The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Re: The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago
I read that tweet too quickly and thought it was a Rick Barnes quote :lol:
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Rumored that St John’s is preparing to release Chris Mullins and planning to go after Bobby Hurley
This would be devastating to Dan and UCONN. He'd have to recruit against Bobby and kids are going to play for a Big East school before they go play in the American. To bad Dan couldn't have waited another year, he'd have a better job at SJU in a better conference and be able to recruit in his own backyard. I dont think Mullin is going anywhere for the record.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Shinze88 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Rumored that St John’s is preparing to release Chris Mullins and planning to go after Bobby Hurley
This would be devastating to Dan and UCONN. He'd have to recruit against Bobby and kids are going to play for a Big East school before they go play in the American. To bad Dan couldn't have waited another year, he'd have a better job at SJU in a better conference and be able to recruit in his own backyard. I dont think Mullin is going anywhere for the record.
Dont think St John's is a better gig than UConn...
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

So UCLA would not pay Dixon’s $8 million buyout and now they are interested in Rick Barnes who has a $5 million buyout. Didn’t they learn? Who is running this search?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

GP nails it, as usual.

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’d rather coach UCONN, it’s a blue blood school in my opinion and is still in a very good conference. Actually the AAC rivals the Big East quite competitively right now.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

It would be surprising if Rick Barnes left.

He is from Hickory NC which is close to Knoxville, he is old, is winning like crazy at Tennessee.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
I’d rather coach UCONN, it’s a blue blood school in my opinion and is still in a very good conference. Actually the AAC rivals the Big East quite competitively right now.
I will admit the AAC had a very good year probably even better then Big East . Let's see if they can continue with that success. I also think the AAC is still a very fragile conference with any team possibly bolting at the chance of getting a P5 invite . That is why I think the St John's job may be a better situation. Plus the fact UConn's football team is loosing tons of money and something eventually will have to break with that.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago GP nails it, as usual.

The first paragraph of the Parrish's article nails the absurdity surrounding the UCLA coaching search:

Early last week, right after The Athletic reported that UCLA had offered Kentucky's John Calipari a six-year contract worth $48 million, a lot of us who write and talk about college basketball for a living spent a few minutes laughing because, well, because it was hilarious. I mean, how delusional do you have to be to think you could get a coach to leave his great job for your inferior job by offering less money than he currently makes to live in a market where the cost of living is drastically higher?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t particularly care about Barnes, Tennessee or UCLA, but I hope Barnes accepts Tennessee’s counter and burns UCLA just because seeing this shit show continue will be hilarious.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Shaolin Swat wrote: 5 years ago The first paragraph of the Parrish's article nails the absurdity surrounding the UCLA coaching search:

Early last week, right after The Athletic reported that UCLA had offered Kentucky's John Calipari a six-year contract worth $48 million, a lot of us who write and talk about college basketball for a living spent a few minutes laughing because, well, because it was hilarious. I mean, how delusional do you have to be to think you could get a coach to leave his great job for your inferior job by offering less money than he currently makes to live in a market where the cost of living is drastically higher?
The whole piece is savage, I love it.
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago
Shaolin Swat wrote: 5 years ago The first paragraph of the Parrish's article nails the absurdity surrounding the UCLA coaching search:

The whole piece is savage, I love it.
The mea culpa by the UCLA fan twitter handle had me rolling
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Dang...that UCLA clusterduck is lining up just perfect for you-know-who...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rumor is Bobby Hurley as the next coach.

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m not from that neck of the woods and maybe there is some draw for NY/NJ guys to St John’s, but I’d much rather be at Arizona State, personally. St John’s does nothing for me.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 years ago St Johns issues statement about Mullin.....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... head-coach
What dummy this guy is. Why say anything at all? You can’t just keep your mouth shut over the weekend? What were you trying to accomplish with this? (I have some pretty good ideas about the answers to these questions, but none of them are satisfactory to me.)

I want to start a consulting practice where I just help these ADs with their public statements and messaging. So much amateurism for a job you’d think polish and savvy are a prerequisite for.
2 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago Dang...that UCLA clusterduck is lining up just perfect for you-know-who...
Voldemort?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

lol

1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

You guys would know better than me... is Bobby any good? I’ve been incredibly underwhelmed by his track record
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Another reported misstep by UCLA. Shocking. Not really

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PCFriars wrote: 5 years ago You guys would know better than me... is Bobby any good? I’ve been incredibly underwhelmed by his track record
He was an assistant here for one year, and we were terrible so not sure how much first-hand experience we have to say. But what he did at Buffalo was impressive and I do think he’d be a beast recruiting in the east coast if he were to come to the Big East. But as a game coach and program runner? Idk, from the little I’ve seen of Bobby, Dan is the better of the two. My impression (and this could be totally unfair) is that Dan really identifies as a coach and Bobby does it because people will give him a good amount of money to do it and he knows how to do it.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I doubt any school that would have to recruit against him wants Bobby to take the SJU job.
He turned Buffalo into an NCAA Tournament team and turned ASU into the second best team in the Pac12 this year.
I don’t see how you can clearly rate Dan ahead of Bobby. Bobby has made the Tournament 3 times in 6 years including 2 times in 4 years at ASU.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If you have your choice 83, Bobby or Danny who do you take?
I take Danny in a close race. Would love either one, but Danny would be my choice.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bobby will have an easier time recruiting because of the name ID. He will get players. He’s done that at ASU, especially. I’m not saying that Bobby is a bad coach at all, it just feels to me like it’s more a job for him and more a life for Dan. On resume alone, hard to argue that Bobby hasn’t done more so far. But if I wanted a coach to build a sustainable and sound program from scratch, I’d take Dan. Put another way: if I could go back to 2012 and I could have hired Bobby or Dan, even knowing everything I know now, I’d take Dan.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Chris Beard to UCLA? 😂
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
PCFriars wrote: 5 years ago You guys would know better than me... is Bobby any good? I’ve been incredibly underwhelmed by his track record
He was an assistant here for one year, and we were terrible so not sure how much first-hand experience we have to say. But what he did at Buffalo was impressive and I do think he’d be a beast recruiting in the east coast if he were to come to the Big East. But as a game coach and program runner? Idk, from the little I’ve seen of Bobby, Dan is the better of the two. My impression (and this could be totally unfair) is that Dan really identifies as a coach and Bobby does it because people will give him a good amount of money to do it and he knows how to do it.
I couldn’t agree with this more. Thats my perception at this stage. DH is making his own name as a coach... BH is living off his last name. I didn’t like Coach Mullin and I do think it’s a nice coup for the conference if St. John’s is able to poach a coach from a P5 but I’ll be skeptical of him until he proves it there.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Barnes was smart to stay at Tennessee, he has them top 10 and in the better conference why take the UCLA job at age 64 especially when Vols up their offer

I definitely think BH is an upgrade over Mully and can see why SJU is targeting him . I think BH will take that job seems appealing to him
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........does Bobby see himself stalking the side lines at Cameron?.......how long does Coach stay at Duke?.......Me thinks Bobby has got to be in a place to take a program multiple times deep in the tourney before a Duke will even give him a sniff.......his name, player fav and history only goes so far......no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Bobby to St Johns would basically sign Danny's death certificate at UConn

No way he out recruits Bobby in the same area when St Johns name still has some power to it, and the Big East is the better conference.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

St John’s is not on the same planet as UConn as far as a basketball brand. Bobby maybe could squeeze more out of it than some off-brand retread coach, but not sure how that would impact UConn. There are a lot of players to go around.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Bobby seems like a St John’s kind of guy.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

UConn is obviously a big brand and bigger than St Johns. But all the talk about brands and who is what and where is a little over blown. There are tons of "brands" that are damn near dead. The brand is really just the coach in most cases.

Less than 10 programs have been great for different eras with different coaches. And even those programs had down years with bad coaching. High level success is much more delicate and dependent on coaches/those coaches getting the best players by hook or crook than people will have you believe.

How is the Florida brand without Billy Donovan.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Uconn has a larger fan base, more active NBA players, more championships - those things are part of the brand, along with the coach. And the comparison between St Johns and Uconn isn't particularly close. BE and AAC aren't worlds apart anymore, and Uconn has by far a much more impressive history over the last 20 years.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Bobby seems like a St John’s kind of guy.
.....just asking, what is a St John’s kind of guy?.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago UConn is obviously a big brand and bigger than St Johns. But all the talk about brands and who is what and where is a little over blown. There are tons of "brands" that are damn near dead. The brand is really just the coach in most cases.

Less than 10 programs have been great for different eras with different coaches. And even those programs had down years with bad coaching. High level success is much more delicate and dependent on coaches/those coaches getting the best players by hook or crook than people will have you believe.

I agree with this, UConn's "brand" has taken a real beating since Ollie won the NC with Calhoun's players. He basically ran that program into the ground and it no longer carries the same prestige as the UCONN brand once had. Not sure how much UCONN basketball everyone has watched the past several years, but its been a disaster. Calhoun was recruiting kids from all over the country, kids wanted to be at UCONN playing on ESPN in the Big East, that is no longer the case, and on top of that, they now play in a conference that is meh and only marginally better than the A10 (if even). I'm not saying that Dan will not bring them back to respectability, that what Dan does, but in today's recruiting world you cant rely on your brand unless you are Kansas, Duke, UNC etc.. Look at UCLA, a true blue blood program, there head coaching job has been open for over 100 days and coaches are turning down that job. Bobby Hurley at St. John's is not a good thing for UCONN.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago UConn is obviously a big brand and bigger than St Johns. But all the talk about brands and who is what and where is a little over blown. There are tons of "brands" that are damn near dead. The brand is really just the coach in most cases.

I agree with this, UConn's "brand" has taken a real beating since Ollie won the NC with Calhoun's players. He basically ran that program into the ground and it no longer carries the same prestige as the UCONN brand once had. Not sure how much UCONN basketball everyone has watched the past several years, but its been a disaster. Calhoun was recruiting kids from all over the country, kids wanted to be at UCONN playing on ESPN in the Big East, that is no longer the case, and on top of that, they now play in a conference that is meh and only marginally better than the A10 (if even). I'm not saying that Dan will not bring them back to respectability, that what Dan does, but in today's recruiting world you cant rely on your brand unless you are Kansas, Duke, UNC etc.. Look at UCLA, a true blue blood program, there head coaching job has been open for over 100 days and coaches are turning down that job. Bobby Hurley at St. John's is not a good thing for UCONN.
FWIW AAC is much closer to the BE than it is to the A10. I think this is going a bit far with the "beating" the brand has taken, elite players know Kemba, Drummond, Rudy Gay, etc. They know about the national titles, 2014 isn't ancient history. Dan is going to win there, it's just a matter of it it is to the degree their fans will be satisfied with.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I think Florida is doing pretty well. Billy left in 2015 and since they have 3 tournament appearances, round of 32 last two years and an elite 8 in 2015. They're expected to make the dance next year too. Not quite the same as before, but I agree with your overall point.

We became a much better brand when Dan got here. The tradition we have helped, but Dan brought us to the next level.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Bobby will have an easier time recruiting because of the name ID. He will get players. He’s done that at ASU, especially. I’m not saying that Bobby is a bad coach at all, it just feels to me like it’s more a job for him and more a life for Dan. On resume alone, hard to argue that Bobby hasn’t done more so far. But if I wanted a coach to build a sustainable and sound program from scratch, I’d take Dan. Put another way: if I could go back to 2012 and I could have hired Bobby or Dan, even knowing everything I know now, I’d take Dan.
Posters aren’t giving Bobby enough credit for creating a program at Buffalo.
If I was hiring for a P5 or top program I would hire Bobby. If I was hiring for a mid major, I would hire Dan.
1 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I doubt any school that would have to recruit against him wants Bobby to take the SJU job.
He turned Buffalo into an NCAA Tournament team and turned ASU into the second best team in the Pac12 this year.
I don’t see how you can clearly rate Dan ahead of Bobby. Bobby has made the Tournament 3 times in 6 years including 2 times in 4 years at ASU.
I'm not discounting the job at UB but saying ASU is the second best team is a bit of a stretch. Oregon dealt with some injury problems and it took them a while to get their footing. They were clearly the best team in that awful league at the end of the year. That makes ASU #3 in a bad league.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Bobby seems like a St John’s kind of guy.
.....just asking, what is a St John’s kind of guy?.....
Tough city kid ... like Lou Carnesecca
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Posters aren’t giving Bobby enough credit for creating a program at Buffalo.
Bobby did not create a program at Buffalo. His name got them some attention, sure, but they only fired Witherspoon because the AD was a Duke affiliated guy who knew he could get Bobby. When he went to ASU, he took a ton of talent with him, kind of like if Dan had taken Dowtin, Martin, and Fatts instead of “strongly suggesting” the opposite. Nate Oats deserves way more credit for Buffalo’s success as a program than Bobby.

Bobby’s teams play anyone and everyone in the OOC and get some big wins, then are wildly inconsistent in-conference. He could do very well at St, John’s if he wants and would assemble another excellent staff. But unless the job also comes with a 25 man roster, it’s not going to have any influence on UConn’s recruiting.
8 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Uconn has a larger fan base, more active NBA players, more championships - those things are part of the brand, along with the coach. And the comparison between St Johns and Uconn isn't particularly close. BE and AAC aren't worlds apart anymore, and Uconn has by far a much more impressive history over the last 20 years.
I agree with all of this. I just think UConn mens basketball is on life support In terms of contending for national titles and final fours. The NBA active players isn't what it was either. This isn't your brother's UConn Huskies program.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

giovanni wrote: 5 years ago
Must be extra special for him to know he just made the cut for their list of top ten candidates.
1 x