The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ace »

The NYC media is having a lot of fun with this St. John’s coaching search, just putting out all kinds of shared info from anonymous AAU guys and assistant coaches. Messy, messy.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

UCLA thinks this is just another fine and normal coaching search.

1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow, this was Sunday night but we were all watching GoT.

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago Whatever happened to Rick Moser?
Actor in Hollywood.

Rick was on the Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl Champions In Super Bowls 13 and 14.
Steve Furness was also on those two Super Bowl Teams plus Super Bowls 10 and 11

Imagine URI with 2 Players on those 2 Championship Teams Super Bowls 13 and 14?

Moser was a running back but he really excelled on Special Teams for the Steelers. I think he holds the Super Bowl Record for most Special Teams tackles in a single Super Bowl game
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Tough sledding for the Big East this week, first the Hausers leave Marquette which looked like a Top 10-15 team. And now the St John's job can't be filled.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Wow, this was Sunday night but we were all watching GoT.

Haha. No GoT for me at all.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Wow, this was Sunday night but we were all watching GoT.

I think I'm one of like 7 people in the US that has not seen the show.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago

So am I. Little Red is really into it.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Porter Moser has spurred St Johns and will stay at Loyola. St Johns and UCLA in a tight battle for worst HC search in history. A big east school, let alone one with the history and home court (MSG) of St John's, has a lot of egg on their face when they can't attract a Missouri Valley Conference coach.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago

`4 of the 7 live at my house...
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

You couldn’t pay me enough to watch a show based on Magic cards
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think the news surfaced in the FBI thread, but Bran and Jaime seeing each other was way more entertaining!
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Moser and St. John’s are both better off for not coming to terms on an agreement. Moser can chill at Loyola and ride the Final Four appearance for years to come and St. John’s now has a chance to salvage what would have been a terrible hire. I worry who is 4th on St. John’s list if Moser was 3rd.

LSU situation is such a fiasco for so many reasons. It’s incredible, even with the FBI involved, LSU is reinstating a coach on tape! Amazing that schools like LSU and Arizona continue to blatantly act with no regard for NCAA rules and gutless Mark Emmert hasn’t said or done a thing. I’m not surprised by any of this, but it’s just gone to a whole new level with the FBI investigation.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Barnes said he would have left for UCLA, but the 5 mil buyout was too much to overcome.

That's got to make the folks at Tennessee really happy, huh?
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

After that idiotic two-passes-and-a-timeout play he called with 2.7 seconds left in that game, I wouldn't let Barnes coach a CYO team.

Of course, he could always return to that hideous, disgusting institution in the mental hospital. I'd be down with that.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago You couldn’t pay me enough to watch a show based on Magic cards
I tried to watch it and knew it was never something I’d get into. Someone told me, “well you have to watch it from the beginning to know what’s going on”. Did my diligence and viewed the first episode. All set. Magic cards... 😂😂
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Shaolin Swat wrote: 5 years ago
Disappointment in New Rochelle?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

“I can’t imagine watching Game of Thrones” is the new “Am I the only one who couldn’t care less about the Super Bowl?” Cool. Watch what you want. I don’t know what magic cards are, though.

Jerry Carino and Zach Braziller have been great twitter follows for St. John’s info.

4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Magic the gathering??
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I was thinking the same thing in Barnes why even admit You woukd have gone to UCLA ??
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

RhodeIslandRams wrote: 5 years ago
DanInAZ wrote: 5 years ago Been here (close to ASU) since 1995 and every day I wake up like I am on a vacation. Oh, and my sister would like to have a word or two with some of you about ASU's rep as a party school... :shock: :cry:
Ha and both my kids would say ASU sucks! (sry the U of A/ASU rivalry is rough lol)
Hey Dan did we meet at the Rhody/Arizona game a few years back?
I do not think so. I was there but I only met one guy who was too young (I think?) to have kids in college. I also met Preston Murphy's mom and brother.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From NY Post on why Cluess should now be the hire

https://nypost.com/2019/04/16/why-tim-c ... s-to-make/
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Memo to the new big east:

welcome to the life of a mid-major

(The best mid-major conference is still a mid-major conference)
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago From NY Post on why Cluess should now be the hire

Cluess may be the best available option for the Johnnies but he is far from a “home run” hire.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah not a big fan of Cluess

Surprised they didn’t reach out to Mark Schmidt??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago From NY Post on why Cluess should now be the hire

Cluess may be the best available option for the Johnnies but he is far from a “home run” hire.
Home run?
Not even a singles hire
Not even a utility player hire
I would never want Clueless at URi
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Is Mullin still available?
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NY Post Update on the Rejection Path....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com ... earch/amp/
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ending up with James Jones at the end of all this seems like a pretty good save, all things considered.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I don’t understand how Mark Schmidt or Bill Coen have not been been considered at SJU. Both more impressive resumes than Odom or Poser
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Schmidt would be a tremendous hire. He’s got a well-oiled machine going at Bona right now, but it’s still always a struggle there. He’s certainly not one to avoid a challenge. Someone on twitter brought up Phil Martelli’s name and now I can’t stop thinking about that possibility.

That interview with Rapole contained some inaccuracies on his part but it was still a rough look.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I don’t understand how Mark Schmidt or Bill Coen have not been been considered at SJU. Both more impressive resumes than Odom or Poser
Poser made the Final Four two years ago. That will carry weight and also hype to wherever he ultimately goes. Coen has longevity but you are talking about a career .532 coach with 2 NCAA appearances and 0 tournament wins in 13 seasons. Schmidt is the same thing. You are talking about a career .531 coach with 2 NCAA appearances and 0 real tournament wins (sorry I don't count play-in wins) in 18 seasons. The clashing at SJU between the administration and the money has derailed any chance at a real candidate. The admin messed up last time by not wanting Hurley when the money was there to support the hire, and now they may have done it again. I guess the reality is, do you really want a high-end donor running your basketball program making decisions for you?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Poser is 20 games over .500 with 1 NCAA appearance and fortuitous run in a 20 year coaching career. Along with being someone who has never left the state of Illinois. Coen has 2 NCAAs, 2 NITs and was also a major component of winning staffs/NCAA teams at URI and BC under Skinner. And flat out Mark Schmidt is one of the best coaches in the region, I don't give a rat's ass about him only having 2 appearances. That is 2x more appearances than they had in the 35 years prior to him getting there. He has an amazing eye for talent, and has proven to be able to take numerous unheralded guys and turn them into stars. Very Al Skinner like in that regard. He would run circles around Poser, Odom, Jones, and even Cluess. The only guy better that they have spoken to is Hurley. I'd be shocked if he isn't BCs next hire after they fire Christian.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah Poser had that one incredible season.

Otherwise, it's been average.

This year Loyola Chicago won their league in the regular season, but they were not nearly as good as their final 4 team. Even with Custer, Townes and Kurtwig.

They lost to Missouri State 68-32 in a game I saw.... it was not pretty at times.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 5 years ago
What the heck does this mean? "There comes a point where the reality of the situation becomes more clear and moving forward is what is needed."

The reality of 'what' situation?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago
What the heck does this mean? "There comes a point where the reality of the situation becomes more clear and moving forward is what is needed."

The reality of 'what' situation?

That it would not be a good situation to get into?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

That they were stringing him along as they talk to other candidates. Cluess has some self-respect and said see ya later.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Poser is 20 games over .500 with 1 NCAA appearance and fortuitous run in a 20 year coaching career. Along with being someone who has never left the state of Illinois. Coen has 2 NCAAs, 2 NITs and was also a major component of winning staffs/NCAA teams at URI and BC under Skinner. And flat out Mark Schmidt is one of the best coaches in the region, I don't give a rat's ass about him only having 2 appearances. That is 2x more appearances than they had in the 35 years prior to him getting there. He has an amazing eye for talent, and has proven to be able to take numerous unheralded guys and turn them into stars. Very Al Skinner like in that regard. He would run circles around Poser, Odom, Jones, and even Cluess. The only guy better that they have spoken to is Hurley. I'd be shocked if he isn't BCs next hire after they fire Christian.
I agree with you I am shocked his name does not come up for more openings.
Last edited by woodennickel1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Poser is 20 games over .500 with 1 NCAA appearance and fortuitous run in a 20 year coaching career. Along with being someone who has never left the state of Illinois. Coen has 2 NCAAs, 2 NITs and was also a major component of winning staffs/NCAA teams at URI and BC under Skinner. And flat out Mark Schmidt is one of the best coaches in the region, I don't give a rat's ass about him only having 2 appearances. That is 2x more appearances than they had in the 35 years prior to him getting there. He has an amazing eye for talent, and has proven to be able to take numerous unheralded guys and turn them into stars. Very Al Skinner like in that regard. He would run circles around Poser, Odom, Jones, and even Cluess. The only guy better that they have spoken to is Hurley. I'd be shocked if he isn't BCs next hire after they fire Christian.
That's all well and good but most schools are looking for a "splash." The fact that Schmidt is coaching an A10 program (regardless of the resources working against him) probably hurts him, because people like you want him to receive low-major treatment at a mid-major program -- the "well he's not in a good area, he has to do more with less, etc." You need to be able to sell your hire and reinvigorate your fan base (especially if buy out figures are included). Low-major guys might be able to get away with the limited tournament resume, I think it's harder for Schmidt at an A10 school to claim excellence given lack of tournament wins, regardless of the status of the program upon his arrival. So you can diminish Poser's Final Four all you want, but the reality is he took his Loyola team to a place where only 47 other programs had gone in the last 30 years. That's something you can sell and excite your fan base. And unfortunately, excitement = money = resources. If you make a "safe" choice, might take some time to get the $$ to get excited again.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This is what Cluess is referring to when he mentions "emotions" and the "situation"....

http://www.espn.com/new-york/story/_/id ... ries-alive
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI knows all about "safe" choices.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
That's all well and good but most schools are looking for a "splash." The fact that Schmidt is coaching an A10 program (regardless of the resources working against him) probably hurts him, because people like you want him to receive low-major treatment at a mid-major program -- the "well he's not in a good area, he has to do more with less, etc." You need to be able to sell your hire and reinvigorate your fan base (especially if buy out figures are included). Low-major guys might be able to get away with the limited tournament resume, I think it's harder for Schmidt at an A10 school to claim excellence given lack of tournament wins, regardless of the status of the program upon his arrival. So you can diminish Poser's Final Four all you want, but the reality is he took his Loyola team to a place where only 47 other programs had gone in the last 30 years. That's something you can sell and excite your fan base. And unfortunately, excitement = money = resources. If you make a "safe" choice, might take some time to get the $$ to get excited again.
But that’s my point, Moser wasn’t going to excite anyone in NYC which makes him a less desirable candidate. Of whom they talked to only Hurley would’ve won the press conference, so in light of that with this recent pool of ppl I believe guys like Schmidt and Coen have done enough to be in the mix.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago

Please then explain why St John's has targeted Jeff Jones from Yale of the Ivy league and Tim Cluess from Iona of the MAAC as potential candidates. Are they somehow unbeknownst to me above the A-10 and its coaches? Would these two coaches be big splashes?
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It's actually sad watching this unfold.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago It's actually sad watching this unfold.
Bring back Looie!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

Mike Anderson is a pretty good coach if that is who SJU ends up with. He has always been in the south (UAB, Missouri, Arkansas), so will see how he recruits but I think he will be more successful there than Moser, Cluess, or Jones.
0 x