The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LJ Figueroa from St John’s visiting Western Kentucky Tuesday night.
Could help WKU be a Top 25 team next season

Interesting since WKU is on our schedule next season

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/23/st- ... al-visits/
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Bynum commits to PC.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Good get for the Friars. It would seem this could impact Duke’s minutes down the road. Reeves is a shooter and they’ll need him to play big minutes to have success. I suppose they’ll roll out some three guard looks at times and we are in the position less basketball era.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Why is PC so over the top about getting A10 Guards as t ransfers. Cooley tweeted “It’s an exciting time in Friartown!!!!”
Don’t the have Top 100 re recruits in Duke, Reeves, Gantt.
1 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Why is PC so over the top about getting A10 Guards as t ransfers. Cooley tweeted “It’s an exciting time in Friartown!!!!”

Yes they do but Duke is more of a 2..

Can definitely see a line-up of Bynum, Duke, Reeves, Gantt and Watson in 2 years.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

God dammit those Friars
1 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Rhody1992 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Why is PC so over the top about getting A10 Guards as t ransfers. Cooley tweeted “It’s an exciting time in Friartown!!!!”

Yes they do but Duke is more of a 2..

Can definitely see a line-up of Bynum, Duke, Reeves, Gantt and Watson in 2 years.
hopefully this slows down their pursuit of Hassan Diarra - he was one of their priorities earlier in the spring.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bynum is maybe 5’10”. He is a solid player but let’s not make every transfer into an all conference player. He didn’t make the A10 All Rookie team this year.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

At this rate I think PC has a decent chance to finish in the 8-10 range in the A10.
10 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Bynum is maybe 5’10”. He is a solid player but let’s not make every transfer into an all conference player. He didn’t make the A10 All Rookie team this year.
I think that’s fair, but he fit what PC needed and is a nice get. He can come in and 2 years, hopefully have developed more and understand the system, and play next to some very talented players. I don’t think he will be other-worldly, but should suffice as a starting PG next to those players.

It wasn’t listed on here but they also landed Noah Horschler, who will likely take Diallo’s place. The sit one play one transfer averaged 16 points and 9 rebounds for North Florida.

I think Cooley is trying to be more aggressive with transfers in supporting roles to have better depth and not rely on younger players hitting certain development goals.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Bynum scorched us last year for 19 points. 3/4 on 3pts and 4/4 on FT. He had 7 assists and 1 turnover.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

More and more programs who aren't named Duke are going the same route....trying to bring in transfers who have a track record of success at the college level.

Since the A10 doesn't get many top 100 recruits, and the guys they do get tend to take a couple or 3 years to develop, this makes a ton of sense.

I think going forward we're going to see URI go more toward the Nevada model. We got Walker and Sheppard...don't be surprised if we add more.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Bynum scorched us last year for 19 points. 3/4 on 3pts and 4/4 on FT. He had 7 assists and 1 turnover.
He avg 11.3 points in 37 minutes per game. 4.5 Ast/1.9 TOs. Shot 41.6% FG, 34.3% 3P & 69% FT. Very solid. His height could be an issue defensively. He is listed at 5’10” so he is probably 5’8-9”. Playing against 6’3” PG in the Big East will not be easy.

SJU finished 6-12/14-19 and had a potential pro (Charlie Brown), a transfer to Louisville (Kimble) and a transfer to PC. Why weren’t they better if these three guys are so good.

In general, I think the impact many transfers will have is are overrated.
Tarin Smith for UConn last year is an example.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Bynum scorched us last year for 19 points. 3/4 on 3pts and 4/4 on FT. He had 7 assists and 1 turnover.
He avg 11.3 points in 37 minutes per game. 4.5 Ast/1.9 TOs. Shot 41.6% FG, 34.3% 3P & 69% FT. Very solid. His height could be an issue defensively. He is listed at 5’10” so he is probably 5’8-9”. Playing against 6’3” PG in the Big East will not be easy.

SJU finished 6-12/14-19 and had a potential pro (Charlie Brown), a transfer to Louisville (Kimble) and a transfer to PC. Why weren’t they better if these three guys are so good.

In general, I think the impact many transfers will have is are overrated.
Tarin Smith for UConn last year is an example.
He played against 6'3" pg Dowtin last year and scorched us. Just saying the guy is a pest and a great shooter.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I began my earlier post regarding Bynum with “Good get for the Friars”, and I believe that. I didn’t say great move or a future all conference player. To paraphrase Bill Parcells, I did not put him in the hall of fame. He was solid for St Joe’s and I think he’ll be a solid Big East player. If you get enough solid players and supplement it with one game changing player, you have something. URI certainly could have used him this past season.
I said none of this about Pipkins. I’m not a fan. He’s a shoot first “point” guard who does not make his teammates better.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting that just two weeks ago Pipkins from Atlantic 10 UMASS was the next great PG at PC
Now we have Bynum from Atlantic 10 St Josephs as the next great PG at PC
What does this say about Top 50 ESPN PG David Duke?
Interesting seeing Cooley moving Guards off the roster and moving Guards onto the roster - not sitting still
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Interesting that just two weeks ago Pipkins from Atlantic 10 UMASS was the next great PG at PC
Interesting seeing Cooley moving Guards off the roster and moving Guards onto the roster - not sitting still
Pipkins is a one year bridge to Bynum. I think they will have chemistry issues with Pipkins.
Cooley has determined that David Duke is going to play the SG.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

JimSidd wrote: 5 years ago I can’t speak for anyone else, but I began my earlier post regarding Bynum with “Good get for the Friars”, and I believe that. I didn’t say great move or a future all conference player. To paraphrase Bill Parcells, I did not put him in the hall of fame. He was solid for St Joe’s and I think he’ll be a solid Big East player. If you get enough solid players and supplement it with one game changing player, you have something. URI certainly could have used him this past season.
I said none of this about Pipkins. I’m not a fan. He’s a shoot first “point” guard who does not make his teammates better.
You may be right but I doubt he can be much worse then the play they had from the pg position last year.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Interesting that just two weeks ago Pipkins from Atlantic 10 UMASS was the next great PG at PC
Think it was pretty obvious to most that Duke was more comfortable off the ball. Actually played pretty good at the two at the end of the year
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote: 5 years ago
Think it was pretty obvious to most that Duke was more comfortable off the ball. Actually played pretty good at the two at the end of the year
Wooden,
You are right, it did become pretty obvious Duke was not developing in the PG position. Cooley played a number of guys at PG and at one time it even looked like MAL might have been the answer, but now MAL and Drew Edwards are gone.
In reading Duke’s strengths and weaknesses from the ESPN writer for #49 Ranked and #16 Ranked PG Class of 2018 he seemed to nail it and Dukes less than stellar Performance in running the team should not be so surprising. He still may develop though, still very early in his career. Off the ball may take pressure off and he may develop PG skills anyway.

Weaknesses:
The achilles in his game has always been his jump shot. It has shown growth over the years and definitely improved mechanically, but is still far too inconsistent. Overall though, Duke is still young to the game and far from a finished product. He's the type of guy who is going to make three or four high level plays a night but doesn't yet know how to take a game over and impose his will. He's still inconsistent, very much still learning the game and the nuances of the point guard position, and not yet ready to completely run a team.

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/ ... david-duke
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

sad we can't keep this talent in the A-10
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago

I’m sure if Honor was here, VCU, Dayton, Davidson or probably any program besides Fordham UMASS and La Salle, he wouldn’t have left.

Fordham is beyond a dumpster fire.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago
bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago

I’m sure if Honor was here, VCU, Dayton, Davidson or probably any program besides Fordham UMASS and La Salle, he wouldn’t have left.

Fordham is beyond a dumpster fire.
Who knows...maybe he wouldn't have got the same opportunity to emerge at any of those places?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago I think going forward we're going to see URI go more toward the Nevada model. We got Walker and Sheppard...don't be surprised if we add more.
Nearly everyone who had any meaningful role for Nevada over the last several years was a transfer. I think it is very, very unlikely we will see URI adopt Nevada’s model. We will take transfers where there is a mutual fit as part of an overall roster-building strategy, but we will recruit four year players first and foremost and then supplement it with transfers as the need arises. Nevada basically didn’t even bother to try recruiting four year players.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From Brown to Nevada. Now that’s a drop in academics.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If you are an underclassmen who declared and are not on this list, we will see you back in college BB next year. Only 5 Seniors on the list.

0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Jalen Lecque is interesting - saw someone post yesterday he is ranked only 40 (rivals) and 42 (247) in the final rankings for the '19 class, but is getting invited to the combine? you would think a proven college player would get a look before him - not sure if he had poor grades and might not be eligible for NC State, but thought his invitation was a little bit bizarre.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago Jalen Lecque is interesting - saw someone post yesterday he is ranked only 40 (rivals) and 42 (247) in the final rankings for the '19 class, but is getting invited to the combine? you would think a proven college player would get a look before him - not sure if he had poor grades and might not be eligible for NC State, but thought his invitation was a little bit bizarre.
Jalen Lecque’s plan was always looking to explore going pro after this year. His only decision was to do a prep year or reclassify and go to college in 2018. By all accounts, he is academically eligible to go to NC State, but it was always uncertain if he would actually step on campus.
1 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

ace wrote: 5 years ago
bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago Jalen Lecque is interesting - saw someone post yesterday he is ranked only 40 (rivals) and 42 (247) in the final rankings for the '19 class, but is getting invited to the combine? you would think a proven college player would get a look before him - not sure if he had poor grades and might not be eligible for NC State, but thought his invitation was a little bit bizarre.
Jalen Lecque’s plan was always looking to explore going pro after this year. His only decision was to do a prep year or reclassify and go to college in 2018. By all accounts, he is academically eligible to go to NC State, but it was always uncertain if he would actually step on campus.
Thanks, I guess I was also surprised a kid who has never played a college game and outside of the top 40 in most rankings would even be invited.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago Joining Kira Lewis and Dazon Ingram...

Who’s going to be on that roster when they come to Kingston?
Disappointing. I had hopes that Alabama would eb good. They were not far off from an NCAa bid this past year. With the coach exiting, it appears many players are following. That home game is losing lustre fast.

Hope we do not see a similar scenario with LSU once Wade is shown the door. We need good OOC opponents.
Interesting that Daniel Giddens will be transferring to Vermont
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Drew Edwards, who was the key to Ed Cooley’s only NCAA Tournament win, the miraculous win against USC, will be a grad Transfer at UNC Charlotte. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him excel there.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RJ Cole (6’1” G - Howard) commits to UConn. Sit one, play two. Played HS for Bob Hurley Sr. Not sure if he changes his game at UConn. At Howard he played 38 minutes and took 19 FGA (shot 39%). What happens to Brandon Adams? His Jr year he has Bouknight, Gaffney and Cole ahead of him. Next year he has Vital, Gilbert, Bouknight and Gaffney ahead of him
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice pick up for Tim Cluess and Iona

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/05/15/isa ... on-to-iona
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

May not be a transfer depending on what he ultimately does but Jalen Poyser, St Bonaventure's 4th leading scorer last season, is leaving. While the Bonnies have some good young talent coming back, they will lose three of the top four scorers (avg) from last season's team.

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Mark Schmidt has a way of dealing with losses of personnel.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

you have to wonder why Hurley didn't recruit RJ Cole out of high school?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago you have to wonder why Hurley didn't recruit RJ Cole out of high school?
He was ranked #479 coming out of high school.
Offers from Howard, Brown, Monmouth, Bucknell & BU when he was coming out of high school.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

On-court performance aside, I like that Dan got two St. Anthony guys before time ran out. For anyone who followed or was close to the school, it’s a nice bit of closure.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago On-court performance aside, I like that Dan got two St. Anthony guys before time ran out. For anyone who followed or was close to the school, it’s a nice bit of closure.
Ace, do you think Cole will be similar to Smith at UConn? Or do you expect him to be much better?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago On-court performance aside, I like that Dan got two St. Anthony guys before time ran out. For anyone who followed or was close to the school, it’s a nice bit of closure.
Ace, do you think Cole will be similar to Smith at UConn? Or do you expect him to be much better?
I’d expect better, or at least hope he is. Smith was pretty much a known quantity by the time his fifth year rolled around. Solid with some things but nothing outstanding. Cole mainly played against bad teams at Howard but did have some nice games against some better opponents. He was asked to do a lot at Howard but will have better talent around him now. He shot 42% last year- can that go up with less but maybe better chance options? Until then, he’s a hard worker who will push the young guards in practice. He’s still only 19, at the end of his sophomore year.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

VCU Guard PJ Byrd (FR) to transfer:

0 x