General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago If all goes well with no major injuries, I don’t see the freshman playin that much at all.
Would be nice to have a freshman that deserves a spot though.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Adding Toppin sets up a possible red shirt for one of the four freshman. My intuition tells me it would be Madding but he joined the team second semester of last year. Did he red shirt last semester? If so, how would that work going forward?
I don’t see any of the Fr redshirting.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Adding Toppin sets up a possible red shirt for one of the four freshman. My intuition tells me it would be Madding but he joined the team second semester of last year. Did he red shirt last semester? If so, how would that work going forward?
No RS.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
No RS.
None of these players came to URI with any intention of red shirting
I don’t see this happening
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

We have three players returning we can count on (Jeff, Fatts,Cyril) we have three players returning that should be at least rotational player (Martin, Harris, Tate). Everyone else is an unknown and there will be plenty of competition. With the goal having an 9-10 player rotation rather than the 7-8 player rotation we had last year it think there will plenty of minutes to go around.

Also would like to see the average minutes of our big 3 guys reduced because there are worthy backups, so we don’t have to play those guy 35+ minutes down the stretch of the season which will also open some minutes.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago We have three players returning we can count on (Jeff, Fatts,Cyril) we have three players returning that should be at least rotational player (Martin, Harris, Tate). Everyone else is an unknown and there will be plenty of competition. With the goal having an 9-10 player rotation rather than the 7-8 player rotation we had last year it think there will plenty of minutes to go around.

Also would like to see the average minutes of our big 3 guys reduced because there are worthy backups, so we don’t have to play those guy 35+ minutes down the stretch of the season which will also open some minutes.
Walker and Shepard are also proven players and should be part of the rotation. I think we had more of a 6 1/2 man rotation last year because of Harris’ limited minutes. I didn’t consider Omar and Preston part of the rotation although Preston played more before the end of the season which I think helped the team. If you include Walker and Shepard that’s eight and I’ve got to believe one or two of the four freshmen will get some significant playing time. I think it’s going to be Long and Toppin but only time will tell. If so, I still think it sets up a redshirt year for someone more likely now that we are four players in the freshman and sophomore classes.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago We have three players returning we can count on (Jeff, Fatts,Cyril) we have three players returning that should be at least rotational player (Martin, Harris, Tate). Everyone else is an unknown and there will be plenty of competition. With the goal having an 9-10 player rotation rather than the 7-8 player rotation we had last year it think there will plenty of minutes to go around.

Walker and Shepard are also proven players and should be part of the rotation. I think we had more of a 6 1/2 man rotation last year because of Harris’ limited minutes. I didn’t consider Omar and Preston part of the rotation although Preston played more before the end of the season which I think helped the team. If you include Walker and Shepard that’s eight and I’ve got to believe one or two of the four freshmen will get some significant playing time. I think it’s going to be Long and Toppin but only time will tell. If so, I still think it sets up a redshirt year for someone more likely now that we are four players in the freshman and sophomore classes.
I guess it depends on what you consider part of the rotation (avg mins per game). There are very few college teams that have a 10 man rotation where the 10 players avg at least 10 minutes. You only have 200 mins to go around and Jeff and Cyril will avg 30 each.
Try listing the players and avg mins to see how deep your rotation goes. URI will probably have 8 players with 10 mins or more per game.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago

I would not say Walker is proven at all! He may end up being a good player which I think he will, but he has done less than both Martin and even Harris. He wasn’t a top 150 recruit. I have more confidence in the experience from Sheppard, but do think Walker will be a solid contributor. Not a guarantee though.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Honestly I think we all know how this is probably going to work out.. Starting 5 will be Downtin, Fatts, Martin, Harris, Langevine. The biggest jump players make is between their Freshmen and Sophmore years so expect both Martin and Harris to increase their rate of production this upcoming season.

Rotation players will be Walker, Tate, and Sheppard.

Unknowns, the four freshmen all with great upside potential but no sure fire contributor from the jump. The rotation will go 8 with Hammond because of position being the most likely to extend the rotation to 9. Not many teams play a ten man rotation so don’t expect Cox would unless foul trouble occurs.
5 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

For reference, given all the comings and goings-

Dowtin
Langevine

Russell
Sheppard

Harris
Martin
Tate
Walker

Hammond
Long
Toppin

(open)
(open)
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago For reference, given all the comings and goings-

Dowtin
Langevine

Russell
Sheppard

Harris
Martin
Tate
Walker

Hammond
Long
Toppin

(open)
(open)
Looks pretty balanced.
They would probably take a player for any class accept Soph. No need to have a graduating class of five if you can avoid it.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

we also have another a scholarship to fill this year or next with mading leaving to get us to 12
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago we also have another a scholarship to fill this year or next with mading leaving to get us to 12
That is why Ace had two “open” spots.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

i thought the two open spots are for CL and Jeff graduating?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago i thought the two open spots are for CL and Jeff graduating?
No, I just put them there because we don’t know which class the two hypothetical signings will be in- could join the ‘19s or be a transfer- but they represent the 12th and 13th roster spots.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

ace wrote: 5 years ago
bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago i thought the two open spots are for CL and Jeff graduating?
No, I just put them there because we don’t know which class the two hypothetical signings will be in- could join the ‘19s or be a transfer- but they represent the 12th and 13th roster spots.
Gotcha - I'm tracking now
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like a pretty talented 11 don’t see many weak spots ??
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Kuminga kid is a beast have seen him play a few times. He’s also an 18 year old sophomore so there’s that. Yes 18. Has reclassed 2 or 3 times. Looks like a man amongst boys at times.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Kuminga kid is a beast have seen him play a few times. He’s also an 18 year old sophomore so there’s that. Yes 18. Has reclassed 2 or 3 times. Looks like a man amongst boys at times.
He plays on the oldest team in AAU vs ‘20s.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some have raised concern about Rhody’s size upfront after Cyril leaves. I believe they will recruit a PF/C in the ‘20 recruiting class.
I know this is way way too early but take a look how the potential size of the rotation in two years. This shows size throughout the lineup. Team rebounding and switching on D.
PG Wood 6’5”, open
SG Miles 6’7”, Hammond 6’5”
SF Martin 6’6, Long 6’7”
PF Harris 6’9, Tate 6’7
C Walker 6’8”, 20’ recruit 6’8-9”
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It’s certainly shows good length especially for a back court but we got dominated by St Bonn last A10 tourney and by Duke the season before. I’m worried about the front court.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't imagine we have any shot at Dickinson. I know we were recruiting him, but he seems to be out of our league now.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Some have raised concern about Rhody’s size upfront after Cyril leaves. I believe they will recruit a PF/C in the ‘20 recruiting class.
I know this is way way too early but take a look how the potential size of the rotation in two years. This shows size throughout the lineup. Team rebounding and switching on D.
PG Wood 6’5”, open
SG Miles 6’7”, Hammond 6’5”
SF Martin 6’6, Long 6’7”
PF Harris 6’9, Tate 6’7
C Walker 6’8”, 20’ recruit 6’8-9”
Toppin?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I missed Toppin - 6’7” SF. Hoping he is still growing. 6’9” would be nice.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Kuminga kid is a beast have seen him play a few times. He’s also an 18 year old sophomore so there’s that. Yes 18. Has reclassed 2 or 3 times. Looks like a man amongst boys at times.
As he should, he is a 2021 that should be a 2019 based on age. He's a really old sophomore.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
As he should, he is a 2021 that should be a 2019 based on age. He's a really old sophomore.
So his birthday isn’t 10/6/02?

His brother just committed to Texas Tech.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

So the Wood recruitment has me wondering a bit about how much the encouragement on social media from fans actually plays into the thought process of the recruits. I have seen posters on KB criticize fans for interacting with recruits while they are deciding, saying fans should stay out of it. But if we are to believe Wood, he seemingly was loving all the love he was getting from RHODY fans.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago So the Wood recruitment has me wondering a bit about how much the encouragement on social media from fans actually plays into the thought process of the recruits. I have seen posters on KB criticize fans for interacting with recruits while they are deciding, saying fans should stay out of it. But if we are to believe Wood, he seemingly was loving all the love he was getting from RHODY fans.

Fans should stay out of it because it's technically a NCAA violation
2 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And the winner of the RJ Hampton announcement today is................nobody

https://sports.yahoo.com/top-high-schoo ... 40580.html
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

My understanding, is It's only a violation if you "contact" a recruit. Contact can include using his social media @handle. you can tweet: Elijah Wood would be a great fit for URI!
But you can't tweet: @The301elijah would be a great fit for URI!
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago My understanding, is It's only a violation if you "contact" a recruit. Contact can include using his social media @handle. you can tweet: Elijah Wood would be a great fit for URI!
I'm assuming that contact also includes responding to a player's tweet, right?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Shaolin Swat wrote: 4 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago My understanding, is It's only a violation if you "contact" a recruit. Contact can include using his social media @handle. you can tweet: Elijah Wood would be a great fit for URI!
Right
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago
Shaolin Swat wrote: 4 years ago
Right
I think it’s an interesting question...if you look at most of the social media posts when a player gets an offer, the comments are “you will love X school” “X school would be a great choice” etc. Does the NCAA really monitor and take action against overzealous fans, when so much other behind the scenes crap is going on??
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If I place a message in a feed and the NCAA cares about that they can go screw. If Tom Ryan or some booster with really deep pockets makes a comment, I could see the issue.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I did not expect so much roster turnover. I am generally a fan of continuity but the new players seem to have decent talent. I was hoping that Mading would against the odds become URI's version of Kelly OLYNYK not by position played but former guard with a huge late growth spurt.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So they’re still in a recruiting quiet period this weekend?

Looking ahead, I still hate this new recruiting calendar and regulations.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This is the "whisper behind your back" period.

Period The End.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago So they’re still in a recruiting quiet period this weekend?

Looking ahead, I still hate this new recruiting calendar and regulations.
Yes, Quiet Period thru June 12th. Then two day Evaluation Period at the NBPA Top 100 Camp (June 13 & 14).
Then Quiet Periods June 15-20 and 24-27. Evaluation Periods Fri-Sun at sanctioned events run by High School Coaches (June 21-23 & 28-30).

Quiz later on this ;) It sucks.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The whole thing is ridiculous.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Per his Instagram, Coach Boswell is in Los Angeles.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago Per his Instagram, Coach Boswell is in Los Angeles.
He isn’t recruiting. Probably vacation.
The team practices Mon-Thurs.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Too bad, I thought he might be meeting with J'Raan Brooks, the 6-9 transfer from Southern Cal who hasn't commited anywhere as of yet.

What's a vacation?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Interesting list. Not sure how it is selected but definitely not the top 123 players for ‘20s & ‘21s. Expressions has at least 6 players there including Alexis Reyes who plays on the 16U team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 4 years ago
Always interesting to see who rises above the group and plays in the Top 25 game on Sunday.

2D221E85-9F86-4C78-B4AD-1F1364D1A199.png
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago Per his Instagram, Coach Boswell is in Los Angeles.
He isn’t recruiting. Probably vacation.
The team practices Mon-Thurs.
Pangos All American Camp is this Fri,Sat,Sun in LA
Top 100+ HS Players Invitation Only
Excellent networking environment too
Loaded with Pro Basketball Scouts as well
1 x