The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago So Bobby Hurley is a done deal to St Johns.....and Bobby Hurley is never leaving the West Coast.....is that right?
Exactly, perfect summary.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago So Bobby Hurley is a done deal to St Johns.....and Bobby Hurley is never leaving the West Coast.....is that right?
Exactly, perfect summary.
Maybe St. John's is progressive and allows Bobby to work remotely?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Interesting article on BH loving the west coast and can He get ASU to get him close to 3 M per year ?? Maybe he does stay

Alford to Reno seems like a good replacement for Muss
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mick Cronin gets $24 million for his 6 total years at UCLA or $4 million per year - not too shabby
People will forget how many and who turned this job down.
Cronin really wanted this job and now he has it plus $24 million
9 straight years to the NCAA Tournament - will be interesting to track his performance
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Mick Cronin gets $24 million per year for 6 years at UCLA - not too shabby
9 straight years to the NCAA Tournament - will be interesting to track his performance

I think you mean he gets $24 Million for 6 years, i.e. $4 Mil a year. Not $24M per year...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamIt! wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Mick Cronin gets $24 million per year for 6 years at UCLA - not too shabby

I think you mean he gets $24 Million for 6 years, i.e. $4 Mil a year. Not $24M per year...
fixed, thanks,
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I don't see Bobby leaving ASU for the following reasons.......1. "The Valley of the Sun" Is easy living, and Sky Harbor is only 5 miles away. 2. ASU in the PAC 12 is a much more prestigious job compared to the reinvented Big East today.

I can see him in the ACC or SEC some day if the right job comes open. I am pretty sure ASU would do everything they could to keep him after the steady improvement they are seeing......To some it may not be a big deal, but ASU has had very little to cheer about for a long time, and he has generated some excitement for the program.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I don't know about prestige but the BE was ranked ahead of the PAC 12 this year.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The PAC 12 is far and away the worst P5 conference and is getting worse every year. If you’re Bill Walton or otherwise from the west coast maybe the name still means something to you, but the Big East is a better basketball conference in nearly every conceivable way, especially if you grew up right in the heart of it. The one thing to me that would argue for ASU over St John’s is not the conference, it’s the schools. ASU has a certain reputation as a certain type of school - it’s fun, basically. The weather is great, it doesn’t take itself too seriously, people there like to party and have a good time. St John’s is blue collar Queens/working class catholic and is maybe the most dreary “good” job I can think of. It’s a very large, urban, private commuter school without much of its own culture. I’m an east coast guy and don’t have much of a desire to leave the northeast, but if I had to spend the next five years of my life on one of the two campuses, it is a slam dunk no-brainer for me.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

By "prestige", I was referring to the "all sport" picture....It's lot more fun to watch football in Sun Devil Stadium, than on the "roof" at Georgetown. Next compare baseball, track, tennis, golf, alumni involvement, endowment, etc............It's a different world in the P5 schools.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

giovanni wrote: 5 years ago
Every single player on Nevada's 18-19 roster is either a senior or in the transfer portal.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Looks like Bobby remains a Sun Devil.

Trust Ace.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not a lot of schools I think I'd leave ASU to coach... Not only does ASU sound like fun, the weather is great and it IS fun....
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah nice to see BH most likely staying at ASU
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Unless Bobby was just incredibly homesick, it would have been shocking to me if he left ASU for St Johns.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Been here (close to ASU) since 1995 and every day I wake up like I am on a vacation. Oh, and my sister would like to have a word or two with some of you about ASU's rep as a party school... :shock: :cry:
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Looks like St. Johns will have to turn it's lonely eyes to Dan Hurley....

Kidding!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If Cluess goes to John there is some thought that Grasso would leave Bryant to go replace Cluess
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Don't think his system works in the BE.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cluess is a guy that most here did want considered for URI
Now he is the guy for St John’s?
More clue’s ( ha ha) to me that the Big East is declining in stature. Bobby Hurley to Cluess is a huge difference.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Don't think his system works in the BE.
.......he has a system?......wonder what Francesa thinks, he was big Cluess guy, and being Johnnie alum.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Don't think his system works in the BE.
.......he has a system?......wonder what Francesa thinks, he was big Cluess guy, and being Johnnie alum.....
technically, "take the 1st 3 you can, and dont bother playing defense...the quicker they score means we can take more shots" is a system, haha
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The NYC high school and AAU contingent is being very loud in favor of Cluess, based on what he has done it's very odd he hasn't had a sniff from a bigger program before St John's...that would be a red flag to me.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago The NYC high school and AAU contingent is being very loud in favor of Cluess, based on what he has done it's very odd he hasn't had a sniff from a bigger program before St John's...that would be a red flag to me.
That doesn't mean they'll send him their best players.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago
From the Cartel to the AFL (or whatever the hell they call that conference)? One year after a Final Four? Sounds like something's very wrong in Columbia, S.C.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago The NYC high school and AAU contingent is being very loud in favor of Cluess, based on what he has done it's very odd he hasn't had a sniff from a bigger program before St John's...that would be a red flag to me.
That doesn't mean they'll send him their best players.
I agree, and it would be very dangerous to just follow that noise in making this decision. The reality is that most if not all of the best NYC players now leave the high school system and go to prep schools in New England, so the local high school coaches don't have the pull they used to. The big AAU programs (New Heights, Rens, Lightning, etc) still have pull but that should not be the sole reason to make a decision like this. As I said, the fact Cluess hasn't had a better offer to leave Iona in the past would be a red flag to me. Guys have had 1 tourney appearance and parlayed that into bigger jobs, while Cluess has had huge success at Iona but has been passed over for a bigger look.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Do we know he has never had a sniff from a bigger program before? Just from looking at his wikipedia page he was born in Queens, played at St. Johns and Hofstra, and all his coaching jobs were probably within 50 miles of where he was born. Maybe he just has no interest in leaving the area.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I still say Martin has to be in the Top 3 favorites for "Next coach to go Woody Hayes" on a player (of either team).
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Martin was only floating the Cincinnat opening for the future. He did not really desire an AAC position. This trial balloon was to test the waters letting high profile schools know he might be available at some point. In the near term, it likely gets him a raise at South Carolina. Many coaches play this game to their advantage.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cluess would be a terrible hire for Johnnies enjoy the cellar

Alford gets a 10 year 11 million dollar contract for Reno they are calling it a home run hire for them
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He will need at least a couple of years to build them back up.

Of course will he go the transfer route to do that, like Musselman did?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Actually sounds like a good hire even if I never heard of Northern Kentucky
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Actually sounds like a good hire even if I never heard of Northern Kentucky
Northern Kentucky is located right across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. The Bearcats actually played there at its 9400 seat on campus arena two seasons ago when their facility was undergoing a major renovation.

Brannen, before being head coach at Northern Kentucky, spent many years in the A-10 as an assistant under Solomon at SBU from 2003-06 and at VCU under Grant from 2006-09. He followed Grant to Alabama and was on his staff there from 2009-15. Been head coach at Northern Kentucky since 2015 where he has compiled 81-51 record. His last three seasons had 20+ wins with this past season at 26-9 and a league tournament championship and NCAA auto-bid. Is a Kentucky native and Marshall alumnus that was a Rhodes Scholar finalist as a college senior.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

DanInAZ wrote: 5 years ago Been here (close to ASU) since 1995 and every day I wake up like I am on a vacation. Oh, and my sister would like to have a word or two with some of you about ASU's rep as a party school... :shock: :cry:
Ha and both my kids would say ASU sucks! (sry the U of A/ASU rivalry is rough lol)
Hey Dan did we meet at the Rhody/Arizona game a few years back?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Actually sounds like a good hire even if I never heard of Northern Kentucky
Northern Kentucky is located right across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. The Bearcats actually played there at its 9400 seat on campus arena two seasons ago when their facility was undergoing a major renovation.

Brannen, before being head coach at Northern Kentucky, spent many years in the A-10 as an assistant under Solomon at SBU from 2003-06 and at VCU under Grant from 2006-09. He followed Grant to Alabama and was on his staff there from 2009-15. Been head coach at Northern Kentucky since 2015 where he has compiled 81-51 record. His last three seasons had 20+ wins with this past season at 26-9 and a league tournament championship and NCAA auto-bid. Is a Kentucky native and Marshall alumnus that was a Rhodes Scholar finalist as a college senior.
Until I started traveling to Cincinnati for business it never dawned on me how close it was to Kentucky. You just think Ohio and midwest and Kentucky and the south and don't think of them as bordering each other. Many people who work at big companies in Cincinnati (P&G, IBM) live across the river in Northern Kentucky.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The Cincinnati Airport is in Hebron, KY

This might be a good hire but this isn’t near the hires of the top AAC schools lately - Hurley and Penny.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago

Until I started traveling to Cincinnati for business it never dawned on me how close it was to Kentucky. You just think Ohio and midwest and Kentucky and the south and don't think of them as bordering each other. Many people who work at big companies in Cincinnati (P&G, IBM) live across the river in Northern Kentucky.

IIRC, Northern Kentucky was Division II up until a few years ago.

And as for geography, there used to be a style of basketball called "Kentuckyiana" -- named for Kentucky and Indiana, the neighboring states where it was played -- man-to-man defense, forwards boxed out and guards rebounded. I think Joe B. Hall and Bobby Knight (before he began using zones) were its last two practitioners. Somewhere in the boxes of books I haven't unpacked is a volume that describes it better than this.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago

In my brief time in ROTC, I spent a summer at Fort Knox which is in Elizabethtown KY just across the river. We had an outing to the Cincinnati Reds one weekend.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think some CinCi ppl wanted Nick Van Exel. Kenyon Martin was loud on twitter over the hire.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Moser would be an uninspiring hire for St. John’s. That one incredibly fluky Final Four run aside, his resume is really thin.

NY Post is reporting Cluess has a buyout in the $2M-2.5M range.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That would be an awful hire by St Johns. 1 good tourney run and a rather mediocre record over a prolonged period of time. Zero ties to NYC. He’d be a decent hire for DePaul but an awful one for Johnnies.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah agree with that also

Moser doesn’t seem like a New York guy
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Whatever happened to Rick Moser?
0 x