Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Asst. Coach Posting ?

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago I ‘m back on the TJ train for the third assistant. He may not be Rhode Island born but he’s definitely Rhode Island bred. He bridges three eras in our history with a huge success story. He stepped up when Carroll was sick. He’s a bargain at the price we can get him for. He can tell our story better than anyone. At the end of the day if I am a parent of a child who is 14 to 17 or 18 years old what better person or persons do I want them to become other than David Cox and TJ Buchanan. I think we are being extremely shortsighted if we think we can get an unemployed assistant coach to bring us a LeBron James. That will never happen. They just don’t exist. We are Rhode Island for Christ sakes. If we don’t believe in little guy who does? Give him a chance. We may catch lightning in a bottle. WTF do we have to lose? This is a defining moment. Either you to find a moment to moment to defines you.
It's Friday night, are you already lubed up :lol:
I like TJ a lot. I would be ok with the risk. For the record no one said an unemployed assistant coach would bring us a 5 star recruit.
WTF do we have to lose - a lot. The Knute Rockne last sentence is humorous especially when you factor in the typo/grammatical error.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Thanks for the heads up. I agree. But my opinion remains the same. WTF do we have to lose?. He’s the third assistant.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

The quote is from Tin Cup. Great movie. If you haven’t seen it you should check it out.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I went to URI. Grammer is not my strong point.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

But if we can’t win with Rhode Islanders, why do we even bother?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago I ‘m back on the TJ train for the third assistant. He may not be Rhode Island born but he’s definitely Rhode Island bred. He bridges three eras in our history with a huge success story. He stepped up when Carroll was sick. He’s a bargain at the price we can get him for. He can tell our story better than anyone. At the end of the day if I am a parent of a child who is 14 to 17 or 18 years old what better person or persons do I want them to become other than David Cox and TJ Buchanan. I think we are being extremely shortsighted if we think we can get an unemployed assistant coach to bring us a LeBron James. That will never happen. They just don’t exist. We are Rhode Island for Christ sakes. If we don’t believe in little guy who does? Give him a chance. We may catch lightning in a bottle. WTF do we have to lose? This is a defining moment. Either you to find a moment to moment to defines you.
It's Friday night, are you already lubed up :lol:
I like TJ a lot. I would be ok with the risk. For the record no one said an unemployed assistant coach would bring us a 5 star recruit.
WTF do we have to lose - a lot. The Knute Rockne last sentence is humorous especially when you factor in the typo/grammatical error.

All I could think of is this scene regarding love and being “lubed up” as Kevin McNamara calls our fan base (but you all can ignore what Mitch Martin says in this clip 25 seconds in since it’s not PG)
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Rhody83. Thanks for the camaraderie and keeping me in check.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

The silence is deafening.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

To recruit, you have to have connections. We can’t afford to wait for TJ to create/build connections. Cox doesn’t have that kind of time on his side. He’s still on the road recruiting like an assistant coach. At some point, he has to find another, him. Sutton isn’t a Dave Cox. He’s a X and O’s guy and a mentor to the kids. Carroll is the old wise professor. Boswell was the primary recruiter, the bridge between the kids and the school and relationship builder. This isn’t enough. URI needs more from each individual on the bench staff than what it appears to be getting. Carroll is a gamble health wise. Unless he is 100% and can operate at full capacity, we need to move on and wish him all the best.

I say all that to say TJ is just fine in the DOBO capacity, he still a fixture on the bench and in practice, but I’m not for flying him around the country, doing the grip and grin, and leaving kids with the “who was that again?” impression.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I disagree.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

He is seminal to our program and distinguishes us from every other school in the country.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Whatever happens, it's DC's call, not ours.

In about 3 weeks or so, things should be a lot clearer.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So it sounds like Sutton and Carrol are both X’s and O’s Guys. Why have 2 and only 1 recruiter? I wasn’t blown away by the X’s And O’s stuff last season anyway. Too many off balance 3 point shots, not enough good passing, horrible 3 point shooting by two of out biggest 3PG attempt players.......I think best to have 2 recruiting forces.

But in the end, it Cox to make the call on recruits, coaches, X’s And O’s, transfers, OOC schedule, etc. buck stops with him
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It sounds like the combination of Sutton and Carroll isn’t good. They serve the same role and have the same weakness (recruiting).
The position Sutton is in (top paid assistant) needs to be Dave’s Dave Cox.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago What is our salary for an assistant coach? I mean, Michigan pays their assistants $250k a year. So how far below do we pay from there, and do we put the same expectations on our assistant coaches? I would expect 4* galore if we are paying $200k.
Right now it’s in the $140-180k range.
So for an extra $20-60K, we can expect Michigan type recruits?
Yes. At the very least.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

For $180K, these assistants are not performing.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Maybe Cox should hire Jason Smith, Brewster HC. This guy can recruit.

1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Didn't know this Tyson Wheeler got an assistants job at UMass

0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago Didn't know this Tyson Wheeler got an assistants job at UMass

Rothstein tweeted an announcement of the UMass staff about an hour ago, including Tyson as an assistant coach, as well as Tony Bergeron and Lucious Jordan.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Tyson has been passed over here at least twice as far as I know.

Wasn't he an assistant to Cooley at Fairfield?

And didn't go to PC with him.

Wheeler really is a great guy, but evidently his coaching hasn't distinguished itself enough to get a higher level job, until now.

Of course it's UMass...….so take it with a grain of salt.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Traitor...
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years agoTraitor...
Hoping that's a joke
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years agoTraitor...
Assuming this is sarcastic Tyson was passed over by URI. He didn't get an interview this year again.
Glad he got a D1 job. If he does well, URI can hire him when McCall fails.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago Didn't know this Tyson Wheeler got an assistants job at UMass

Actually was reported about 9an this morning by our very own Keaneyblue poster - Ramulous. Ramulous reported this on the UMASS thread In the “other college sports” section. Well ahead of the tweetosphere talking heads.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's a joke. Tyson is one of my all-time favorites.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

And if you ever get a chance to converse with Tyson, he is a class act all around. So glad I got to see him play in Keaney Gym. It was pure pleasure.
2 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago I ‘m back on the TJ train for the third assistant. He may not be Rhode Island born but he’s definitely Rhode Island bred. He bridges three eras in our history with a huge success story. He stepped up when Carroll was sick. He’s a bargain at the price we can get him for. He can tell our story better than anyone. At the end of the day if I am a parent of a child who is 14 to 17 or 18 years old what better person or persons do I want them to become other than David Cox and TJ Buchanan. I think we are being extremely shortsighted if we think we have to get a unemployed assistant coach who is a superstar will bring us a LeBron James. That will never happen. They just don’t exist. We are Rhode Island for Christ sakes. If we don’t believe in little guy who does. Give them a chance. We may catch lightning in a bottle.
I think some of us have a higher opinion of our school than you.Let's hire someone unqualified for the position because they played here? Because we can't do better? Stupid
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago I went to URI. Grammer is not my strong point.

You and Andy Gresh share the title of the worst URi alumni ever.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

I heard Tyson was never a candidate .
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Good luck, Tyson! Will be on my feet when umass comes to the Ryan next year.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’ll also be on my feet when Tyson is at the Ryan Center. Best of luck to him and his family in his new Coaching role.

https://www.theday.com/article/20190609 ... /190609447
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hal Kopp wrote: 4 years ago I heard Tyson was never a candidate .
He was a candidate but UMass was moving a lot quicker than URI so Tyson took the bird in the hand. He has a family to support.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hey we have Thor Bjorn and had Al Skinner. Two of the most important guys we have ever had in our program come from UMass.

At least hes just an assistant there.

But really, the sooner he leaves there the better....
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

RAMFAN wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago I went to URI. Grammer is not my strong point.

You and Andy Gresh share the title of the worst URi alumni ever.
Hey Ramfam. Love you too. Thanks for making it personal. Classy.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Hey we have Thor Bjorn and had Al Skinner. Two of the most important guys we have ever had in our program come from UMass.

At least hes just an assistant there.

But really, the sooner he leaves there the better....
He wanted to stay close to home so UMASS worked out for him in that regard. Would have been nice to have him at URI working with our Guards.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Tyson was never a candidate at URI, then heads up the road to one of our/his biggest school rivals and is hired.....punch to the gut.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah it stings but happy he found a job
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think its great. It sucks it has to be UMass, but glad he is getting some experience at this level and if things go well for him there then he can come to Rhody when we need an assistant in a few years.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

So Boswell's name was quickly taken off the website. Carroll's name remains and the new FY has started. So URI has one opening
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Carroll’s situation is obviously complicated in ways that Ty’s wasn’t.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

As each assistant's contracts are renewed (or not) annually, is it unlawful to not renew someone who for any reason cannot physically perform the duties?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago As each assistant's contracts are renewed (or not) annually, is it unlawful to not renew someone who for any reason cannot physically perform the duties?
So if all assistants became ill and unable to perform, we would have no assistants?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago As each assistant's contracts are renewed (or not) annually, is it unlawful to not renew someone who for any reason cannot physically perform the duties?
So if all assistants became ill and unable to perform, we would have no assistants?
Yes. It would be up to me and you. (y)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There needs to be a resolution here and soon.

Are we supposed to only have 2 assistants for something that could be up in the air for a long time?

I guess with TJ as an interim assistant it's OK for now, though.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago There needs to be a resolution here and soon.

Are we supposed to only have 2 assistants for something that could be up in the air for a long time?

The staff is fine. The team is in tact. We have a 20’ PG in the fold, and another 20’ possibly on the hook. We are OK. 21’ is so far out, we have enough time to worry about that.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Cox is 100% responsible for the success/failure of the program. Last season, it took time, but he finally made the transition from assistant to head coach. He needs assistants who are an asset to him and the program. He knows whether TJ's elevation is the move to make. If he hires/retains assistants or recruits/re-signs players who are dead wood, it is all on him, not them. Right now I'm positive on David Cox as our head coach. you cannot hold someone responsible without giving them control.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What does re-sign players mean?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Leave well enough alone that’s the most positive thing the guy has said since the invention of the interwebs
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

The staff is fine. The team is in tact. We have a 20’ PG in the fold, and another 20’ possibly on the hook. We are OK. 21’ is so far out, we have enough time to worry about that.
Missing two Assistant Coaches impacts more than the ‘21 recruiting. It is very competitive and for us to think it doesn’t matter that Rhody staff is two coaches short to its competitors is shortsighted. These are all 50+ hours/week jobs. When he steps into Ast Coach role his DBO is vacant. I respect DC Rams but we agree to disagree here.

Rhody is short two scholarship players. More importantly, they have four new players that need to learn the systems and 8 players (4 new + 4 sophs) that need player development. They also will have a new coach or two that need to learn the systems and the players’ strengths & weaknesses. Hopefully the add a new coach by the end of this month.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Missing two Assistant Coaches impacts more than the ‘21 recruiting. It is very competitive and for us to think it doesn’t matter that Rhody staff is two coaches short to its competitors is shortsighted. These are all 50+ hours/week jobs. When he steps into Ast Coach role his DBO is vacant. I respect DC Rams but we agree to disagree here.

Rhody is short two scholarship players. More importantly, they have four new players that need to learn the systems and 8 players (4 new + 4 sophs) that need player development. They also will have a new coach or two that need to learn the systems and the players’ strengths & weaknesses. Hopefully the add a new coach by the end of this month.
That’s fine, but we’ve been without Ty, for a little over a week. We got one commitment on his way out and are working on another. The staff still has a pulse on the guys they have their sights on. Here are an optimist’s favorite words...”relax, it’s a process”. Clearly. The impatience is something you have to get a handle on when things don’t move as quickly as you feel they should...simply because you/we don’t know what is going on. Frankly, you/we never really will, no matter what any insider may tell you. We haven’t experienced any real negatives, post-Ty, yet.

As far as Carroll goes, its the optics of the situation. Can’t seemingly fire an ill man, who is showing that he wants to return, and is doing what it takes to come back. It’s a lot, but I still maintain a level of optimism, given what has been shown from the staff...short handed and all.
0 x