'19 MD F Marial Mading (Pacific Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by ace »

What’s this now?

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

How do you transfer without ever suiting up? Maybe because he was enrolled for a semester?

Must be because he was more of a project than the staff thought, and was told he wasn't going to play much?

Or that he could tell he wasn't going to play much, especially with the Toppin commit.

Anyway, if he's gone, better now than later. Gives the staff another opportunity to bring in an impact player.
Last edited by rambone 78 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Maybe another big is en route and he saw the handwriting on the wall
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah we don't need any more Layssards or Tertseas.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

My guess is he wasn’t seeing immediate playing time and decided to cut bait. (Pardon the pun.)
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seven months (and 5 pages) ago we’re celebrating his commitment and now we’re happily kicking him to the curb? Life comes at ya fast, I guess. I know people are reflexively defending all the player personnel changes by focusing on who hasn’t left, but it still seems like a lot.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not good but this is another non-rotational player leaving. There are 849 players entered in the Transfer Portal.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sign of the times I guess.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t think Rhody is kicking him to the curb.
I have always thought (and stated) that he is a project.

Question for those who know the process:
Do players ever put their name in the Transfer Portal and then end up staying?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I don’t think Rhody is kicking him to the curb.
I have always thought (and stated) that he is a project.

Question for those who know the process:
Do players ever put their name in the Transfer Portal and then end up staying?
Yes.

I wasn’t saying URI was dropping him. I was referring to the message board.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm not so thrilled.

Had him here half a year.

Was excited to have a project like this!

We dont usually have 7 footers who dribble and shoot....

Disappointing.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

This doesn’t make sense, what can happen in six months that makes you think that you have no chance to contribute before you even have a year to compete and prove yourself?
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Really bizarre. If he didn't think he was going to play next year, why not redshirt another semester (not sure he can do both semesters since he already redshirted a semester this year). I'm sure the Toppin signing didn't help, but you wonder if there was another factor like grades.

I have seen players pull back their names out of the transfer portal, but only when there is a new coach (Alabama for example) and the new coach convinces them to stay. I don't think Mading is coming back given this scenario.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well he had half a year to see that maybe he wasn't going to play much?

He maybe has potential but kids nowadays want to play and play right away....some are willing to wait and some are not I guess.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago This doesn’t make sense, what can happen in six months that makes you think that you have no chance to contribute before you even have a year to compete and prove yourself?
Or, what can happen in six months for a staff’s opinion of you to change so much? Read back through his thread. Some posters were high on him. We were told Ty loves his game. They got him to sign and come early. And now? Are they going to make him go back to Greece, too?!?!
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

How could he tell he wasn't going to play?

It is probably something else.

Got his feelings hurt?

Thought he was too good?

Doesn't believe in himself?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well maybe he saw that Walker and now Toppin are way better and figured leave now instead of later.

In any event he was likely to see very few minutes for a couple of years?

Mading wasn't the staff's 1st choice recruiting wise, nor the 2nd or 3rd.....
Last edited by rambone 78 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Likely the Toppin signing
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Can we still retire his number?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I just reviewed the Transfer Portal. There are 426 players in the portal who have not found a new school.
Most teams start practicing next week. There are going to be a lot of players hung out there.

Interesting the Portal list Mading at 6’8”.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

So I don’t think anybody had him contributing this season so maybe he thought he was and finally saw the writing on the all? Became impatient to wait a season before becoming a contributor and took the easy way out? We may never know what truly happened here.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Wonder if this has anything to do with potential '20 players as well as what is already on the roster. Sucks to have so many players transfering but if uri can land Darius miles I would trade mading for him any day.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Log jam at the position. Felt over recruited. Nature of the business. Was excited about his ceiling but believe the staff already has something lined up.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Seven months (and 5 pages) ago we’re celebrating his commitment and now we’re happily kicking him to the curb? Life comes at ya fast, I guess. I know people are reflexively defending all the player personnel changes by focusing on who hasn’t left, but it still seems like a lot.
When Christion Thompson announced he was transferring I asked if it was time to get concerned with the player movement happening and people said I was crazy for thinking it. I'm sorry, there are big time issues with the program. This kind of movement isn't normal or healthy. People just keep saying the players leaving aren't that good so it's not a big deal. If they're not that good why are we recruiting them, offering them scholarships and accepting their commitment?
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago Seven months (and 5 pages) ago we’re celebrating his commitment and now we’re happily kicking him to the curb? Life comes at ya fast, I guess. I know people are reflexively defending all the player personnel changes by focusing on who hasn’t left, but it still seems like a lot.
When Christion Thompson announced he was transferring I asked if it was time to get concerned with the player movement happening and people said I was crazy for thinking it. I'm sorry, there are big time issues with the program. This kind of movement isn't normal or healthy. People just keep saying the players leaving aren't that good so it's not a big deal. If they're not that good why are we recruiting them, offering them scholarships and accepting their commitment?

With the amount of transfers happening across college basketball, the average program has 2-3 transfers per seasons. Just the nature of the business currently unfortunately. It’s happening everywhere.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Definitely not concerned. Again, it’s normal. Ugly, but normal.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mading spent 4 months on campus as a redshirt Fr. He practiced with the team for two months. That’s it.
This is not the transfer to conclude there is a problem with the program.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

With the amount of transfers happening across college basketball, the average program has 2-3 transfers per seasons. Just the nature of the business currently unfortunately. It’s happening everywhere.
That's the average, but most transfers are when coaches get fired
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Not good but this is another non-rotational player leaving. There are 849 players entered in the Transfer Portal.
849 / 353 = 2.4 average per program. We are at 3 so we are essentially on the number.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

I’d be a little concerned if we lost one of our projected top 8 rotational pieces for next year but we haven’t so stay positive my friends.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Mading spent 4 months on campus as a redshirt Fr. He practiced with the team for two months. That’s it.
This is not the transfer to conclude there is a problem with the program.
If my math is right, we've had seven players leave early in the almost 14 months Cox has been head coach and that doesn't count Adams breaking his commitment to follow Hurley to UConn. Of the eight players Cox has brought in as head coach in this time, three of them have already left. If that's not indicative of a problem, what would be? There's a talent evaluation issue and/or a culture issue
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Not good but this is another non-rotational player leaving. There are 849 players entered in the Transfer Portal.
849 / 353 = 2.4 average per program. We are at 3 so we are essentially on the number.
Again that 2.4 per program is heavily driven by coaches getting fired which isn't relevant to us and we've lost 7 players early in the last 14 months. We're not essentially on the number, we're well over it
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I wonder if they asked him to redshirt and he didn’t take it well. He’d be the perfect candidate to redshirt given the depth of the SF spot and his need to gain weight for the college level.

I don’t think it’s a big deal, but I’m still bummed as a 6’10 wing is a big plus in the A10.
Last edited by SandorClegane 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I would say a problem would be losing a player that you were upset to see leave?
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If our rotational players start leaving, then I’d panic. Until then, there really is nothing to be concerned about. CT leaving was more about him being close to home than anything else. He earned the right to do that. He wanted to go out as a starter as a senior. Wasn’t going to happen here.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What the f is this
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I would say a problem would be losing a player that you were upset to see leave?
If we're not upset they're leaving why would we even want to bring them in in the first place? This would seem to be a talent evaluation issue
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I haven’t heard of this happening to URI in my entire life. We’re not exactly stacked with forwards either so what gives?
0 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Just look around the A10. Bonnies, VCU, Dayton Have all lost players. Hell, Anthony Grant almost wiped out his whole roster. It’s part of the business. We didn’t lose any major value. I’ll miss the guys like CT of course, but everyone else was either a busy or an unknown.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I haven’t heard of this happening to URI in my entire life. We’re not exactly stacked with forwards either so what gives?
We have too many forwards, that’s the issue. Take another look at the roster composition. Harris, Long, Walker, Tate, Toppin, Mading, Martin (hybrid).
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I mean real forwards with size. (Langevine/Harris) maybe walker.
0 x
GO RAMS
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

What a luxury Cox had w Mading. Get to see how a recruit on campus ,practicing w team and being able to evaluate the fit in person.
Either Cox gave him the word or he knew himself that he was in over his head.

Happy to still have 2 scholarships with how quickly things change in college bb now

Hope they can find that guard that will help us this year.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It’s hard to keep 12-13 players happy. College rotations are typically 8-9 players.
Big Mike - recruited under Hurley, didn’t develop over several years, broke team rules twice
Tertsea - recruited under Hurley, didn’t develop over three years

Aris - recruiting mistake, needed players for practice, Cox & Sutton never saw him play
Omar - late recruit after Adams backed out. This can happen when a new coach is filling a spot late
Mading - left after practicing with team for 2 months. Never suited up. In my opinion a recruiting mistake after missing on top 3 targets.

Players brought in that caused previous players to be pushed down the depth chart - Walker and Sheppard and other ‘19 commits.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I mean real forwards with size. (Langevine/Harris) maybe walker.
Langevine 6’8” 235 lbs
Harris 6’9” 225 lbs
Walker 6’9” 230 lbs
Tate 6’7” 215 lbs
Mading 6’10” 195 lbs

“maybe Walker”?

Mading was never going to be a “real forward”. He is a SF.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t really like the idea of pushing kids out, and I respected Dan’s philosophy about that. But I’m not against having some churning at the back of the roster. What benefit did having Tertsea here for four years bring? As far as I know, he handled his business off the court and was a good teammate, so I’m not mad they didn’t force him out, but if he had decided to leave after a year or two that roster flexibility could have come in handy. A recruiting mistake is on the coach, and he should have to carry that roster spot if the player wants to stay. But the nature of college basketball is that there will be mistakes, especially at our level when trying to find big guys - you take some chances and hope some work out. If it costs you a roster spot, fine. But better if it doesn’t.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Tertsea is still on the roster last I checked. I don’t think he ever left.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago It’s hard to keep 12-13 players happy. College rotations are typically 8-9 players.
Big Mike - recruited under Hurley, didn’t develop over several years, broke team rules twice
Tertsea - recruited under Hurley, didn’t develop over three years

Aris - recruiting mistake, needed players for practice, Cox & Sutton never saw him play
Omar - late recruit after Adams backed out. This can happen when a new coach is filling a spot late
Mading - left after practicing with team for 2 months. Never suited up. In my opinion a recruiting mistake after missing on top 3 targets.

Players brought in that caused previous players to be pushed down the depth chart - Walker and Sheppard and other ‘19 commits.
Facts on facts
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I don’t really like the idea of pushing kids out, and I respected Dan’s philosophy about that. But I’m not against having some churning at the back of the roster. What benefit did having Tertsea here for four years bring? As far as I know, he handled his business off the court and was a good teammate, so I’m not mad they didn’t force him out, but if he had decided to leave after a year or two that roster flexibility could have come in handy. A recruiting mistake is on the coach, and he should have to carry that roster spot if the player wants to stay. But the nature of college basketball is that there will be mistakes, especially at our level when trying to find big guys - you take some chances and hope some work out. If it costs you a roster spot, fine. But better if it doesn’t.
So you hate the idea of guys being pushed out, but if it makes your team better, you’ll get over it? :)
1 x