Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Asst. Coach Posting ?

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree Rhody hasn’t felt the loss of Ty yet. They have felt the 4 months that Carroll has been out.
People can’t say TJ isn’t ready to be an Assistant at URI in one post and then say TJ is doing a good job filling in as an Assistant (for Carroll).
Not good enough to be hired but doing great for 4 months as acting Ast 😙
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Cox is trying to do it all. He's the lead recruiter right now and because of that he's behind in interviewing prospective assistants. One guy can only do so much. He needs some help.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I actually would be happy if they got Preston Murphy.

Will Wade is still the coach of the LSU Tigers. Miller is still at Arizona. Preston Murphy doesn't have to be penalized as McDermott's fall guy.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PM was caught cheating. I want no parts.
7 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago PM was caught cheating. I want no parts.
Agree, I want URI to stay as far away from any possible connection to this scandal as possible. Loved Preston as a player, but this whole thing creates a totally different situation.
8 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The position that is open is Ty Boswell's, the lowest paid assistant. Hard to attract candidates who have jobs.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago The position that is open is Ty Boswell's, the lowest paid assistant. Hard to attract candidates who have jobs.
According to a previous post, Carroll is/was the lowest paid assistant. Ty was 2nd.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Preston is making northwards of 250K/yr at Creighton....not happening here.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yes 250k+ might not be the market if the guy cant get a job.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

But, if he can't get an assistants job anywhere else, why do we want to hire him?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago The position that is open is Ty Boswell's, the lowest paid assistant. Hard to attract candidates who have jobs.
According to a previous post, Carroll is/was the lowest paid assistant. Ty was 2nd.
If true, that surprises me considering their level of experience.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago As far as Carroll goes, its the optics of the situation. Can’t seemingly fire an ill man, who is showing that he wants to return, and is doing what it takes to come back. It’s a lot, but I still maintain a level of optimism, given what has been shown from the staff...short handed and all.
When the rest of the working world gets 12 weeks FMLA (13 in RI), the optics of indefinitely holding an important position for one individual to maybe come back is what looks bad to me.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago As far as Carroll goes, its the optics of the situation. Can’t seemingly fire an ill man, who is showing that he wants to return, and is doing what it takes to come back. It’s a lot, but I still maintain a level of optimism, given what has been shown from the staff...short handed and all.
When the rest of the working world gets 12 weeks FMLA (13 in RI), the optics of indefinitely holding an important position for one individual to maybe come back is what looks bad to me.

State employees can go on leave without pay for up to one year for illness.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

*Expletive*
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Promote TJ and hire Kenny Green as DBO.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

*Expletive*
If you thought for one minute Cox thought this was an ideal situation, you’d be crazy.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well then TJ will be an interim assistant for a while to come.

Not the worst thing in the world. He'll get much needed experience, and if Carroll ultimately doesn't come back, then he could become the regular 3rd assistant.

At least we now know the deal....Cox is looking for the "middle assistant" position, and all that entails. This hire is critical for sure.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Carroll only $113,000
Boswell $143,500
Sutton $179,000
Total $435,000
Iggy, this is the post I'm talking about.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

So TJ could serve on an interim basis. Coleman could be interim DBO. Player development position left open. If Carroll returns, everyone slides back into the old jobs. No extra cost for URI.
And they hire to replace Boswell.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah no problem with me if TJ stays seems like a hard worker who is respected

Murph will probably have to wait a few years cuz of the scandal
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago What does re-sign players mean?
Re-sign players means re-new their scholarship.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I liked it better when I didn’t understand the meaning he was going for.

And what is Preston’s official status? Still on “administrative leave”?
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

PM received a payment from an agent for guiding a player to a specific agent after the season was over. Was there more? Does this make PM a cheater?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago PM received a payment from an agent for guiding a player to a specific agent after the season was over. Was there more? Does this make PM a cheater?
Is it illegal? Maybe not, but FBI is involved. It is against NCAA rules to take a bribe as noted in this article. He allegedly took an envelope with $6000 cash in it and put it in his pocket accepting it from the FBI agent. Not sure the status of the case at this point

http://ncn21.com/local-sports/video-sho ... 000-bribe/

The indictment stated an undercover FBI agent handed Murphy the money in the envelope. Marty Blazer, a former financial adviser who’s now a government witness, was in the room with Murphy during that meeting — as was defendant Christian Dawkins, the aspiring agent who hoped to start his own agency.
And according to reporters, Blazer was on the witness stand Thursday as that video played in the New York City courtroom.
Blazer reportedly testified that Murphy received $6,000. The alleged scheme was to pay college coaches so they would use their influence to steer college players with NBA potential to Dawkins’ new sports agency.

Murphy isn’t the only one accused of taking a bribe, and he hasn’t been charged with a crime.
But NCAA rules state that athletic department employees are not allowed to receive benefits for “facilitating or arranging a meeting between a student-athlete and an agent, financial adviser or a representative of an agent.”
There are also unethical conduct statutes in the NCAA bylaws.
Murphy was placed on administrative leave March 8, one day after the indictment was released.
But now more details are being revealed. It’s the second straight day Murphy was mentioned during this high-profile corruption trial where Dawkins and former Adidas employee Merl Code are facing bribery charges.

https://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-ba ... 6ac49.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Hey we have Thor Bjorn and had Al Skinner. Two of the most important guys we have ever had in our program come from UMass.

At least hes just an assistant there.

But really, the sooner he leaves there the better....
Tyrone Weeks from UMASS, was an assistant coach at URI from 2001-2005. He followed jim Baron to URI from St Bonaventure where he was an assistant coach.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My educated guess on the Carroll situation (and it is a guess).
Cox/URI were planning not to renew Carroll’s contract
They contacted Carroll and his agent to inform them of that.
Carroll’s agent and attorney contacted Thorr to let him they would consider that a violation of the law. You can’t terminate an employee when they are out on sick leave or disability.
I am guessing there is some time statue (limit), that if the employee isn’t cleared for health reasons to continue his job functions then the employer can replace the employee.
I also would expect URI to have short term and long term disability insurance on its employees.

Carroll has put Cox in a difficult situation and Carroll knows it.
I can’t see Carroll ever coaching for URI again. If he is clear to coach again, URI has to negotiate a buyout.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm not sure this is the scenario for employees who have one-year contracts. Your employment terminates automatically at a certain date. A new contract then gets signed.

I am not well versed in employment, however, with that as a caveat.

This may be a humanitarian situation where they want to continue his health care coverage
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Could they change his job title after the old contract ran out, and continue his coverage?

Thereby opening the assistant position for a new hire?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago I'm not sure this is the scenario for employees who have one-year contracts. Your employment terminates automatically at a certain date. A new contract then gets signed.

I am not well versed in employment, however, with that as a caveat.

This may be a humanitarian situation where they want to continue his health care coverage
I agree with typical employment but Carroll’s attorney could threaten to fight it. He went out under disability when he was under contract. They could take the position that the only reason his contract isn’t being renewed is because he is out sick/on disability.

Carroll is 63 1/2 years old. By law he can get 18 months of COBRA (continued health insurance coverage under URI’s policy) thst he would pay for. That brings him to 65 years old = Medicare coverage. I don’t think they are holding on to give him medical coverage.

Something happened. Cox was interviewing candidates to fill Carroll’s position. He was deep into the process. Then Thorr stopped him.

Regarding the suggestion to just give him another position, what position is open? They would still have to give him the same pay. There are restrictions on the # of people that can perform any coaching duties. For example, TJ can’t help on the court during practices as DBO. He is allowed to do it now with Carroll out TJ is an acting Ast Coach. Do they have the budget to make up a new position at over $100,000 to do nothing? If they do, just buy him out with that money.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

There's no law that requires a contract be renewed for someone that can't work. Even if there's something specific to state employees that requires them to hold his position for a year, they wouldn't renew the contract. And that provision would mean the program will be down a coach all season which is ridiculous.

The humanitarian health insurance thing would not only be reckless, that would be illegal.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night 😜
There is a Federal and RI State Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). RI FMLA allows 13 weeks unpaid time off after other time off has been used (like paid sick time). We don’t know if Carroll applied for the unpaid time off and if he did, when that time started. If an employee elects the unpaid time off, the employer must give them a similar position upon the employee’s return.

Something happened that led to Thorr’s comment that if Carroll is 100% healthy he will return to his job.

I agree that it seems like the contract has expired and URI should be able to not renew it and hire a new coach. They were going down that path and stopped a month ago because of some HR/legal concern. It could be a battle that URI would win in litigation but it isn’t worth pushing that (really bad PR). Carroll could sue and then this would get tied up in court. It doesn’t look good when a 63 year old gets sick and loses his job.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Maybe Cox is hoping he returns?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think there's too much we don't know so I'm not going there.
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago I think there's too much we don't know so I'm not going there.
The worse part is when people start to believe their on fallacies and theories. Then there is no convincing them otherwise. (This post was not directed at anyone, but if the shoe fits...)
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago I think there's too much we don't know so I'm not going there.
The worse part is when people start to believe their on fallacies and theories. Then there is no convincing them otherwise. (This post was not directed at anyone, but if the shoe fits...)
The whole coaching staff situation is a shoddy look right now and I guess we're just trying to figure out why they would let that happen. But you're right, as someone who has done some of the speculating, its really not fair.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The whole coaching staff situation is a shoddy look right now and I guess we're just trying to figure out why they would let that happen. But you're right, as someone who has done some of the speculating, its really not fair.
I hear ya, but I am positive that this is something we will NEVER know.
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

I hear ya, but I am positive that this is something we will NEVER know.

As a fan of the program all I want is to see the situation resolved (if there is a "situation") and Coach Cox be able to assemble the best men's basketball staff he can within the budget limitations he's working under.

As just an everyday fan it seems to me that we are handicapping ourselves by not having a full coaching staff working.

It just seems like more of the typical URI bureaucracy that always gets in the way of success.
5 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If we don’t have a complete coaching staff by the first week in July, the athletic department and Coach Cox have screwed up.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago If we don’t have a complete coaching staff by the first week in July, the athletic department and Coach Cox have screwed up.
Totally agree.
2 x
reckless jake
ARD

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago If we don’t have a complete coaching staff by the first week in July, the athletic department and Coach Cox have screwed up.
+1
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not sure we're qualified to judge that without all the facts (which we will probably, most likely appropriately, never have), are we?
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Brown just filled out their staff. It is possible to hire assistants
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Not sure we're qualified to judge that without all the facts (which we will probably, most likely appropriately, never have), are we?
There are several scenarios of what could’ve happen that can explain and justify an opening in Ty’s position for June. There are none that justify an opening of you lead recruiting position in July.
Share one if you think there is.
The two that come closest are - you can’t fill Ty’s position until Carroll’s situation is resolved. In that case, you shouldn’t have let Ty go. The second is similar except you had to let Ty go for some issue that occurred. In that case, I blame Thorr and Cox for keeping Ty on staff after he previously had an instance where he was arrested and charged. It is their job to evaluate the character of the people they hire especially in key positions.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

While I agree with this sentiment, I'm not completely convinced Cox and co don't have their hands tied up in red tape. I get what you're saying about the timing with regards to Ty's non-renewal but don't think we have enough knowledge about it in general to accurately speculate. Just my wait and see approach to processing off-season news.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Not sure we're qualified to judge that without all the facts (which we will probably, most likely appropriately, never have), are we?
There are several scenarios of what could’ve happen that can explain and justify an opening in Ty’s position for June. There are none that justify an opening of you lead recruiting position in July.
The two that come closest are - you can’t fill Ty’s position until Carroll’s situation is resolved. In that case, you shouldn’t have let Ty go. The second is similar except you had to let Ty go for some issue that occurred. In that case, I blame Thorr and Cox for keeping Ty on staff after he previously had an instance where he was arrested and charged. It is their job to evaluate the character of the people they hire especially in key positions.
83, you’ve got to stop man. You really have no clue and you’re starting to believe your own theories. DH hired Ty. Him not being renewed had nothing to do with the concert incident. The character evaluation should’ve occurred before he ever stepped foot on this campus. It didn’t happen. No matter how many scenarios you make up in your head and post on message boards will not provide you answers. You keep attributing these scenarios and rile the board up on nothing but pure speculation. Zero facts.

I’m not saying you’re not privy to a lot of info, because you are, and you do have so very reliable intel/sources, but please stop with the tiki torch and march approach. 95% of the board is oblivious, and due to you being well respected here, people are buying into fictitious based beliefs.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There is zero reasons not to have Ty’s position filled on July 1st. My post was the first week of July. It is a mistake if it isn’t filled.
If someone cares to post a possible reason, I would love to see it.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I agree. Maybe their hands are tied because of the Carroll situation for one of the assistant positions. But there's no excuse to not have the other one filled. Unless TJ is going to fill one of the spots, I would hope at least one assistant will be hired and named very soon.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
83, you’ve got to stop man. You really have no clue and you’re starting to believe your own theories. DH hired Ty. Him not being renewed had nothing to do with the concert incident. The character evaluation should’ve occurred before he ever stepped foot on this campus. It didn’t happen. No matter how many scenarios you make up in your head and post on message boards will not provide you answers. You keep attributing these scenarios and rile the board up on nothing but pure speculation. Zero facts.

I’m not saying you’re not privy to a lot of info, because you are, and you do have so very reliable intel/sources, but please stop with the tiki torch and march approach. 95% of the board is oblivious, and due to you being well respected here, people are buying into fictitious based beliefs.
I was also told that Ty was not renewed for specific reasons. Not just that He was DHs hire. Something happened and it was his 2nd time with an issue.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Exactly.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago There is zero reasons not to have Ty’s position filled on July 1st. My post was the first week of July. It is a mistake if it isn’t filled.
If someone cares to post a possible reason, I would love to see it.
YOU’RE NOT GETTING EXPLANATIONS AND THAT KIND OF INFORMATION ON AN INTERNET FAN FORUM. There are politics involved no one here is privy to or even should have the gall to post, even anonymously. There are so few people in the know, that person would sacrifice all sources by outing that they know confidential information. They wouldn’t be hard to find or identify.
1 x