The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Unread post by ramster »

I also was rooting for him since he arrived in Kingston. I’m sorry I never got to see him play any extended amount of minutes during his career here.
Best of luck to him. Great guy, solid student, proud to have him represent our University.
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I respect the guys at the end of the bench a lot. They work hard at practice and appear to be good teammates.. Everyone wants to play but role players are just as important to the cohesion of a team. Would love to see 13 talented scholarship players that maybe solid players but will that work here at URI..
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox is trying to upgrade the roster if at all possible. He realizes the need to do so.

Like others have said, the transfer route might be the best way to go. You have older guys that are more experienced and are more of a known commodity than freshmen. Even a highly rated JUCO will work also.

Dayton is another example of a program that is going the same route. It's almost necessary to keep the program consistently operating at a high level. Especially at the A10 level. Not many 4 stars come to this conference as freshmen, and the 2 and 3 stars we get need time to develop anyway.

Remember, without Iverson and Stan, do we Dance that year? Probably not.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Best of luck to Mike as he looks to choose his next school

This is good news to us as we need to upgrade here
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Omar visiting Hofstra per his Instagram.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Chris Mullins and St John’s year faltered badly the last 3 weeks of the season
Bad to worse today as Shamorie Ponds is getting an agent going PRO
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

St. John’s could also lose Matt Abdelmassih if Hoiberg officially takes the Nebraska job.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RamIt! wrote: 5 years ago Omar visiting Hofstra per his Instagram.
Hofstra was the regualr season champ of the CAA this past year. Missed out on the NCAA losing the tourney final but went to the NIT. Would be a very decent landing spot.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I have to assume its Hofstra or Iona if Omar has the choice...best two mid tier programs in the tri state. Wagner, NJIT, Monmouth, LIU would be the next tier.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree that would be a decent conference for Omar to go to smart choice
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good to see some guys stay. They realize Oats is a good coach
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Word on the streets is the former ECU player has committed to URI!
Per @evendaniels twitter page
Last edited by Rhodysk 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodysk wrote: 5 years ago Word on the streets is the former ECU player has committed to URI!
Posted under the Recruiting thread awhile ago.

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Thanks rhody83
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodysk wrote: 5 years ago Word on the streets is the former ECU player has committed to URI!
Per @evendaniels twitter page
This is an excellent addition
Shooting accuracy!!
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Well if the kid had a conversation with himself it’s hard to argue.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Interesting to note, many of the A10 recruits this year are bigs. A large number of 6’9 / 6’10 kids coming in. Should be a bigger conference in the coming years. It’ll be interesting to see how these kids develop.
- UMass (2), La Salle (1), Dayton (1), Fordham (1), URI (1)
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago Interesting to note, many of the A10 recruits this year are bigs. A large number of 6’9 / 6’10 kids coming in. Should be a bigger conference in the coming years. It’ll be interesting to see how these kids develop.
- UMass (2), La Salle (1), Dayton (1), Fordham (1), URI (1)
Take the heights announced with a grain of salt. Tre Mitchell is 6’8”. Who is the other UMass recruit you are referring to?
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Tre is listed at 6’9, 235 on the 247 recruiting site. Either way, UMass also signed Jalen Thomas. 6’10 center out of Detroit. 3 star.

But yes, agreed. Just interesting. Hasn’t always been a conference where skilled big men go.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How is Umass getting these guys.
0 x
GO RAMS
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago How is Umass getting these guys.

The opportunity to play in front of their massive home crowds! #sarcasm
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago How is Umass getting these guys.
They signed one 4 star in Mitchell (who is coming with his Prep Coach who is reportedly dating his mother).
The other four are ranked #335, #412, #454 and not rated. Preston Santos is #412 - URI passed on him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote: 5 years ago
Big loss for St Joe
Bynum led St Joe in A10 Conference play with 38.1 mpg.
The Freshman PG averaged 36.1 mpg over the full season hitting 35.1 on 3FGs and 11.5 ppg

In conference play he averaged 10.9ppg, 5.2 assists per game and 3.8 rebounds per game.

He just missed making the all freshman A10 team

https://www.philly.com/college-sports/s ... 90401.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jameer Nelson Jr has decommitted from St Joseph’s

https://www.philly.com/college-sports/j ... 3Dsharebar
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hakim decommitted from St Joes as well. Was recruited by Temple and Penn State previously

And Kenan Sarvan decommitted too.
The night before, Hawks commit Kenan Sarvan, a 6-foot-9 inside-out forward from Virginia Beach, Va., had announced the same decision.

https://www.philly.com/college-sports/s ... 90322.html
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Jameer Nelson Jr has decommitted from St Joseph’s

St Joes fans are all frothy because they wanted Jameer Nelson to get the HC job. Which is utterly insane to me.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

St Joes fans are all frothy because they wanted Jameer Nelson to get the HC job. Which is utterly insane to me.
He interviewed. You look at Chris Mullins, Patrick Ewing, Penny Hardaway, most recently Aaron McKee for Temple and wonder why not let St Joseph great Jameer Nelson have a shot? Son already committed for Class of 2020, Jameer loves his school, Philadelphia loves a Jameer.
But Jameer has close ties with Martelli which probably didn’t help things with Jill.

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

He interviewed. You look at Chris Mullins, Patrick Ewing, Penny Hardaway, most recently Aaron McKee for Temple and wonder why not let St Joseph great Jameer Nelson have a shot? Son already committed for Class of 2020, Jameer loves his school, Philadelphia loves a Jameer.
But Jameer has close ties with Martelli which probably didn’t help things with Jill.

Mullins still hasn't had a winning record in conference and has made one First Four in four years. Patrick Ewing has made the NIT once in two years. Penny Hardaway made the NIT in his only year. Jameer Nelson has no coaching experience of any type. That's why you don't give him a shot
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

Mullins still hasn't had a winning record in conference and has made one First Four in four years. Patrick Ewing has made the NIT once in two years. Penny Hardaway made the NIT in his only year. Jameer Nelson has no coaching experience of any type. That's why you don't give him a shot
And they are all still coaching at higher levels than a St Joseph’s
Nelson still got interviewed.
Will be interesting to see how Jill and Lange do next year. Cupboard is bare now with the 3 recruiting decommittments and the Bynum transfer.

I never liked the Chris Mullins or the Patrick Ewing hires from Day 1. Always thought Big East Teams could do better than those hires

But Penny Hardaway I loved from Day 1. I’ve seen him Coach AAU and seen how he relates to the kids, how his kids play hard for him as HC. When you are HC of one of the top AAU teams in the Nation that is some very good experience. All the Head Coaches in the country are watching you and your team in the Nike EYBL games in the summer.

If I was St Joseph’s I’d have taken a chance on Jameer Nelson and his son for a couple of years. Not as high a profile team as St Johns, Georgetown or Memphis. But time, as always, will tell.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Beyond his ties to Martelli the fact he had zero coaching experience at any level makes it a non starter for me. McKie has been a Temple assistant for 5 years under Dunphy, and 5 years before that as an assistant for 76ers. Ewing was on an NBA bench for 20 years. And even Mullin had a decade of experience in front office and basketball operations. Jameer literally has zero relevant experience beyond being a great player and former alum.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jeff Mullins......Chris Mullin.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Will be interesting to see how Jill and Lange do next year. Cupboard is bare now with the 3 recruiting decommittments and the Bynum transfer.

I never liked the Chris Mullins or the Patrick Ewing hires from Day 1. Always thought Big East Teams could do better than those hires

But Penny Hardaway I loved from Day 1. I’ve seen him Coach AAU and seen how he relates to the kids, how his kids play hard for him as HC. When you are HC of one of the top AAU teams in the Nation that is some very good experience. All the Head Coaches in the country are watching you and your team in the Nike EYBL games in the summer.

If I was St Joseph’s I’d have taken a chance on Jameer Nelson and his son for a couple of years. Not as high a profile team as St Johns, Georgetown or Memphis. But time, as always, will tell.
Would you be ok with Cuttino Mobley being hired here if we were 20-34 in the A10 over the last 3 years? I love Cat, but I wouldn't be. St. Joe's needs a coach, something Jameer Nelson isn't at this point, not some legend to stand on the sideline to remind older fans of the glory days. Honestly he probably didn't even merit an interview, the fact that he got one speaks to his legacy, but that's not enough for a job
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Would you be ok with Cuttino Mobley being hired here if we were 20-34 in the A10 over the last 3 years? I love Cat, but I wouldn't be. St. Joe's needs a coach, something Jameer Nelson isn't at this point, not some legend to stand on the sideline to remind older fans of the glory days. Honestly he probably didn't even merit an interview, the fact that he got one speaks to his legacy, but that's not enough for a job
I want what’s best for the A10. I’m not a hater of Phil Martelli, UMASS, VCU, Fordham, Duquesne, etc like some here. I loved the Keith Dambrot hire, and also liked the McCall hire at UMASS, still do.
For me St Joesphs hired a loose cannon for an AD and handled the Martelli dismissal poorly. 3 recruits have bailed including Jameer Nelson Jr, a legacy. Bynum has left after playing 38.1 minutes Pre game last year as a freshman.
Would Jameer Nelson be a risk? Sure. But he is a Philadelphia guy, similar to Penny Hardaway in Memphis. Idolized by the community.
Could be a bust, or could be a long term Coach in Philly
Aaron McKee is takingnthe job at Temple following a well managed, well planned, well executed transition from a legendary HC at Temple. Similar transition could have taken place at St Joseph’s but it didn’t. Jill wanted to take full credit and she did. Poorly worded release documents to say the least.
The A10 let a long term HC go in disgrace.
The new HC will hang around until the next opening pops up and will bolt.
Nelson represented a long term possibility.
But let’s see what the Navy HC can do.
I’d have rolled the dice with Nelson considering the shambles the program is in now
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster, to your point, if Martelli wanted Jameer Nelson to take over for him he could have put him on staff there like McKee was at Temple. Maybe Martelli did not see the writing on the wall and hadn’t ever thought about a succession plan for himself that would allow him to remain attached there after his coaching days were over, but he probably should have - at least after the longtime AD retired if not earlier due to his age. Calhoun was able to hand off the UConn program to one of his former players because he was on staff there at the time, and he remained close enough to the program that he played a big role even in replacing THAT guy years later. Dan was able to hand off the program here to essentially a hand-picked successor even though Cox wasn’t one of Dan’s former players here. You can do that if you get ahead of things, but if you’re run out on a rail the chances that one of your guys (with zero experience) is going to be brought in to replace you is a pipe dream.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I hope all A10 teams make good hires. That's crucial for the conference. I have no way of knowing if Nelson would've been a better choice. Time will tell but am surprised that URI fans would have such a strong reaction to the hire.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

The Saint Joes exodus continues
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Think he went to the same high school as Omar - he was heavily recruited out of high school, but somewhat raw. s/b interesting to see where he goes.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago

Oh boy they're going to be bad next year. Hate to see it.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Think he went to the same high school as Omar - he was heavily recruited out of high school, but somewhat raw. s/b interesting to see where he goes.
He's a massive headache with an inflated sense of self. He invented the dumb ass Jelly layup and Jellyfam handle on Insta. Typical modern day byproduct of highlight videos and social media buzz. He should go to Iona and average 40 a game, though he probably has too big an ego to take such a large step down in conference.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm thinking it's going to take a while for St Joe's to recover from this.

They had a stable program that was probably going to go back to the tournament next year because that's how they had been trending the last few years.

They have just had an ungodly amount of injuries the last couple years. I mean what could Martelli do about that? That's just really bad luck.

Maybe he needed to go, but not like that.

They should've gave him another year or two to see if he can get things going. Give him a clear objective as to what you want out of him, so that he knows what to expect, instead of pulling the chair out from under a legend and sending the program in complete dissaray.

I cant see anyone turning that ship around anytime soon.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

They were 6-12 in conference and have been trending down, they're not some team on the verge. They weren't going to the tournament next year
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago

Between them, UMass and GW (not to mention perennial cellar-dweller Fordham), the bottom of the A10 is going to be really bad next year
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If the A10 has any clue what they’re doing, those teams will all play each other twice, and they will all be quarantined from the expected top handful of teams.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Shaolin Swat wrote: 5 years ago

Between them, UMass and GW (not to mention perennial cellar-dweller Fordham), the bottom of the A10 is going to be really bad next year
Even though they were bad, URI couldn't even manage a winning record versus those three teams last year. And that was with three of the four games played in Kingston.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago

Even though they were bad, URI couldn't even manage a winning record versus those three teams last year. And that was with three of the four games played in Kingston.
Point stands that we struggled against them this past year, but we were 3-2 against those teams (Split w/ UMass, Beat St. Joe's & GW, Lost to Fordham).

All that being said, I would be disappointed if we struggle against those teams again next year - as we should be stronger than this past season and those teams will likely be weaker than they were this past year.
Last edited by Shaolin Swat 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

UMass 1-1
Fordham 0-1
GW 1-0
SJU 1-0

3-2
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
Shaolin Swat
ARD

EasyEdBrown wrote: 5 years ago

UMass 1-1
Fordham 0-1
GW 1-0
SJU 1-0

3-2
Thanks, just edited my post to reflect that as well. Apparently it's been one of those days where I can't keep track of wins and losses
0 x