'19 MD F Marial Mading (Pacific Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by theblueram »

Yeah, I'll wait the 8 months and see for it myself.
0 x
RhodyRamFan69
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRamFan69 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago

20-21 maybe, i wouldn't expect much from him in 19-20. Be careful not to take too much away from highlight videos, they are just that highlights, they don't show the whole picture. You also have no idea the level of competition in the games being captured. Listen to people who have seen him play a few times, it will take time for him to be ready for A10 comp. He was rated in the 300s for a reason, yes kids bust out from those rankings but hardly ever does that happen in their first year in college.
I respectfully disagree with this take, how does the level of competition he's playing against impact his 3 point shooting % especially being that he's 6'11"? Also the college basketball rating system is a crock of shit how can anyone rank Makai Ashton Langford as a top 50 recruit nationally, while Ja Morant doesn't even get 2 stars? However I will say I don't anticipate Mading to be able drive to the rack the same way he did in this video against legit D1 players. Honestly would not shock me if he turns out to be the best recruit in 19-20 class, this kid has unlimited potential!
You don't think the level of competition and defensive intensity of the opponent effects how a guy performs in a game? Go shoot at your local Y, then go try and make shots against the URI starting 5, let me know if your make percentage is impacted.
I guarantee you my free throw shooting % would be the exact same and being that he's 6'11" guard, I have a hard time imagining a perimeter defender that could block his shot from beyond the arch. Obviously a different story if he's going into the paint, but he's going to be able to shoot over anyone in the country from 3.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

free throws are not contested shots so that is a moot point. We are talking about in game shots. Put Tyrese Martin on him, have him all over him, and then let me see how he shoots. He's 6'11 not 7'11, there are going to be plenty of 6'5/6'6 guys that can make him uncomfortable shooting. To say hard defense doesn't impact how a person performs is kinda crazy.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And I also guarantee your free throw shooting at the Y wouldn't be the same as if you were on the line in a Div 1 game with 6,000 people there and pressure on you. You are diminishing how difficult it is to play high level basketball.
3 x
RhodyRamFan69
Abdul Fox

My point is a 6'11" player shooting over an "elite" 6'4" athlete is more or less an uncontested shot, therefore his shooting % shouldn't drop off. This is why Kevin Durant is a highly effective scorer at the NBA level.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago My point is a 6'11" player shooting over an "elite" 6'4" athlete is more or less an uncontested shot, therefore his shooting % shouldn't drop off. This is why Kevin Durant is a highly effective scorer at the NBA level.
I guess we will know soon. If he can't do it in practice, he won't see the floor. I hope he can and blows everyone away, but we shall see.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago My point is a 6'11" player shooting over an "elite" 6'4" athlete is more or less an uncontested shot, therefore his shooting % shouldn't drop off. This is why Kevin Durant is a highly effective scorer at the NBA level.
Kevin durant is a highly effective scorer bc he is 1 of the 5 best basketball players on the planet. I mean you can’t be serious with that comp. it’s not just bc he’s 6’11. He is able to create space off the dribble and has PG skills with the ball, yes the fact he can elevate with his size makes him unguardable at times but it’s not bc he’s 6’11 it’s bc he’s an elite player. But he doesn’t just stand there and take shots over ppl like you are suggesting this kid will be able to do simply bc of his height.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If that were the case Mike Tertsea should have been dominating Cyril in practice this season bc he has 4+ inches on him and could just turn around and throw in a hook all day. Except that didn’t happen bc it’s not that simple. This kid couldn’t dominate low level prep school kids why do you think he will be able to do that in his FR year.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This height thing isn’t a serious basketball discussion. I hope Mading can develop into a player while at URI and certainly there’s a shot that he does that because he does have unique physical skills, but universally everyone that has seen him play thinks it’s going to little while so fans should have patience.

This is what we do: somebody says the kid is going to be an unstoppable weapon because they think at 6’11’’ nobody will ever be able to contest any of his shots, and next thing you know he’s playing 4 minutes per game next year and people are all upset that he didn’t live up to the hype. There’s a lot more to basketball than being tall and being able to stand in one place and make shots.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I will be happy if he gets 10 minutes a game and 4 points with 3 rebounds....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One reason he's unique is because he grew so fast. That's why he played guard. Besides adjusting to much better competition, he also is still adjusting to his new body. I don't think he's done growing yet either.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am with those who don’t think he will contribute much next year maybe be the 9th man ??

You can tell he has potential and could turn out to be a good one for us

Also he can be a weapon when teams zone us we can use him and that new transfer from ECU to shoot 3s
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Mading is rail thin.. he is going to have to get a lot stronger.. he has the height but more physical players will probably give him trouble.. having him here early is a definite plus
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billy when he was a 6’5” G he was sitting on his high school team’s bench. Let’s not make it like Mading was a 6’5” D1 prospect and then had a growth spurt. He was not.

Reef, Mading has played two halfs of prep school seasons. That is it. We don’t have any stats from a season to conclude he is a high percentage 3 point shooter in games. Compared to other prospects he has very limited game experience.

In posts right after he committed, many posters stated they were looking forward to seeing how he played/developed this prep season. We never got to see that because he stopped playing in Dec. I think enrolling early was a good move for his development but he is going to go almost 11 months without playing in an organized game.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyRamFan69
Abdul Fox

Jon Rothstein has never told a lie:

Please PM if you're interested in joining the official Marial Mading Band Wagon
0 x
RhodyRamFan69
Abdul Fox

Kevin durant is a highly effective scorer bc he is 1 of the 5 best basketball players on the planet. I mean you can’t be serious with that comp. it’s not just bc he’s 6’11. He is able to create space off the dribble and has PG skills with the ball, yes the fact he can elevate with his size makes him unguardable at times but it’s not bc he’s 6’11 it’s bc he’s an elite player. But he doesn’t just stand there and take shots over ppl like you are suggesting this kid will be able to do simply bc of his height.
If you watched the video literally 80% of his baskets were off the dribble lol.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago Jon Rothstein has never told a lie:

Please PM if you're interested in joining the official Marial Mading Band Wagon
I hope you are okay with the official Mading Band wagon meetings being held from the bench, because that is where he will spend well over 35 minutes of his time per game. No way his body is close to being ready for this level and although it was a good move to bring him to URI early, he stopped playing competitive live basketball most of last year. Look towards 2021-22 when he might be able to contribute significant minutes.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago
If you watched the video literally 80% of his baskets were off the dribble lol.
You're right, he's Kevin Durant reincarnated. :)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

2021-22 might be underselling him. I could see him getting solidly in the rotation his sophomore year. A lot of minutes will be up for grabs in 2020-21.

BTW, none of this is a knock on Marial. Kid has massive upside. I just think it’s unfair to him for some fans to put huge expectation on him for his freshman year, when realistically based on the roster and where he is at in his development right now, it’s a developmental year.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Is he still growing?

Was just watching him and the single most encouraging thing about him is the fact that he is not a stiff and appears to have some shooting skills.

How bad could he be?

I don't really expect much of the freshman to play much this season anyway, just Hammond maybe later in the year taking some CT minutes.

This guy though has to be the most interesting player we have gotten in a while.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Is he still growing?

Was just watching him and the single most encouraging thing about him is the fact that he is not a stiff and appears to have some shooting skills.

How bad could he be?

I don't really expect much of the freshman to play much this season anyway, just Hammond maybe later in the year taking some CT minutes.

This guy though has to be the most interesting player we have gotten in a while.
He’s not stiff because he is a PG trapped in a 6’11 body. He had an Anthony Davis like growth spurt
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Mading’s floor is Akele IMO.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hes gonna be a double double machine. Count it.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Hes gonna be a double double machine. Count it.
What is he going to double in? Seriously, I am assuming you mean points but what is the other category?
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
What is he going to double in? Seriously, I am assuming you mean points but what is the other category?
rebounds kid! Tallest/longest player in URI history? Cmon!
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He’s not a front court player, though. People seem to think that he’s going to play inside because of his height. He is a very long wing and would have to add considerable strength to be any factor around the hoop, as a scorer or a rebounder.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
You think he is the tallest player in URI history? You don’t know much about URI history. Will Martell (2011) 7’0”. Blake Vedder (2012) 7’3”
He is not a rebounder. He didn’t get 10 rebounds/game playing at a low level prep school or low level AAU.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

He'll never be a double double machine, but if he works at it he may average 10p, 5r and 4a per game maybe as a Junior, that would be significant and well worth the investment.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Might have been half asleep when I said tallest player lol. I know about will and vedder but my point is, we haven’t seen length like this in a while and he should be rebounding , at least on the defensive end.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Might have been half asleep when I said tallest player lol. I know about will and vedder but my point is, we haven’t seen length like this in a while and he should be rebounding , at least on the defensive end.
If he can shoot treys at 35% he’d be tough to defend on the perimeter.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This is going to be great. We got this kid averaging a double double, shooting 35% from 3, 4 assists per game (that would have been the best on the team this year, ahead of both Dowtin and Fatts). He's better than Zion!!
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago This is going to be great. We got this kid averaging a double double, shooting 35% from 3, 4 assists per game (that would have been the best on the team this year, ahead of both Dowtin and Fatts). He's better than Zion!!
:) :) :)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago This is going to be great. We got this kid averaging a double double, shooting 35% from 3, 4 assists per game (that would have been the best on the team this year, ahead of both Dowtin and Fatts). He's better than Zion!!
One and done?
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

As a fan, I see a lot of potential to one day average 10/10. URI was right to jump on this kid, in the words of Michael Scott.."The early worm gets the..worm".
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
One and done?
I guess you guys missed the “if” at the beginning of my post. ;-)
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
Cmon. LOL. He should work on getting 10 minutes of playing time a game first. He is thin and not near strong enough to get near 10 rebounds a game. I would be shocked that if he ever surprised everyone at his absolute best that he ever got to 5 a game at any point in his career.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

10 months of lifting several times a week can change a body quite a bit. That's how long he'll have been on campus before he plays in his first game. As far as his weight...10 months of cafeteria food , some Kingston Pizza...I know I gained quite a bit of weight (although I wasn't trying)...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This kid will be interesting to follow could have a high upside down the road or possibly not pan out
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago 10 months of lifting several times a week can change a body quite a bit. That's how long he'll have been on campus before he plays in his first game. As far as his weight...10 months of cafeteria food , some Kingston Pizza...I know I gained quite a bit of weight (although I wasn't trying)...
3 months into the 10. Have you seen a recent picture or video?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

He is definitely a boom or bust prospect. If he is good, he could be excellent. I am leaning towards him being really good because he has a nice looking shot with touch from the outside and needs to work on his body. Guys with skill that need to improve the body are more likely in my opinion to succeed (Andre Berry)
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago He is definitely a boom or bust prospect. If he is good, he could be excellent. I am leaning towards him being really good because he has a nice looking shot with touch from the outside and needs to work on his body. Guys with skill that need to improve the body are more likely in my opinion to succeed (Andre Berry)
I don’t know why he couldn’t land across the entire spectrum of success levels.
He has potential. My point on Marial is he needs development that I believe will take at least one year and maybe two.
There have been players before who have made significant leaps in 6 months from project to major contributor but not very many.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago 10 months of lifting several times a week can change a body quite a bit. That's how long he'll have been on campus before he plays in his first game. As far as his weight...10 months of cafeteria food , some Kingston Pizza...I know I gained quite a bit of weight (although I wasn't trying)...
3 months into the 10. Have you seen a recent picture or video?
I have not. I'd like to see one.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Saw him in an Instagram video with Fatts. Still tall and thin. I have also seen him in Chase Campbell’s trading videos so he is working at it and there must be some progress.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

C'mon adam, you're better than that don't cherry pick the thread and put me in your out of context sarcastic quip.
Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago He'll never be a double double machine, but if he works at it he may average 10p, 5r and 4a per game maybe as a Junior, that would be significant and well worth the investment.
I'm tempering expectations, suggesting he may be of decent impact by his junior year, the assist per is a little optimistic but just a shift of the rebound impact to a one of a facilitator.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

For freshman year just develop one post move and work on the jumper. He develops one post move and he will really be a matchup problem. Don't worry about putting the ball on the floor except in transition.

If he wants more time he needs to learn the defense fast.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

If he truly is a PG trapped in a 6'11" body, what role does he fit in on our non-role team? I see him more as SF but can he defend? His defensive ability is going to be what we need to find out since it seems like he has a good shot (in practice at least).
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago I guess you guys missed the “if” at the beginning of my post. ;-)
Hey now, don't be talking that optimism! Plenty of folks will take it out of context and mash it all up to make anyone excited for the prospect of Marial's basketball future sound crazy.

Some of us see his potential and are intrigued, oh noooooo think of all the pressure we're putting on the kid, better dial it back.

I think there is a potential Mading could develop into a very useful match-up problem for other teams by the time he's a junior, can I have the laughing crew's permission to have such high hopes? Adamsky, Rosie BAR and Hamster? love you guys, but off season optimism is my thing!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It was just a joke. I apologize for attempting to have some fun on a college basketball message board and will try my best to never do it again!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

For how much we’re hyping this kid up, at this rate he’s gonna declare for the draft after the first semester.

(Just please please please don’t turn into another Akele, I don’t wanna lose my voice every time he goes into the game.)
1 x
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago It was just a joke. I apologize for attempting to have some fun on a college basketball message board and will try my best to never do it again!
I know it's a joke, don't apologize, I'm also joking, that's why I called you three the laughing crew and screwed with your names, all three of you are highly respected by Running Ram!
1 x
Go Rhody!!!