Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: Asst. Coach Posting ?

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I agree. Maybe their hands are tied because of the Carroll situation for one of the assistant positions. But there's no excuse to not have the other one filled. Unless TJ is going to fill one of the spots, I would hope at least one assistant will be hired and named very soon.
Once again, you all are assuming, based on ZERO knowledge the time line of events that took place, what happened and when it happened. It’s too much that people DO NOT KNOW. It’s not fair to levy blame when the only reasons this forum has are purely speculative.

I know that the premise of message boards is generate hype, hate, Pride, or rhetoric, but I think now it’s bordering irresponsible. Folks getting worked up over nothing or because they are stomping their feet seeking information that they will never gain access to.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

How I picture DC Rams posts....

4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

STC wrote: 4 years ago How I picture DC Rams posts....

hilarious.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I agree. Maybe their hands are tied because of the Carroll situation for one of the assistant positions. But there's no excuse to not have the other one filled. Unless TJ is going to fill one of the spots, I would hope at least one assistant will be hired and named very soon.
Once again, you all are assuming, based on ZERO knowledge the time line of events that took place, what happened and when it happened. It’s too much that people DO NOT KNOW. It’s not fair to levy blame when the only reasons this forum has are purely speculative.

I know that the premise of message boards is generate hype, hate, Pride, or rhetoric, but I think now it’s bordering irresponsible. Folks getting worked up over nothing or because they are stomping their feet seeking information that they will never gain access to.
Messageboard gold....don't be trying to eliminate it!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I hope they hire an Assistant by July 1st. Anything else is an excuse that they can’t explain to their customers. DC Rams I respect your input. You have a close relationship with Cox and that sways your opinion about certain subjects. I understand that. I would probably do the same. It doesn’t make the response to any critical comments “you don’t know the details and never will” correct or acceptable. I am sure sometimes it is correct and sometimes it isn’t.

Yours Truly,
URI Basketball Customers
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I hope they hire an Assistant by July 1st. Anything else is an excuse that they can’t explain to their customers. DC Rams I respect your input. You have a close relationship with Cox and that sways your opinion about certain subjects. I understand that. I would probably do the same. It doesn’t make the response to any critical comments “you don’t know the details and never will” correct or acceptable. I am sure sometimes it is correct and sometimes it isn’t.

Yours Truly,
URI Basketball Customers
I’m close to the program in general and I don’t know a damn thing and won’t force myself to believe propaganda. Continue to do what you guys do. No hard feelings 83, we can agree to disagree.
2 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

While keeping the exact issue confidential, I'll say this:
Ty's "2nd issue" happened prior to the season. Supposedly he was on leave in Oct for said issue. Someone has dropped the ball on this entire situation. If Thorr knew he wanted Ty gone once this issue occurred it should have been stated to all parties, at worst, by the end of the season. That did not happen.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI's reluctance to fire people until contracts run out, hamstrings the entire operation especially in this case...….probably due to legal concerns again?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago URI's reluctance to fire people until contracts run out, hamstrings the entire operation especially in this case...….probably due to legal concerns again?
You should factor in money as well - the employee's salary and any legal costs that would be required.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Dre3000 wrote: 4 years ago While keeping the exact issue confidential, I'll say this:
Ty's "2nd issue" happened prior to the season. Supposedly he was on leave in Oct for said issue. Someone has dropped the ball on this entire situation. If Thorr knew he wanted Ty gone once this issue occurred it should have been stated to all parties, at worst, by the end of the season. That did not happen.
What was he not fulfilling his janitorial duties?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Dre3000 wrote: 4 years ago While keeping the exact issue confidential, I'll say this:
You mean Thorr, right?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
You mean Thorr, right?
Haha. For those that don’t recall, when Ty was arrested he told them his job was a janitor at URI.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

You mean Thorr, right?
Haha. For those that don’t recall, when Ty was arrested he told them his job was a janitor at URI.
Haha haha! I missed that part of the story myself
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You mean Thorr, right?
...and I was thinking...maybe Thorr still had (has?) some cleanup to do...?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So this is something that happened months ago that could have been better planned for? Did Cox want to retain him but Thorr said no? Some seemed to be saying that the “issue” was recent and forced their hand, which lead to the uncertainty or delay in making a new hire or hires. Someone (or some ones) needs to improve their communication skills in that department.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

You mean Thorr, right?
It’s “sanitation engineer” now, right!? 😂
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago
So this is something that happened months ago that could have been better planned for? Did Cox want to retain him but Thorr said no? Some seemed to be saying that the “issue” was recent and forced their hand, which lead to the uncertainty or delay in making a new hire or hires. Someone (or some ones) needs to improve their communication skills in that department.
Anyone saying this was a recent issue either, a) don't know what they're talking about, or b) are trying to cover things up. Boswell was not on the bench for the Pace game due to being on paid leave at the time. Here's the pictures from that game https://sports.photobyfriday.com/Sports ... n/URI-Pace and trust me he was NOT out recruiting.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dre3000 wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago
Anyone saying this was a recent issue either, a) don't know what they're talking about, or b) are trying to cover things up. Boswell was not on the bench for the Pace game due to being on paid leave at the time. Here's the pictures from that game https://sports.photobyfriday.com/Sports ... n/URI-Pace and trust me he was NOT out recruiting.
Billyboy asked where Ty was during that Pace game (on page 2), but no one answered him.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... e&start=50

Situations evolve, and I have no issue if the decision makers decided it was no longer in their best interest to have the university employ him. But, the assertion that he’s some bad guy “who wasn’t properly vetted before his hiring” doesn’t exactly ring true when Cox worked with him for two years and then retained him on his own staff. Regardless of how or why this all went down or whether the coach wanted his staff members retained or not, it needs to be resolved. It can be exciting to bring in new coaches and see what they can offer, but it’s a time suck. At this time a year ago, with a new head coach, the staff had been finalized and working for a month already.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

10 months of Assistant Coach man hours lost in the last 13 months. Currently increasing the cumulative time lost with two coaches missing right now.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Asst. Coach Posting?

Unread post by Rhody83 »

One of the changes to the recruiting process was to add two recruiting weekends (next two weekends). These are non-AAU events that are sanctioned by the National Federation of State High School Coaches Associations. There are many events spread out all over the place. It would be helpful to have the HC and three Assistants for each of these weekends.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

How did he do that?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago How did he do that?
Private institutions aren't inhibited by state government red tape?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

T.J. lands Devale...
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Promote TJ!
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years agoPromote TJ!
Time to hire TJ as an Assistant Coach. He is also the lead recruit on Bo Montgomery (TN). He has taken over recruiting for all the territories Ty was covering. He has a powerful message as a former URI player.
He proved to be the best Scout on the staff last year.
If Cox was ok with Ty as an assistant with only recruiting responsibilities, how can he have an issue with TJ as Scout and recruiting? I am sure TJ can also contribute in player development. He was a D1 player after all. Hire the up and comer. He could be a long time assistant as his alma mater.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I've been saying this for a while now....agree with all of the above......hire him!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I was skeptical about TJ being ready to step up but it now it appears he is!!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I've been saying this for a while now....agree with all of the above......hire him!
Totally onboard with this!

See could definitely see a difference with preparation/in-game performance when TJ took over the scouting
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I guess I'll be the outlier here again, but I'd still like to see us hire someone with more experience. Love TJ, and want him associated with our program in some fashion if possible, but more of a proven track record at this point would be my preference. It would be different if he would be joining a well established staff that was already in place and coming on as the final piece. But we still need a top assistant. If it ends up being TJ and somebody else coming on, then I'll reserve my judgement until we see who that other person is I guess.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I kind of agree with Adam and will go one step further: if we are definitely hiring two assistants I would love for one to be TJ if the other one can be more like what Cox was for Dan. I think TJ would be excellent as the 3rd assistant and I could easily see him eventually having a long and successful career in coaching. But at this point, if we are only going to have a 3 man staff while the Carroll situation works itself out, I feel like it is a huge risk to have one of the two assistants on staff be in his first assistant coaching job (and then also having to hire a new DBO, which isn’t a huge deal but it’s just another position where you are backsliding in terms of experience).
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I guess I'll be the outlier here again, but I'd still like to see us hire someone with more experience. Love TJ, and want him associated with our program in some fashion if possible, but more of a proven track record at this point would be my preference. It would be different if he would be joining a well established staff that was already in place and coming on as the final piece. But we still need a top assistant. If it ends up being TJ and somebody else coming on, then I'll reserve my judgement until we see who that other person is I guess.
First, the top assistant is Sutton. He has all that experience you want and was/will be by far the highest paid assistant on staff. He filled the spot Cox had. Carroll also has a ton of experience. Where you ok if Ty stayed on as an assistant (because Cox was last year)? How much experience did Ty have? This will be TJ’s last year as DBO. He will either get an assistant coaching position at URI or will be hired away next year. So the I love TJ and want him to stay at URI doesn’t work unless he gets promoted.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I kind of agree with Adam and will go one step further: if we are definitely hiring two assistants I would love for one to be TJ if the other one can be more like what Cox was for Dan. I think TJ would be excellent as the 3rd assistant and I could easily see him eventually having a long and successful career in coaching. But at this point, if we are only going to have a 3 man staff while the Carroll situation works itself out, I feel like it is a huge risk to have one of the two assistants on staff be in his first assistant coaching job (and then also having to hire a new DBO, which isn’t a huge deal but it’s just another position where you are backsliding in terms of experience).
Yep, exactly. Completely agree with this. The bold part is pretty much exactly what it boils down to for me.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I guess I'll be the outlier here again, but I'd still like to see us hire someone with more experience. Love TJ, and want him associated with our program in some fashion if possible, but more of a proven track record at this point would be my preference. It would be different if he would be joining a well established staff that was already in place and coming on as the final piece. But we still need a top assistant. If it ends up being TJ and somebody else coming on, then I'll reserve my judgement until we see who that other person is I guess.
First, the top assistant is Sutton. He has all that experience you want and was/will be by far the highest paid assistant on staff. He filled the spot Cox had. Carroll also has a ton of experience. Where you ok if Ty stayed on as an assistant (because Cox was last year)? How much experience did Ty have? This will be TJ’s last year as DBO. He will either get an assistant coaching position at URI or will be hired away next year. So the I love TJ and want him to stay at URI doesn’t work unless he gets promoted.
My point is I don't think Sutton should be the top assistant. I think we need a new top assistant. Yes I was ok if Ty stayed on as an assistant, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything we are discussing. Ty did not have college experience when he came on originally but he did have connections and that's why he was hired.

And again, I am fine with TJ being promoted if that is one of two moves we are making and the second move is for someone with more college coaching experience.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Why doesn’t Greg St. Jean have a job yet? Or does he, and I missed it.

Nice to see Tray Woodall get the job at Bona. I’m obviously biased, but I think that’s a good hire.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I, personally, was not happy with the staff overall last year and I said as much during the season. I wasn’t and am not advocating for a full flushing of the staff a la UMass, but I was hoping for some turnover. It’s hard as an outsider to say for sure exactly what assistants are doing well and where they are falling short, but I didn’t feel Cox got enough from his assistants in general. So I wouldn’t have been happy if Ty and Carroll and Sutton all came back. If Sutton is the first chair and makes the most money now, it doesn’t mean that you cannot bring in a guy at or above his level. There should be money in the coaching pool to hire someone that can improve the overall quality of the staff, and I think TJ in combination with someone like that would be good. I think just hiring TJ and saving a spot for Carroll leaves URI both shorthanded and low on experience. And I don’t really care how TJ compares to Ty; I wasn’t ever a Ty stan and am not upset he was let go. Ty definitely should not have been a #2 assistant, and neither should TJ at this point in either of their careers.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
My point is I don't think Sutton should be the top assistant. I think we need a new top assistant. Yes I was ok if Ty stayed on as an assistant, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything we are discussing. Ty did not have college experience when he came on originally but he did have connections and that's why he was hired.

And again, I am fine with TJ being promoted if that is one of two moves we are making and the second move is for someone with more college coaching experience.
So this point of wanting a new hire to be what Cox was for Dan isn’t happening. What you are really saying is you want Cox to fire his one Assistant Coach that is on staff and replace him with a top assistant. That is not happening either! Sutton is the #1 assistant. There are many post on the Board that the assistant coaches’ salary pool ($435,000 for FY 2019) isn’t enough. It isn’t going to see a significant increase this year. Sutton makes $179,000, Carroll makes $113,000 and Boswell made $143,000.

They need to resolve the Carroll situation. He is either healthy and resumes his role or they are allowed to replace him. If they hire TJ as the 3rd assistant that would free up money to spend on the second assistant if they replace Carroll. I think TJ would be hired at under $100,000. TJ has been an acting assistant coach for 6+ months now (last summer and since Feb this year).

The question about being happy with Ty was to point out that TJ would be replacing Ty (not Sutton or Carroll). And that TJ has more coaching skills than Ty.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One thing we know about TJ, he's a smart, hard working guy. No, he doesn't have a lot of experience yet. But we know he has done both recruiting and scout. Although it's a small sample size, he seems to have been pretty successful at both so far. If Cox sees him as an up and comer and a quick learner, I say hire him.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m switching hats now. I’m am officially OK if Cox hires on TJ. If he’s hungry and is a go-getter, he will do whatever it takes to make a name not only for himself, but what the university represents.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago So this point of wanting a new hire to be what Cox was for Dan isn’t happening. What you are really saying is you want Cox to fire his one Assistant Coach that is on staff and replace him with a top assistant. That is not happening either! Sutton is the #1 assistant. There are many post on the Board that the assistant coaches’ salary pool ($435,000 for FY 2019) isn’t enough. It isn’t going to see a significant increase this year. Sutton makes $179,000, Carroll makes $113,000 and Boswell made $143,000.

They need to resolve the Carroll situation. He is either healthy and resumes his role or they are allowed to replace him. If they hire TJ as the 3rd assistant that would free up money to spend on the second assistant if they replace Carroll. I think TJ would be hired at under $100,000. TJ has been an acting assistant coach for 6+ months now (last summer and since Feb this year).

The question about being happy with Ty was to point out that TJ would be replacing Ty (not Sutton or Carroll). And that TJ has more coaching skills than Ty.
I'm not saying I want him to fire anybody. I am saying I don't think Sutton should be our top assistant. Using your numbers if they hire TJ for under $100k, that should leave about 50k to go towards Ty's old salary and bring it to about $193k. Hire your top assistant that is a more experienced college coach for $193k, keep Sutton where he is and give TJ the ~$100k figure and you can factor in Carroll's old salary to. Now where do I sign up for the AD position? :lol:
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I’m switching hats now. I’m am officially OK if Cox hires on TJ. If he’s hungry and is a go-getter, he will do whatever it takes to make a name not only for himself, but what the university represents.
If the one man David Cox PR firm is on board and changing his tune that means its likely happening so he is getting out in front of it now. :)
3 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I’m of the thinking that Cox will make the right choice with TJ. Cox knows what it takes to effectively recruit and be an assistant coach. If he sees that TJ has what it takes then keep him. If he wants/needs something else I’m fine with that also. I’d just like slots to be filled and roles to be set so that the current staff can focus on what they need to.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Let’s pump the brakes on TJ just a bit here. We’re acting like he was the lead on a Top 100 recruit. He was the lead on a guy who wasn’t even a Top 100 JUCO and ideally won’t get off the bench this year.

I’ll give him credit for being the lead and closing the deal, but let’s remember he beat out powerhouses like Nichols State, Wagner and Fairleigh Dickinson for Johnson.

TJ’s time will come but it is not now.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Adam, Cox isn’t going to step over Sutton. They have a long term relationship and he brought Sutton in as his #1 assistant last year. Sutton is known for player development. I agree they could spend more on the second assistant if they hire TJ. I think I mentioned that in the previous post 😙. Just didn’t do the math for you. Cox probably wouldn’t spend all of it. Would leave some money to respond to increases in the next few years if a school comes after TJ or the second assistant.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Adam, Cox isn’t going to step over Sutton. They have a long term relationship and he brought Sutton in as his #1 assistant last year.
That may be true, but I think he should.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I’m switching hats now. I’m am officially OK if Cox hires on TJ. If he’s hungry and is a go-getter, he will do whatever it takes to make a name not only for himself, but what the university represents.
If the one man David Cox PR firm is on board and changing his tune that means its likely happening so he is getting out in front of it now. :)
Please don’t believe that. I know zip about the coaching search.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Women’s coach has been able to fill her staff.
https://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl ... 0620mesa6b
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So who is our top assistant coach now? I am so confused. I have no idea who our staff is anymore.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago So who is our top assistant coach now? I am so confused. I have no idea who our staff is anymore.
Haha. The top assistant is David Cox 😜
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Adam, Cox isn’t going to step over Sutton. They have a long term relationship and he brought Sutton in as his #1 assistant last year. Sutton is known for player development. I agree they could spend more on the second assistant if they hire TJ. I think I mentioned that in the previous post 😙. Just didn’t do the math for you. Cox probably wouldn’t spend all of it. Would leave some money to respond to increases in the next few years if a school comes after TJ or the second assistant.
It feels like the thing you are arguing about here is semantics over who is the “#1” assistant. I don’t really care who is considered the #1 assistant. I just want them to hire two coaches: a more experienced coach who is going to bring something to the table in more than one area (i.e., not someone who is just going to recruit but that can also coach), and TJ. Just hiring TJ right now and taking a wait-and-see on Carroll is not a good approach because I wasn’t sold on Carroll even if he wasn’t dealing with health stuff (gold bless him, hope he gets better soon - I have no ill will toward the guy at all), and with him not even available to coach at the moment the staff overall is both undermanned and inexperienced. They should take whatever money is in the pool and go get the best guy they can find for that price. If Sutton is a reasonable adult and invested in the team succeeding, he should be fully supportive of that approach.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Adam, Cox isn’t going to step over Sutton. They have a long term relationship and he brought Sutton in as his #1 assistant last year. Sutton is known for player development. I agree they could spend more on the second assistant if they hire TJ. I think I mentioned that in the previous post 😙. Just didn’t do the math for you. Cox probably wouldn’t spend all of it. Would leave some money to respond to increases in the next few years if a school comes after TJ or the second assistant.
It feels like the thing you are arguing about here is semantics over who is the “#1” assistant. I don’t really care who is considered the #1 assistant. I just want them to hire two coaches: a more experienced coach who is going to bring something to the table in more than one area (i.e., not someone who is just going to recruit but that can also coach), and TJ. Just hiring TJ right now and taking a wait-and-see on Carroll is not a good approach because I wasn’t sold on Carroll even if he wasn’t dealing with health stuff (gold bless him, hope he gets better soon - I have no ill will toward the guy at all), and with him not even available to coach at the moment the staff overall is both undermanned and inexperienced. They should take whatever money is in the pool and go get the best guy they can find for that price. If Sutton is a reasonable adult and invested in the team succeeding, he should be fully supportive of that approach.
You could still end up with Carroll. It seems like you are trying to fill Carroll’s spot before he is gone. It’s ok to do that but you will need to be ok with Sutton, Carroll and the new assistant. The new assistant better be able to recruit on that staff. You probably also burn the bridge with TJ. He likely will get an offer from another school next year and be gone. I want them to have a full staff by the first week in July.
2 x