2019-20 Women's Basketball

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2019-20 Women's Basketball

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

With a new coach, it's time to look forward to a brighter future, the athletic department has already done that by publishing the new roster, so we might as well start a new thread, because with only nine players on the team and most of the staff still to be built there should be plenty of news.

http://gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/2019-20/roster

Some of the class years seem accurate and some don't seem to have progressed from last year, so take that information with a grain of salt. We seem to have lost four players that still had eligibility left: Elemy Colome, Laura Perez, Gabrielle Green, and Kasey Gagan. Interestingly, Marcus Reilly is still listed as Associate Head Coach. No other assistants are listed.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Re: 2019-20 Women's Basketball

Unread post by Narr9999 »

Abby has announced that she was leaving, but she is still listed. Did she change her mind? I hope so
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

One thing I thought of last night that I found interesting, yet no one has mentioned so far is that during her time at Syracuse Reiss is said to have worked closely with the guards, one of whom is Davida Dale, who transferred here after spending two seasons at Syracuse. The first season she redshirted, the second she only played in ten games, so she probably transferred more for playing time than any issue with Reiss. I think it will be good to have someone that played for Reiss before helping with the transition
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Coach Reiss told me that Davida left over playing time....there were no negative issues between them

...Coach also said that she hoped to have her coaching staff in place around May 1....something about job posting rules...
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Thorr always keeps an assistant on for transition purposes. He doesn't promise they'll get to stay but he does recommend them to the new coach. See: Preston Murphy.
Davida has a lot of room to get better.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

There is so much that we don’t know and you folks would be shocked if you did. In the end, it usually all comes out in the wash. Good or Bad you can be sure.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

All In....you say that we don't know the extent of the turmoil....do you include yourself in we? Should it have been that we other than you?

All I knew was the head-scratching personnel decisions and the constant exodus of players before their eligibility expired.....that was enough for me to base my decision
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

I heard that Marcus Reilly was let go this week and Cory Macchioni will remain on staff as the DOBO
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Based on the text of the tweet and women's basketball retweeting it, we've kept at least one of the recruits

1 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SorrynotSorry »

I do not think the new roster is accurate streeter is still listed in transfer portal and rumblings are 2 more are waiting for waivers as far as dale take a look at Syracuse record she sat No one is saying why take a guess.....
0 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

SorrynotSorry wrote: 5 years ago I do not think the new roster is accurate streeter is still listed in transfer portal and rumblings are 2 more are waiting for waivers as far as dale take a look at Syracuse record she sat No one is saying why take a guess.....
Good riddance to all and especially the deposed coaching staff. Out with the old , in with the new! Just wish it could happen sooner. So excited to see Tammy and her staff clean house and put things in order the way it should have been.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All In wrote: 5 years ago
SorrynotSorry wrote: 5 years ago I do not think the new roster is accurate streeter is still listed in transfer portal and rumblings are 2 more are waiting for waivers as far as dale take a look at Syracuse record she sat No one is saying why take a guess.....
Good riddance to all and especially the deposed coaching staff. Out with the old , in with the new! Just wish it could happen sooner. So excited to see Tammy and her staff clean house and put things in order the way it should have been.
That’s the shame of it All In. Some of us saw it , knew it, heard of it but it took 5 years.
Onward and upward.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The release announcing and describing the two new players

https://gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/201 ... 0521ljrt9l
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 more players added to URI WBB bringing roster to 14 with 7 new players

Freshman Haby Niang from France can play immediately while another Syracuse Transfer will have to sit out a year.

https://gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/201 ... 0610jatqxm

Updated Roster
https://gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/2019-20/roster
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Since Vorackova didn't play at all as a freshman I would think she could get that year of eligibility back.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree with you Iggy, but he GoRhody article says she must sit out. Hopefully she is eligible to play this year

Rhode Island head coach Tammi Reiss announced the addition of Haby Niang and Veronika Vorackova to the women's basketball roster. Niang, a native of France, will be a true freshman for the 2019-20 season. Vorackova, a transfer from Syracuse, will sit the upcoming season due to NCAA transfer rules.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Excellent addition to the Coaching Staff so now we are fully staffed

https://gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/201 ... 0620mesa6b

Zoll-Norman spent the last two seasons as an assistant coach with one of the top AAU programs, the Philadelphia Belles. There she helped the team in scouting reports, practice planning, player development, and team recruiting.
"I can't tell you how happy I am to have Sharnee join our Ram coaching staff," Reiss said. "Sharnee has performed at the highest level her entire career. She will be an incredible role model and mentor to our student-athletes. She is exactly who I want teaching our point guards how to play the game. I think we got lucky she decided to retire from playing professionally when she did. It was perfect timing."
Zoll-Norman comes to Rhode Island with 11 years of international playing experience, and three years in the WNBA. Most recently, she was playing in Poland with the team InvestInTheWest AZS Gorzow.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Impressive job by Reiss in pulling a staff and team together.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Syracuse star player with health issue. Prayers to her and her family. Tammi would know her well.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... ast-cancer
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great to see URI staff on the road recruiting this summer.

1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Dolly Cairns is a player. I watched some highlights on her from this past season. This girl can shoot.
1 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Tom98 wrote: 4 years ago Dolly Cairns is a player. I watched some highlights on her from this past season. This girl can shoot.
Playing in high school and then playing at the mid major d1 level are two completely different things.
0 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

All In wrote: 4 years ago
Tom98 wrote: 4 years ago Dolly Cairns is a player. I watched some highlights on her from this past season. This girl can shoot.
Playing in high school and then playing at the mid major d1 level are two completely different things.
This girl can play in the A-10 and be a good scorer for the team. Relatives live up there and have seen her play against good teams
0 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Observation: after the hiring of Tammy Reiss and her putting together an outstanding staff, consider the previous culture of women’s basketball under Darth Dania , CHANGED!!! from the get go! How exciting this is going to be for URI with a real coach who knows what it takes to win and build a program!
3 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

Let's pump the breaks. She hasn't coached a game yet...
2 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

URI_IEP wrote: 4 years ago Let's pump the breaks. She hasn't coached a game yet...
You can tell a lot about a book by its cover. She strikes me as a “do your job “ no nonsense or bs, my way or the highway type coach! Darth Dania played favorites was all fluff no substance, let her pets do whatever they wanted to do, no discipline, no coaching, no nothing! They are polar opposites. With the moves Tammy has made and what’s transpired so far I would bet the house on this coach! She has a plan!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great hire no doubt she turns this around
1 x
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

Any news on the team? Follow social media a little bit and looks like they have been practicing about 2 weeks now. I know some on here have an inside track on the program. I was told from a buddy who attended the season ticket holder event that Veronika Vorackova could be a program changer.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Circle November 7 vs LIU @7pm as the first game and its at the Ryan Center. Only a month away

Currently there are writeups about individual players on Twitter that are well done.

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyMadness072 wrote: 4 years ago Any news on the team? Follow social media a little bit and looks like they have been practicing about 2 weeks now. I know some on here have an inside track on the program. I was told from a buddy who attended the season ticket holder event that Veronika Vorackova could be a program changer.

Vorackova must sit out this season due to NCAA transfer rules.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI Wednesday October 16 at 2pm!!

Today!!!!

2pm!!

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.d ... =211813884
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In place of a traditional media day, the Atlantic 10 is showcasing its 14 women's basketball programs with digital features leading up to the season, which begins on Nov. 7. Rhode Island's media day features sit-down interviews with head coach Tammi Reiss and seniors Davida Dale and Nicole Jorgensen hosted by GoRhody.com's Stone Freeman.

The Rams open their season officially on Thursday Nov. 7, hosting LIU at 7:00 p.m.

The #A10WBBTipOff will run through Oct. 22 with two schools featured each day, and will conclude with the Preseason Poll on Oct. 29 and the Preseason All-Conference teams on Oct. 31
0 x
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

Very impressed with what I saw from the women tonight. They look a lot more comfortable under Reiss. The two transfers from Syracuse have waivers in which would be a significant boost. Niang & Clark were on the bench with injuries. Vargas shot the ball well in the 3 point contest. Jorgensen dominated in the scrimmage. Time will tell but Thorr looks to have hit a home run with this hire. La-Force not even on her level.
2 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Re: 2019-20 Women's Basketball vs PC

Hey not that it is a big deal but how come URI is not playing PC this year? I as a long time URI mens season ticket holder and graduate, am very excited about the women's program and coach Reiss. I went to a good few games last year with my daughters and they loved it, even thou they weren't good and the place was nearly empty. I plan on going to a good few games this year.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2019-20 Women's Basketball vs PC

Unread post by ramster »

Narr9999 wrote: 4 years ago Hey not that it is a big deal but how come URI is not playing PC this year? I as a long time URI mens season ticket holder and graduate, am very excited about the women's program and coach Reiss. I went to a good few games last year with my daughters and they loved it, even thou they weren't good and the place was nearly empty. I plan on going to a good few games this year.
Each year we have the Ocean State Tip Off Tournament. It’s location moves each year. This year it is hosted by Bryant. Bryant, Brown PC and URI play a 4 team tournament.

Another highlight of the non-conference slate includes the Ocean State Tip-Off Tournament.

Rhody looks to defend its title at the annual tournament featuring all four NCAA Division I teams in the state of Rhode Island. The two-day tournament hosted by Bryant begins Dec. 7 as Rhody opens play against Brown, and will then faces either Bryant or Providence on Sunday, Dec. 8.
1 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Here we gooooooooooooo!!!!’
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Starters tonight
Jorgensen
Dale
Moffitt
Jones
Vargas
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Watching the game vs LIU right now, team is looking good. Currently up 22. Keep it going!
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

79-56 win. Good start.

Reiss is going to turn things around.

What a difference a good coach makes.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Congrats ladies!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LIU picked preseason to finish 8th among 11 teams in the NEC so can’t draw many conclusions from this win

22 assists was good as most assists in any game last year was 17

Jorgensen with 29 points so good to see her getting off to a good start to her Senior Season
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

good start!!! lets keep it going. Congrats to the Ladies!!!
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There will definitely be an improvement in the W-L record, but the real gains will come in the next couple of years after this one.

A .500 record or better might be tough to achieve this season, but maybe by next year?

A top half A10 team by then?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Great effort by the Women.....Great coach and great assistants....it was a pleasure to be there for the start of a new era....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

A better women’s program only helps this school so great to see a solid start.
1 x
GO RAMS