UConn introduces PSL requirement for season tickets

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
RF1
Ernie Calverley

UConn introduces PSL requirement for season tickets

Unread post by RF1 »

Mike Anthony: UConn men’s basketball season ticket changes puts school at risk of losing some longtime fans

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-me ... story.html

There is no more effective way to irritate or alienate fans than to muck up the way they follow their favorite team while simultaneously trying to siphon money from their wallet.

And that is what UConn, as part of an otherwise prudent move, has done to a faction of the men’s basketball fan base. Some longtime season ticket holders are beside themselves with the university’s new “Scholarship Seating Program,” which requires a per-seat donation in addition to the cost of the ticket.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: UConn introduces PSL requirement for season tickets

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Many schools have PSL's on their season tickets -- I'm surprised by the whining about this and surprised UCONN didn't introduce this over a decade ago. Need to be proactive, not reactive.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RJ, what's the seat license cost range at PC? Sorry I am too lazy to look it up.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago RJ, what's the seat license cost range at PC? Sorry I am too lazy to look it up.
The breakdown is from $0 to $2800 (at least as of a year ago).
All upper corners and upper endzones have no PSL.
Courtside pays $2,800.
Dead center court (one section either side) pays $800.
The two sections on either side dead center (near the start of the bench) are $450.
The two sections on the either side of those (towards the end of the bench) are $325.
Lower corners and the 5 upper middle sections on either side are $225.
Lower endzone seating (students excluded) are $115.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thanks. Doesn’t seem that bad if the license fee replaces the normal annual gift to RAMS fund or PC equivalent. However can’t take advantage of company matched donations.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago RJ, what's the seat license cost range at PC? Sorry I am too lazy to look it up.
Courtside pays $2,800.
The two sections on either side dead center (near the start of the bench) are $450.
The two sections on the either side of those (towards the end of the bench) are $325.

The seat licenses that PC promoted sales of by using the 100% public funded renovation of the Dunkin Donuts as partial justification. $100M dollars of RI taxpayer money spent (which is still ongoing with annual subsidies) with PC making out big by by not contributing a cent to the improved facility and then later selling PSL's and keeping ALL the money for themselves.

$100M in state funds for the DDC
$23M in state funds for the new PawSox stadium
Only in RI would the first project get approved by lawmakers with little debate while the second struggles to get through and has onerous provision added
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

With PC's TV money, higher attendance figures, higher media rights income, etc, how are they still suffering for more money? I wonder if PC fans think on court results are in line with expenses passed down to them.

RJ, do you know what the % of season tix holders were donating to the school before the PSLs? I bet the number was pretty small since so few attended? Bad assumption?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago With PC's TV money, higher attendance figures, higher media rights income, etc, how are they still suffering for more money? I wonder if PC fans think on court results are in line with expenses passed down to them.

RJ, do you know what the % of season tix holders were donating to the school before the PSLs? I bet the number was pretty small since so few attended? Bad assumption?
I wouldnt say PC is suffering for money. Donations and revenue are the highest they’ve ever been, but they are also being distributed back to the program. Of course everyone wants more money, but it’s not like the program is in financial disarray. There are a lot more donors through PSLs then before, but I think it’s more lower-end donors.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Courtside pays $2,800.

The seat licenses that PC promoted sales of by using the 100% public funded renovation of the Dunkin Donuts as partial justification. $100M dollars of RI taxpayer money spent (which is still ongoing with annual subsidies) with PC making out big by by not contributing a cent to the improved facility and then later selling PSL's and keeping ALL the money for themselves.

$100M in state funds for the DDC
$23M in state funds for the new PawSox stadium
Only in RI would the first project get approved by lawmakers with little debate while the second struggles to get through and has onerous provision added
It’s a creative story but it’s a large stretch on reality.
The DDC needed improvements independent of its renters.
Do I believe PC and the P-Bruins had a seat at the table telling them they type of stuff they’d like to see?
Sure do.
Do I believe there were extra costs added that the taxpayers paid for?
Sure do.
Do I believe this number is any greater than a few million?
Sure don’t — Many of these changes were going to be made irregardless of what the renters said.
The story you have crafted does not account for government/budget changes from the DDC planning in 20005 to the Pawsox planning in 2018.
Could the government had done more for the Pawsox?
Sure do.
Do I believe they were ever in a position to make a deal like Worcester?
No chance.
It crafts a great narrative for you, but I think it’s a plot with many holes.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PC through the generosity and largess of RI taxpayers has been able spend much of their funds on other athletic facilities. With zero capital expense for the facility most directly tied to the great majority of its athletic dept revenues (the DDC), the school was able to invest in their men's basketball practice facility, upgrade Schneider, and build a new lacrosse/soccer complex. The school which has only about 10% of its enrollment from RI, has greatly benefited financially from the state's residents.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago Do I believe they were ever in a position to make a deal like Worcester?
No chance.
It crafts a great narrative for you, but I think it’s a plot with many holes.
RI didn't have to make a deal like Worcester and MA. Worcester would not have had a chance at the team had RI legislators approved the initial proposed deal a year earlier. Pawtucket still had exclusive rights then and the team had helped craft the deal and was ready to sign on. The exclusive rights expired in 2017 and gave Worcester a year to come up with a much better deal (nearly 3x times more public funding). Pawtucket and RI would never have been able to offer that but had they acted a year earlier, it would not have been necessary. The dysfunction of state government and its feet dragging allowed the team to find a better deal.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago PC through the generosity and largess of RI taxpayers has been able spend much of their funds on other athletic facilities. With zero capital expense for the facility most directly tied to the great majority of its athletic dept revenues (the DDC), the school was able to invest in their men's basketball practice facility, upgrade Schneider, and build a new lacrosse/soccer complex. The school which has only about 10% of its enrollment from RI, has greatly benefited financially from the state's residents.
It’s not PCs fault that they rent though. Even if you wanted to argue that the $1 million (rough figure) is not enough, I would tell you that’s fairly consistent with what other college basketball renters pay. Heck, I believe DePaul was offered 10 years free rent to not construct their own arena. It’s because those places realize it’s not just about the rent, but the revenues spent in the surrounding community (restaurants/bars), parking, and concessions that otherwise would not have been there but add up very fast. Sure, PC benefits from not having to worry about upkeep on its own basketball stadium and can reinvest into other buckets. I would just tell you it’s not their fault.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago PC through the generosity and largess of RI taxpayers has been able spend much of their funds on other athletic facilities. With zero capital expense for the facility most directly tied to the great majority of its athletic dept revenues (the DDC), the school was able to invest in their men's basketball practice facility, upgrade Schneider, and build a new lacrosse/soccer complex. The school which has only about 10% of its enrollment from RI, has greatly benefited financially from the state's residents.
It’s not PCs fault that they rent though. Even if you wanted to argue that the $1 million (rough figure) is not enough, I would tell you that’s fairly consistent with what other college basketball renters pay. Heck, I believe DePaul was offered 10 years free rent to not construct their own arena. It’s because those places realize it’s not just about the rent, but the revenues spent in the surrounding community (restaurants/bars), parking, and concessions that otherwise would not have been there but add up very fast. Sure, PC benefits from not having to worry about upkeep on its own basketball stadium and can reinvest into other buckets. I would just tell you it’s not their fault.
Glad you brought up Depaul as an example as it further helps make my point.

Depaul contributed $70M upfront toward the construction cost of the publicly owned Wintrust Arena.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Glad you brought up Depaul as an example as it further helps make my point.

Depaul contributed $70M upfront toward the construction cost of the publicly owned Wintrust Arena.
It’s comparing apples to oranges. DePaul wanted to construct its own arena. Allstate (where they were playing) offered them a 10-year rent free deal. DePaul basketball was going to be the major attraction and their capital was the only way to get the deal done, so they contributed and got the deal done. While rehabbing the Dunk benefitted PC, it was a pre-existing facility that hosted another professional sports team. If they didn’t rehab it, were they supposed to let it crumble?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

INDISPUTABLE FACT
Depaul contributed $70M for public arena where it will play its basketball games
Providence College contributed ZERO for public arena where it will play its basketball games
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago INDISPUTABLE FACT
Depaul contributed $70M for public arena where it will play its basketball games
Providence College contributed ZERO for public arena where it will play its basketball games
DePaul wanted to build its own arena. They had plans to build their own arena. Yes, it became a “public” arena due to the amount of funds utilized, but it was an arena built by DePaul for DePaul.

That is 1000x different than the DDC. The DDC is a public arena that required significant renovations to make it a viable facility. They could have done nothing until the place crumbled away rendering it useless.

The only way the comparison would be the same is if the state built a brand new arena just for PC while the DDC was sitting there right down the road.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

DePaul wanted to build its own arena. They had plans to build their own arena. Yes, it became a “public” arena due to the amount of funds utilized, but it was an arena built by DePaul for DePaul.

That is 1000x different than the DDC. The DDC is a public arena that required significant renovations to make it a viable facility. They could have done nothing until the place crumbled away rendering it useless.

The only way the comparison would be the same is if the state built a brand new arena just for PC while the DDC was sitting there right down the road.

blah blah blah

You can believe what you want even if it is wrong.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

blah blah blah

You can believe what you want even if it is wrong.
Not wrong but all good. Can’t have a conversation with someone who ignores logic because it doesn’t fit the agenda.

I would however challenge you to find a true comparison - schools who are renters who contributed to the renovations of their existing facility.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Depaul contributed $82.5M for public arena where it will play its basketball games (apart from its annual rent)
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The University of Louisville pays from $3.8M to $4.3M annually to use the downtown publicly owned KFC YUM center under a new agreement.

Source: U of L will offer to pay $75M more and give up dates in KFC Yum Center deal
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 492930001/

Worth noting that the 18,865 seat Freedom Hall arena, the former longtime home of Cardinal basketball which is far closer to the school, was also an available option for UofL.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

In an interview with the DePaulia, Ponsetto said the university made sure that the project would not fall on the back of student tuition. Instead, the money used to pay for DePaul’s share of the arena — which includes $82.5 million in building costs and $445,000 in annual rent — was generated by the Athletic Department through corporate sponsorships, naming rights, fundraising and paid attendance, she said.

The DePaulia
February 26, 2018
https://depauliaonline.com/33219/sports ... mains-low/
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1,
I will say I do appreciate you responding in a positive manner to my last post trying to find information.
The problem is, you chose Louisville, who the people in the area are pissed at.
Freedom Hall was never a real option, the reason YUM! came to be in the first place was the fact that Louisville knew FH was going to take hundreds in millions in renovations back in 2005 and was never going to be in the image they projected for the program.
They knew that they needed a new arena, and had begun to explore plans on building their own.
However, politicians in the area saw the opportunity to build a beautiful downtown arena and make Louisville it's anchor program, and that's how the YUM! Center came to be and how Louisville did not build it's own facility at that time.
That is also the complete opposite of what you have been arguing against -A $450 million public arena primarily to house Louisville athletics, and Louisville did not pay a dime, although it's not just men's basketball playing there, but women's basketball as well (and at one point, volleyball).
The lease agreement given has proven extraordinarily advantageous to Louisville to make them happy, who has reportedly made $20 million annually from ticket sales, concessions, premium suite deals, advertising, and additional revenue.
Think of this -- Louisville making 88% of all private suite revenue, 50% on all concession revenue, plus extra benefits for a public arena.
Louisville is doing 2.5-3x in attendance than PC, making all those numbers more significant.
That's why Louisville increased their rent, it wasn't out of the goodness of their heart, it was the fact they were being harassed to the point where building their own arena reentered the equation, and they eventually landed in that range which all parties agreed seemed fair.
They came to a deal which definitely cost them more, but they are still profiting royally from the YUM!
Comparative to PC, PC pays $32K + $2 per ticket per game, but gets nothing from concessions, private suite deals, etc.
So that $3.8 million to $4.3 million figure isn't necessarily as great as it seems given their concessions/suite cut, especially considering it includes dates for women's games as well.
Even if PC is underpaying some, I think you are going to find their current rent or payment structure is not egregious and in line with most of their peers.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago RF1,
I will say I do appreciate you responding in a positive manner to my last post trying to find information.
The problem is, you chose Louisville, who the people in the area are pissed at.
Freedom Hall was never a real option, the reason YUM! came to be in the first place was the fact that Louisville knew FH was going to take hundreds in millions in renovations back in 2005 and was never going to be in the image they projected for the program.
They knew that they needed a new arena, and had begun to explore plans on building their own.
However, politicians in the area saw the opportunity to build a beautiful downtown arena and make Louisville it's anchor program, and that's how the YUM! Center came to be and how Louisville did not build it's own facility at that time.
That is also the complete opposite of what you have been arguing against -A $450 million public arena primarily to house Louisville athletics, and Louisville did not pay a dime, although it's not just men's basketball playing there, but women's basketball as well (and at one point, volleyball).
The lease agreement given has proven extraordinarily advantageous to Louisville to make them happy, who has reportedly made $20 million annually from ticket sales, concessions, premium suite deals, advertising, and additional revenue.
Think of this -- Louisville making 88% of all private suite revenue, 50% on all concession revenue, plus extra benefits for a public arena.
Louisville is doing 2.5-3x in attendance than PC, making all those numbers more significant.
That's why Louisville increased their rent, it wasn't out of the goodness of their heart, it was the fact they were being harassed to the point where building their own arena reentered the equation, and they eventually landed in that range which all parties agreed seemed fair.
They came to a deal which definitely cost them more, but they are still profiting royally from the YUM!
Comparative to PC, PC pays $32K + $2 per ticket per game, but gets nothing from concessions, private suite deals, etc.
So that $3.8 million to $4.3 million figure isn't necessarily as great as it seems given their concessions/suite cut, especially considering it includes dates for women's games as well.
Even if PC is underpaying some, I think you are going to find their current rent or payment structure is not egregious and in line with most of their peers.
All of the lville mojo above...Thanks to....? Just think of the deal/value he'd bring to the Friars...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RJ if you are even hinting that RI cronyism hasn't greatly benefitted PC basketball you need to just stop...beyond the many examples RF1 cited its basically accepted fact that PC owns the statehouse, and the RI statehouse is a house of crooks. Justify it any way you want, or just be a human and call it like it is. It's not PCs fault, it's just the fact of the matter.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI will eventually require PSL's.

Count on it.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago RJ if you are even hinting that RI cronyism hasn't greatly benefitted PC basketball you need to just stop...beyond the many examples RF1 cited its basically accepted fact that PC owns the statehouse, and the RI statehouse is a house of crooks. Justify it any way you want, or just be a human and call it like it is. It's not PCs fault, it's just the fact of the matter.
Sure, PC has benefitted from the state at times, but the conspiracy is not as significant as you think and all of the examples RF1 were desperation heaves with little comparative value.

Scenario: PC pays rent to play at an aging Dunkin Donuts Center. It is determined that the arena is not in good condition and is in need of significant renovations, not just to pacify it's existing tenants but to continue attempting to land higher-profile events. It is decided that significant renovations will occur. Enhancements were much appreciated by it's existing tenants, and also helped the city of Providence land as a 1st/2nd round NCAA Tournament site multiple times, etc.

RF1 Scenario 1: DePaul plays basketball at the Allstate Arena. DePaul decides they would no longer like to play at the Allstate Arena, and would like to explore building their own facility. Allstate Arena does not want that to happen, and offers DePaul a 10 year rent free contract to continue to play basketball there. Rather than fund the entire new arena themselves, DePaul is able to come to an agreement with the city on allocation of public funds.

RF1 Scenario 2: Louisville plays basketball at Freedom Hall. The program would like to build a new arena. Local politicians would like to build a new arena in downtown Louisville and they convince Louisville to not build it's own arena and pay for it with public funds, while giving Louisville significant cut of all private suites, concessions, etc as incentive for not having their own arena. Only recently under public pressure over how great of a deal Louisville was getting was their lease amended for them to pay more, while still receiving cuts from other revenue sources inside the public arena.

It's not hard to say "Well look, DePaul paid $70+ million towards their arena" or "Louisville pays $4 million in rent," but that does not tell the whole story. All three scenarios are all very different from one another.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If no improvements were made for The Dunk don't you think PC would eventually desire to build their own arena, make that known, and then be in the same scenario the city of Chicago was in with the Depaul situation?

And beyond the NCAA events can you give me 1 more example of more "high profile events" that have come to DDC as a result of the renos? Their music lineup is a shell of what it used to be, name brand acts/big draws skip RI altogether and play Mohegan and TD Garden. I cannot think off top of head of 1 big time event that Providence has attracted that they couldn't have done without renos, that said I do not live local anymore so maybe there are others I am not aware of? However it seems that the single greatest benefactor to the renos has been the PC basketball program and to infer that isn't because many of the decision makers in the statehouse. are actual fans of the program, or connected to PC in some way, is erroneous.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago If no improvements were made for The Dunk don't you think PC would eventually desire to build their own arena, make that known, and then be in the same scenario the city of Chicago was in with the Depaul situation?

And beyond the NCAA events can you give me 1 more example of more "high profile events" that have come to DDC as a result of the renos? Their music lineup is a shell of what it used to be, name brand acts/big draws skip RI altogether and play Mohegan and TD Garden. I cannot think off top of head of 1 big time event that Providence has attracted that they couldn't have done without renos, that said I do not live local anymore so maybe there are others I am not aware of? However it seems that the single greatest benefactor to the renos has been the PC basketball program and to infer that isn't because many of the decision makers in the statehouse. are actual fans of the program, or connected to PC in some way, is erroneous.
Sure if no improvements were made PC would have had to find other alternatives and they greatly benefitted from the decision to rehab the Dunk but should the city/state just have let its primary entertainment venue burn to the ground?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It is my fervent hope that we require PSL's in the future....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago If no improvements were made for The Dunk don't you think PC would eventually desire to build their own arena, make that known, and then be in the same scenario the city of Chicago was in with the Depaul situation?

Sure if no improvements were made PC would have had to find other alternatives and they greatly benefitted from the decision to rehab the Dunk but should the city/state just have let its primary entertainment venue burn to the ground?
But again, since you ignored this part, can you substantiate this statement you made with 1 example "but to continue attempting to land higher-profile events"....name 1 high profile event the DDC has attracted besides the NCAA tourney. Even just 1 would give you some credibility to use that line instead of using it to justify your biased opinion.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

DDC is a joke. I do think PC pays comparable rent to peers but they certainly got the better end of the deal. It is much cheaper for them to rent then to build their own stadium. Taxpayers will never recoup on their investment for the DDC improvements. Those DDC improvements were made with PC as the #1 priority with taxpayers left to pay for it. It's a useless venue. All the other entertainment (with the exception of a WWE live show) that they have come could fit in an arena half the size.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I saw Mumford and Sons recently at the Dunk....opening act was Cat Power.....

I also saw James Taylor there recently opened by Bonnie Raitt....

Other than that I can't remember anything else
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago

But again, since you ignored this part, can you substantiate this statement you made with 1 example "but to continue attempting to land higher-profile events"....name 1 high profile event the DDC has attracted besides the NCAA tourney. Even just 1 would give you some credibility to use that line instead of using it to justify your biased opinion.
I’m no expert on live entertainment at the Dunk, but I do believe in the last decade or so they have hosted Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, were supposed to host Linkin Park (cancelled show), Carrie Underwood, Journey, Justin Bieber, Demi Lovato, Green Day, The Who, Elton John, & Migos. I know coming up they have dates for John Mayer and Michael Buble. They’ve continued to host high-profile WWE events, etc. I’m not a big wrestling guy but I believe one of the pivotal moments on Daniel Bryan’s rise to title was a cage match at the Dunk.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago RJ if you are even hinting that RI cronyism hasn't greatly benefitted PC basketball you need to just stop...beyond the many examples RF1 cited its basically accepted fact that PC owns the statehouse, and the RI statehouse is a house of crooks. Justify it any way you want, or just be a human and call it like it is. It's not PCs fault, it's just the fact of the matter.

Knowing how things operate in RI, don't be shocked to see a state politician propose the money losing DDC reduce PC's rent so the Friars can afford Cooley's big raise.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago It is my fervent hope that we require PSL's in the future....
And we will lose season ticket holders such as myself.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Most schools that don’t have PSLs have points which is a more flexible example of PSLs. If you think about it, people who donate more get more points which gets them higher priority during seat selection season. So instead of voluntarily donating, people’s donations are partially (or totally) guaranteed into the PSLs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But as was already stated, donations can and do receive matching by many companies. Donate $1000 and Company matches $1000

PSL’s have no marching.

PC has benefited greatly from the Rhode Island Taxpayer but then they introduce the PSLs and keep that money to themselves.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago But as was already stated, donations can and do receive matching by many companies. Donate $1000 and Company matches $1000

PSL’s have no marching.

PC has benefited greatly from the Rhode Island Taxpayer but then they introduce the PSLs and keep that money to themselves.
PSLs May have no matching but should still equate to more dollars for the program since more people should have sizeable donations who may have not previously donated.

And why should PC be paying out PSLs to anyone but themselves?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago But as was already stated, donations can and do receive matching by many companies. Donate $1000 and Company matches $1000

PSL’s have no marching.

PSLs May have no matching but should still equate to more dollars for the program since more people should have sizeable donations who may have not previously donated.

If you allowed priority of seating based on level of donation then the best seats would be allocated to those who gave the mower to the University. For most who give, they can get matching donations from their employer. this can also double the donation dollars in many cases.
In addition, there will be a connection and a history between the university and the buyer of the tickets.

In the PSL world the seats become property of the buyer. In many cases this can be a person with little or no connection to the university and be a ticket scalper. The seats are sold be Vivid, StubHub, Ticketmaster, etc. the seats will have different people in them, or nobody at all.
I’d much prefer the best seats in the house go to long term, loyal, committed URI donors than to scalping people/companies where it is only about the money.
If you want more money, then raise the costs of the prime seat tickets. Assign seating priority to those who donate the most to the school.

I’d much rather give high priority to the people who gave for the new football turf and the new football lights than to some anonymous PSL buyer who may not even be a URI fan, just in it to make a profit reselling courtside tickets, basically auctioning them off.

As to why PC should not be keeping the PSL money? PC does not own the Dunk. Taxpayers do. PSLs give ownership of the seats away. Often gives the seat purchasing power for all events such as WWE, hockey, globetrotters, concerts,NCAA tournament ticket priority, etc. I, not familiar with PC PSLs but that is often how it works. So why should PC be able to sell seat licenses to an arena that the Taxpayers own?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Because the school bilked RI taxpayers and the facility purchase and renovation it helped muscle through loses money.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PSL’s have no marching.

I don’t see where PC has PSLs. Looks to me like seat assignments are based on level of giving. Does not look the the PSLs that UCONN has.

https://www.friarsforeverathleticfund.c ... evels.html
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Not for anything Ramster, but ticket scalpers are not purchasing seasons tickets to PC or URI. Maybe if the venue was sold out due to season ticket holders, but the people spending $$$ on great seats are going to be people tied to the program and who care about the program. It is on the school to price their PSLs accordingly and not make it so extreme that it outprices most of its fan base.

As for the PSL and why PC should keep the money, their agreement is that they receive all money for ticket sales except for $2 per game per ticket. So whether PC charged $15, $25, $50, or $100, those are their prices to charge. So when it comes to PSLs, that is revenue that they drive and that they keep. So I’m not sure why at that point they would have to turn and hand off PSLs to the venue when they are responsible for filling it.

As for PCs PSL, I’m not sure how old this is but it was the first link I could find and is in the ballpark of what we pay now: https://www.friarsforeverathleticfund.c ... harts.html
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If my memory serves me right, PC introduced PSL's immediately after the very costly DDC purchase and renovation of the DDC on the back of RI taxpayers. It very hypocritically contributed ZERO toward the project yet used the renovation as justification in marketing these seats licenses.

The DDC continues to bleed money costing RI taxpayers while PC makes out. Something is very wrong with that scenario. Makes it look even worse considering the Pawsox were going to finance 55% of the cost for a stadium in Pawtucket that many politicians were against yet 100% of the cost for the much more expensive DDC was financed via public funds. It was criminal that the state did not require the two main tenants of the DDC (Bruins and Friars) to contribute in some way. They got public welfare in the form of a renovated arena which allowed them to generate even more revenues which they keep.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

PC are renters, they should pay absolutely $0 towards renovations. You don’t rent a house for someone, have the fridge, sink, dishwasher, washer, dryer, shower, and garage door go, and say “Hey, let’s give you $X to pay for that.” You call the person up and say “You need to fix this stuff ASAP.” Yes, all those updates are beneficial to the renter, but it’s not their responsibility to fix them. They are renters of a 40 year old building, not owners. So sure, you clearly wanted minimal money invested into the Dunk rendering it and outdated venue that PC and the P-Bruins would eventually have to move from, leaving an empty shell of a building in downtown Providence, but the state decided to update that building, keep its existing tenants happy, attract a few higher-quality events, and have a space capable of handling higher-quality demand when necessary. It’s over, it happened 15 years ago now. Get over it. The state was never going to let the DDC go to waste, regardless of whether PC, URI, or Donald Trump was it’s primary tenant.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

My dream is predicated on sell outs of season tickets. Until then you seat according to donation level. There would still be tickets available to die hard fans because the base is not sold out. I guess my dream would be better defined by hoping we sell out all available season tickets and then have to implement giving level and PSL’s to get one.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PC cronies pushed through the DDC project and soaked RI taxpayers. If PC wanted such an updated building, it should have either built its own or contributed like Depaul did to a greatly modernized arena. The state of RI was demanding that Pawsox ownership contributed the majority of the construction cost for a new ballpark even though they would not own it. Any talk about PC just being a renter and should not contribute is a total cop out. The Bruins and Friars wanted a renovated arena and should have paid for some of it as they stood to gain the most. RI taxpayers got a royal screw job from PC. PC administrators laugh all the way to the bank when they make their annual trip to deposit their PSL money. Ultimate con job on the poor people of RI.
0 x