2019 Offseason Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2019 Offseason Discussion

Unread post by ace »

Getting closer... Most importantly, this is what’s reflected when you move through the site. It would be nice to have a different article than the Mading transfer as the most recent one that pops up.

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2019-20/roster

Dropped Ty’s name with the quickness once that leaked, compared to past revisions. Heights listed on basketball rosters continue to be wonderful works of fiction. There’s enough scholarships to float one to Eric, but that wouldn’t be my preference (no offense to Eric).
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Cyril becoming a rapper is my favorite off-season development.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago Cyril becoming a rapper is my favorite off-season development.
Oh by far, its not even close. I'm even willing to forgive the haircut at this point.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago Cyril becoming a rapper is my favorite off-season development.
Oh by far, its not even close. I'm even willing to forgive the haircut at this point.
👏🏼
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Does anyone else find it unusual that Sheppard is the only player on the recently updated roster on gorhody.com without a jersey number assigned? He has worn jersey #2 in the past which is available.

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone else find it unusual that Sheppard is the only player on the recently updated roster on gorhody.com without a jersey number assigned? He has worn jersey #2 in the past which is available.

Has to be something nefarious....fer sure...
2 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone else find it unusual that Sheppard is the only player on the recently updated roster on gorhody.com without a jersey number assigned? He has worn jersey #2 in the past which is available.

Has to be something nefarious....fer sure...
I'm paranoid so now you got me thinking about it.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

83 does it again LOL.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago 83 does it again LOL.
I do it so you have something to respond to DC :) :D
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago 83 does it again LOL.
I do it so you have something to respond to DC :) :D
:D

I believe that! :D
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Mark it down. Fatts and Sheppard in the cage on the 4th of July for the rights to wear number 1 for the next two years. You heard it hear first, not from the false prognosticators who frequent this board.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

His number was #2
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He did wear #1 at EC
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Fatts waited a year for that #1... he’s not giving it up now!
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts checks in at #19

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This is from the list that Katz wrote up that was posted earlier.

Kind of a brutal write-up, though. Damn.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Fatt's needs to put some work into his game.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Horrible list
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You would think there are NCAA rules against this. Cooley has his entire starting five on the USA team for the summer Pan Am games. It’s a Big East All Star team and five PC players made it. They get to practice and play with their HC for extended time in the summer.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Looks like Sheppard is #2 based on Devale’s IG post from the locker room today.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago

Good catch. I figured he would be #2. Still leaves the question on why he has no number on gorhody.com
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago

Good catch. I figured he would be #2. Still leaves the question on why he has no number on gorhody.com
It's probably whoever entered his name into the CMS GoRhody.com uses didn't know what number he was using or maybe just forgot?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It is ridiculous to call this “Team USA”. It is a team of players selected by the PC Coach from SOME of the Big East teams (several BE teams have summer trips this year and their players weren’t eligible). Do they really think 7-11 PC would land 5 players on Team USA let alone a real Big East All Star team.

1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Pipkins? Really?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jeff Dowtin is much better than both Pipkins and Duke.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Pipkins? Really?
Cooley has his entire starting five on the team. This gives Pipkins more practices and games to get use to playing with the other four. Apparently Cooley can blatantly use this “Pan Am” team to prepare PC for the season. Cooley picked the team - surprise.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

SeemsLegit.jpg
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Typical Pee Cee mentality.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If our coach could do the same thing...and it was legal...and it would help the team (how could it not?), I'd say: "Sign. Us. Up."
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Saw a commercial on NESN during the Sox game for Rhody MBB season tickets. Announcing was dry but good to see efforts being made to get people to games.
1 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago If our coach could do the same thing...and it was legal...and it would help the team (how could it not?), I'd say: "Sign. Us. Up."
Someone with common sense, thank you.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

People act like the players show up on September 1st and have never seen each other before. Pipkins has been on campus since he left UMASS. He has spent a lot of time with his teammates. They have been working out and scrimmaging with former Friars like Kris Dunn, Ladontae Henton, and Rodney Bullock as well as with each other. Pretty much the entire roster has been on campus for the last week. Any advantage is not nearly as dramatic as some are making it out to be.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago People act like the players show up on September 1st and have never seen each other before. Pipkins has been on campus since he left UMASS. He has spent a lot of time with his teammates. They have been working out and scrimmaging with former Friars like Kris Dunn, Ladontae Henton, and Rodney Bullock as well as with each other. Pretty much the entire roster has been on campus for the last week. Any advantage is not nearly as dramatic as some are making it out to be.
We know that the players arrive late May/early June. We also know that the NCAA limits practice time in the summer with the coaching staff to 8 hours per week for 8 weeks. Not an hour more. The practice time is important. PC now gets more practice time and games for its starting five. Why do you think the coaches want the overseas trip every four years (as limited by the NCAA)? It’s because that game time is valuable to evaluate where the team is and what they need to work on when the start official practice in the Fall. PC just got another trip in back to back years. The scrimmage time and shooting is something all college players do on campus and back at home. Ask the HC how valuable that is - nothing like time with the staff.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody1992 wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago If our coach could do the same thing...and it was legal...and it would help the team (how could it not?), I'd say: "Sign. Us. Up."
No kidding. The A10 doesn’t have someone like Dan Gavitt to get them a summer all star tournament for their league. Another slanted advantage for the top conferences. Edit - I stand corrected, the last Pan Am games was in 2015 and the team was a mix of pros & college players.
Last edited by Rhody83 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

So the question is, why is a supposed American team or a Team USA in an international tournament limited to all stars from one conference and not the best of the best throughout the land?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

“Common sense,” says the PC fan with a Rhody handle.

Willard, Cooley, and Mike Martin will lead this squad-

Myles Powell (Seton Hall)
Myles Cale (Seton Hall)

Mustapha Heron (St. John’s)

Jermaine Samuels (Villanova)
Colin Gillespie (Villanova)

Ty-Shon Alexander (Creighton)
*Geoffrey Groselle (Creighton)

*Tyler Wideman (Butler)
*Sean McDermott (Butler)

*Greg Malinkowski (Georgetown)

AJ Reeves
Luwane Pipkins
Nate Watson
David Duke
Alpha Diallo

I wonder which conference will get the next one.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

No kidding. The A10 doesn’t have someone like Dan Gavitt to get them a summer all star tournament for their league. Another slanted advantage for the top conferences. The Big Ten had the Pan Am team last year.
It has nothing to do with Dan Gavitt. Ed Cooley has put in a ton of time with the US National Program. He was an assistant from 13-15 and he has been serving as a member of the USA Basketball Junior National Team committee since 2017. Secondly, you are clearly just spewing nonsense. The Pan-Am games were last held in 2015, making it impossible for the Big Ten to have participated last year. Maybe they participated in some different USA basketball event, but it wasn’t the Pan Am. Lastly, who knows why USA Basketball selected one conference to represent them in this tournament, but they fielded proposals from all conferences looking to participate and took what they deemed was the best one.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago People act like the players show up on September 1st and have never seen each other before. Pipkins has been on campus since he left UMASS. He has spent a lot of time with his teammates. They have been working out and scrimmaging with former Friars like Kris Dunn, Ladontae Henton, and Rodney Bullock as well as with each other. Pretty much the entire roster has been on campus for the last week. Any advantage is not nearly as dramatic as some are making it out to be.
Regardless of the advantage, no matter how small (or not), It'd actually be more wtf-worthy if the coach didn't get as many of his guys as he could...

Is scrimmaging with Kris Dunn legal? ;)
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

No kidding. The A10 doesn’t have someone like Dan Gavitt to get them a summer all star tournament for their league. Another slanted advantage for the top conferences. The Big Ten had the Pan Am team last year.
It has nothing to do with Dan Gavitt. Ed Cooley has put in a ton of time with the US National Program. He was an assistant from 13-15 and he has been serving as a member of the USA Basketball Junior National Team committee since 2017. Secondly, you are clearly just spewing nonsense. The Pan-Am games were last held in 2015, making it impossible for the Big Ten to have participated last year. Maybe they participated in some different USA basketball event, but it wasn’t the Pan Am. Lastly, who knows why USA Basketball selected one conference to represent them in this tournament, but they fielded proposals from all conferences looking to participate and took what they deemed was the best one.
I corrected/edited the B10 reference about a minute after my original post. The NCAA recommended its selection to USA Basketball for approval. Dan Gavitt is Sr Vice President for Mens Basketball for the NCAA. He has been in that role for 7 years. He was previously Associate Commissioner for Mens Basketball for the Big East Conference. This is the first time a conference has been selected to represent the USA in a basketball event.

From USA Basketball Press Release:
Earlier this fall, NCAA Division I conferences were offered the opportunity to apply to participate in the Games, with the NCAA then recommending its selection to USA Basketball for approval. NCAA officials and USA Basketball had decided previously that, for the first time, an all-star team from a single conference would represent the United States in the 2019 Games.

Btw, amazing that five players from PC made the Big East “all star” team. Including a guy who hasn’t played one game in the Big Eadt yet.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ace wrote: 4 years ago “Common sense,” says the PC fan with a Rhody handle
At least RJ and the few other obvious Friar fans here wear their Friar avatar with pride.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago
At least RJ and the few other obvious Friar fans here wear their Friar avatar with pride.
Rhody1992 is a PC fan. LMAO. No balls.
I have been worried since that post about my lack of common sense 😜
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ok, let's stop ranking on 1992...after all, what he called common sense...really is...common sense.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Beautiful
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ok, let's stop ranking on 1992...after all, what he called common sense...really is...common sense.
I took his and now your common sense post as a direct shot at me. Since it was a response to my post. My “ranking” is warranted.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

Beautiful
Looks like an improvement tbh.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And with a very clear bias
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Beautiful
Does this Rose Hill Gym project qualify as an archaeological dig?
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Beautiful
VERY well played. Been there once..it's old...I loved it.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Beautiful
VERY well played. Been there once..it's old...I loved it.
Based on what I’ve heard from those I know who have been there, I feel like I can smell the chlorine from here.
0 x