2019 Offseason Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: 2019 Offseason Discussion

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ace wrote: 4 years ago
Missing Dana, Rese and Sheppard.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m also missing Cyril’s hair. I haven’t adjusted to the new look yet.
3 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Dana posted Instagram video working out at BU. Tyrese had video from a MeekMill concert in PA.
Last edited by reckless jake 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Dana posted Instagram video working out at BU. Tyrese had video from a Meek Mill concert in PA.
That’s where Dana’s younger brother is
1 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Is Sheppard here working out with the team?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RAMFAN wrote: 4 years ago Is Sheppard here working out with the team?
Yes.
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Thanks
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

May be off topic but still felt the need to post.

The legendary Charlie O’s closed down today, sad sad time in ‘gansett.

Eastward will never be the same!
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hopefully someone will buy the place and run it right.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Hopefully someone will buy the place and run it right.
It's not changing ownership and the building is not being put on the market. Charlie Samaris still owns the building, he's currently managing Georges. Charlie O's was ran by Chris Simon. From what I know, the place will be renovated and reopened.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Was this anticipated? Sucks to have it closed during the summer months esp. if you worked there.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Was this anticipated? Sucks to have it closed during the summer months esp. if you worked there.
I believe the writing was on the wall for a bit...it certainly wasn't a tourist hot spot by any means, so makes more sense to renovate now as opposed to the winter. Chuck's also has had some of the same bartenders for eons (Carl, Stevie, etc.)

Narragansett is filled with closed businesses!
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Keep disenfranchising the student body that lives Down The Line and that trend will continue. This could be a whole blog by itself...
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Keep disenfranchising the student body that lives Down The Line and that trend will continue. This could be a whole blog by itself...

Narragansett is an interesting place these days! Don’t want to compromise this thread with it, but yes. A blog for sure.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Keep disenfranchising the student body that lives Down The Line and that trend will continue. This could be a whole blog by itself...
If Charlie O’s depended primarily on students no wonder they went out of business.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
If Charlie O’s depended primarily on students no wonder they went out of business.
Kind of wish I knew yesterday was the last day. I would have gone in for a vodka soda.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I consumed a lot of ice cold Fosters beer in those 25 ounce "oil cans"sitting at the bar in Charlie O's.

Funny, later when I made it to Australia and ordered a Fosters an Aussie dude sitting next to me said "...we don't drink that piss down here mate".

Cheers to Charlie O's!!
1 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago I consumed a lot of ice cold Fosters beer in those 25 ounce "oil cans"sitting at the bar in Charlie O's.

Funny, later when I made it to Australia and ordered a Fosters an Aussie dude sitting next to me said "...we don't drink that piss down here mate".

Cheers to Charlie O's!!
I have heard the same from an Australian. It is made up advertising to sell to Americans.
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Charlie O’s customer appreciation night was the best! Always around the first week of December, just as finals were about to start.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago I consumed a lot of ice cold Fosters beer in those 25 ounce "oil cans"sitting at the bar in Charlie O's.

Cheers to Charlie O's!!
Truth be told...one shouldn't be drinking that pizz 'round here either...just sayin'....
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

6 dollar bud light pitchers when I was there from 09-13. What a time..
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago 6 dollar bud light pitchers when I was there from 09-13. What a time..
Shoulda just bought one decent draught and poured it into a pitcher of water...same price, much better taste.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not a Sox fan, but I always liked ordering a Green Monster craft beer there...can't seem to find it served anywhere else around these parts.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Is there anything worse than a beer snob constantly trashing beers people like because it isn't a microbrew? Let us enjoy our light beers in peace, man...
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago 6 dollar bud light pitchers when I was there from 09-13. What a time..
I go a ways back, but the Pub (on campus) had one dollar pitcher night every Monday night. I can't remember what kind of beer it was, but for a buck, I don't think I cared. Oh, and the drinking age was 18.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Those were the days, my friend......
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Those were the days, my friend......
Yes, and it sure was packed during the Blizzard in '78.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggys
Twin Willows
Bon Vue
Beachcomber

Don’t think we ever went to Charlie O’s in college.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ah the Blizzard.....left Almacs in Wakefield when there was 1-2 inches on the ground, and barely made it to my fiancé's house in Bonnet....in 5 miles there was 6 inches by the time I got there.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Iggys
Twin Willows
Bon Vue
Beachcomber

Beachcomber....first bar I ever went to, back in '68...still remember the beer on the floor. The Pier was a rough place then.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Scorpio's...Tin Palace....CatNip Pub....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bon Vue (Friday happy hour and great bands) and Schiller's (Cafferty and Beaver Brown on Wednesdays). I'm not sure how I graduated.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Bon Vue (Friday happy hour and great bands) and Schiller's (Cafferty and Beaver Brown on Wednesdays). I'm not sure how I graduated.
K... my mom has told me about Schiller’s and Beachcomber before. Is schiller’s what is now Spain? And Beachcomber was before the Narragansett Pier was entirely destroyed? I mean the Pier is pretty much as wasteland now. Might as well level it and let tourists throw nuggets of sourdough bread at the seagulls.

Bon Vue I haven’t been in since the fall after I graduated (2006). Part of me wants to head in there and have a drink being that we’ve pretty much lost all of these places.
1 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Iggys
Twin Willows
Bon Vue
Beachcomber

Pretty sure that back in the days of Iggy’s that what is now Charlie O’s was named The Point back then (also had pool tables but was more of a dive bar).
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Back on topic maybe?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Back on topic maybe?
Lol, different threads have gone multiple pages off topic and this has not even one page.

Chill out.
0 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Back on topic maybe?
Lol, different threads have gone multiple pages off topic and this has not even one page.

Chill out.
No, there’s an off topic forum.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I had a lot of good times at Charlie O’s. My friends and I would crush happy hour there at least 3 days a week during my Rhody days. Their draft beers were the best at that point in time. We would drink and play pool for hours. The place was a gold mind. I remember how difficult it was just to find a place to park. Cars would be lined up Point Judith road. When Charlie sold the business to Simon, it was never the same. I remember the day I went in to get drink and play some pool and discovered the pool tables had been completely removed. I told my buddy that this place was going down hill fast. People went to ChalieO’s to drink and play pool. The food was always average bar food but the pool tables and the great drink specials made the place unique. Then they stopped carrying boxing matches and other pay per view events. In the fall/ winter I would say they got about half if not more of their business from URI students. The thing that bothers me to this day that about Charlie O’s is how they never advertised or sponsored anything for URI. Meanwhile, the Mews, 210 Oyster, Matunuk Oyster Bar and even Coast Guard House always sponsor and advertise at URI. Years after I graduated I really didn’t want to go there for that very reason. Hopefully someone revamps it and does things right. It’s still in such a primary location. Just a shame what happened to that place.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Bon Vue (Friday happy hour and great bands) and Schiller's (Cafferty and Beaver Brown on Wednesdays). I'm not sure how I graduated.
K... my mom has told me about Schiller’s and Beachcomber before. Is schiller’s what is now Spain? And Beachcomber was before the Narragansett Pier was entirely destroyed? I mean the Pier is pretty much as wasteland now. Might as well level it and let tourists throw nuggets of sourdough bread at the seagulls.

Bon Vue I haven’t been in since the fall after I graduated (2006). Part of me wants to head in there and have a drink being that we’ve pretty much lost all of these places.
I'm not sure what Schiller's is now. It's been quite a while since I've been down that area. Schiller's was on the water side. Beachcomber was on the other side of the street, pretty close to each other, from what I remember.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Tom98 wrote: 4 years ago I had a lot of good times at Charlie O’s. My friends and I would crush happy hour there at least 3 days a week during my Rhody days. Their draft beers were the best at that point in time. We would drink and play pool for hours. The place was a gold mind. I remember how difficult it was just to find a place to park. Cars would be lined up Point Judith road. When Charlie sold the business to Simon, it was never the same. I remember the day I went in to get drink and play some pool and discovered the pool tables had been completely removed. I told my buddy that this place was going down hill fast. People went to ChalieO’s to drink and play pool. The food was always average bar food but the pool tables and the great drink specials made the place unique. Then they stopped carrying boxing matches and other pay per view events. In the fall/ winter I would say they got about half if not more of their business from URI students. The thing that bothers me to this day that about Charlie O’s is how they never advertised or sponsored anything for URI. Meanwhile, the Mews, 210 Oyster, Matunuk Oyster Bar and even Coast Guard House always sponsor and advertise at URI. Years after I graduated I really didn’t want to go there for that very reason. Hopefully someone revamps it and does things right. It’s still in such a primary location. Just a shame what happened to that place.
Did they do any advertising at all? I'm 10 miles from the place and never would have heard of it, 'cept for thru my kids when they were in school here, or passing by it on the way back from George's.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

One dollar Rolling Rocks I forget which bar offered that ??
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, the Beachcomber was close to Scarborough beach....they called it the Beachcomber 2....the original was in the Pier near the town beach.

And Taylor, Spain used to be Schiller's, which changed hands at least once before it became Spain.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Does anybody remember who took over Schiller's back in the late 70's early 80's?

Went there quite a few times but the name escapes me to this day.

Anybody old enough to also remember Mr. Ups? That became Casey's, my favorite hangout along with Charlie O's.....
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

CharlieOs advertising = IG stories (bingo, taco night, DJ Jut). So literally the only place now is Bon Vue and MAYBE Ticket Tuesday at the Mist.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Beachcomber beat the clock on Wednesday.. everything 25 cents went up a quarter every hour. Paul Wayne on Sundays then across street to beach.. Schiller's $1.00 cover on Fri. Free beer 7-8. Mayhem... Great for my miniscule undergrad budget
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Don't forget the Bonnet Lounge, George Blessing's temple to Frank Sinatra.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

My fondest memories. Beachcomber II toga parties in the fall-winter semester of 1978.
Doing the dying cockroach, drink specials and Gary Gamma standing on the bar hosing
the crowd down with seltzer water.
Beaver Brown at the Beachcomber and all the NY/NJ kids would lose their minds .
The veal parm grinder , stuffy and beer special at Iggys and of course
Friday happy our at the Willows. I would include beat the clock night in
my memories except I don't remember them.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

To get back on topic here,Andy Katz just posted the top 25 players for the Jerry West award. None other than a Fatts Russell checking in at 19. Evans, Grady, Lofton also made the list.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago To get back on topic here,Andy Katz just posted the top 25 players for the Jerry West award. None other than a Fatts Russell checking in at 19. Evans, Grady, Lofton also made the list.
Only took us ~48 hours to get back on topic! :D :lol:

Well done, Fatts!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Shillers became the Blue Door?......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938