - if you are Dayton or VCU and making the tourney 3/4 of the time do you care that Fordham sucks? You will never be a blue blood team, be careful what you wish for, you may wind up completely irrelevant.
We would welcome getting rid of the bottom 4, no doubt about it.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

...then there will still be 4 bottom teams.
Not necessarily, the bottom 4 in the Big East have not been constant, there has been yearly turnover at the bottom other than DePaul, 9 of the 10 teams have done well. And even DePaul is showing signs of life now.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Maybe drop 3 and add 3 good teams from other conferences. Maybe drop Fordham, LaSalle, and Duquesne and add Vermont, Belmont, and Murray State.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago Maybe drop 3 and add 3 good teams from other conferences. Maybe drop Fordham, LaSalle, and Duquesne and add Vermont, Belmont, and Murray State.
LaSalle could bounce back with Ashley Howard as their coach. They have an excellent recruiting area in Philly.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

LaSalle is on the right track and will be fine once Howard gets his guys in.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Lasalle doesn’t have the facilities or infrastructure to be consistently competitive in the A10. They also don’t have the resources or desire to change that. They are a notch above Fordham in terms of value to the league, even with 1 magical season in the last 30. Them and Fordham both belong in a like minded league with schools like Bucknell, Holy Cross, Lehigh such as the Patriot.
4 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Lasalle doesn’t have the facilities or infrastructure to be consistently competitive in the A10. They also don’t have the resources or desire to change that. They are a notch above Fordham in terms of value to the league, even with 1 magical season in the last 30. Them and Fordham both belong in a like minded league with schools like Bucknell, Holy Cross, Lehigh such as the Patriot.
Fordham, LaSalle and Duquesne would have a difficult time being consistently competitive in the MAAC. They don't belong in the A10.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago Maybe drop 3 and add 3 good teams from other conferences. Maybe drop Fordham, LaSalle, and Duquesne and add Vermont, Belmont, and Murray State.
Where would Fordham, LaSalle and Duquesne go? Does the A10 just cut them, kick them out and they find a new place on their own?
Conferences have penalties if schools leave, such as when UConn just left the AAC. Does the A10 have to pay these 3 schools to leave?
Suggest you send idea to Bernadette McGlade who is the head of the A10. She would need to be on board of course.

This subject has been a frequent one on this Board over at least the last 10 years. Needs to be brought up to those who can do something about it.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I always like these notions on which teams to drop and why, I like better the teams to add and why......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Same with me. It all comes down to finishing at the Top of the A10 - Getting one of the Top 4 Byes and finishing strong in the A10 Tournament

Wasn't long ago URI was one of the bottom 4 teams, it not the very bottom.

The bottom 4 teams are not he reason URI is not making the NCAA Tournament

The subject of dropping the bottom Fordham type teams has been discussed for 10+ years here. It has not happened yet and odds are it never happens. But it keeps coming up. Best to send the suggestions to the A10 Director - not doing any good arguing it here.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago From the Gorhody site game schedule....

Two (MTSU and Brown) of URI's four true road games will be during semester break which will mean few students and far less home court advantage.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago From the Gorhody site game schedule....

Two (MTSU and Brown) of URI's four true road games will be during semester break which will mean few students and far less home court advantage.

We always take home court advantage in the pizzatola center anyways.

MTSU probably wont be good, so we are just gonna have to deal with an empty gym.

Unless we are ranked...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago We always take home court advantage in the pizzatola center anyways.
Probably will be even more so this season given the date. Rhody hasn't played there since 2015.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago We always take home court advantage in the pizzatola center anyways.
Probably will be even more so this season given the date. Rhody hasn't played there since 2015.
Seems like @ Brown is always during break. It’s always loaded with URI fans, like a URI home game, and still not even sold out. This year should be no different - just like a URI home game.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seems like @ Brown is always during break. It’s always loaded with URI fans, like a URI home game, and still not even sold out. This year should be no different - just like a URI home game.
Wasn't the last time they were there...the night they had only 7 or 8 that could play and the juice was unloosed? I thought that one was a sellout.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Wasn't the last time they were there...the night they had only 7 or 8 that could play and the juice was unloosed? I thought that one was a sellout.
Tortilla Flats for a pregame?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Tortilla Flats for a pregame?
Can't recall where we pre-gamed...think I had a burger and a beer...but that doesn't mean it wasn't a Mexican place
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

That 2016 team annihilated us in Cancun.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

I remember when Hurley and Turgeon went at it

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/ma ... nds-hurley
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Seems like we will know a lot about this team in the second game of the season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago

They were bringing free beer and free other drinks to people in the stands throughout the games. Many spectators were wasted, especially the many Maryland fans who made the trip. Made everyone louder than normal and some got obnoxious especially when the Hurley Turgeon thing broke out.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

They were bringing free beer and free other drinks to people in the stands throughout the games. Many spectators were wasted, especially the many Maryland fans who made the trip. Made everyone louder than normal and some got obnoxious especially when the Hurley Turgeon thing broke out.

I would have yelled at Turgeon too if I were there. That was not a good day.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But I did love the fire that Hurley displayed. Regardless of whether Hurley said anything or not, or whether Hurley was right or not, it showed his competitiveness, his fire, his temper. I loved it. That is what makes Dan Hurley such a good Head Coach and leader. He takes no crap from anyone - and his players respond that.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

But I did love the fire that Hurley displayed. Regardless of whether Hurley said anything or not, or whether Hurley was right or not, it showed his competitiveness, his fire, his temper. I loved it. That is what makes Dan Hurley such a good Head Coach and leader. He takes no crap from anyone - and his players respond that.

That was my FAVORITE part about the guy. We needed that fire. That fire brought us out the Baron rubble. Honest guy. Just so real all the time. Funny.

Sucked that he would rather coach UConn and continue a great program instead of make the Gonzaga of the east. Dont see how the former is more ambitious as a coach, but oh well. Cant hate him! If you do then I think you're just a vindictive fool.

But also.... if your hatred for uconn goes way back. I can understand that. If he left for UMass. I would definitely express some hatred.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Seems like we will know a lot about this team in the second game of the season.
Don’t agree, that’s our most difficult game by a significant margin. Our performance against a Top 10 team on their home court in first week of the season may not tell us much. We could be double digit dogs.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Seems like we will know a lot about this team in the second game of the season.
Don’t agree, that’s our most difficult game by a significant margin. Our performance against a Top 10 team on their home court in first week of the season may not tell us much. We could be double digit dogs.
Completely agree. I think we could learn something good in that game, but if it goes the other way it would mean almost nothing. That’s a “house money” game.
2 x