Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Asst. Coach Posting ?

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Ha ha look at Jerry D's staff while he was here.

That was a great staff by any measure.

Didn't mean squat though, the HC was a douchebag.
Which proves you have to be good at more than one thing to be a successful head coach.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Actually, I think some or all of that staff was Harrick's.

Not sure how much of the decision to keep them was JD's.

Hard to give credit of any kind to that clown.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

It is, and it’s a data point by which to assess his performance as head coach that’s as important as any other aspect of the job.
I mean...I agree that it’s important but I’m not sure it makes sense to say that it’s as important as any other aspect of the job. What ultimately matters is wins and losses, and secondary to that is recruiting and player development, scheme and system, roster and rotation management, etc. Assistant coaches are a derivative measurement of all those things - to the extent you need to make a judgment about performance of a head coach with incomplete data in any of the aforementioned categories, looking at the staff can be a useful shorthand because assistant coaches impact all of those things.

But ultimately, if a coach were to win 30 games and go to a Final Four with a staff comprised of his kids and friends, or no staff at all, nobody would be too concerned about his staff; on the other hand, a coach could hire what is universally recognized as a great staff and win 10 games a year and the quality of his staff isn’t going to save him. So I’m not really disagreeing with your real point here about the significance of a coaching staff, but it is overstating things in the extreme to says it’s a data point that is as important as any other aspect of the job. It isn’t.
Then we don’t agree on this point, given your last stated opinion. That’s ok.
So your considered opinion is really that the quality of the staff is as important in evaluating a coach as his W-L record?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One of the reasons I was excited about the Sutton hiring last year was that he has connections all over the place. How many recruits has that produced so far?
2 x
Rhodymadness401
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodymadness401 »

I hope things work out for Coach Cox he is on the hot seat this season to make the tournament. Thats the only goal this season. As far as Boswell he will be missed, he actually recruited the last few guys we signed. Marial, Jeremy, Greg, Toppin, that's all in one class. Was the lead for all of them. Without him Jared Terrell nor Dana Tate would have came to URI. Losing Boswell is bigger then what you guys think.

Let's just hope the next coach we have is able to recruit at a level that will help us get to the NCAA tournament.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I mean...I agree that it’s important but I’m not sure it makes sense to say that it’s as important as any other aspect of the job. What ultimately matters is wins and losses, and secondary to that is recruiting and player development, scheme and system, roster and rotation management, etc. Assistant coaches are a derivative measurement of all those things - to the extent you need to make a judgment about performance of a head coach with incomplete data in any of the aforementioned categories, looking at the staff can be a useful shorthand because assistant coaches impact all of those things.

But ultimately, if a coach were to win 30 games and go to a Final Four with a staff comprised of his kids and friends, or no staff at all, nobody would be too concerned about his staff; on the other hand, a coach could hire what is universally recognized as a great staff and win 10 games a year and the quality of his staff isn’t going to save him. So I’m not really disagreeing with your real point here about the significance of a coaching staff, but it is overstating things in the extreme to says it’s a data point that is as important as any other aspect of the job. It isn’t.
Then we don’t agree on this point, given your last stated opinion. That’s ok.
So your considered opinion is really that the quality of the staff is as important in evaluating a coach as his W-L record?
Thanks to a client cancelling, I had time to go back and add this-

“I also don’t judge a hiring on day one. Why I think it’s equally important- ability to attract a talented pool of candidates and share a vision of what the program is and where it should be going. The first tests a coach’s connections and the job they’ve done with the program to that point. The second is about how a guy can work with and, to some degree, manage staff”

It’s very possible to make a good hire at URI. Retention is where it can get tricky.”

I also don’t know how you separate the two, unless you’re talking about an assessment made on day 1 versus seeing how it plays out. So yeah, I put a lot of roles as equally important for a coach. There are also times when a W-L record would be an unfair assessment of a coach.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We don't pay enough to keep good assistants around.

Same as for the head coach....overachieve, and it's bye bye.

URI has champagne tastes on a beer budget. Doesn't look like it will ever change.

Imo, DC is trying to get us to NCAA tournaments with one hand tied behind his back.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I would be happy with TJ filing the 3rd spot. I think he is an up and comer, has done a good job since Carroll has be out, and the players seem to like him a lot. Based on his performance, I think he deserves a shot. We can also get him at a low price. Even if we double his pay it’s still probably less than $100K. That would allow additional $$$ for both Sutton and a new high level hire.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They need to come to a resolution and quickly, concerning Carroll.

Does the program no good to be left hanging in limbo.

And yes, I think TJ should get the 3rd assistant spot IF Carroll is done.
2 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Assistant coaching turnover because of opportunities elsewhere is normal and happens everywhere. Even at the elites where the pay is huge, they leave for head coaching jobs. Also, some lag when there is a head coaching change is understandable too. What's happening this year is neither case and looks poorly anticipated/managed.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As was said before, I think Cox knew for a while about Boswell not being renewed.

But with the new assistant's previous gig, and URI's state hiring practices, announcements can't be made until a certain date.

At least I hope that's what's happened.

If not, it's a big screw up. And add the Carroll situation, it's unfortunate.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago As was said before, I think Cox knew for a while about Boswell not being renewed.

But with the new assistant's previous gig, and URI's state hiring practices, announcements can't be made until a certain date.

At least I hope that's what's happened.

If not, it's a big screw up. And add the Carroll situation, it's unfortunate.
Ty's contract expired June 1st. If Cox knew for awhile (I am not saying that he did), he could have announced a new coach on June 2nd. He was already looking for an assistant to fill Carroll's spot. He could have been interviewing for Ty's position as well. The month of May is probably the least busy period for a HC. There are no practices and the recruiting is limited due to NCAA rules.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Every time URI has had success they had a strong staff. It's imperative that Cox makes good choices here.
It is, and it’s a data point by which to assess his performance as head coach that’s as important as any other aspect of the job.
TP, tell me a coach/team that had a joke staff or no staff at all that won 30 games? Also tell me a team that had a great staff and won 10 games? It doesn't happen. You know why, because joke/crappy staffs lose and great staffs win. I know you were exaggerating, but give me examples of what you meant in your nonexaggerated version.

I agree with Ace, URI can hire/attract very good assistants. Retaining them is the challenge. How do you explain being able to hire Cox as an assistant if you don't believe this. If we are going to lose top assistants why not go for a top assistant that is on the rebound (either a top assistant that lost his job because of HC change or even a HC that needs to restart - like Mike Rice)? Fill the recruiting spot with an assistant that is more apt to stay for more years (like Boswell was).
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wonder how much TJ Sorrentine makes.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The limitations at URI are nothing new, and we have had some great assistant coaching staffs in the past. Al had some great ones, as did Jim, as did Dan. It can be done. While there are limitations and obstacles to retaining great assistants, there is also an almost infinite pool of quality assistants out there between D1/D2/D3, AAU, high school ranks. It's a large pool of people.

IMO TJ is definitely not the answer here. Dave needs someone seasoned with technical skills in Xs/Os and player development AND someone with deep recruiting ties that is on the come up. 2 different people. Bob Walsh would be great fit for the first.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I agree with Bob Walsh. I also like TJ as the recruiter even without the experience or current connections. Just about universally all the newly signed guys commented on the family atmosphere an I think TJ is at the center of it.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Different HC have different needs. An experienced coach, might need to spend his money on the recruiting side of it; a new coach could easily need a more experienced bench coach to develop talent and be able to contribute during games. eg(Martelli and Michigan.

Recalling some of the games last year, Cox needed more of the latter- not sure that anyone on last year's staff was a real good game time coach and I think it showed.

I agree with Ace, this is a real opportunity! I will be disappointed if we do not upgrade this part of our coaching staff.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

TP, tell me a coach/team that had a joke staff or no staff at all that won 30 games? Also tell me a team that had a great staff and won 10 games? It doesn't happen. You know why, because joke/crappy staffs lose and great staffs win. I know you were exaggerating, but give me examples of what you meant in your nonexaggerated version.

I agree with Ace, URI can hire/attract very good assistants. Retaining them is the challenge. How do you explain being able to hire Cox as an assistant if you don't believe this. If we are going to lose top assistants why not go for a top assistant that is on the rebound (either a top assistant that lost his job because of HC change or even a HC that needs to restart - like Mike Rice)? Fill the recruiting spot with an assistant that is more apt to stay for more years (like Boswell was).
I feel like I explained what I meant in my post - I was not making the argument that “no, actually assistant coaches aren’t important at all because a coach with no staff can win 30 games easily.” I said I agreed with ace’s underlying point that assistant coaches are important and therefore a viable data point to consider in evaluating a head coach. My sole, specific issue was with the claim that it is as important as any other aspect of the job in making that evaluation. The example you quoted was a hypothetical intended to illustrate the silliness of that suggestion. It was just a thought experiment, not a literal argument that maybe we should just not hire any assistants. I suspect that there are not any real world examples of the hypothetical situation I invented to illustrate my point, because in actuality assistant coaches are vital in producing the outcomes that I mentioned that are more direct ways of evaluating a coach: recruiting, development, game and program management and, ultimately, winning.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI continues to spend less and this contributes to the up and down nature of the program and frequent program employee turnover:

July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2017 Basketball Operations Budgets
Atlantic 10
1. VCU — $6,100,756
2. Dayton — $5,637,549
3. Saint Louis — $5,590,746
4. Massachusetts — $5,324,089
5. Richmond — $4,878,508
6. Rhode Island — $4,713,547
7. Duquesne — $4,445,910
8. Fordham — $4,436,291
9. Saint Joseph’s — $4,212,082
10. George Mason — $3,515,918
11. St. Bonaventure — $3,449,008
12. La Salle — $3,096,492
13. George Washington — $2,943,015
14. Davidson — $2,638,281

Keep in mind this was back when Hurley was still head coach and was making more than Cox. Gap may be even wider now.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college ... db4ad.html
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

Next coach is coaching at bryant right now.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago URI continues to spend less and this contributes to the up and own nature of the program and frequent program employee turnover:

July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2017 Basketball Operations Budgets
Atlantic 10
1. VCU — $6,100,756
2. Dayton — $5,637,549
3. Saint Louis — $5,590,746
4. Massachusetts — $5,324,089
5. Richmond — $4,878,508
6. Rhode Island — $4,713,547
7. Duquesne — $4,445,910
8. Fordham — $4,436,291
9. Saint Joseph’s — $4,212,082
10. George Mason — $3,515,918
11. St. Bonaventure — $3,449,008
12. La Salle — $3,096,492
13. George Washington — $2,943,015
14. Davidson — $2,638,281

Keep in mind this was back when Hurley was still head coach and was making more than Cox. Gap may be even wider now.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college ... db4ad.html
This list shows the need to spend the budget wisely- UMass at 5.3 million and Duquesne/Fordham at 4.4 show that just throwing $ around can get you nowhere.
Davidson at 2.6 million-wow
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That list is also not terribly off from where we stand in terms of attendance, a big factor in generating revenue needed to pay coaches.
I believe we ranked 4th in attendance last season? Are are 6th in terms of total budget? Not a huge disparity. Yes with NCAA units, and savings on Cox salary from Dan we should be probably increasing our assistant pool more than we are, but its not like we are operating at bottom of league in terms of investment.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kingston wrote: 4 years ago Next coach is coaching at bryant right now.
You mean the next URI Head Coach someday is at Bryant?? Or do you mean the next URI Assistant Coach is currently on Bryant’s coaching staff?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think some people missed that in your first post, from yesterday-
Kingston wrote: 4 years ago players 100 percent care about the whole staff. Losing Ty hurts bad. Go look at Boswells last three weeks of tweets. notice who likes every single one. Hurley he is that good. every non-DC guy we get was his. Sutton got the guy from Greece. everyone else TY. Why you think Mariel left. Our next assistant already has ties to a guy on the team. Basketball is a sleazy world. We need an AAU guy. And we are stuck because of Carroll. I love Coach Cox but we need to recruit nationwide not just the DMV
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Is DMV-centric a word?
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Judging based off the subtle clues and hints on this board and the connection he has with DC and Jermaine. Also his name was floated around a little bit last year the next assistant coach is really striking me as Chris Cole.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

So TJ doesn’t have enough experience but Cole’s 1 year at Bryant is the match? I don’t think so. No real recruiting experience.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

So TJ doesn’t have enough experience but Cole’s 1 year at Bryant is the match? I don’t think so. No real recruiting experience.
I think this is just an overreaction that he might have some recruiting connections from his former high school area that can be put to better use at URI over Bryant and his connection to Harris while being located close to him. Not the way to go.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
I think this is just an overreaction that he might have some recruiting connections from his former high school area that can be put to better use at URI over Bryant and his connection to Harris while being located close to him. Not the way to go.
Cole has good connections and knows X’s and O’s for starters.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Can Cole get us Timberlake?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Can Cole get us Timberlake?
Quite possibly. It could be his Terrell.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Just lost connection to best program in New England for another one in dc Maryland and Virginia. He may be good have no doubts. However season big recruit is a 5 PT. A game grad transfer. The evil you know is better than the one you don't. Felt team is doing very good recruiting. And heading in right direction. Carroll brings zero. Replace him with DMV guy. Burn local bridge. These prep schools build relationships with way programs they all scratch each other's back. We lost our back scratcher
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

We gave Jerry Duh assistants like George Blaney and Jeff Jones, and how many games did he win?
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Should say aau. Programs not way autocorrect
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Kingston wrote: 4 years ago Just lost connection to best program in New England for another one in dc Maryland and Virginia. He may be good have no doubts. However season big recruit is a 5 PT. A game grad transfer. The evil you know is better than the one you don't. Felt team is doing very good recruiting. And heading in right direction. Carroll brings zero. Replace him with DMV guy. Burn local bridge. These prep schools build relationships with way programs they all scratch each other's back. We lost our back scratcher
That connection bore little fruit outside of Terrell and Tate. As I stated before, for an assistant that did nothing but recruit, id say there was a little left to be desired. Yes, he maintained relationships with recruits, but outside of JT, Boswell was not the reason for those kids coming. What more could he offer them outside of a “friendship/mentorship” once they were on campus? Sure, he could go to the gym and collect rebounds or play post man, but we need more out of our assistants. DC’s next move has to be stronger. Like someone alluded to earlier, the admin seems as if they are tying one hand behind his back.

Ok, yeah it’s a bummer to lose that NE connection, but again, every once and a while, you’ve got to net a bigger fish. If you’re not catching many, in the immortal words of ECR, it may be time to cut bait. Although, that’s not what happened here, the bottom line is DC has to find a creative way to get more out of the guys he ultimately selects.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When Cole got to Bryant, Timberlake got an immediate offer from them. Obviously he was never going to Bryant, but I wonder if he would consider us.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
When Cole got to Bryant, Timberlake got an immediate offer from them. Obviously he was never going to Bryant, but I wonder if he would consider us.
Do we have any information that shows URI might be looking at Cole or is this just the Harris connection and we are thinking what if?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Do we have any information that shows URI might be looking at Cole or is this just the Harris connection and we are thinking what if?
Pure speculation
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Kingston usually has good sources.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Based off of kingston's comments it points to cole imo.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Based off of kingston's comments it points to cole imo.
I’m not saying he isn’t correct, but as of today, it’s speculative.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Based off of kingston's comments it points to cole imo.
I’m not saying he isn’t correct, but as of today, it’s speculative.
That would be a low end hire in my opinion.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Yeah I agree. Until its announced you never know I was just trying to piece it together myself. But I think cox has a good working relationship with him too. Especially coming from the boswell situation. And if carroll was to not return due to health and we needed another assistant and cole was hired I think this takes TJ off the board. No way could you have both on the staff.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Idk.. if uri and have to be creative due to typical circumstances sometimes you have to target young up and coming talent. He wouldnt be the big splash that I am sure most would want. But who knows if it is him anyways.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Idk.. if uri and have to be creative due to typical circumstances sometimes you have to target young up and coming talent. He wouldnt be the big splash that I am sure most would want. But who knows if it is him anyways.
Cole for Boswell would be a trade UP, in my opinion. Not a splash, by any means, but for the money it would take to bring him in, I think we could use more to pay Carroll’s replacement, if he is, in fact, replaced.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Idk.. if uri and have to be creative due to typical circumstances sometimes you have to target young up and coming talent. He wouldnt be the big splash that I am sure most would want. But who knows if it is him anyways.
Cole for Boswell would be a trade UP, in my opinion. Not a splash, by any means, but for the money it would take to bring him in, I think we could use more to pay Carroll’s replacement, if he is, in fact, replaced.
I could agree with that forsure. Could definitely do worse as a third assistant. Brings more then recruiting. Developed harris into a next to non basketball player to d1 talent.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

The way they handle the carroll situation will be my biggest concern and gripe. Would prefer turnover tbh in that spot.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I ‘m back on the TJ train for the third assistant. He may not be Rhode Island born but he’s definitely Rhode Island bred. He bridges three eras in our history with a huge success story. He stepped up when Carroll was sick. He’s a bargain at the price we can get him for. He can tell our story better than anyone. At the end of the day if I am a parent of a child who is 14 to 17 or 18 years old what better person or persons do I want them to become other than David Cox and TJ Buchanan. I think we are being extremely shortsighted if we think we have to get a unemployed assistant coach who is a superstar will bring us a LeBron James. That will never happen. They just don’t exist. We are Rhode Island for Christ sakes. If we don’t believe in little guy who does. Give them a chance. We may catch lightning in a bottle.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I ‘m back on the TJ train for the third assistant. He may not be Rhode Island born but he’s definitely Rhode Island bred. He bridges three eras in our history with a huge success story. He stepped up when Carroll was sick. He’s a bargain at the price we can get him for. He can tell our story better than anyone. At the end of the day if I am a parent of a child who is 14 to 17 or 18 years old what better person or persons do I want them to become other than David Cox and TJ Buchanan? I think we are being extremely shortsighted if we think we can get an unemployed assistant coach to bring us a LeBron James. That will never happen. They just don’t exist. We are Rhode Island for Christ sakes. If we don’t believe in little guy who does? Give him a chance. We may catch lightning in a bottle. WTF do we have to lose? This is a defining moment. Either you define the moment or the moment defines you.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x