Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Asst. Coach Posting?

Unread post by theblueram »

Totally agree. This is just an embarrassing situation. I sure hope this teams makes it to the NCAAT next year.............................
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Totally agree. This is just an embarrassing situation. I sure hope this teams makes it to the NCAAT next year.............................
If they don’t it will not be because the 2nd Assistant Coach started 7 days late in August when the players are on break and it’s a recruiting Dead Period.

The two impacts regarding Assistant Coaching changes where:
1) Carroll out on disability from late Feb thru July - this was 100% covered by TJ. We were lucky to have TJ and he has done a great job.
2) Boswell leaving May 31st. This is what caused the shortage in recruiting. There was no one to fill his spot. Rhody was short a recruiter for June & July. This was the impact and not #1.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

OK, yet it appears it was known Ty would not be renewed, so I will still question the program's pro-activity and either way the athletic department having it's hands tied by regulations intended for state positions is silly and so Rhode Island. URI is basically privately funded it's not appropriate for the state to dictate university regulations. I realize some of the regs are general state labor law, but anything specific to 'state' employment should not apply.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago OK, yet it appears it was known Ty would not be renewed, so I will still question the program's pro-activity and either way the athletic department having it's hands tied by regulations intended for state positions is silly and so Rhode Island. URI is basically privately funded it's not appropriate for the state to dictate university regulations. I realize some of the regs are general state labor law, but anything specific to 'state' employment should not apply.
I agree. Did anyone confirm with a source that it was known Ty would not be renewed? I hadn’t read that on the Board.
I don’t think Ty knew. He was the lead recruit for a signee in May.
rhodyrhodyrhody
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyrhodyrhody »

Running Ram
Carlton Owens

its all rumor and speculation for most of us. I think, though that the decision to not renew a contract would include a pro-active plan of replacement.

In the end, I really don't feel like its a MBB program flub, but a combination of circumstance and clunky administrative practices, which ties the hands of the managers of the MBB program.
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

rhodyrhodyrhody wrote: 4 years ago
This is good stuff though!!

Go TJ!!!
Go Rhody!!!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Btw, the new job posting has a minimum requirement of 2 years as a college assistant coach. This means top prep coaches like Jason Smith (Brewster) are not candidates. I am sure Cox has 3-4 candidates in mind that meet all of the requirements.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago

Go TJ!!!

Well, there ya have it, folks!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago

Go TJ!!!

Well, there ya have it, folks!
Great news! Congratulations TJ Buchanan!!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Not a surprise but certainly welcome news. Love having TJ remaining part of the team.
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Nothing in Shane's explanation explains why they would wait 10 days after the Carroll announcement to post the job. Is a full staff better than a short staff? Then why would you delay. If they had posted the job immediately Cox would be doing interviews next week. Even in a dead period I'd rather have a full staff.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Great news! This is a promotion that was both well earned and clearly deserved.
Congratulations to "Coach" Buchanan. Best of Luck to you!

#GoRhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’m a fan of this.
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Congrats, TJ!

Year 1: Director of Player Development
Year 2: Director of Basketball Operations
Year 3: Assistant Coach

I anxiously await his acceptance of the head coach job next Spring
rhodyrhodyrhody
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyrhodyrhody »

Any word on a short list for next opening?
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: Asst. Coach Posting ?

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

RAMFAN wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago I ‘m back on the TJ train for the third assistant. He may not be Rhode Island born but he’s definitely Rhode Island bred. He bridges three eras in our history with a huge success story. He stepped up when Carroll was sick. He’s a bargain at the price we can get him for. He can tell our story better than anyone. At the end of the day if I am a parent of a child who is 14 to 17 or 18 years old what better person or persons do I want them to become other than David Cox and TJ Buchanan. I think we are being extremely shortsighted if we think we have to get a unemployed assistant coach who is a superstar will bring us a LeBron James. That will never happen. They just don’t exist. We are Rhode Island for Christ sakes. If we don’t believe in little guy who does. Give them a chance. We may catch lightning in a bottle.
I think some of us have a higher opinion of our school than you.Let's hire someone unqualified for the position because they played here? Because we can't do better? Stupid
Hey RamFan, how do you like me now?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

How is he less qualified than Boswell?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Why no mention of TJ III?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Congrats TJ!!!!! He was tenacious on the court and I'm sure will be the same on the recruiting trail.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Nothing in Shane's explanation explains why they would wait 10 days after the Carroll announcement to post the job. Is a full staff better than a short staff? Then why would you delay. If they had posted the job immediately Cox would be doing interviews next week. Even in a dead period I'd rather have a full staff.
do we really believe that cox is not "interviewing" or really has the job filled???
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Nothing in Shane's explanation explains why they would wait 10 days after the Carroll announcement to post the job. Is a full staff better than a short staff? Then why would you delay. If they had posted the job immediately Cox would be doing interviews next week. Even in a dead period I'd rather have a full staff.
do we really believe that cox is not "interviewing" or really has the job filled???
I think the point Iggy was making was with regards to “starting the clock” on the process Shane described.
Because the job was posted 7/25 it has to stay open until 8/7. Then the process Shane described begins.
I believe the process will be 14 days before an official hire. So that will be Aug 21st. If they had posted the job on 7/18, the hire could’ve been official Aug 14th (more in line with the timing of the full staff comment a few weeks ago). Unofficially, Cox could have his candidate finalized Aug 9th.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I have no idea who it's going to be. Any guesses?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Walsh is out of the country so I guess it's not him
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Interesting website update on gorhody

COACHING STAFF

Head Coach: David Cox
Assistant Coaches: T.J. Buchanan, John Carroll, Kevin Sutton
Director of Basketball Operations: TBA
Director of Player Development: Jerrell Coleman
Video Coordinator: Ryan McCloskey
Director of Basketball Performance: Chase Campbell
Athletic Trainer: Daniel Anthony
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Since TJ promoted they have to post his spot and go through the whole state rigmarole https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/6188 Quite the salary range, but that's based on Department of Administration pay grades that URI does not determine, but pay would fall in line somewhere in there depending on what's in the pool.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Assistant Coaches are still being hired this late into the summer.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Assistant Coaches are still being hired this late into the summer.
Is he truly one of their 3 Assistant Coaches or is this one of those made-up Assistant to the Regional Manager positions like what LSU hired a few weeks ago?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Assistant Coaches are still being hired this late into the summer.
Is he truly one of their 3 Assistant Coaches or is this one of those made-up Assistant to the Regional Manager positions like what LSU hired a few weeks ago?
I am not sure but the NCAA strictly limits the number of coaches to four. If someone on the staff isn’t 1 of the 4, they can’t perform any coaching functions or recruit players. They aren’t allowed to participate in practice. They aren’t allowed to provide skill instruction to a player in any setting.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox should officially start interviewing for the open spot this Thurs Aug 8th.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago RI is lousy because half of CT flocks to South County each summer. Then again, South County doesn't really exist.
Would rather be living where people flock 'to', than 'from.'
I agree with you
Went to Charlestown Breachway today (got the pass, may as well hit 'em all)...
I'd say CT/MA/NY license plates outnumbered RI by 3:1...
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I was down in Quonnie a few weeks ago and did not see one RI plate. All CT.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Quonset Point how surprising
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Quonset Point how surprising
Quonochontaug (Quonnie") Pond in Rhode Island"

Charlestown
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That is a challenge to spell that right lol!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

As a former Charlestown resident who grew up there, that's been an erosion over the past 30 years or so. Like the private beach I worked at in the early 2000s, it was alllll CT and NY even at that point. Can't imagine it has gotten any better in the past decade, and I can't really blame any long-time RI residents that decide they want to cash out. My parents' house continues to go up in valuation a healthy amount, year after year, and there is almost zero chance to get any sort of high-density development approved in that area.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Posting for Ast Coach’s position closes today. Get your resume in and line up early for interviews tomorrow.
Seriously, the 14 day clock starts tomorrow. The leak on who the new Assistant will be should come in 11-12 days.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Interviews start Monday. Ten more days until new assistant is announced.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

What type of assistant should Cox hire? What are the most important skills - bench coach/scout, player development, recruiting?
Does he hire a full time recruiter like Ty was or do all of the assistants split recruiting evenly?

Has anyone heard if Carroll’s health improved enough for him to apply and meet the rigors of college coaching?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago What type of assistant should Cox hire? What are the most important skills - bench coach/scout, player development, recruiting?
Does he hire a full time recruiter like Ty was or do all of the assistants split recruiting evenly?

Has anyone heard if Carroll’s health improved enough for him to apply and meet the rigors of college coaching?
Never hire another Ty. Need a coach that is multi-dimensional. The only reason I’d hire another Ty, is if he was a bonafide HR hitter.

We need a respected guys, who’s played, who’s coached and has ties to a hot bed.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

DC needs to hire the equivalent of what he was to Dan - and pretty much what was described by DC. Someone respected, rising in the profession, multi dimensional with strong relationships/ties to a recruiting base.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Cox needs his own Cox, meaning to fulfill the same role he played for Hurley. It would be nice if he had deep ties to New England that DC has in the DMV.
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago Cox needs his own Cox, meaning to fulfill the same role he played for Hurley. It would be nice if he had deep ties to New England that DC has in the DMV.
Folks need to also realize we caught Cox on somewhat of a fire sale. Cox was actually worth way more than we got for him, for reasons many of you I’m sure know. It will tough getting another Cox. Need a Book Richardson type, without the dirt under the nails of course.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I trust Cox to get the best he can get.

I don't think he needs a version of himself because he has clearly delivered on being a recruiter with strong ties to a great area.

Best to get a hard worker that can take something off his plate and build chemistry on the staff.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The level of assistant is directly tied to the pay. Sutton ($179,000) is the #1 assistant. Depending on what Cox/Thorr paid TJ and if they want to leave any of the salary pool for raises to keep TJ in future years, will determine the pay available for assistant #2.

Ty was making $143,000 and Carroll was making $113,000. So you have $256,000 for TJ and assistant #2.
My guess is the range for a first year assistant at $88,000-$105,000.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

On a related subject, the DBO position is open until end of the day tomorrow.
A wild card for the spot could be Ryan McCloskey.
https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/6188
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I would love someone like Jason Smith at Brewster, but I think that's a very long-shot at best. One of the top "recruiters" in HS with connections to incredible New England talent, 6 prep championships, and a long list of notable NBA players/stars. My guess is he's the type that would follow the Hurley route of Mid-Major head coach straight out of HS, but he'd be a home run hire.

Kevin Boyle of Montverde, Chad Myers of Massanutten, and Mike Rice Jr. (baggage) are worth a look as well.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago The level of assistant is directly tied to the pay. Sutton ($179,000) is the #1 assistant. Depending on what Cox/Thorr paid TJ and if they want to leave any of the salary pool for raises to keep TJ in future years, will determine the pay available for assistant #2.

Ty was making $143,000 and Carroll was making $113,000. So you have $256,000 for TJ and assistant #2.
My guess is the range for a first year assistant at $88,000-$105,000.
http://www.transparency.ri.gov/payroll/verify_prep.php

It is listed TJ made ~$47k on the transparency site for FY 2019. Going to be a huge bump in pay for him for sure!