General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

I'm skeptical that cold calling transfers based solely on liking their stats and wanting to "give it a shot" would be a successful recruiting strategy.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago From Kevin Mac Projo article

■ URI finished this season dead last — 351st — in the country in 3-point field goal shooting (28 percent). So that’s why the addition of junior college shooter Jeremy Sheppard is nothing but an upgrade. The Rams remain on the prowl for frontcourt help.
He's right about URI finishing 351st in the country, but it's not dead last as there are 353 teams in D1. Maryland-Eastern Shore and Jackson State were worse.
349 - Maryland Eastern Shore 32 games 172-610 = 28.20%
350 - Jackson State 32 games 155-554 = 27.98%
351 - Rhode Island 33 games 172-615 = 27.97%

NCAA Statistics Website shows 351 Teams
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-m ... eam/152/p8
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hey we're national champs of something anyway!

National champs of bad 3 pt. shooting.

Embarrassing.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago From Kevin Mac Projo article

■ URI finished this season dead last — 351st — in the country in 3-point field goal shooting (28 percent). So that’s why the addition of junior college shooter Jeremy Sheppard is nothing but an upgrade. The Rams remain on the prowl for frontcourt help.
He's right about URI finishing 351st in the country, but it's not dead last as there are 353 teams in D1. Maryland-Eastern Shore and Jackson State were worse.

Attachments
Screenshot_20190405-091821_Chrome.jpg
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Beat me to it, Kyle. I got my info from KenPom as well.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think a good 3 point shooting team isnt exactly reflective on how a team will compete for example; doesn't that fact that URI was one of the/if not THE worst shooting team(s) in the entire country, yet finished the season strong in the A10 semis, while defeating West Virginia, @Dayton, VCU (2) , St. Bonnies, St. Louis, (both A10 tourney final teams) and only losing by 9 @ PC.
0 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I think a good 3 point shooting team isnt exactly reflective on how a team will compete for example; doesn't that fact that URI was one of the/if not THE worst shooting team(s) in the entire country, yet finished the season strong in the A10 semis, while defeating West Virginia, @Dayton, VCU (2) , St. Bonnies, St. Louis, (both A10 tourney final teams) and only losing by 9 @ PC.
That is the kind of thinking that will prevent us from moving forward. When we sum up the season we didn’t even make the NIT coming from a below average conference to say the least. Can you win without being one of the top three point shooting teams-sure, but we don’t have near the talent to mask our lack of shooting. I think Sheppard will be a real nice pickup that will help greatly. I wish they were able to get Reese to replace Thompson. At that point taking Carrigan wouldn’t seem to bad.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago

And to cut it off now, NCAA has 353 teams ranked in the NET. That stats page is missing Cal Baptist and North Alabama.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I think a good 3 point shooting team isnt exactly reflective on how a team will compete for example; doesn't that fact that URI was one of the/if not THE worst shooting team(s) in the entire country, yet finished the season strong in the A10 semis, while defeating West Virginia, @Dayton, VCU (2) , St. Bonnies, St. Louis, (both A10 tourney final teams) and only losing by 9 @ PC.
That is the kind of thinking that will prevent us from moving forward. When we sum up the season we didn’t even make the NIT coming from a below average conference to say the least. Can you win without being one of the top three point shooting teams-sure, but we don’t have near the talent to mask our lack of shooting. I think Sheppard will be a real nice pickup that will help greatly. I wish they were able to get Reese to replace Thompson. At that point taking Carrigan wouldn’t seem to bad.
I'm in no way saying we don't need better shooting, but it is sort of interesting that the worst shooting team in the history of URI? Yet not the worst team. What it does prove is how much potential this team has IF we were say in the middle of the pack % wise.
0 x
GO RAMS
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

starting with the Davidson game on 2/22, we shot 56 for 158, in the last 8 games of the season ......35.4%
2 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

To be truly successful you need to be able to shoot the 3 well. If you don't you're cooked. See Blue Devils, Duke.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So Kevin Mac stated URI was in last place at 351. I looked up in NCAA Stats because you said Kevin/Projo were wrong but in NCAA Stats I confirmed URI was 351 and last. So looks like Kevin used NCAA Stats.

I tried to look up in Ken Pom but I must pay yo Br a member.
So my question is why Jackson State and Maryland Eastern Shore are above URI in NCAA Stars and behind URI in Ken Pom.
Do you have the ability to see games and 3 pointers made and attempted in Ken Pom?
My guess is Ken Pom might not be including post regilar season games whereas NCAA is including all games.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago You can't operate URI recruiting with "never this" and "never that."

URI has routinely punched above its weight in recruiting and on the court for like 100 years. Take your shot and see how things shake out.
Refer to the Bishop, Walker and 7 footer recruitments....
I get what you're saying. You obviously don't get what I am saying.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

So Kevin Mac stated URI was in last place at 351. I looked up in NCAA Stats because you said Kevin/Projo were wrong but in NCAA Stats I confirmed URI was 351 and last. So looks like Kevin used NCAA Stats.

So my question is why Jackson State and Maryland Eastern Shore are above URI in NCAA Stars and behind URI in Ken Pom.
Do you have the ability to see games and 3 pointers made and attempted in Ken Pom?
My guess is Ken Pom might not be including post regilar season games whereas NCAA is including all games.
That NCAA stats site is wrong (see my post above).

KenPom includes all games, even post season games.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ncaa uses all games too right?
Ncaa does not have the 2 teams you mention but they wouldn’t impact URI being last anyway, only whether 351 or 353.
Do you see the three pointers attempted and made in Ken Pom? What makes you think Ken Pom is right vs Ncaa being right?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Kenpom is a stats site, so, I imagine he includes all games, because that's more data and more valuable. Whereas the NCAA, I imagine they might not include postseason, or Division I vs. II match-ups. I don't really think it matters that much - It's not like his point is lessened because URI finished 351 out of 353, instead of dead last.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 5 years ago Kenpom is a stats site, so, I imagine he includes all games, because that's more data and more valuable. Whereas the NCAA, I imagine they might not include postseason, or Division I vs. II match-ups. I don't really think it matters that much - It's not like his point is lessened because URI finished 351 out of 353, instead of dead last.
Yup-the point is that the shooting was awful last year and we won’t get back to the dance unless it improves.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Ncaa does not have the 2 teams you mention but they wouldn’t impact URI being last anyway, only whether 351 or 353.
Do you see the three pointers attempted and made in Ken Pom? What makes you think Ken Pom is right vs Ncaa being right?
The NCAA has 353 team in its NET ranking site but only 351 on its stats site. How do YOU know that the NCAA site is right given that discrepancy?

I was just backing up smarty originally by pointing out that people shouldn't rely on the NCAA site. If you want to flood this board with stats/numbers, the source of that information is key.

BTw, here is the 3pt info from Kenpom.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190405-162846_Chrome.jpg
Last edited by RhodyKyle 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

The NCAA has 353 team in its NET ranking site but only 351 on its stats site. How do YOU know that the NCAA site is right given that discrepancy?

I was just backing up smarty originally by pointing out that people shouldn't rely on the NCAA site. If you want to flood this board with stats/numbers, the source of that information is key.
are we really arguing 351 vs 353? bottom line is we couldn't hit the side of a barn when it came to 3 pt shooting
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

My larger point was that KMac was incorrect on the number of teams in Division I. He was not incorrect in stating that URI is/was a bad three point shooting team (obviously).
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

How are these posts about recruiting?
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago How are these posts about recruiting?
We need a guy who can shoot 3 pts?
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think I got it going yesterday when I mentioned maybe going for another wing scorer. Many folks think we have enough now. As far as I am concerned you can almost never have enough scorers. Hurley brought Stan Robinson in when he already had EC, Terrell, Garrett there and Dowtin on the way. Robinson could score but instead played wherever he was needed. IMO bring in the best player you can get and figure it out.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago I think I got it going yesterday when I mentioned maybe going for another wing scorer. Many folks think we have enough now. As far as I am concerned you can almost never have enough scorers. Hurley brought Stan Robinson in when he already had EC, Terrell, Garrett there and Dowtin on the way. Robinson could score but instead played wherever he was needed. IMO bring in the best player you can get and figure it out.
Agree 100%. This is the year for a 4 mcglynn. Surround a great spot up shooter with a bunch of great athletes.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

looking at the individual player stats it is clear to me we are an average 3 pt shooting team with 2 major exceptions. Fatts need to improve his shooting percentage and Christian needs to be challenged as well. Think we got the right recruit for that.

I am ok using the last spot on a rim protector or a transfer elite level PG to be here after Dowtin leaves. I don’t think that is an immediately eligible player that we can expect when Dowtin is clearly our guy, and I don’t have an issue with that. Maybe Bede if he decides to transfer from VT
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

CT needs to be stopped.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Aren't you also arguing in another thread that we should be involved with Top 25 grad transfer recruits, just because they're Top 25? ;) I'm ribbing you a bit here, but I do get the "argument" the tweet is making. Kind of reminds me of the "Dream Team" USA teams that didn't win gold medals - they were usually just a hodge-podge of elite talent, not necessarily rosters that made sense from a composition standpoint. It didn't even matter for Duke - they had a generational talent, but you still need to surround him with players that complement his skills.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think a big part of it is experience and age/maturity. All other things being equal, there’s a huge difference between a 22 year old that’s played 100 college games and an 18 year old that is playing his first season. To the extent that K and Calipari and other coaches that are pursuing the elite top level talent still have winning championships as their main goal, they’re betting that the talent differential will make up that experience gap. It seems like it basically can’t, save for the one Kentucky team that won.

Definitely agree that roster composition is part of it, but I think the experience factor also plays a huge role. If Duke brought back all their eligible players next year and the year after that and the year after that, they’d likely win next year and probably be the men’s version of the UConn women the third and fourth years (meaning win every game by 30, go undefeated, maybe have one or two teams in the country that could be competitive if everything broke their way).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1748179

Interesting article on experience being a major factor in NCAA Tournament success. It certainly is supported by the contrast of our last two seasons.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Aren't you also arguing in another thread that we should be involved with Top 25 grad transfer recruits, just because they're Top 25? ;) I'm ribbing you a bit here, but I do get the "argument" the tweet is making. Kind of reminds me of the "Dream Team" USA teams that didn't win gold medals - they were usually just a hodge-podge of elite talent, not necessarily rosters that made sense from a composition standpoint. It didn't even matter for Duke - they had a generational talent, but you still need to surround him with players that complement his skills.
TP answers my point. There is a big difference between a High School top 25 player and a college player who has three years experience and has proven himself at the college level. Duh.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Two great coaches going at it in Bennett and Beard
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

431BC0D7-6B08-4D19-B701-318AEB1C8299.png

Anyone know anything about Ishmael Leggett?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Re tweeted by Big Homie......who is Mekhi Long btw...,.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I believe URI coaches are totally focused on ‘20s and ‘21s during this recruiting period which goes April 11-14 then April 19- May 2nd. They are not looking to fill the open scholarship for ‘19 right now. If a top transfer that they know from the past has interest they will pursue. Otherwise they will hold that scholarship to use during the summer or if a midyear transfers comes up.

Right now they are spending a lot of time at schools in the DMV. This weekend and weekend of April 26-28 they will be at AAU tournaments.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I believe URI coaches are totally focused on ‘20s and ‘21s during this recruiting period which goes April 11-14 then April 19- May 2nd. They are not looking to fill the open scholarship for ‘19 right now. If a top transfer that they know from the past has interest they will pursue. Otherwise they will hold that scholarship to use during the summer or if a midyear transfers comes up.

Right now they are spending a lot of time at schools in the DMV. This weekend and weekend of April 26-28 they will be at AAU tournaments.
That makes sense to me. That last scholarship should not be wasted on what essentially is the 13th seat on the bench.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I believe URI coaches are totally focused on ‘20s and ‘21s during this recruiting period which goes April 11-14 then April 19- May 2nd. They are not looking to fill the open scholarship for ‘19 right now. If a top transfer that they know from the past has interest they will pursue. Otherwise they will hold that scholarship to use during the summer or if a midyear transfers comes up.

So, the Carrigan visit isn't happening? Have they stopped recruiting him?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago

So, the Carrigan visit isn't happening? Have they stopped recruiting him?
Not happening.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Excellent decision not to pursue Carrigan.

Imo he would have had bench burn as the 13th man on the roster.

We can do better, and will.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah like the idea to save the scholly for now
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Edit: forgot the impact of rule changes in April. In April, Coaches can only go to AAU events the weekend of April 26-28.
This weekend is a new confusion - coaches can visit and evaluate players - just not at AAU type events. But many ‘20 & ‘21 recruits are participating in AAU tournaments this weekend. Thank you NCAA. This should clean up all the cheating in D1 recruiting :D
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Some of the NCAA recruiting rules are totally asinine.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Guessing Rhody is in to see Josiah Freeman 6’4” SG ‘20. Rated #203 and 7th in State of VA

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So when does everyone think DC lands his first 4* recruit?
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago So when does everyone think DC lands his first 4* recruit?
I would say it greatly depends on how we finish next season but I think 3 years from now. If we can make the tournament the next two years then I think we will start consistently getting a 4* each year. What I care about more than a 4* recruit is consistency.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Jeeze I hope we get a 4 star earlier then 3 years from now. I say next season.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Give me good players, whether four star, three star, half a star.

The next Ja Morant would be cool.

Side note, Harris was a 4 Star on Rivals and ESPN. Yes I know he committed to Hurley first, but I’m sure Cox did plenty of rerecruiting.
0 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Jeeze I hope we get a 4 star earlier then 3 years from now. I say next season.
What would make you say that we are going to get a 4 star recruit next season? Ratings aren’t always the determining factor if a player succeeds, but I doubt we get a 4 star next season unless there is some type of relationship or connection. I would say the over/under on 4 star recruits over a 4 year period is one.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Getting a 4 star recruit doesn't guarantee anything.

Many of those flame out. And some 2 and 3 stars become excellent players.

Unless someone is a top 10 5 star....everything is a big crap shoot.

Coaching and player development is more important than the number of stars next to a recruit's name.

We currently have a 4 star that in his first season played nowhere near the hype. Yes injury played a part in that, but will Harris live up to his ranking or end up a bust?
0 x