Christion Thompson is Transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Christion Thompson is Transferring

Unread post by Bos8 »

Per Jeff Borzello and others, Christion Thompson is transferring. Immediately eligible.

0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Re: Christion Thompson is Transferring

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Why did he wait so long to announce?
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Wasn't expecting to see something like this today but, I wish him nothing but the best in the future.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

wow - sad news - wish him the best
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I wish him the best and thank him for his time at Rhody. He is a class act. Our experience level will take a hit but it will open up the logjam at the 2-3 for the younger players.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Best of luck to him!!!!
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Bummer. Great kid.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

That's a shame: hopefully his overall experience at the school was rewarding, but his basketball career just didn't go as planned. A change of scenery may kick-start things...
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

He had to make sure he was going to graduate. If he hadn't, he would've stayed.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I wish things had worked out better for him here but he likely would have seen his minutes diminish.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I do believe I said this after the A10 tournament, but what did I know- I only talked to the kid, and what I said to him then is still true-

Would’ve loved to have him back but thanks for everything he did here.

Did everything the right way. He definitely had some questionable nights but he figured it out at the end. Best wishes wherever you go CT.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That sucks :/

The last of a Rhody Generation right there.

Will suck to not have his experience and I still held out hope that he would have his best year next year.

Best of luck CT!!!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Great teammate and representative of the school, high quality guy in general. Wish him nothing but the best!
5 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There are three scholarship players left from Rhody’s 2017-18 team - Jeff, Cyril & Fatts.
Four players recruited by Dan transferred/left - Akele, Layssard, Tertsea & Thompson.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago There are three scholarship players left from Rhody’s 2017-18 team - Jeff, Cyril & Fatts.
Four players recruited by Dan transferred/left - Akele, Layssard, Tertsea & Thompson.
And two recruited by Cox in 2018 have left (Silverio, Aris).
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Plus Brendan Adams, who backed out of his commitment. Lot of turnover...
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago There are three scholarship players left from Rhody’s 2017-18 team - Jeff, Cyril & Fatts.
True. I don’t count Aris. Practice player brought in.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago
True. I don’t count Aris. Practice player brought in.
They relocated a guy from Greece. I count him.
4 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Ha! - I would hope the staff could find practice players closer to Kingston next time.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's funny how before Aris played here he was a prospect Kevin Sutton was able to bring in due to his connections, then after we saw him play he was just a practice guy and he shouldn't be counted...
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

As long as the good players aren't the ones leaving, I'm OK with it.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago It's funny how before Aris played here he was a prospect Kevin Sutton was able to bring in due to his connections, then after we saw him play he was just a practice guy and he shouldn't be counted...
:D
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Wish him the best at his next school and good on him for graduating but I don’t think he’ll be missed much on the floor or in the locker room.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I believe Aris holds the NCAA record for fouls per minute for his career. He put Rhody in the record books. He has to count.
5 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Concerned that we have lost a veteran depth piece just like last year with Akele. Rotation needs to be deeper than last year.. hopefully new players will step up or CT will be replaced by another capable depth piece
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Have we ever had a 4 year player not get acknowledged on senior night before?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ram1980 wrote: 5 years ago Concerned that we have lost a veteran depth piece just like last year with Akele. Rotation needs to be deeper than last year.. hopefully new players will step up or CT will be replaced by another capable depth piece
Rhody loses Thompson but adds Walker and Sheppard. I would also expect Tate’s and Harris’ minutes to increase next year. This even assumes none of the Fr are part of the regular rotation (I don’t think they will).
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Have we ever had a 4 year player not get acknowledged on senior night before?
He wasn’t sure he was going to graduate and wasn’t sure if he was going to transfer.
EC wasn’t recognized after his 4th year. Obviously came back and was recognized after 5th year.
1 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Thompson I believe will land somewhere closer to home. It hurts our depth at guard, still would be nice to have five guards on the roster. Let’s go get a transfer.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bwerner10 wrote: 5 years ago Thompson I believe will land somewhere closer to home. It hurts our depth at guard, still would be nice to have five guards on the roster. Let’s go get a transfer.
I agree . We learned last year, when Cox did not have many choices when it was obvious that Fatts needed to be taken out. We go into next year with 2 undersized guards and jd and hoping that Hammonds contributes early. Really need to get another guard that can play right away.

I wonder if Amir might be eligible immediately since it was the school not him that forced the decision.

This a good test for Cox; can he find a way to upgrade the roster for next year with a better pick up that Thompson or does he wind up with a version of Aris. ?
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Very disappointed with this news. I always had faith that Christion was going to have a great year. I never jumped on the bandwagon here, that he didn’t contribute enough. I for one, will miss him, as I do Nicola.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Best of luck to CT

I am happy with the news , I think it creates opportunities for others
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Have we ever had a 4 year player not get acknowledged on senior night before?
He wasn’t sure he was going to graduate and wasn’t sure if he was going to transfer.
EC wasn’t recognized after his 4th year. Obviously came back and was recognized after 5th year.
My observation is that he is very connected to his home base back in Louisiana. I wasn’t certain he’d have increased playing time this coming season anyway. Very good kid with a bright future.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Be interesting to see where CT lands ???
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McRam wrote: 5 years ago
bwerner10 wrote: 5 years ago Thompson I believe will land somewhere closer to home. It hurts our depth at guard, still would be nice to have five guards on the roster. Let’s go get a transfer.
I agree . We learned last year, when Cox did not have many choices when it was obvious that Fatts needed to be taken out. We go into next year with 2 undersized guards and jd and hoping that Hammonds contributes early. Really need to get another guard that can play right away.

I wonder if Amir might be eligible immediately since it was the school not him that forced the decision.

This a good test for Cox; can he find a way to upgrade the roster for next year with a better pick up that Thompson or does he wind up with a version of Aris. ?
I don’t get a lot of the comments.
Thompson didn’t play PG or SG. He played the three. His minutes will be absorbed by Martin and Tate.
URI lost one player out of top 7 and adds Walker and Sheppard to the rotation not to mention 3 freshmen and people are worried about depth??? An 8 man rotation when you have two seniors that will play 30 minutes is good. Going deeper doesn’t happen in college BB.
Guards on next year’s roster - Dowtin, Fatts, Sheppard, Hammond.
SFs on next year’s roster - Martin, Tate, Long, Mading
PFs & Cs - Cyril, Harris, Walker, Tate
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 5 years ago

I don’t get a lot of the comments.
Thompson didn’t play PG or SG. He played the three. His minutes will be absorbed by Martin and Tate.
URI lost one player out of top 7 and adds Walker and Sheppard to the rotation not to mention 3 freshmen and people are worried about depth??? An 8 man rotation when you have two seniors that will play 30 minutes is good. Going deeper doesn’t happen in college BB.
Guards on next year’s roster - Dowtin, Fatts, Sheppard, Hammond.
SFs on next year’s roster - Martin, Tate, Long, Mading
PFs & Cs - Cyril, Harris, Walker, Tate
Who was SF when Dowtin played PG and Terrell and EC Matthews were on the wings?

Last season 3 point attempt leaders were:
Russell - 179 - 22.3%
Dowtin - 130 - 35.4%
Thompson - 106 - 25.5%
Martin - 106 - 31.1%

Thompson and Martin played similarly with Martin taking Thompson’s starting role.

Martin and Dowtin played similar roles to Terrell and Matthews. It’s a 3 guard offense and sometimes and increasingly often as the season went on, Hurley went with a 4 guard offense.

Our weakness was 3 point shooting that hopefully will improve significantly this season. Can’t go any lower.
DF8268B8-7BDA-4EDF-894D-141BF3542DFE.png
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seems like a bummer at this point...hate to lose experienced guys that have played significant minutes.
Then again, they could have it covered just fine. Best luck to CT, seemed like a good dude.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Sorry to hear. He did a lot of good things that didn't necessarily show up on the scoreboard. I always thought he had more offensive skills but never showed them consistently. Hope he does well wherever he lands.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago Wish him the best at his next school and good on him for graduating but I don’t think he’ll be missed much on the floor or in the locker room.
What does “or in the locker room” infer? Are you saying he didn’t get along with the team, if so, that’s the first I’ve heard of that...
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Best of luck, thanks for the memories, great kid, great that he graduated but now let's remove his picture from the banner page and move on.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago Wish him the best at his next school and good on him for graduating but I don’t think he’ll be missed much on the floor or in the locker room.
What does “or in the locker room” infer? Are you saying he didn’t get along with the team, if so, that’s the first I’ve heard of that...
I think he means that Christion wasn’t one of the leaders of the team.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

LoveThoseRams wrote: 5 years ago
On the floor, I personally didn't see max effort or particularly think he contributed much(stats back that up). His minutes will be used more effectively by others. In the locker room, I'm saying I heard there may have been some chemistry issues.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

1 x
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......maybe for us this will turn out to be addition by subtraction.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So, “I maybe heard something from somebody, not really sure” is enough to trash a guy on his way out? Cool, cool.

Best of luck to Christion!
9 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The quick commit to Tulane points to this having been in the works for some time.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good for CT close to his home
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I’m a big Thompson fan. Great kid.

However, this makes sense for all parties. We have a log jam at SF so his minutes would be cut down. He made the decision to go to a place where he’d get more minutes.
Not a difficult decision for a 5th yr.

Best of luck Christion.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers