Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Asst. Coach Posting?

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If they pay TJ 90, that leaves 166 for the second assistant.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ty went from $75,000 as DBO to $115,000 his first year as assistant. Then jumped to $143,000. I think he used the leverage of leaving to get the big bump to $143,000 when Cox got hired. I wonder if there was any interest from Dan/UConn?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

TJ's old job is listed on the URI site. I noticed it since I'm applying for a state job anyways. Any clue who could be up for that? one of the former Players?

I can't help but wonder if when I saw Thorr and the CCrI Coach guy talking in Panera about basketball program stuff a couple of months ago ( I wrote it up in the schedule thread). It was related to the search for an assistant? Maybe not the CCrI coach himself but using him as a sort of headhunter/connection?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Idk what Thorr was talking about with the CCRI coach, but that reminds me of this time in 2011 that me and another guy in my firm were in a Starbucks in New Rochelle and saw Brian Cashman huddled in the back wearing a shady hat/sunglasses combo having a very animated conversation with a woman who was 100% not his wife, and then about 2 months later deadspin dropped this: https://deadspin.com/everything-you-nee ... re-5882319
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Ty Boswell was hired for a single purpose and was given an excellent opportunity. Unfortunately, he squandered that opportunity. He is a long way from ever returning to D1; and if Hurley wanted him, he would be at UCONN. Hurley cherry picked from his staff here. Rick Harris, the CCRI Coach would be a phenomenal addition to the staff. He is a great teacher both in the classroom and on the court and knows the Junior College circuit as well as anyone in the area. He has expressed interest in this position in the past but was never offered. If it happens this time it's a home run. Give Bob Walsh the last spot and this staff will be outstanding.
3 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

I am sorry, but with all due respect to Rick Harris he is no way near the level of a coach that URI needs. He is a very nice guy, but he has had so much talent between H.S. at Cranston East and with CCRI and has little to show for it. Go ask his former players and you will get some who respect and like him, but most will tell you that he doesn't know how to run a practice and he tries too hard to be their friend and not their coach or teacher of the game. We need coaches to be able to recruit big talent and to find the Diamond in the ruff. We need coaches who can help coach the players in practice and I am sorry that is not Rick Harris by any stretch. I used to coach at a high school that played against Rick every year for a long time
2 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

While I vehemently disagree with your baseless attack on Rick Harris the position Is Director of Basketball Operations. He would not be recruiting and his primary duties are administrative. Did he cut you or a member of your family?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain’t so Brian Cashman !!
0 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

Cameron_Dollar he didn't cut me. I went to a Catholic High School and not Cranston East. I have sisters and one brother and he also went to a Catholic High School I gave my opinion based off of my dealings with him and many others over 20 years of dealing with Rick. I said he is a nice guy, but even for the Director of Basketball Operations he is not the person for the job. Rick is a school teacher and a coach, but he is not qualified for any position on a college team, past jr college. I am just shocked that anyone would even think of him for this position
2 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Posting for Ast Coach’s position closes today. Get your resume in and line up early for interviews tomorrow.
Seriously, the 14 day clock starts tomorrow. The leak on who the new Assistant will be should come in 11-12 days.
Pretty quiet on this (and everything) considering It's the 12th day from 8/7 - any rumors to leak?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It’s been really quiet.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Source: "Names I've heard have either decided to stay put or taken other jobs because of the length of the process."
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Source: "Names I've heard have either decided to stay put or taken other jobs because of the length of the process."
Thank you John Carroll. He screwed URI and Cox by not stepping aside when his contract ended May 31st. He cost them two months in the hiring process.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Why didn’t they hire externally for Boswell’s position and pencil in TJ for the Carroll spot? He was already acting as an assistant anyway though all of this and, at worst, would have returned to his previous role.

I’m not sure I buy blaming this whole thing on Carroll “not stepping aside.” Seems too reflexively defensive.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago Why didn’t they hire externally for Boswell’s position and pencil in TJ for the Carroll spot?

I’m not sure I buy blaming this whole thing on Carroll “not stepping aside.” Seems too reflexively defensive.
Agree to disagree on Carroll. I don’t blame the whole thing on Carroll. Hiring a coach in late August is not a good position to be in. URI is not going to get the best candidate had they been hiring in June.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It’s pretty well known by the time URI reached out to Tyson he had just finished interviewing at UMass and had been offered the job.
UMass (state school) was able to fill its three assistant coaching positions quicker than URI filled one internally. There is something wrong with URI’s hiring process.

1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Fact is only three A10 schools haven't filled their coaching positions: URI, Fordham and George Mason. Not the kind of company we were hoping the program would keep.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Fact is only three A10 schools haven't filled their coaching positions: URI, Fordham and George Mason. Not the kind of company we were hoping the program would keep.
Now it's just us and GM....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

URI had a bit of an odd hand dealt to it with the Carroll situation. I get (and share) the frustration with the red tape the athletic department has to deal with, but accepting that part as a given I’m not sure how much better URI could have done in dealing with the Carroll situation.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Agree the Carroll situation screwed things up but there are things to question when the process doesn’t go right. You can start with the time it took to post Boswell’s position. His contract expired May 31st. He left the job a few days before that. Why did it take so long to post the job?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago URI had a bit of an odd hand dealt to it with the Carroll situation. I get (and share) the frustration with the red tape the athletic department has to deal with, but accepting that part as a given I’m not sure how much better URI could have done in dealing with the Carroll situation.
Given that the Carroll situation had a chance to become complicated, did anything keep them from hiring externally for Boswell’s position? Keep TJ on as an acting assistant coach. He then either officially moves to the assistant role or returns to his DBO job.

I have zero problems with TJ being on the staff as an assistant, but he also has only two years in on a college staff, going on three. He’s a smart guy and understands how things work. Unnecessary headaches, especially if it’s not like that everywhere, really frustrate head coaches.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think that the complicating factor, based on my read of the explanation given here by Shane, is that Carroll wanted his job back and so the athletic department tried to give him as much time as they could. Like everything else in life, I’m sure there is more to the story and I’m not privy to that. The only other answer to your question (which is valid) that I can think of would have to do with how they slot assistants and how they pay them within the budget - i.e., if they had hired a Carroll replacement with Boswell’s spot and paid the going rate for an experienced coach, they’d be a little boxed in if Carroll were able to get back to full strength and wanted to come back.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

From what I'm hearing it's been a search of confusion and indecision. They've passed on some quality coaches. Hopefully it works out in the end.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I think that the complicating factor, based on my read of the explanation given here by Shane, is that Carroll wanted his job back and so the athletic department tried to give him as much time as they could. Like everything else in life, I’m sure there is more to the story and I’m not privy to that. The only other answer to your question (which is valid) that I can think of would have to do with how they slot assistants and how they pay them within the budget - i.e., if they had hired a Carroll replacement with Boswell’s spot and paid the going rate for an experienced coach, they’d be a little boxed in if Carroll were able to get back to full strength and wanted to come back.
TP, you are wrong about the pay situation. I have posted the salaries of Boswell and Carroll on this thread a few times. Boswell made $143,500 and Carroll made $112,750.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The reasons I think Cox hired TJ first:
1) Cox wanted TJ as one of his three coaches this year. He didn’t want him to go back to DBO.
2) By the time Carroll agreed to resign, TJ was already told he had the assistant job. No way Cox was going back on his word and telling TJ to wait for the Carroll opening. And I am glad he didn’t.
3) If Cox didn’t hire TJ as an assistant this year most likely TJ would be gone before the a position opened on his staff after this year.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It would be surprising to me if they paid TJ closer to Boswell’s salary than Carroll’s, but I’d be lying if I said I knew for sure. Either way, I don’t disagree with the reasons you gave.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago The reasons I think Cox hired TJ first:
1) Cox wanted TJ as one of his three coaches this year. He didn’t want him to go back to DBO.
2) By the time Carroll agreed to resign, TJ was already told he had the assistant job. No way Cox was going back on his word and telling TJ to wait for the Carroll opening. And I am glad he didn’t.
3) If Cox didn’t hire TJ as an assistant this year most likely TJ would be gone before the a position opened on his staff after this year.
2 isn’t a reason. 3) Making a decision today based on what might happen in a year and TJ being gone after one year as director of player development and two years as a DBO is certainly debatable. That’s not a knock on TJ, there are just a lot of good and/or connected people out there fighting for a limited number of jobs.

#1, if true, is the only reason that matters- if Cox wanted him more than anyone else he could have gotten, then great. The subsequent hiring process being described as confusing and indecisive isn’t great.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago It would be surprising to me if they paid TJ closer to Boswell’s salary than Carroll’s, but I’d be lying if I said I knew for sure. Either way, I don’t disagree with the reasons you gave.
I am sure TJ is paid between $80-100k. No one ever suggested he was going to get near Boswell’s salary. Most were surprised by Boswell’s (higher than expected) and Carroll’s (lower than expected) salaries. They could’ve hired an experienced coach at $143,500 in July and TJ at less than $112,000 in August.

The uncertainty of the Carroll situation right up until he agreed to resign on July 15th impacted the first hire.

The general thought was that Cox had a candidate in mind who wasn’t currently on a staff (part of a staff whose HC was let go in Mar/Apr). Greg St. Jean from St. Johns as an example. St. Jean took a job with the Lakers on July 31st.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This timing sucks having Tyson as an assistant for Umass and not URI is awful
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Hearing new asst. coach to be announced around Monday. No names disclosed.DBO also filled.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

DBO is Ryan.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago On a related subject, the DBO position is open until end of the day tomorrow.
A wild card for the spot could be Ryan McCloskey.
https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/6188
It made sense. Ryan was recruiting with TJ in Illinois during the NCAA camp the end of July.
Good for Ryan.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Hearing new asst. coach to be announced around Monday. No names disclosed.DBO also filled.
To me that sounds like it isn’t finalized yet. Six days is a long time if a deal was done (even a verbal agreement).
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This has to be happening this week, right?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago This has to be happening this week, right?
Yes.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

John Carroll sighting on campus.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ha imagine all the hand wringing about this over the entire offseason and it turns out we make exactly zero outside hires, just bump Ty out and TJ and Ryan up?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Ha imagine all the hand wringing about this over the entire offseason and it turns out we make exactly zero outside hires, just bump Ty out and TJ and Ryan up?
And went short one assistant for 6 months and another assistant for 2 months.
Or counting TJ s an assistant since Feb - one assistant 3 months (June, July & Aug) and one Admin personnel 6 months.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Would there be anything more Rhode Island than after all this Carroll returns to his job....I dont think so.
2 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

A lifetime pension?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Ha imagine all the hand wringing about this over the entire offseason and it turns out we make exactly zero outside hires, just bump Ty out and TJ and Ryan up?
Could be, but likely would be short lived.
I personally have no problem with Carroll returning. Continue to with him and his family the best with his recovery.
Cox has grown considerably in his 1st year as Head Coach. If the same Coaching Staff returns they will be better than last season.
Could a return by Carroll even turn into a rallying cry for the entire Team - knowing what Carroll and his family have gone through?
I think everything will turn out fine. It's going to be a good year for Rhody Basketball.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago A lifetime pension?
.......this is my vote for third best post of the off season......we’ll done.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago A lifetime pension?
An accountant, banker, or financial advisor, I am not, but isn't the intent of a pension to make payments for a ... lifetime?
Unless you take the lump sum, aren't all pensions "lifetime"?
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What's a pension?
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago What's a pension?
...asked the private sector worker ;)
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

psssst - non-classified employees don't get pensions at URI. They are enrolled in a 403b benefit plan - the equivalent of a 401K.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Carroll is not being rehired.
2 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

What day into the hiring cycle are we? Which beaurocratic hopp have we not jumped through yet?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

We are moving to the official offer phase today. Hopefully, he gets a “yes”.
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Any chance it’s Bob Walsh?
0 x