Red Sox and other Major League Baseball

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Red Sox and other Major League Baseball

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

If the Yanks play .500 ball the rest of the way, they would finish 96-66. Sox would have to go 40-20 the rest of the way to tie, and 41-19 to win outright. I think the division it pretty out of reach. Things can change fast, but have we seen anything to suggest the Red Sox can consistently play .667 baseball? Can this team run off a Giants type run of 17 out of 20?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Sox may have been better served losing the last few games, but at this point they have to go for it. They are too close to blow it up.

If there is one annoying thing about the Sox, it's that they have the longest games this season and it's not even close.

Their AVERAGE time of game is 3:23. Game with a first pitch at 7:10 ends at 10:33 every night. It's TERRIBLE.

It's 15 minutes more than the league average (3:08), which is up four minutes on last season's league average (3:04), a season that featured more extra inning games.
Walks, walks, walks and long counts. Sox starters and relievers have struggled. Thankful for Rodriguez who is 12-4
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s forget about the division it’s all about the wild card baby
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago If the Yanks play .500 ball the rest of the way, they would finish 96-66. Sox would have to go 40-20 the rest of the way to tie, and 41-19 to win outright. I think the division it pretty out of reach. Things can change fast, but have we seen anything to suggest the Red Sox can consistently play .667 baseball? Can this team run off a Giants type run of 17 out of 20?
Red Sox hopes are with the Wild Card.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago The Sox have what seems like endless mound visits every game.

Price is the slowest between pitches of any pitcher in MLB, especially with runners on.

Yeah they can still win a wild card....after the next 12 games we'll know if they have any chance at the division.

The Yankees also go on the road in August to the Dodgers and A's, so nothing is certain yet.

Many teams bullpens are getting overworked.....including the Yanks'. Too many walks.

Many starters don't even get to the 5th inning, more and more often.
Nice 19-3 Red Sox win to start off the 4 game series. Can’t believe how long they let Tanaka in.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Watch us lose 4-3 tonight then should have saved those runs
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When Tanaka is bad he's very bad.

I could see why they left him in....they didn't use any of their better relievers, no need to waste them when the game was out of hand anyway.

Porcello gets great run support when he pitches....others do not.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago When Tanaka is bad he's very bad.

I could see why they left him in....they didn't use any of their better relievers, no need to waste them when the game was out of hand anyway.

Porcello gets great run support when he pitches....others do not.
Rambone,
I don’t see why they left him in because a beating like that can make the pitcher himself hurt physiologically and also bring the team down, plus lift the Red Sox.
I heard that 12 runs was a record for Yankee pitching - no pitcher had ever done that.
I can see leave no a pitcher in, but not that long and for that devastating kind of beating.
Looks like it’s continuing into tonight’s game with 3 runs in the 1st inning.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mookie Betts baby Sox bats on fire
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rodriguez goes for win number 13 at 4pm today. Sale goes Sunday night.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sox win again. Sale goes for the 4 game series sweep against the Yankees tomorrow.
Toronto beats Tampa Bay in extra innings after scoring 2 in 8th and 4 in 9th to tie it (9-9)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Sox are tough all of a sudden.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When the Red Sox get hot at home they can't lose.

Streaky game this baseball. See what happens next weekend in NY.

However Yanks need starting pitching help...they are likely to add the Blue Jays' Stroman though.

Paxton is a joke...he gives up 4 HR and afterwards says he threw the ball well....yeah to the Red Sox!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Red Sox have outscored Yankees 38-13 in the 3 games

Devers another strong game. He is 8-15 in the 3 games with the Yankees.
Devers is now:
- 2nd in Batting Average and closing the gap to 1st
- 1st in Hits
- 2nd in Runs Batted In
- 2nd in Runs Scored
- 3rd in Doubles

And he did not make the AL All Star Team - not even as a Sub

Devers could conceivably win the MVP and not have been an All Star. Has that ever happened in the history of Baseball?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yankees have given up more runs in the 7 game span in the History of the Franchise.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Red Sox have outscored Yankees 38-13 in the 3 games

Devers another strong game. He is 8-15 in the 3 games with the Yankees.
Devers is now:
- 2nd in Batting Average and closing the gap to 1st
- 1st in Hits
- 2nd in Runs Batted In
- 2nd in Runs Scored
- 3rd in Doubles

And he did not make the AL All Star Team - not even as a Sub

Devers could conceivably win the MVP and not have been an All Star. Has that ever happened in the history of Baseball?

https://www.sportingcharts.com/articles ... stars.aspx

Looks like it has happened a few times over the course of MLB history
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I did notice, late in tonight's beat-down, all of the sox position players were guys they drafted - Vazquez, Travis, Chavis, Bogaerts, Devers, Benintendi, Bradley, Betts. Thought that was interesting.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sale's turn to stink it up.

Pitchers are by and large having a rough time of it lately.

German has kept the Yanks afloat...and Rodriguez has for the Sox.

208, that's the key to being good....of course the pitching is largely imported, so to speak.

Like the fact that the Yanks aren't going to give up their top prospects, at least at this point....even if they need pitching...next season that staff is going to look a LOT different though.

CC will be gone...Paxton's a FA...bye bye......Happ could be too. Hello Gerritt Cole, and others.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yanks need to land either Bauer, Minor, or Bumgardner…..otherwise it's an epic fail.

P.S. What are the idiot Mets doing? They get Stroman for basically nothing, and then send Vargas away and get nothing in return.

They are making the football Giants seem like geniuses.

If I was a Mets fan, I would do one of 3 things:

a] slit my wrists
b] jump off a bridge
c] become a Yankee fan
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yanks will add another good starter

Mets are not done making moves
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't know the back story, but on the surface...that Reds pitcher that charged the (opponent's) dugout...I think I want him on my team. That...was something else. I've only seen the replay a couple times, but it looks like he hit the money shot on initial contact solid enough to make it all worth it. Anyone know who that guy was (that got leveled)? He's maybe like a new Robin (on the wrong end) Ventura I mean: There is no place for violence in sports.

ETA: The Sox are in pretty much the same position as the Mets...
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Our starting pitching is just awful
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Stick a fork in them. They are dead. Have under performed all season since day 1. Their production is certainly no where near where it should be for the highest payroll in the sport.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Matt Barnes yet again implodes. Cora yet again leaves Barnes in when it is beyond obvious that Barnes doesn’t have it.
Everyone in the stadium knows Barnes is going to walk the guy with the exception of Cora. Even Barnes knows he is going to walk the guy.
I get Barnes having some bad nights, I don’t get Cora not realizing when Barnes doesn’t have it and just leaves him in beyond logic, the TV announcers question it too.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Our starting pitching is just awful
Sale, Price, Porcello. Three biggest problems with this team, and the three guys making a boatload of cash.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Matt Barnes yet again implodes. Cora yet again leaves Barnes in when it is beyond obvious that Barnes doesn’t have it.
Everyone in the stadium knows Barnes is going to walk the guy with the exception of Cora. Even Barnes knows he is going to walk the guy.
I get Barnes having some bad nights, I don’t get Cora not realizing when Barnes doesn’t have it and just leaves him in beyond logic, the TV announcers question it too.
I heard on the radio that they used him 16 times in July and that was "too much". What??? Guy rarely pitches more than an inning...seems like he should be able to do a couple days on, couple days off...but, apparently not..

Hate to say it, but this is looking like an underachieving mess....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Baseball is a strange game sometimes....

Last season whatever Cora did turned out great...now he's a bum lol...…

Meanwhile whatever Boone does works out...and they keep winning with 10,000 guys on the IL.....

The Yanks' refusal to give away the farm when it comes to trades, is paying off big time this season.

Without that depth, they would be toast. Big difference from when George Steinbrenner was around.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Matt Barnes yet again implodes. Cora yet again leaves Barnes in when it is beyond obvious that Barnes doesn’t have it.
I heard on the radio that they used him 16 times in July and that was "too much". What??? Guy rarely pitches more than an inning...seems like he should be able to do a couple days on, couple days off...but, apparently not..

The entire bullpen has been overworked in my opinion. That's what'll happen when your starters regularly don't pitch into the sixth.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago

The entire bullpen has been overworked in my opinion. That's what'll happen when your starters regularly don't pitch into the sixth.
The Starters have been hugely disappointing. Just look at the last few games for Price, Sale, Rodriguez, Cashner and Porcello:

Price is only (7-5) on the year. On Sunday he pitched 2.2 innings. Gave up 9 hits and 7 ER. 2 BB and 2 HR. In relief Hernandez 1.1 innings with 0 hits. Weber 4.0 innings with 1 hit and no ER. Why does Cora leave Price in so long as to give up 7 ER?

Sale is only (5-11). Terrible year. Saturday Sale 3.2 innings. 9 hits, 8ER, 2HR. In relief Brewer .1, 1 hit, 0 ER. Smith 4.0 innings 1 ER. Again, why does Cora leave Sale in for so long as t give up 8 ER?

Rodriguez (13-5) - where would the Red Sox be without Rodriguez? 6.2 innings, 5 hits, 4 ER but 6 BB. This entire team has a BB problem. But can't find much fault with Rodriguez, he is the only bright light among starting pitching

Cashner (10-6). 5.2 innings. 7 hits, 6 ER, 5 walks. Hernandez .1 innings, 0 ER, Brewer 2.0 innings 1 ER, Hembree 1.0 inning, 1 ER. Cashner gives up 3 ER in the 6th before being pulled. Should Cora and/or the Pitching Coach see this coming sooner? 5 walks means a lot of pitches.

Porcello (9-8). 5.2 innings. 9 hits, 6 ER, 3 HR. Hernandez .1 inning, 0 ER, Hembree 1.0 inning, 2 ER, Taylor 1 inning, 0 ER, Walden 1 inning, 0 ER

Cora leaves the starters in too long for me. He leaves Barnes in far too long when it is obvious to all in the stadium that Barnes doesn't have it. When Barnes is on everyone knows it, when Barnes if off everyone knows it - including Barnes. It does not appear that the Pitching Coach and/or Cora realize when Barnes is off.

I think the Pitching Coach and the Manager have to look in the mirror - and change something.

8 straight losses and counting. Things are not working with the Starting Pitching.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yes, the rotation has been bad. But, I'm sorry, still not sorry...a guy that's 29 years old should be able to pitch an inning every other day (less than 80 innings in a year) day and not have it lead to this kind of breakdown.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago I don't know the back story, but on the surface...that Reds pitcher that charged the (opponent's) dugout...I think I want him on my team. That...was something else. I've only seen the replay a couple times, but it looks like he hit the money shot on initial contact solid enough to make it all worth it. Anyone know who that guy was (that got leveled)? He's maybe like a new Robin (on the wrong end) Ventura I mean: There is no place for violence in sports.

ETA: The Sox are in pretty much the same position as the Mets...
ETAA...
The Mets are in much better shape than the Sox. #GoodtoseefortheMets #SADSox
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Cora leaves the starters in too long for me. He leaves Barnes in far too long when it is obvious to all in the stadium that Barnes doesn't have it. When Barnes is on everyone knows it, when Barnes if off everyone knows it - including Barnes. It does not appear that the Pitching Coach and/or Cora realize when Barnes is off.

I think the Pitching Coach and the Manager have to look in the mirror - and change something.

8 straight losses and counting. Things are not working with the Starting Pitching.
I think Cora is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Who outside of E-Rod and Workman do you trust? He takes the starter (or Barnes) out to bring in Colton Brewer or Marcus Walden? Doesn't leave me brimming with confidence. I think he's hoping that guys like Sale, Price, Porcello, Barnes etc. figure it out because those are four of their best pitchers.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Yes, the rotation has been bad. But, I'm sorry, still not sorry...a guy that's 29 years old should be able to pitch an inning every other day (less than 80 innings in a year) day and not have it lead to this kind of breakdown.
80 good innings a year isn't going to save this team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Cora leaves the starters in too long for me. He leaves Barnes in far too long when it is obvious to all in the stadium that Barnes doesn't have it. When Barnes is on everyone knows it, when Barnes if off everyone knows it - including Barnes. It does not appear that the Pitching Coach and/or Cora realize when Barnes is off.

I think Cora is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Who outside of E-Rod and Workman do you trust? He takes the starter (or Barnes) out to bring in Colton Brewer or Marcus Walden? Doesn't leave me brimming with confidence. I think he's hoping that guys like Sale, Price, Porcello, Barnes etc. figure it out because those are four of their best pitchers.
In the examples I gave the starters gave up 6,7,8 runs. The relievers did much better. Cora is very slow to make decisions. And what’s with so many balls and walks with the bases loaded. The majority of pitchers lack confidence. Never seen pitchers throw so many sliders, curve balls when behind in the count. I’d be looking at a pitching coach change.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

80 good innings a year isn't going to save this team.
No...but, if he could do that...then there would probably be about 50 more 'bright spots'.... I'll take it
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Tonight the Red Sox bullpen tried to lose the game, but hung on......they will likely win some games now, back to playing stiffs.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Boone is just as guilty as Cora when it comes to leaving his starters in too long...case in point last night...he should have pulled Tanaka earlier when it became obvious he was losing it [again]…..

Difference is, this season, just like the Sox last season, the Yankee bats bailed him out, again.

Must be fun for the Yankees to play at Camden Yards...I was there for the Sox-Orioles a couple weeks ago....that place is like hitting in a phone booth lol.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Tonight the Red Sox bullpen tried to lose the game, but hung on......they will likely win some games now, back to playing stiffs.
Rambone,
Porcello pitched a great 6 innings. Just what the Dr ordered for this struggling starting pitching staff
Eovaldi pitched a decent top of 7th giving up a based empty HR to make it 4-2 Boston.
Bottom 7th Sox got 3 more runs to go 7-2

Enter Barnes.
Walks 1st batter - here we go again
Catchers interference - batter awarded 1st base - 2 on none out
Cuthbert goes 3-2 count. Then swings at a ball high and inside well out of the strike zone that was easily ball 4 but bails Barnes out
Fly out to center
Then 3 run HR by Starling
Sox 7-5 and they hold on to win
Barnes can thrown consistently 95-96 mph but really struggling with control and confidence
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Only way Sox get back in the wild card chase is if they go on a long winning streak, and then don't give it back.....they have really struggled against good teams this season.

They have had too many instances of one step forward, two steps back.....imagine if they had the Yankees' injury issues?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Boone is just as guilty as Cora when it comes to leaving his starters in too long...case in point last night...he should have pulled Tanaka earlier when it became obvious he was losing it [again]…..

Difference is, this season, just like the Sox last season, the Yankee bats bailed him out, again.

Must be fun for the Yankees to play at Camden Yards...I was there for the Sox-Orioles a couple weeks ago....that place is like hitting in a phone booth lol.
I went to a game there many many years ago. Mark McGwire hit a 'roid shot into the left field stands that I swear never got 20 feet off the ground...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sox lose to KC....really looks like they are making their tee times for October.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm not sure I've dvr'd enough concerts and Late Night with Jools Holland shows to cover the rest of the season...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have now shifted gears and focusing on the NFL and the Pats
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Does Davis make iit the rest of the season? There's no way he's playing next year, is he?

0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Does Davis make iit the rest of the season? There's no way he's playing next year, is he?

Unless the Orioles are willing to light the remaining $69 Million left on his deal on fire, then Chris Davis isn't going anywhere. I'd be curious as to what was said though
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Shaolin Swat wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Does Davis make iit the rest of the season? There's no way he's playing next year, is he?

Unless the Orioles are willing to light the remaining $69 Million left on his deal on fire, then Chris Davis isn't going anywhere. I'd be curious as to what was said though
So would I. Can they seriously carry that another year?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Boy the Orioles stink and now they are fighting amongst themselves
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The Davis contract is what they call a sunk cost - Pretty much no chance you're going to get any return on the investment, so you might as well swallow hard and cut him, because pretty much anyone else as a 25th man is going to give you more.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

How 'bout those Amazin's?
0 x