‘20 MD Elijah Wood (Nebraska)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: ‘20 MD Elijah Wood (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Slim wrote: 4 years ago There will be interesting news dropping on Elijah Wood at some point soon. Lol
He’s more than likely transferring.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Slim wrote: 4 years ago There will be interesting news dropping on Elijah Wood at some point soon. Lol
To a better basketball school?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
To a better basketball school?
Yes
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

WTF!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years agoWTF!
This will be a good thing if it happens. Better team, better competition.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I wonder if the interesting part will be Cox and co getting involved with his development earlier than expected. Getting him somewhere that can get him on track.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago I wonder if the interesting part will be Cox and co getting involved with his development earlier than expected. Getting him somewhere that can get him on track.
Like Massanutten.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Elijah Wood tweeting some love to Slim 😜
0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Elijah Wood tweeting some love to Slim 😜
I thought you were done talking. Troll!! You stay mentioning me. Lol. Hopefully, Wood is getting better and getting ready for the A10. He was bad this summer up @Dematha leg.
Last edited by Slim 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I was joking because the word “slim” was in the tweet he ❤️❤️.
For some reason the text in the tweet didn’t post on the Board.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s transferring to Lincoln Academy in NC
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

For some reason the tweet you copied didn’t post
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The article:
Lincoln Academy gets another high-major prospect on there roster for the team’s first season in Winston-Salem.

Rhode Island commit and 2020 four-star Elijah Wood tells Stockrisers that he will transfer to Lincoln Academy, he becomes the second pickup in the last few days with the first being Bryce McGowens.

“Just trying to get the most out of my senior year as possible, learning how to live on my own, learning how to take care of my body over a long stretch of time and to get better also to play under the wing of coach Larry Davis and staff. They’re great coaches and people and I feel they can take my game to the next level, BCC was a great place to play and I’m appreciative of everything they’ve done for me. But I feel as this is the best move that could help me reach my goal quicker,” Wood said.

“I’m looking foward to playing alongside great teammates and to play in national events and to be seen and win those games.”

As for his development, he said the following:

“I’m trying to improve on my point guard skills and to get my IQ college ready, also consistency on my shot, I want to go into Rhode Island in my freshman year with a sophomore mentality and body.”
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If the school he is transferring from is the school he played summer league with, hard not to think this is a good move.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago If the school he is transferring from is the school he played summer league with, hard not to think this is a good move.
It is.
0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago If the school he is transferring from is the school he played summer league with, hard not to think this is a good move.
5th school in 4 years - St. Andrews, BCC, Sunrise, BCC, New School now. The saga continues. Lol
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Slim wrote: 4 years ago
5th school in 4 years - St. Andrews, BCC, Sunrise, BCC, New School now. The saga continues. Lol
Barons (BCC) won their 1st game then lost their next 9 to finish (1-9)
When Barons beat Landon 93-92 Wood had a good game and got mentioned in tweets for his stats that game:
15-29 FG
3-7 FT
3-10 on 3FG
7 rebounds
4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 TO for 36 points
Landon finished (1-9), just like Barons (BCC) did

Game 2 lost to Tacoma (72-41) played 28 minutes
4-19 FG
1-2 FT
2-5 on 3FG
4 rebounds
11 points

Game 3 lost to Maret (70-40) played 33 minutes
5-20 FG
3-8 FT
0-4 on 3FG
4 rebounds
13 points

Game 4 lost to Tigers (Wilson) (72-49)played 23 minutes
3-10 FG
1-3 FT
0-5 on 3FG
2 rebounds
7 points

Game 5 lost to Titans (TC Williams) (65-50) DNP
Game 6 lost to St Stevens & St Agnes (94-35) played 21 minutes
1-7 FG
4-8 FT
0-2 on 3FG
5 rebounds
6 points

Game 7 lost to Potomac School (73-41) DNP
Game 8 lost to DeMatha (102-42) DNP
Game 9 lost to Bengals (Blake) (69-51) DNP
Game 10 lost to WT Woodson (64-53) DNP

Summary of Summer League performance (played 5 games and DNP 5 games including the last 4 games):
14.6 ppg
4.4 rpg
28-85 FG for 32.9%
12-28 FT for 42.9%
5-26 on 3FG for 19.2%

Don’t know of Wood playing any AAU Basketball or Summer League Ball during the important Summer prior to his Senior Year
His big game was his first game and against a team that finished (1-9)
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
It is.
He will get visibility at Lincoln Academy in NC
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like he needs to work on all aspects of shooting free throws included
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If there isn't some dramatic improvement in those numbers this season, then I doubt Wood plays much at URI.

We don't need any more bad shooters.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I reallllllllllly hope the staff is on point with their evaluation here because to say there are red flags is the understatement of the year.
Not a huge fan of these made up basketball schools that pop up randomly, 4 schools in 5 years...if Vegas put odds on this kid seeing his Senior Night in Kingston, RI they would be steep.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

It seems like there are so many more players out there with lower ratings that are going to be much better player than Wood. Take his height and way too high rating out of the thought process. I guess we will see what happens, but really need another Point Guard.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have a bad feeling about this kid . Prove me wrong Elijah Wood!!
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

All of our recruits now a days have played on multiple HS/prep teams. It's a little embarrassing that we can't show Wood the same support we give others who have committed to Rhody. If he doesn't feel the love why put in the effort? We've all been there professionally where we are under-appreciated and perhaps don't put in max effort as a result, potentially we look to other opportunities where we will be better appreciated and work harder. Perhaps Wood works hard for some other university that has a fan base which can get excited about his potential. We are still referring to a kid that hasn't finished high school yet, who of us had their shit together when they were juniors in HS? We could give the kid a shot, maybe see him play a game in a Rhody uni before we start placing odds on his chances to graduate a Ram. Just saying.
6 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Best of luck to the kid, seems determined to work on his game and improve. Rooting for him like I would for anyone associated with the program who acquits themselves well. But boy those stats are brutal...
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

His play this summer means nothing to me - he has committed and is playing against guys who are hungry to get a scholarship. Let’s see how he does his senior year
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago His play this summer means nothing to me - he has committed and is playing against guys who are hungry to get a scholarship. Let’s see how he does his senior year
Agree
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago His play this summer means nothing to me - he has committed and is playing against guys who are hungry to get a scholarship. Let’s see how he does his senior year
And he shouldn't want to impress just because he has a commitment? Like, I have no clue how Wood will be at URI - there are so many variables at play here - but his play this summer, and his team's lack of success, isn't all that reassuring to me.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
And he shouldn't want to impress just because he has a commitment? Like, I have no clue how Wood will be at URI - there are so many variables at play here - but his play this summer, and his team's lack of success, isn't all that reassuring to me.
Definitely nothing reassuring about it, and I don’t subscribe to rhodylaw’s logic here. But, I do look at it slightly differently. As I’ve said before in this thread, it is really hard for certain types of players to be impressive as the only good player on an otherwise dreadful team. I’m not sure if that describes Wood or not - don’t know nearly enough about him as a player. But the knowledge that the team he was playing with was awful is enough for me to reserve judgment.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree with the last 2 posts, summer league stats aren't the end all be all...but when they are as abysmal as his stats were, and you add it to the rest of his performance background (multiple schools, minimal impact in many different environments) it is worth mentioning. In general you want to recruit kids that compete every opportunity they get - in AAU, high school, summer league or in the backyard with their buddies. So the idea that it was summer league and he could have been taking his foot off the gas because he already has committed isn't a reason to dismiss, it's another reason to be concerned.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree
So his Senior year will be an environment where he has already committed and he will be playing against guys hungry to get scholarships as well. So why should his Senior year be different?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Agree
So his Senior year will be an environment where he has already committed and he will be playing against guys hungry to get scholarships as well. So why should his Senior year be different?

There are other players who have committed but are still playing AAU this summer. Surprised Wood didn’t play AAU this summer
He spent his summer getting bigger and stronger. He’s gained 20 pounds since the beginning of summer.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This poor kid has got to be the most maligned signed recruit ever on these boards. I actually feel bad for him as he has certainly got rough treatment here. I never knew we had so many talent experts that could portend the future.
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago This poor kid has got to be the most maligned signed recruit ever on these boards. I actually feel bad for him as he has certainly got rough treatment here. I never knew we had so many talent experts that could portend the future.
Yeah, lesson learned for me. I feel bad that I had a part in it.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago This poor kid has got to be the most maligned signed recruit ever on these boards. I actually feel bad for him as he has certainly got rough treatment here. I never knew we had so many talent experts that could portend the future.
Agree very much. Like someone else mentioned, here is a young man that apparently likes our program and wants to be here and has gotten rough treatment by some. And even though the program has grown in last 5 years, we still are not exactly UNC or Duke like some would apparently believe. Its seems like we have Red Auerbach, John Wooden and Coach K posting here with their opinions at times. While I respect some of the posters and their opinions, I"ll side with David Cox and our staff at this point over some that feel they are experts because they scored 15 points in a cyo game 30 years ago or coached a cyo team to a title. Recruiting is a very inexact science, especially when you are recruiting at the mid major level . I know DCRam has stated from early on that he was not high on his game and I respect his thoughts, but he also is realistic and has said it is just his opinion. As long as the young man is committed to this program and wants to come here and our staff likes him, I will go with that until I see otherwise.

Also, as far as his apparently poor summer play is not what you would like to see, remember we are dealing with a teenager and none of us know what is going on in his mind or even personally. Sure, it would be great to have every young guy with a motor like JT or Hassan, but not every kid is built that way. As a player, just like as a person , you have good days, bad days. ups and downs. Let's see what he does his senior year and then when he hopefully gets here before we are ready to throw him to the curb.
3 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

i just want this kid to hold onto that big chip that continues to get bigger from the doubters and use it as fuel when he arrives in kingston
1 x
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

Elijah staying home for the summer and not really taking part in the AAU circuit maybe is more understandable when you realize that he has committed to spending this year at an out of state "basketball school". This means he will be away from his home and friends for the next 5 years. This includes the summers spent in Kingston. This has to be hard on a kid.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Saying there are some red flags is considered beating the kid up on here?....c'mon. I'm a total Rhody homer and I want every kid that wears Keaney Blue to succeed. I do trust the staff, and in this case and all cases defer to their expertise, but its a message board so I believe we are allowed to voice some opinions on recruits in the appropriately titled "recruiting thread". If this is just the "trust the staff" section of the site we should rename it.
4 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Saying there are some red flags is considered beating the kid up on here?....c'mon. I'm a total Rhody homer and I want every kid that wears Keaney Blue to succeed. I do trust the staff, and in this case and all cases defer to their expertise, but its a message board so I believe we are allowed to voice some opinions on recruits in the appropriately titled "recruiting thread". If this is just the "trust the staff" section of the site we should rename it.
"Trust the staff" is the most annoying phrased used on this board in general. It's a cheap way to dismiss other Rhody fans comments without giving an actual thought out response.
5 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I agree. That was said with Aris and many times before that. Let’s hope the kid is successful, but there is reason for concern. With that said some of the remaining targets look very good. Let’s hope we get some of these guys.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Young roster. Only one other ‘20. Looks like they are building for the future.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

That’s a big high school team
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Latest 247 Rankings are out

Wood dropped to #226, 3 star. Did not play AAU in Spring/Summer to my knowledge

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Baske ... Highschool
Slim took a lot of grief for throwing dirt on Wood whenever he got the chance, but if it is starting to feel like he is right. I’m not too excited about Wood at all. Hopefully we get some of the other targets.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think a drop in rating because a kid didn’t play is irreyto a school that he already committed to.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I’m still excited to see how he turns out - the drop in rating doesn’t bother me as much because he didn’t play this summer. Also does not bother me that he didn’t really play AAU this summer either. If you are already committed, playing on the AAU circuit is not likely going to help improve your game. Hopefully he took the time which would have been wasted playing sloppy basketball and worked on his individual skills.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I think a drop in rating because a kid didn’t play is irreyto a school that he already committed to.
Not sure what you mean.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Haha sorry. The problem with auto fill. That was irrelevant but I hit “y” instead of the word.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I think a drop in rating because a kid didn’t play is irreyto a school that he already committed to.
He did play in the DeMatha Summer League.
0 x