Turf and lights coming to Meade Stadium

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Re: Turf and lights coming to Meade Stadium

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/ ... p?tmi=7561

NYG-those are some strong attendance #s for PC hockey. Surprised the donors and Rhody admin. didn't direct the $$ there?
Go start a fund raiser,using the attendance figures for support. Can use the empty seats for discounts to CCD teachers.
I will give,no one else will.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We are a New England School with great local hockey players and great hockey schools and I would love a D1 program at URI, but in this country when comparing the two sports, it's football .......................................................................................................................... then hockey.
2 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yes, but in the northeast it's a lot different when you're comparing FCS football and division 1 hockey
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

URI football averaged approximately 4,447 fans per game last season with 3 wins. PC hockey averaged approximately 3,616 fans per game. A bottom FCS football team averaged more fans than a top D1 hockey team. That's why you invest in football.
1 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:URI football averaged approximately 4,447 fans per game last season with 3 wins. PC hockey averaged approximately 3,616 fans per game. A bottom FCS football team averaged more fans than a top D1 hockey team. That's why you invest in football.
You aren't seriously trying to compare PC hockey revenue to Rhody football revenue...are you?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

My point is , investing in football and it’s facilities is more beneficial for Uri. There’s a solid fan base even with such poor facilities and poor success rate. Any investment can only help this program go up. Multi use facilities with lighting lead to multiple sports plus more events and more involvement by the university itself which acts as a great marketing tool for the athletic teams.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:URI football averaged approximately 4,447 fans per game last season with 3 wins. PC hockey averaged approximately 3,616 fans per game. A bottom FCS football team averaged more fans than a top D1 hockey team. That's why you invest in football.
URI football had attendance of 22,240 last year, PC hockey had 57,000. We would need to average over 10,000 a game to equal that number
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Here are official #s.

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/statist ... attend.php
Hockey East web site shows PC had 16 home games at 2456 per game. Were they playing High school teams?
No wonder why there is no interest amongst the donors or admin..
Headline for hockey homecoming:

"URI Rams Vs. U. of Lowell River hawks"
Feb. XX
"Hot coffee and doughnuts"
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I was going off of the numbers Rhodymob05 posted. So they outdrew us 39,296 to 22,240. Our football program would need to average 7859 a game to have the same attendance numbers as PC hockey.

And again, there's plenty of interest. We had the money to fund TWO hockey arenas, but the athletic department used the first donation for Mackal Field House, against the donor's wishes for the money.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rhody mob has 3616 fans in an arena holding 3030.?
They promote their total attendance over 16 games?

Sounds like something Bryant College would do.
More marketing for hockey taglines:
"no problems for hotel rooms like football"

"no hassle parking"
" tickets available"
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Perhaps you want to take another gander at our football attendance numbers when you're throwing out those taglines. I'm pretty sure the 2877 that came out for the Villanova game didn't exactly provide a shot in the arm for the local businesses, assuming that many even showed up.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

PC hockey should have stronger support from students. Empty seats for a top 5 Hockey East team is a bad look no question. Perhaps PC does a bad job marketing to local youngsters/high schools/middle schools. I don't know anything about PC sports marketing but I have never seen anything other than the occasional promo for Cox coverage.

URI hockey would do well IMHO in D1 as the growth of the sport in S County in the last 10 years has been huge. We certainly don't need a further investment in facilities for hockey. We have that covered. We are ready to go. The Hockey East buy in has historically been too high. Atlantic Hockey is the place to start or perhaps ECAC, Remember we have 2 equally deserving hockey programs to upgrade the women can't be left out of the equation.

Hockey and football have nothing to do with each other at URI.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Shane D wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote:The money doesn't really add up to me. They say this project will cost $4.1 million dollars, but they only show where $3.1 million is coming from. I wonder where the other $1 million is coming from. Also, I thought lights and turf was more of an approximately $2 million project, so what is the rest of the money going to? Seating in one of the end zones? Video scoreboard? And if they're doing stuff other than the lights and turf, why not mention it to build even more excitement?

The other thing I don't understand is the timeline. It would probably be too aggressive to get the lights and turf done before the season starts, but it's certainly doable, at least for the turf. I don't understand why it wouldn't be ready for next season though. It is taking us that long to secure the funding or are they hoping to fold this into a bigger overhaul?
The way it has been explained to me, there is $3.1 raised, and there is about $1 million left to be raised. We are confident in the remaining money coming in. If it comes in soon enough, there is flexibility to have the turf and lights in by 2019. Obviously we prefer the earlier date, but it is contingent on securing the remaining funding.
It appears that money has been secured early. They're talking about possibly needing an alternate venue for the spring game and having the home opener against Delaware under the lights

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Now that turf and lights are coming....maybe the next enhancement will/should be staff pay increases, since we seem to be losing guys to programs that we should expect to beat.
1 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

I agree,we beat Harvard 2X and they take 2 coaches??
1 x
Kirby.Krackle
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Kirby.Krackle »

Any chance we see a Videotron at Meade in the near future? I wish we could see some cool video packages to get the crowd hyped up. Plus, the scoreboard at Meade is super dated.
1 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Kirby-good idea. Also,new entrance way to Meade.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There is a long laundry list of things that need to be done. At least they are starting on it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The scoreboard is from the summer of 2005. It appears that New Hampshire spent about $1 million for their video scoreboard. While I'd love to have one, the East stands still remain the most important task
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Agreed. The stands are the priority. Anything else is lipstick on a pig with a bunch of bandaids.
3 x
GO RAMS
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

With the lights and turf going in this off season ( which is awesome) there was some questions about the spring game and where it would be played.
Would Narragansett high school be an option? They have practice there before in the spring.
Also what about Cranston stadium? Middle of the state, could attract new fans.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Cranston stadium=nice facility w/no locker rooms. Teams/refs look like a bowling or softball league changing.
Typical RI.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

the football stadium at pc?
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

In roughly 1988 0r 1989 Football played a spring game at Cranston Stadium so it is not unprecedented.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhody Blue wrote: 5 years ago In roughly 1988 0r 1989 Football played a spring game at Cranston Stadium so it is not unprecedented.
it was 87
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

2 x
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I have always believe URI should have a D1 hockey program, but never at the expense of football. Choosing between the two sports is a no-brainer given that over 250 schools play football in the two D1 levels and the widespread PR college football gets all over the country. Not so true of hockey which is played by some 50 schools and is regionally focused. Any question about this popularity was dispelled in this past weekend's NCAA hockey regional in Providence with PC as host and participant, 7,400 fans attended Saturday's doubleheader and 5,400 fans attended Sunday's final in which PC came out the winner.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea would love a hockey program, but with more New England schools putting money into football such as Uconn, Umass, UNH, URI ect, it's important to invest. URI can easily get 8-9K fans per game with a decent season. I would also say that the homecoming/parents weekend football game is the largest marketing event at the University. Last years team gave this program life, now lets keep it going.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1st Home Game Saturday September 7th vs Delaware!!!
  • New Turf
  • New Lights
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's not exactly a camera where you can track the progress in real time, but there's been enough Twitter updates where it almost feels that way!

This is something an athletic department like ours needs to focus on doing more of. You can't control what other outlets cover, but there are plenty of ways now to constantly engage your fan base and get the message you want out.
2 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

As a long time fan and someone who played on that field it’s kinda sad to see the grass go. The sod on that field was really good. As I say that I’m also very excited to see the field turf be put in along with the lights. It’s about time URI “ thinks BIG”. Now a days you have to have field turf. Kids expect big time schools to have it. Hell even High schools in little Rhode Island have it.
Seeing these updates are very exciting and the school needs to keep putting it out there. The PR will do wonders for the school and fans. It shows URI is committed to Football!
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodysk wrote: 5 years ago As a long time fan and someone who played on that field it’s kinda sad to see the grass go. The sod on that field was really good. As I say that I’m also very excited to see the field turf be put in along with the lights. It’s about time URI “ thinks BIG”. Now a days you have to have field turf. Kids expect big time schools to have it. Hell even High schools in little Rhode Island have it.
Seeing these updates are very exciting and the school needs to keep putting it out there. The PR will do wonders for the school and fans. It shows URI is committed to Football!
I'll still never forget the flooded field game of 2002.
2 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Sure,Obadiah- key words are NCAA regional and double header.
A more telling stat is the less than 2000 who went to the mayors cup hockey game!
You think hockey is such a great idea-go start a fund raiser. Baseball,Hoops and football don't blink at it.
Bet you can't do it.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Screw it then, lets drop every sport that can't exist off a simple fundraiser! If that's the bar that hockey has to meet then let's put all sports to the test and see whats left!
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Hal Kopp wrote: 5 years ago Sure,Obadiah- key words are NCAA regional and double header.
A more telling stat is the less than 2000 who went to the mayors cup hockey game!
You think hockey is such a great idea-go start a fund raiser. Baseball,Hoops and football don't blink at it.
Bet you can't do it.
I think you totally misunderstood the point I was making. I was dissing hockey!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodysk wrote: 5 years ago As a long time fan and someone who played on that field it’s kinda sad to see the grass go. The sod on that field was really good. As I say that I’m also very excited to see the field turf be put in along with the lights. It’s about time URI “ thinks BIG”. Now a days you have to have field turf. Kids expect big time schools to have it. Hell even High schools in little Rhode Island have it.
Let's hope that they do what's necessary to keep the field from flooding again, along with putting in the field turf.
Last edited by rambone 78 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Obadiah-OK I get it.
A back handed compliment.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Screw it then, lets drop every sport that can't exist off a simple fundraiser! If that's the bar that hockey has to meet then let's put all sports to the test and see whats left!
1. Men's basketball
2. There isn't more than one at URI
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Theres another thread active that can house the hockey discussion. Not sure it belongs in the football thread. I’ll say this, though: if URI already had hockey I probably wouldn’t be advocating to get rid of it. But the fact is we don’t have hockey and the sports we do have could use MORE funding, not less. So unless hockey could be self-supporting then I’m not interested. Of course I’m biased because I think hockey is a dumb sport for hillbilly Canadians and Russians, and it’s fair to point that out, but honestly taking my personal opinion of hockey out of the equation it isn’t something that I would support strictly on financial grounds.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Screw it then, lets drop every sport that can't exist off a simple fundraiser! If that's the bar that hockey has to meet then let's put all sports to the test and see whats left!
1. Men's basketball
2. There isn't more than one at URI
Exactly.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago
Hal Kopp wrote: 5 years ago Sure,Obadiah- key words are NCAA regional and double header.
Bet you can't do it.
I think you totally misunderstood the point I was making. I was dissing hockey!
I’d fundraise the shit out for basketball. Bake sales. Karaoke contests. You name it!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
Let's hope that they do what's necessary to keep the field from flooding again, along with putting in the field turf.
With the amount of coin going into this upgrade and their knowledge of this I am sure irrigation was taken care of.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, besides that 2002 deal the entire field flooded again several years later when there were heavy spring rains for several days.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago I am sure [anything] was taken care of.
Famous last words
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There was even a proposal floated [see what I did there?] years ago to raise the level of the entire field.

Of course that never happened...was way too expensive.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

by adam914 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:06 pm
Screw it then, lets drop every sport that can't exist off a simple fundraiser! If that's the bar that hockey has to meet then let's put all sports to the test and see whats left!

Adam-fine. I will donate to mens hockey (only). If you are relying on any of the following to pay for mens and womens hockey,they will get killed:
1. Booster funds.
2. student fees
3. the state (taxes)
whats your plan? Big on criticism and unwilling to contribute.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hal Kopp wrote: 5 years ago by adam914 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Adam-fine. I will donate to mens hockey (only). If you are relying on any of the following to pay for mens and womens hockey,they will get killed:
1. Booster funds.
2. student fees
3. the state (taxes)
whats your plan? Big on criticism and unwilling to contribute.
I'm not relying on anything. And it's not my job to make a plan. We have administrators that get paid a lot of money to make those plans. I'm just saying if the argument is hockey should only be able to exist off fundraisers then why don't we hold other sports to the same standard? The fundraiser was your idea, not mine.

The funny thing is I'm not even really a hockey fan, I just think a state school in the northeast should be able to field a hockey team because it is a relatively popular niche sport in that region. I also think we could be really good at it. And it's weird to me that people seem to like to brag and are sort of proud that we are too broke to be able to do it.

And to bring it back to football to, I think it's great that the turf and lights are finally happening and its long overdue. But I also find it kind of awkward to be celebrating about our football field finally being brought up to the level of high schools around the country.
3 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I am completely over the hockey conversation at this point. We do not have a hockey team. There has been no discussion from the AD or school about funding a D1 program. We have football. Let's discuss the football program. When hockey becomes real (if it ever becomes real) then we can have this argument.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund