The QB position

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The QB position

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

After spring practices it's probably a good time to check in on the QB position. The biggest part of our best season in recent memory this past year was the improved offense led by departing JaJuan Lawson. If we're going to keep a lot of the improvement from last year we're going to need someone to step up and take over the QB1 role. But what do we have?

Redshirt junior Vito Priore: Made four starts last year with Lawson injured and is leaving spring camp as the starting QB. He completed 54.6% of his passes on 108 attempts and averaged 180.5 yards per start. He tore up Brown, was ok against Maine, was putrid along with pretty much the whole team against Stony Brook, and handled the conditions well against William & Mary. In the spring game he went 7 of 23 for 40 yards, not exactly what you're looking for, before leaving in the second half with a hand injury that doesn't seem to be serious. “When you watched all the way through the spring, it was clear that Vito was a really good operator. This wasn’t his best day today, but he can get the ball to those guys,” Fleming said. “We’ve got very high expectations for what we can get out of the quarterback position and I do believe Vito can handle that job."

Redshirt sophomore Jahkari Grant: Grant went 21 of 37 for 167 yards in the spring game with two interceptions. "I think Jahkari [Grant] made some improvement."

Redshirt freshman Nick Dionizio: Dionizio went 8 of 14 for 90 yards in the spring game. "Glad to see Nick [Dionizio] get some snaps and do some good things."

We also have redshirt freshman Chad Dines who doesn't appear to have played in the spring game and we have Darius Perrantes coming in as a freshman from California. Fleming also said "we’ve got to still bring more into the program. We’re thin there."

Hat tip to William Geoghegan from The Independent, I got the quotes and a lot of the information from the following article which goes into greater depth about the spring game:

http://www.independentri.com/sports/art ... f641a.html
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The QB position

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This team only breaks the threshold when the QB is above average (Lawson, Steve Probst, ect) or so it seems. They need to make a SOLID decision on starting QB.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Maybe Vito can deliver if he has all day, but it seemed to me that he couldn't throw hard enough to get the ball against higher level DBs.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Vito is not the answer.

If Fleming stays with him too long, it won't be good.

From all reports, he was horrible in the spring game, but his backups played pretty well.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In fairness Vito was playing against the first team defense most of the game while the backups weren't
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Dionizio is a sleeper.
Being a walk on is tough.
Fleming and staff work real hard at recruiting. Bet they bring in a good one this summer.
JuCo or transfer.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Another BCS school I would think.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Doesnt look like Jajuan Lawson is getting picked up by anyone. Not even a tryout invite...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
Another BCS school I would think.
Harbaugh will be at URI on June 6
Wonder if he and Fleming have a talk about Peters.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

surprised at Lawson not getting a shot. There are so many bad QBs out there.
Looked real good in all star game.
He can play in europe,cfl,arena etc..
Hope he keeps plugging.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hal Kopp wrote: 5 years ago surprised at Lawson not getting a shot. There are so many bad QBs out there.
Looked real good in all star game.
He can play in europe,cfl,arena etc..
Hope he keeps plugging.

Not all the tryouts have been announced yet.

Also there is so European football.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/about-us/

https://twitter.com/seanshelt12?lang=en

Pete Ram-There is no pro football in europe?
You really did your homework.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hal Kopp wrote: 5 years ago https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/about-us/

https://twitter.com/seanshelt12?lang=en

Pete Ram-There is no pro football in europe?
You really did your homework.

I know they play it, but almost no American college football players go to Europe to play football.
0 x
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

Anyone know if they're are any capable starters still in the transfer pool that could play right away?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I was under the impression that every 1A (FBS) transfer could play right away if they transfer to any 1AA (FCS) school.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That is correct. That was the case with JaJuan Lawson. Where we haven't signed a QB transfer yet I wonder if we're waiting for a couple to shake loose after summer camps start. We got Lawson pretty late from what I remember.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Good point. In a super quick google search, it looks like Lawson announced he was transferring in April and signed in July. I believe Tyler Harris announced his intention to transfer and signed during the semester break, allowing him to be here for Spring Camp (But I could be wrong).
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Any QB transfer rumblings?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl ... 0718ofy15k

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl ... 0718nxkhvh

nothing on QBs yet,but WR and D-line look loaded!
check out the talent pool
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

There is a D1/FBS transfer coming in to challenge from one of the Texas schools.
UT-San Antonio (I think).
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Two transfers from Texas SA?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Might be Alin Edouard. Highly ranked in Florida high school. decommitted from Miami. Signed by Syracuse but doesn't look like he went there. Played one year of juco then went to UTSA. Played a little first year, didn't get in any games last year. A talented dual threat QB if it's him.
Last edited by Iggy1979 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Maybe Shane can shed some light on the transfer situation
0 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

I can't say much, other than I fully anticipate making updates to the roster.
3 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

rhodyfan3 wrote: 4 years ago
According to the UT-San Antonio 2018 football roster he is listed as a Safety although it does mention the following:

#8 Alin Edouard

PositionSaftey
Height6'2"
Weight200
HometownHialeah, Fla.
High SchoolHialeah HS/Independence {Kan.} CC
Previous SchoolIndependence [Kan.] CC
Prior To UTSA
Junior college transfer who played in nine games for Independence Community College … completed 15 of 33 passes for 202 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions … also carried the ball 13 times for 23 yards … as a prep senior, he threw for 1,398 yards and 11 touchdowns while leading the Thoroughbreds to the District 13-8A playoffs … rushed for 432 yards, averaging 5.4 yards per carry.

Personal
Born Aug. 13, 1994.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

25 years old next month? (Someone check my math maybe...)
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh wow he went to Independence? That's the school featured on Last Chance U on Netflix. The coach is nuts. Entertaining show though.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hopefully the missing piece. Likes it to throw it up for grabs too much, but if he can limit his INTs and break off a run here and there. Good open field speed.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

He has a great situation to walk into. A very talented group of wide out to throw the ball to. Between Parker, Colter and even Dorsey there are playmakers at those spots.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Oh wow he went to Independence? That's the school featured on Last Chance U on Netflix. The coach is nuts. Entertaining show though.
Was my immediate thought too as I just binge watched the 4th season...so if my math is right he would have been on the team for the 3rd season of the show. I gotta go back and see if he made any episodes, name doesn’t sound familiar. FWIW season 4 was the most entertaining bc the team was a complete train wreck and the coach went more loco than even imagined.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Sounds like a great athlete who was definitely recuitrted by some solid BCS schools Maybe he just never got his chance to play? Still at 25 years old and never a collegiate starter maybe it’s finally his time to shine. Worst case he could play in the defensive backfield, special teams or maybe as a QB option for some sort of wildcat offense. Good pickup by the staff.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Doesn't sound like much of a passer.

But if he can run like an elite FBS talent then that should free up our talented receiving core.

They'll have to worry about an elite running QB, two very experienced running backs, behind a very experienced offensive line and then we have a top 10 talented receiving core. Or maybe even top five since we may have the best tandem in the CAA in Parker and Coulter.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

When it comes to a dual QB much of the time it’s not the running but the passing that’s the issue. This is purely hypothetical, but if he can’t throw accurately or hard enough, then basically we go back to a Offensively one dimensional team that can’t throw well enough when the running game gets shut down to keep drives going. Plus running the ball more and not being able to utilize your top talent at WR doesn’t seem like a good course of action. Lawson was able to pass and run the ball well enough over the past couple of seasons to keep the defense guessing and the ball moving.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Well yeah if he can't pass well enough to deliver to THOSE guys, then he doesn't need to be running the offense.

If you were recruited by Miami and Syracuse as a QB then you should be able to find those guys against FCS schools.

He'd have to be able to make some tough throws against Ohio and VT if we are going to have a shot to stay in those games. I'm sure the same goes for the Maines and New Hampshires of the world too.

As it stands I dont think we have a QB that could do a damn thing against those teams, so hopefully he can!

I wanna give VT at least some kind of game.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Not a fan of run first mentality QBs. For all the reasons listed already. We need a pocket guy , I’m ok with a scramble but let’s run the offense correctly.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Not a fan of run first mentality QBs. For all the reasons listed already. We need a pocket guy , I’m ok with a scramble but let’s run the offense correctly.

But then you dont wanna statue.

Vito was kinda a statue against good teams like Stony Brook and was beaten badly. Took too long to get the ball out of his hands. They were too fast.

Did okay against Maine though.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

OMG MAINE GAME.

We had the ball at like the 35 on their side right? SHOULD HAVE inside kicked it, like any sane person ever would do and instead kicked it off through the endzone...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Oh wow he went to Independence? That's the school featured on Last Chance U on Netflix. The coach is nuts. Entertaining show though.
Was my immediate thought too as I just binge watched the 4th season...so if my math is right he would have been on the team for the 3rd season of the show. I gotta go back and see if he made any episodes, name doesn’t sound familiar. FWIW season 4 was the most entertaining bc the team was a complete train wreck and the coach went more loco than even imagined.
I was trying to figure out if I remembered him to but nothing rings a bell. I haven't watched the latest season yet but looking forward to it.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

URI has 3 -4 good RB's-Prince Johnson is good.
Pires is another fast,explosive weapon at RB and punt returns,just needs to cut the mistakes (hang onto the ball).
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

He only threw it 33 times in juco. That doesn't seem like a lot of action.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Ive enjoyed the camp preview articles they have posted each day. Today the focus was the QB position

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl ... 0719twqt5i
1 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I’m very interested to see how they handle the QBs. According to that article on GoRhody, it seems Vito is getting heavy work. Not overly impressed with him in Lawson’s presence. He had a big game against Brown, but I think anyone could have with how pathetic the Bears looked.

I’d love to see Grant get an opportunity. He’s been here a little while and played pretty well in the Spring game (for what it’s worth).

New kid from UTSA, not sure what to think. Lots of bouncing around, nothing jumps out at you stat wise.

Imo I think the job should be wide open. Even if you have to shuffle for the first game or two (not a huge fan, but I think we might have to).
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Intrigued by Perrantes potential
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Intrigued by Perrantes potential
Agree, but i still think it will be awhile until we see him. Its rare for a younger QB to step in right away ready to play.
It will be interesting to see what the transfer can do. I’m still curious to see Grant play as well. I wasn’t to sold on Vito last season, but it sounds like he is a hard worker. (As it appears Grant is as well).
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 4 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Intrigued by Perrantes potential
Agree, but i still think it will be awhile until we see him. Its rare for a younger QB to step in right away ready to play.
It will be interesting to see what the transfer can do. I’m still curious to see Grant play as well. I wasn’t to sold on Vito last season, but it sounds like he is a hard worker. (As it appears Grant is as well).

I like how they describe Grant.
They say he has the legs, but also the arm to get it to our playmakers.

That's what we neeeeed
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Whoever fills the spot, just please avoid last second pick 6s that break my little Rhody heart.
1 x
GO RAMS