CSM Top 144 Ranking

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

CSM Top 144 Ranking

Unread post by Obadiah »

College Sports Madness (CSM) has begun their daily countdown from #144 to their predicted best team in the land, which they will reveal on season's opening in November. The first team announced at #144 was Georgia Southern and they are now down to #86 - Northern Iowa. So far the only A-10 teams announced are St. Louis at #143, a projected 6th A-10 finish and the Bonnies at #101, a projected 5th place A-10 finish. None of our OOC opponents have made the rankings yet.

For those interested in following the day-by-day announcements here is the link:

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/me ... 4-previews
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: CSM Top 144 Ranking

Unread post by RF1 »

I have been following this for the last few weeks. Not always the most accurate predictions each season but it is always fun to speculate. They are currently at #85. It would appear that every team from here on out is either expected to make either the NCAA (either as automatic bid or at large) or NIT. Three NIT at large teams named thus far in #89 Minnesota, #87 Oregon State, and #85 La Tech.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

They rank URI at #79. Predict a 4th place A-10 finish and NIT bid.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17721

With all of this experience returning, Rhode Island will take a big step forward this season. If all goes well, that jump could push them towards a spot in the NCAA Tournament.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

understandable. Could have seen us anywhere from 60-80. We will start the season on the outside looking in with 13-14 chances for resume building wins. Big year in kingston! Go Rhody
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'd say that's about as fair as you can be for us.

Probably more likely to be an NIT team, but we have NCAA potential.

Can we cash in on enough of those Q1 games.

Last years team beat VCU, but other than that, we were not very close to being an NCAA team.

How long of a leash do we give Cox if we dont make it next year?
1 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I figured they would only have 2-3 teams from the A-10 as NCAA teams and the popular picks are VCU, Davidson and Dayton.... fair assessment. They didn’t lose anyone of consequence, but the biggest factors are do the new comers contribute enough this season to add quality depth and do Harris (especially) and Martin improve on last seasons performance? Two huge questions! A lesser question is does Fatts slow it down at times and realize if he’s not having a good shooting night and make the adjustments to get others involved and look more towards the dribble drive penetration. URI has two “very” potential A-10 first teamer’s and they have lots of shots at resume building wins, they don’t have to win all of them but like the old Temple A-10 teams they must win a couple and win 13-15 in the A-10 to have a strong shot at the Big Dance. In the end, I think they dance this season as at-large bid and end up as a 9-12 seed.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Peter, a bit early to put DC on the hot seat, doncha think? I think they have a decent shot at the NCAAs but a significant injury to Jeff or Cyril could dash those real quick.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I'd say that's about as fair as you can be for us.

Probably more likely to be an NIT team, but we have NCAA potential.

Can we cash in on enough of those Q1 games.

Last years team beat VCU, but other than that, we were not very close to being an NCAA team.

How long of a leash do we give Cox if we dont make it next year?
Unreal... In just his 2nd year as our head coach it's "how long of a leash do we give Cox..."

C'mon man.
Last edited by reckless jake 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago Peter, a bit early to put DC on the hot seat, doncha think? I think they have a decent shot at the NCAAs but a significant injury to Jeff or Cyril could dash those real quick.

I'm just wondering. If we dont make it next year when everyone is healthy. How many seasons (chances) does he get?
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

As many as it takes.///////maybe like his predecessor........
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Can’t predict injures, but none of the top 3 have a history of them, so that’s a good sign. As far a Cox goes it’s when he truly starts to build his own team with his own recruits is when I start to judge. I’m not talking about the guys he brought in when Hurley was coach granted it heals something to do with him but it had more to do with who was the head coach.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We shall see, but if we don't dance this year it's gonna leave a black eye.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago We shall see, but if we don't dance this year it's gonna leave a black eye.
A black eye. That’s ridiculous. None of the experts have URI making the NCAA Tournament and you have a miss as a black eye.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I see shepards outside shooting that would open things up for slashing being the key to a bid
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago We shall see, but if we don't dance this year it's gonna leave a black eye.
A black eye. That’s ridiculous. None of the experts have URI making the NCAA Tournament and you have a miss as a black eye.
Well year two, taking over Hurley's team with all the recruits, the number one recruiting class in the A10, and not making the dance year two? Hmmm. So how many 4* recruits are signing this year to send us to the dance going forward?
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

To me, Harris is the wild card this year.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago To me, Harris is the wild card this year.
I would add Fatts to that list.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

R.Kelly150 wrote: 4 years ago Can’t predict injures, but none of the top 3 have a history of them, so that’s a good sign. As far a Cox goes it’s when he truly starts to build his own team with his own recruits is when I start to judge. I’m not talking about the guys he brought in when Hurley was coach granted it heals something to do with him but it had more to do with who was the head coach.

I mean you can still judge even if he didn't have everything to do with everyone of the current players.

We will get a very good idea about him after this season.

We saw definite improvement as the season went on last year.

A similar trajectory for next year should get us in range of where we want to be.

This will be a very interesting season.
0 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

While I am ecstatic about the new players DC has brought in, our schedule is a true "step up in class". We're better, but so is everyone else, and our OOC is tough. I am keeping my expectations in check but I haven't been this excited about a Rhody team in years!!!
3 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

NC_Ram wrote: 4 years ago While I am ecstatic about the new players DC has brought in, our schedule is a true "step up in class". We're better, but so is everyone else, and our OOC is tough. I am keeping my expectations in check but I haven't been this excited about a Rhody team in years!!!
Agreed! Haven't been this excited since way back to the 17-18 team!
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t think the number of months on the bench has much to do with whether or not we can start forming a judgment on Cox. I think the panic that set in around here last winter was in some ways legitimate, but was ultimately premature because there were still games left to play and they made the most of them. If the last quarter of the season had been more like the previous quarter of the season I think talk about Cox going into the season on the hot seat would make more sense. Likewise, I feel good about the coach and the roster he’s put together as we sit here in August, but if we get to February again and this team is not in a position to make the postseason then I don’t think the fact that he’s only in his second year will buy him a lot of goodwill. Having a literal “NCAA or bust” outlook on this season is probably getting over our skis a bit, but with the roster we have I think this team should at least be playing for a bid into early March and the NIT is the floor. This team isn’t a true “long shot” for a bid, but I’d put the odds at slightly under 50/50 at this point.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I give us a 75% chance of making the tourney. I am very bullish on this team. More balanced than 17-18 team
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m optimistic too. But as much as the OOC schedule is deserving of praise, it’s also going to be pretty difficult. In conference, I see a pretty easy path to 4th place, but finishing further up the standings will be hard. With the OOC slate and two games apiece with the mettle of the league, there will be a lot of opportunities for big wins but also a lot of risk of a lower win total than we would hope for considering the roster. There are two sides of the coin.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I’m optimistic too.
Quite a big change from the opinions on here from just a few months ago. One year can make a big difference.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago To me, Harris is the wild card this year.
I would add Fatts to that list.
Its Tyrese Martin for me. This kid has the potential to be a star in this league. I think he makes the most strides of any of our soph's and surprises many this year. Kid is tough as nails.
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I think this teams success this year is going to depend on two things.
1. Can we hit the 3 with any type of consistency 35%+. Especially Fatts (25% was a KILLER).
2. Walker and Harris have to show up, stay healthy and give Cyril help and a breather. At times he
was the only one on the block/ boards last year.

We really needed a recruit to groom to replace Cyril this year and we didn't get one.
That could prove problematic moving forward.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I’m optimistic too.
Quite a big change from the opinions on here from just a few months ago. One year can make a big difference.
Obadiah’s contest will be interesting this season
I was way, way off last year.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

How many of those "experts" actually watched us play or closely follow the team? Look at the numbers according to kenpom because a lot of experts like to use those. We had our worst ranking since Hurley's first year. We had our worst year defensively since Hurley's first year. We finished 18-15 but had our worst SOS since the Baron years. If you think Cox did everything he could with the talent we had last year then sure, it makes sense to buy into where most media outlets are putting us.

I agree with what TP said. The beginning/middle of the year we did not look good but Cox appeared to get the team playing well at the end of the year. I still think looking at the whole year Cox underachieved based on the talent on the roster. In my opinion the talent is there to make it to the tournament. However if it takes Cox three quarters of a season to figure out how to get the guys playing to their potential then that won't be enough.
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I agree in that if we don't make it this year (Jeff and Cyril as seniors) it will be very disappointing. Next year's team I think will take a step back from this year barring an unforeseen progression from someone.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

As fans we tend to overrate talent but undervalue game experience.

Last year we played four freshman and a sophomore.

Hurley's two best teams were when we had upperclassmen with game experience
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago As fans we tend to overrate talent but undervalue game experience.

Last year we played four freshman and a sophomore.

Hurley's two best teams were when we had upperclassmen with game experience
I thought last year was going to be like the 14-15 season, young but hanging in there and eventually making the NiT. I’m not making any more predictions.

Making the tournament this year gives the program such an edge moving forward- establishing some momentum and getting the other 9 guys tournament experience, not to mention rewarding Jeff and Cyril.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

If you closely look at the stats at bottom of review, you will recognize the challenge the Rams face. You can't expect a team to make the post season if they show stats on offense like last year when the team finished in the lower half of the 345 teams playing D1 basketball. It was not just the unbelievably bad three point shooting, but all the stats on offense were lacking. We simply have to shoot the ball better or we will see a repeat of last year. I have hopes that the newcomers and a year of seasoning will change this.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago If you closely look at the stats at bottom of review, you will recognize the challenge the Rams face. You can't expect a team to make the post season if they show stats on offense like last year when the team finished in the lower half of the 345 teams playing D1 basketball. It was not just the unbelievably bad three point shooting, but all the stats on offense were lacking. We simply have to shoot the ball better or we will see a repeat of last year. I have hopes that the newcomers and a year of seasoning will change this.
Exactly why Cox went out and got two jucos. He wasn't going to place a bet on the rest of the team significantly improving, although he hopes that's the case.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Interesting discussion here, and one that sparks a central question in my mind. Your responses could help give me an idea of how I should cover the team this season.

What are your expectations for this group? I ask that taking a few things into consideration:
-- In Dowtin and Langevine, I think they have two of the top 10 players (at worst) in the A10
-- They return more than 86 percent of their scoring and more than 80 percent of their minutes played
-- The 2018-19 recruiting class was the top-ranked class in the A10
-- They reached the A10 semifinals in the conference tournament
-- The opportunities provided by the schedule and metrics that go along with them will be strong

In my mind, due to everything listed above, this should be an NCAA team. I'm inclined to cover them as such -- good wins, bad losses, NET ratings in perspective, etc. Is that fair?

Thanks in advance for the perspective.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just my opinion Bill, but I think you are spot on. The top rated class in the A10 are now sophomores. And they had lots of floor last year. I’m expecting a great year.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Bill, I think most Ram fans on this board are expecting a top 4 finish in the league and a good shot at the NCAAs. The only caveat is a tough non league schedule. I think your approach to be appropriate.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago Interesting discussion here, and one that sparks a central question in my mind. Your responses could help give me an idea of how I should cover the team this season.

What are your expectations for this group? I ask that taking a few things into consideration:
-- In Dowtin and Langevine, I think they have two of the top 10 players (at worst) in the A10
-- They return more than 86 percent of their scoring and more than 80 percent of their minutes played
-- The opportunities provided by the schedule and metrics that go along with them will be strong

In my mind, due to everything listed above, this should be an NCAA team. I'm inclined to cover them as such -- good wins, bad losses, NET ratings in perspective, etc. Is that fair?

I completely agree, and do think it is fair to cover them as such. In my opinion missing the tournament this year would be a huge disappointment and would mean we are likely to take a step back and undo most of the momentum from the Hurley era.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don’t see them as “should” being an NCAA tournament team. Yes, they will be in the mix, but as of now we’re clearly the 4th best team in the conference behind Dayton, VCU, and Davison.

The three teams mentioned above also return a ton of production.

We also were lucky Marcus Evans went down in our game against VCU in the A10 tournament, who knows if we would have won if he stayed healthy.

Hassan and Kuran’s senior season along with EC and Jared’s senior seasons constituted as teams who “should” make the NCAA tournament and they followed through with that.

I don’t see that this team being there at this stage at all.

Going into the season saying this team “should” make the tournament I think could set a lot of us up for disappoint.

Now I absolutely see this team in contention for a bid and will not at all be surprised if we make the big dance.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Agree with your feelings about the expectations for the Rams . I actually think many are underrating the Rams . I don't see them shooting
anywhere near as poorly this coming season . I expect a vast improvement from Fatts, Martin, Tate and even Doutin in the shooting deparment.
I also believe the added depth will be very important and will help the shooters stay fresh throughout the game . I would not be surprised to see
them win the regular season championship . Really, Davidson has added nothing, ditto to VCU .Dayton has a bunch of transfers that will probably
take all season for them to gel . Dayton I think is the most overrated and as a UD grad , I follow them more closely than anybody on here . I never
miss any of their games . Rated ahead of URI ? I don't see it, especially before the end of the season . Maybe they could win the A 10 Tournament
but I think they will struggle some all the way to the midpoint of conference play . don't forget that Jordan Davis transferred too . Hewas their top
3 point shooter. Davidson may pay a price for a severe lack of depth facing A10 foes who will be tougher this year and will probably have more
depth than they do . Any injury to any key player could be disastrous for The Cats. VCU may have a similar challenge . We saw what happened
in the Tournament last season as an example of how thin they are . So the regular season championship is up for grabs imo . I don't think we
should be ceding the league title to any of these teams just yet.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

One of dilemmas we face is that preseason Rhody is the 4th team in the A10 and based on recent history we don’t see more than three teams from the A10 getting in.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago Interesting discussion here, and one that sparks a central question in my mind. Your responses could help give me an idea of how I should cover the team this season.

I think this is spot on Bill...thanks! What will be telling is how they do in OOC. While I don't expect them to go undefeated against this tough slate, it is reasonable to suggest that if they hold their own and pull off an upset or two, without any bad losses, they will definitely put themselves in a good position for a bid. From their they take care of business in the A10 and I see no reason they won't dance. Will it be easy? No, but it certainly is achievable.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I see what you're doing here Bill!
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

A program just a year or two removed from two Atlantic 10 championships, with the talent and experience that's there, should make the NCAA tournament.

I think that's the standard we should set for ourselves. I think that's what Dave Cox has done thus far.

Just depends on whether Dave Cox is the guy to continue what Dan Hurley built.

We may know as soon as December or, as late as a couple years from now.

Will we play Rhode Island defense?

Can we make some threes???

If we do those things, everything will take care of itself.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago A program just a year or two removed from two Atlantic 10 championships, with the talent and experience that's there, should make the NCAA tournament.

I think that's the standard we should set for ourselves. I think that's what Dave Cox has done thus far.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel as well. My expectations for this year are based more on where I think we should be at this point and maybe less about what I think they will be. I agree with those that say there are still a lot of unknowns going into this season and there is some wait and see involved before we know what we'll get from this years team.

But a couple years removed from A10 championships and making the tournament, with the trio of Dowtin/Fatts/Cyril and the maturation of the highly ranked freshman class from last year should equal an NCAA Tournament berth. And to repeat myself from my earlier post, not making the tournament this year would mean we are likely to take a step back and undo most of the momentum from the Hurley era.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago A program just a year or two removed from two Atlantic 10 championships, with the talent and experience that's there, should make the NCAA tournament.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel as well. My expectations for this year are based more on where I think we should be at this point and maybe less about what I think they will be. I agree with those that say there are still a lot of unknowns going into this season and there is some wait and see involved before we know what we'll get from this years team.

But a couple years removed from A10 championships and making the tournament, with the trio of Dowtin/Fatts/Cyril and the maturation of the highly ranked freshman class from last year should equal an NCAA Tournament berth. And to repeat myself from my earlier post, not making the tournament this year would mean we are likely to take a step back and undo most of the momentum from the Hurley era.

I agree. Things will be very rocky if we dont make it this year. If we dont make it this year, we MUST the next year.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I give us a 75% chance of making the tourney. I am very bullish on this team. More balanced than 17-18 team
Probably semantics, but I would not be much over 50% at the max just thinking back how precarious our bid was late in the season even for EC's/Jared's senior season. Not a lot of margin of error in our conference lately, although this can turn around if a number of A10 teams match up well against the P5 conferences early on.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Was Cox given a 5 year deal? If so, this would be year 2. If he doesn't make post season, does he get an extension? If he doesn't he's down to 3.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I give us a 75% chance of making the tourney. I am very bullish on this team. More balanced than 17-18 team
Probably semantics, but I would not be much over 50% at the max just thinking back how precarious our bid was late in the season even for EC's/Jared's senior season. Not a lot of margin of error in our conference lately, although this can turn around if a number of A10 teams match up well against the P5 conferences early on.
I think you mean their junior season, where we found out only after we won the A10 tournament that we’d secured an at-large anyways? Their senior season they were a lock from February and were easily in even after a tough end of the year.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I agree with these takes. If we cannot have some expectation of making the tourney with our entire starting 5 returning, when can we? That being said, I feel we need significant production out Shepherd and Walker, and/or one of the Freshmen.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago

I agree with these takes. If we cannot have some expectation of making the tourney with our entire starting 5 returning, when can we? That being said, I feel we need significant production out Shepherd and Walker, and/or one of the Freshmen.

We need the transfers to bring something to the table for sure.

The freshman dont necessarily need to contribute much.

I'd replace what you said about freshman, but only apply that to sophomores.

Harris looking like a top 100 player.

Rese making shots, slashing, playing good D like he did in the middle of the year.

Dana cashing in on all this offseasons stuff I'm hearing.
0 x