Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodysk
ARD

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Every year I ask for 1 improvement to the Ryan center and its an absolute shame it never gets done.

My bitch is to start having banners hanging with former players and years at school. You don’t have to retire there number or anything just something that shows we have a HISTORY!
So sad that they don’t do this. It’s just really sad some of these great players from the past don’t get recognized.

You could even do the same for football. All though a small amount of past players but still.

And don’t give me the crap about the Hall of Fame plaques that surrounds the Ryan center. No one is buying tickets to the Ryan center to search for a former players plaque, when all they have to do is sit in there seat and look up.

Hey Thor could you imagine how good it would look on TV!

Ok ok that’s my rant for today.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodysk wrote: 5 years ago Every year I ask for 1 improvement to the Ryan center and its an absolute shame it never gets done.

My bitch is to start having banners hanging with former players and years at school. You don’t have to retire there number or anything just something that shows we have a HISTORY!
So sad that they don’t do this. It’s just really sad some of these great players from the past don’t get recognized.

You could even do the same for football. All though a small amount of past players but still.

And don’t give me the crap about the Hall of Fame plaques that surrounds the Ryan center. No one is buying tickets to the Ryan center to search for a former players plaque, when all they have to do is sit in there seat and look up.

There’s one for Robert Carothers. :roll: I mean, yes, he was the president when the RC came to fruition, but why not have a Frank Keaney one at least? FFS!
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 5 years ago I've had season tickets in Section 314 Row A for four years. Just got a call from the Ryan Center that they are kicking me out of my seats in order to expand the student section to 314 next season.

(They offered to move me to 302 or give me the end zone rate in 313 for two years -- I chose the latter, given that Row A was available, but I'm still a little annoyed even though I support the possibility that more students will potentially mean a more raucous atmosphere for the big games we have coming up this season.)
Why are they doing this? Can't imagine they need more seats. Seems to me there were few times this past season the student sections were ever full. Are they just swapping sections where they will place them?
I do not know the official answer, but my guess might be that they’re making sections 101ish (end zone by Rhody bench) open. It’s been designated as a student section but I’ve noticed they typically use those seats for the kid groups who sing the anthem or play on the court during halftime and not very many students are sat there. Just a hunch. Also, I noticed Rude Ticket Lady is always stalking this section asking for people’s tickets.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I just want to bring a ‘gansett back to my seat...
6 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 5 years ago I've had season tickets in Section 314 Row A for four years. Just got a call from the Ryan Center that they are kicking me out of my seats in order to expand the student section to 314 next season.

(They offered to move me to 302 or give me the end zone rate in 313 for two years -- I chose the latter, given that Row A was available, but I'm still a little annoyed even though I support the possibility that more students will potentially mean a more raucous atmosphere for the big games we have coming up this season.)
Why are they doing this? Can't imagine they need more seats. Seems to me there were few times this past season the student sections were ever full. Are they just swapping sections where they will place them?
I do not know the official answer, but my guess might be that they’re making sections 101ish (end zone by Rhody bench) open. It’s been designated as a student section but I’ve noticed they typically use those seats for the kid groups who sing the anthem or play on the court during halftime and not very many students are sat there. Just a hunch. Also, I noticed Rude Ticket Lady is always stalking this section asking for people’s tickets.
I believe these sections (107-109) were reserved for student athletes. The ramettes also sat in that section this season. They did start putting groups there as the season progressed and seemed not to be used by many students.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

I graduated in 2012 and often arrive to games in my work uniform... badge and all. She, on several occasions, has still attempted to stop me en-route to my seat and direct me to the student section. She’s the worst. Lol
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I got an email from athletics that contains a survey, so here's another chance to let them know what you think
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

First order of business should be removing Carothers from the rafters.
8 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yep got the survey as well. Noticed the specific question about bringing alcohol back to your seats again. So a chance that change is coming in that area.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

STC wrote: 5 years ago First order of business should be removing Carothers from the rafters.
Demon Carothers, begone!
10 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I know I'm in the minority, but I put 8:00 for weeknight games. I would get season tickets if that was the starting time. I work until 6;00 and I'm over an hour away from Kingston. Even 7:30 might get me to buy seasons.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Yep got the survey as well. Noticed the specific question about bringing alcohol back to your seats again. So a chance that change is coming in that area.
I think it was there last year, too, wasn't it? And the only alcohol that ever made it to my seat last year was the alcohol I brought in myself...
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Yep got the survey as well. Noticed the specific question about bringing alcohol back to your seats again. So a chance that change is coming in that area.
I think it was there last year, too, wasn't it? And the only alcohol that ever made it to my seat last year was the alcohol I brought in myself...
I don't remember, it might have been. At least they are still asking about it. Means it's at least possible. I feel like its more when then if.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I know I'm in the minority, but I put 8:00 for weeknight games. I would get season tickets if that was the starting time. I work until 6;00 and I'm over an hour away from Kingston. Even 7:30 might get me to buy seasons.
They would lose more season ticket holders if they made the start time 8:00. Game would end around 10:30. Estimate people get to their car and out of parking lot/on road at 11:00. Some people work early, some have kids, some have a long ride home from the RC. No way they take the risk with season ticket holders on the increase last year and this year.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

[quote=Rhody83 post_id=404338 time=1558647262 user_id=1319]
[quote=Billyboy78 post_id=404334 time=1558642939 user_id=162]
I know I'm in the minority, but I put 8:00 for weeknight games. I would get season tickets if that was the starting time. I work until 6;00 and I'm over an hour away from Kingston. Even 7:30 might get me to buy seasons.
[/quote]

They would lose more season ticket holders if they made the start time 8:00. Game would end around 10:30. Estimate people get to their car and out of parking lot/on road at 11:00. Some people work early, some have kids, some have a long ride home from the RC. No way they take the risk with season ticket holders on the increase last year and this year.
[/quote]

Yes, as I said, I know I'm in the minority.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rhodysk wrote: 5 years ago Every year I ask for 1 improvement to the Ryan center and its an absolute shame it never gets done.

Hate to bring up to bring up those hated Huskies but they do a good job with this. There are a number of small banners along one wall with all their honored players, men and women. About 20 of each. Plus posters of various players on the walls.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

STC wrote: 5 years ago First order of business should be removing Carothers from the rafters.
Dry Campus Bobby
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago

Hate to bring up to bring up those hated Huskies but they do a good job with this. There are a number of small banners along one wall with all their honored players, men and women. About 20 of each. Plus posters of various players on the walls.
UConn fans in game experience just got a lot worse with annual seat license fees for both Gampel and the XL Center. Some season ticket holders will be paying $3,000+ per year in seat licensing fees on top of their ticket prices. They are trying to chip away at that $40 million annual athletic department deficit any way they can.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Game start times are driven by TV contract. You won’t see a change from 7pm starts unless TV network wants it.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Game start times are driven by TV contract. You won’t see a change from 7pm starts unless TV network wants it.
I agree but so what was the point of even having the question in the survey?
1 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

For non NBC, CBS, ESPN games.
1 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Listen to this man.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Yes UConn does it real good but so don’t every other university expect Rhode Island I guess.

I’m guessing the banner would cost maybe $100-$150, can the athletic department not afford that?

Just doesn’t make sense at all.
We are a school that has to teach people about our history because it doesn’t look like we have any.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Even something as simple as some pictures along the concourse/stairways of past players/teams. Thinking of the pictures on the ramps of MCCoy stadium.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago Even something as simple as some pictures along the concourse/stairways of past players/teams. Thinking of the pictures on the ramps of MCCoy stadium.
Haha that’s where they have pictures of past performers at the RC. One time Bill Cosby performed there and I believe they covered him up with a Brian Griffin cutout.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Rhodysk wrote: 5 years ago

I’m guessing the banner would cost maybe $100-$150, can the athletic department not afford that?
Closer to $400-$500 unless you want to replace them every year.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

How do we petition to get rid of the Carother's banner? That thing needs to go.
6 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The Great Purge. First Cosby now Carothers✅
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago Even something as simple as some pictures along the concourse/stairways of past players/teams. Thinking of the pictures on the ramps of MCCoy stadium.
The guy that replaced my knees has his photo on the wall in the stairway!
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I think I actually know that guy 😂
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago How do we petition to get rid of the Carother's banner? That thing needs to go.
Maybe we can all pool together some money and have a banner that says “Love, your KB.com friends”
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think I actually know that guy 😂
For me...he deserves his wall of fame spot!
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago How do we petition to get rid of the Carother's banner? That thing needs to go.
Maybe we can all pool together some money and have a banner that says “Love, your KB.com friends”
Or soak it in 151 and flambé it.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......my guess is that the Carothers banner is going to stay, maybe other much more relevant historical banner displays would make the Carothers banner fade out, can’t Athletics commission a URI basketball historical display in the RC......think big.....or have a student committee do it!!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I got an email from athletics that contains a survey, so here's another chance to let them know what you think
Whey they ask for - "Other suggested premium giveaways"

Please...everyone put Frisbees....think of it...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago
Or soak it in 151 and flambé it.
There you have it...blind hatred leads to wasting perfectly good alcohol...
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Over the weekend, I renewed my season tickets. I’ve had the same seats for over 5 years and my confirmation email listed my same seats.

This morning I got a call from URI saying my seats weren’t available because I missed a May 1st deadline. I admit I received the blast emails and voicemails about a May 1st date but these actions, like prior years, appeared to be solicitation of an early bird special where URI will give you a free jersey if you renew early. Not a notice that we’ll be moving your seats after 5+ years. (URI has my mailing address, send me a letter)

Anyone have any insight into the reason for this policy? I hope the intended purpose of this reshuffling policy is the result of giving the students better (mid-court) seating. I would gladly move for the students or for displaced season ticket holders who had better seating than me, especially if the move was done in a fair manner to all season ticket holders, not just those who renew by May.

Full disclosure, the URI staff was very helpful and resolved the issue right away. But my concern is that others may be unknowingly hurt by this policy.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

URI2006_Andy wrote: 5 years ago Over the weekend, I renewed my season tickets. I’ve had the same seats for over 5 years and my confirmation email listed my same seats.

This morning I got a call from URI saying my seats weren’t available because I missed a May 1st deadline. I admit I received the blast emails and voicemails about a May 1st date but these actions, like prior years, appeared to be solicitation of an early bird special where URI will give you a free jersey if you renew early. Not a notice that we’ll be moving your seats after 5+ years. (URI has my mailing address, send me a letter)

Anyone have any insight into the reason for this policy? I hope the intended purpose of this reshuffling policy is the result of giving the students better (mid-court) seating. I would gladly move for the students or for displaced season ticket holders who had better seating than me, especially if the move was done in a fair manner to all season ticket holders, not just those who renew by May.

Full disclosure, the URI staff was very helpful and resolved the issue right away. But my concern is that others may be unknowingly hurt by this policy.

My take is, how would they know you planned on keeping the same seats without you contacting them to renew your seats?
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI2006_Andy wrote: 5 years ago Over the weekend, I renewed my season tickets. I’ve had the same seats for over 5 years and my confirmation email listed my same seats.

My take is, how would they know you planned on keeping the same seats without you contacting them to renew your seats?
And how was this different from the prior 4 years?did URI change something?
2 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

I see the value in URI knowing ASAP who is renewing their season tickets and who is not. I will do a better job letting them know next season.

There is also value in not upsetting your season ticket holders. And it was upsetting for me to learn that URI accepted my full payment and sent me a confirmation email that specifically listed my seats as being the same ones I’ve had the last 5 years all while knowing that they already gave my seats away.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI2006_Andy wrote: 5 years ago I see the value in URI knowing ASAP who is renewing their season tickets and who is not. I will do a better job letting them know next season.

There is also value in not upsetting your season ticket holders. And it was upsetting for me to learn that URI accepted my full payment and sent me a confirmation email that specifically listed my seats as being the same ones I’ve had the last 5 years all while knowing that they already gave my seats away.
The process is the same as prior years (at least the last 3 years).
They gave a deadline. They had new season ticket holders. How long are they suppose to “freeze” all the seats of last year’s season ticket holders? It sounds like the only mistake they made was the confirmation email after you paid that listed your seats as the same as last year. I am glad they resolved itMaureen who runs the ticket function is excellent and has always helped Rhody fans.
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
URI2006_Andy wrote: 5 years ago I see the value in URI knowing ASAP who is renewing their season tickets and who is not. I will do a better job letting them know next season.

The process is the same as prior years (at least the last 3 years).
They gave a deadline. They had new season ticket holders. How long are they suppose to “freeze” all the seats of last year’s season ticket holders? It sounds like the only mistake they made was the confirmation email after you paid that listed your seats as the same as last year. I am glad they resolved itMaureen who runs the ticket function is excellent and has always helped Rhody fans.
I agree that the staff is great. They have a lot of pressure to increase sales particularly in a season when URI is hosting PC. We’re all hoping they succeed. Hopefully my posts will incentivize people who haven’t renewed yet to call now.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I thought from the communication I got that it was pretty clear - if I didn't get off my butt and do something by 5/1, my seats were at risk...

It is kinda whack that they would confirm your seats via email (that you managed to read...and understand...timely, apparently ;) ) and then later take them away...
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think that staff is first class too. They have helped me out any number of times on various issues. I have had nothing but good experiences with them.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago I think that staff is first class too. They have helped me out any number of times on various issues. I have had nothing but good experiences with them.
Agreed! Maureen and Tyler are quality people.
1 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I thought the timeline was pretty clear, too -- it said upgrades and seats for new season ticket holders would be assigned beginning 5/15, so even if you hadn't renewed by 5/1 for the incentives it should have been obvious that dragging your feet beyond the 15th would have consequences.

I truly am surprised, though, that they wouldn't have called you first before giving your seats to someone else. It seems out of character.

(Of course, I renewed well before the deadline and still ended up losing my seats because of the student section expansion, but that's another story.)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

apologies if I missed it...to which section(s) was the student section expanded?
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago apologies if I missed it...to which section(s) was the student section expanded?
They booted me out of 314 and used the word "expand" when they called to break the news -- but I failed to ask for more specifics, and some of us here have assumed that 314 might just be replacing other student-designated sections -- like the 200-level ones in the end zone closer to the URI bench where athletes and other groups often sit. (Section 302 seems not to be affected.)
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Can you request a survey?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RAMFAN wrote: 5 years ago Can you request a survey?
This is the link from my email not sure if it will work for you or not: http://theryancenter.fan-one.com/nl/jsp ... 3ab1a46af7
0 x